Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC worst failure since MxO and SWG?

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.

It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.

Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

Comments

• FrakkasFrakkas Member Posts: 5

well we dont really know anything yet. There is a lot of guessing going on in the AoC forum.

There is going to be updates on game design every friday, so check it out and make up an opinion when there is some info to base it on.

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by HyborianHero
    I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

What are you rambling about? Funcom is trying a lot different things with this mmo, have you been paying attention? Of course it remains to be seen if the game is any fun, but I don't see how you or anyone else can call it a failure before it's even seen the light of day.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

1. The game hasnt launched yet its not even in beta test as far as i know.This being the case how can it be a failure already?

2.MMORPG'S are games that are constantly evolving.Look at AO itself a funcom production.It has the noteriety of being the worst mmo launch ever.A year later it got mmo/game of the year.

3.For a title like AoC it will be a monstrous task to live up to fans and gamers expectations.

4.As far as gamers go in the mmo genre ive seen so many whiners going off the deep end its not even funny.So expect them to come out of the woodwork as soon as the nda is lifted.

5.It takes a minimal of 1 to 2 years for ANY mmo to evolve to a point where it is stable and solid.In that time frame expect drastic changes from everything to the UI to the questing even to the noobie starting area.

Funcom has a pretty decent reputation with AO and i like to think they know what they are doing with this one.

Look at it this way:They couldt screw it up any worse than if SOE had the title right?

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• DaBearmanDaBearman Member Posts: 52

My problems aren't with the lore in. My problems are with the way their headed with things. The way it's looking this will just be another snorefest from FC like AO is.  They're also making everything revolve around guilds and trying to steer everyone into guilds, so that signals failure to me. The devs there all seem to be of the "we're cooler than Blizz and Mythic" mentality and have let their bloated heads cloud their judgement. If I was a FC investor I'd be making the call to sell my stock asap. This game is going nowhere but out in their "border lands" where hardly anyone will be playing it.
  • CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

It's fun to see people register here just for trolling a game that's not even released yet

get a life trollimage

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

I don't think they are trying to beat out WoW with this game and thus blundering into a mmorpg failure. Rather, it strikes me that they are trying to make a niche game that is innovative and different. The more unique and fresh it is - the better for them to capture the people who are not happy with the gameplay of WoW and others.

As it isn't even in beta as I am sure many posts will tell you - there is no way to determine if this game is headed in any direction - one way or the other. Their pacing and interaction with the fanbase shows that they are actually putting effort into this game and not pulling a D&L.

As a SWG refugee, I can assure you any drawbacks that I see with AoC pale in comparison to SOE's villany and ineptitude. MxO isn't in my realm to speak of but its out and AoC isn't.

Tell you what, check back here a few months after launch and I will gladly answer your question fairly.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by Canigua

It's fun to see people register here just for trolling a game that's not even released yet
    get a life trollimage

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/02/10 

ya never know..

• SiftSift Member Posts: 258

I don't think latching on to the Conan name is a money maker. The original books may have been but shows and movies have really draged the name through the mud already so to say they are going to be leeching off the name seems a bit odd. If anything at first the name turned me off but its the ideas behind the game I like. A little more twiched based combat... mature title.... darker that kind of stuff.

Ya MxO is getting the much fear Combat revision but we have been warned although from all the people that play it on the test server they say its ALOT better then what we already have so the looks are good as far as MxO.

• DaBearmanDaBearman Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Canigua

get a life trollimage

So I registered to make a comment on something, and you don't agree with the comment, so that makes me a troll. Real good linear thinking there. image

Just so you know, I've been following this game for around 9 or 10 months now. I was really excited about it for about 7 of those months. Now with almost every new piece of information that they release about the game, I get more and more annoyed at how they're working to blow it with what looked to be something really special that would take the genre to another level. Maybe not in subscription numbers, but in gameplay anyway.

The fact is that they initially hyped this game up as being the next big thing coming down the pipe. They said it would be based on the casual player and would contain new exciting features never seen before. There's nothing casual friendly about the basic guild run concept  that we now know will make up the lions share of the endgame and nothing casual friendly about the guild only skills that a player will have to have to see most of the game. Nothing new in it's features either. The fact is they're just taking AO in it's latest form and transferring it to the world of Hyborea. You want to play AO's endgame and have any kind of success at all? You have to live in the game. If you can manage to stay awake due to the boredom that is. I know, I played it for awhile.

AO is, and just about always was, almost exclusively populated by the same players for years. These are the ones that stayed even though the games bugs and fixes were crap, and the customer sevice has always sucked. They live in the game, almost all seem to know each other, and are diehard Funcom fanbois and goils. They're also mostly all from Norway and Sweden, and Norway is where Funcom is based. So in other words all AO has ever been is a game who's only real reason for sticking around for as long as it has is because of people wanting to support a game made around where they're from. Go visit the AO forums, or the AoC forums for that matter, You'll see what I mean. I've been lurking there (the AoC) for @ 9 months now, and as soon as someone disagrees with something a dev spews out, or someone sees a flaw in something that the devs say they are thinking about putting in the game, these "FC fans" jump on them like a pack of wild dogs. They wouldn't know the critical thought process if it bit them in the rear end.

What does all this mean? Well it means that they're patterning the this "new" game after one that no one ever really wanted to play, except this small group in western Europe that is. From that, I have formed the opinion that this game is going out to the fringe real fast. That's my opinion and a far as I know I have the right to voice that opinion. Thanks.

Originally posted by DaBearman
    So I registered to make a comment on something, and you don't agree with the comment, so that makes me a troll. Real good linear thinking there. image

Get some fact's behind you'r AoC bashing,and i might consider being less linearimageimage
  • kahnzkahnz Member Posts: 244

posted by Dabearman

That's my opinion and a far as I know I have the right to voice that opinion. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your opinion isn't "Yeah, kahnz, that is exactly right" or "Man you're a freakin genius"

I'd really rather you not clog up this forum, thanks

• HyborianHeroHyborianHero Member Posts: 33

One fact is they have said that the game is geared towards Guilds. If you are not in one you will not get a chance to experience the whole content. Went from casual to guild.

They are also falling far afield of Conan's world in the novels. In far more ways then can be stated here.

They seem to have gone from trying to formulate something new and take a risk to instead taking a look at two currently successful games and taking something from each. It's Guild Wars and Wow mixed in with a touch of Conan.

Let me ask you this, have you ever seen a Crusader in any Conan novel? Ever?

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

Predicting a games demise has become the trendy thing to do these days. I guess folks have a burning desire to be the one to say I told you so on the internet.

I have no idea if the game will bomb or not. AO was a niche game at best and I'm not inclined to think Funcom will make Conan anything more than AO. Folks see one out of place class type and start to turn on their drama queen act and pout and piss and moan. The Crusader/Dark Templar seems to be your classic Paladin/Anti-Paladin routine, judging by the names alone.

I'll reserve judgemenet when I know more about the game, not predict the game the 'worst failure' since MxO, no way AoC can be that bad image

Anyways, drama queen less guy, don't get yourself all worked up over a game.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452
    ill say this, dont rush to buy the game, wait about a day or up to a week after the game is released, all the truths will be revealed.

One fact is they have said that the game is geared towards Guilds. If you are not in one you will not get a chance to experience the whole content. Went from casual to guild.
    They are also falling far afield of Conan's world in the novels. In far more ways then can be stated here.
    They seem to have gone from trying to formulate something new and take a risk to instead taking a look at two currently successful games and taking something from each. It's Guild Wars and Wow mixed in with a touch of Conan.
    Let me ask you this, have you ever seen a Crusader in any Conan novel? Ever?

I still can't see one singel fact in your post.And to answear ur claimed fact,

No they said some of their content is for guild's,what MMO isn't?

the rest you say is just BS

Originally posted by Maldach
    I'll reserve judgemenet when I know more about the game, not predict the game the 'worst failure' since MxO, no way AoC can be that bad image
    Anyways, drama queen less guy, don't get yourself all worked up over a game.

QFT
  • scrawnehscrawneh Member Posts: 220
    ----
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DebaserrDebaserr Member Posts: 5

Finally, forecasting the failure of the game or even the success of a game, months prior to launch is an exercise in futility.

I registered on this site just so I could hype this game. I started playing EQ in March 99, and have played several other titles since, but to be honest Conan is the only one that has appealed to me enough to actually take the time to hype it, although this site has been up since not long after Kunark IIRC.  I think this is primarily because I have really had it with the EQ/AC/DAoC/WoW model of combat and see this title as the first to deliver in actual video (not promises on a website) combat that looks frikken cool.

So, I guess it goes without saying that I don't agree with the OPs comments. I have played the same game with different names for nearly 8 years now, and am quite looking forward to fatality combos that result in decapitation and combat on mounts (even mammoths from what I've read.) Maybe they will screw it up, but I think it's only fair to give them the benefit of the doubt until they actually do. Until then, it stands that this game is at least trying to break the mold and do some different things, and this IMO is a good thing.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

it us far to early to tell, i guess if you are hell bent on them sticking to the novels maybe it has already failed to you. IMO though (and this is pure speculation) i think AoC will either kick mayor ass or it will be awful, I'm hoping it kicks ass.....

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25

diffrent aint always worse :) have great hope for this game :)

In beta we will find out if Gameplay is fun. and if its fun then thats all that matters to me :)

Fish of tommorow

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I think OP is bit funny considering that this MMORPG is one of the few titles that do offer something new to the table and instead of making WoW PvE clone number XYZ they are actually doing a game focused on PvP.

I am certain many PvE fans will be dissapointed in the end and that the game will not be for everyone, but what I have seen and read so far seems very promising as a context. The gameplay naturally will be the make or break point for this game.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25
    im sure the PVE end game will be atleast as good as WOWs :) how hard is it to put in 1 dungeon :)

1 dungeon was enough in WOW atleast for months :) MC raids ftw :P until around 40th run heh

so i guess funcom should be able to provide a better endgame :P who knows maybe they start out with 2 end game dungeons hehe

Fish of tommorow

• EsorllehEsorlleh Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by DaBearman
    My problems aren't with the lore in. My problems are with the way their headed with things. The way it's looking this will just be another snorefest from FC like AO is.  They're also making everything revolve around guilds and trying to steer everyone into guilds, so that signals failure to me. The devs there all seem to be of the "we're cooler than Blizz and Mythic" mentality and have let their bloated heads cloud their judgement. If I was a FC investor I'd be making the call to sell my stock asap. This game is going nowhere but out in their "border lands" where hardly anyone will be playing it.

What you describe as a 'problem' is exactly why I'm drawn to this game.

I want my MMOs clan-based. If I wanted to play by myself for myself I would save the monthly and buy a real RPG.

And I sincerely hope that Funcom realizes that what they had in AO was far better and far more interesting than what Blizz did with WoW and what Mythic did with DAoC. I hope they take pride in it and make the game with the ideas that they envisioned instead of watering it down for ex-WoW players to swallow.

To each their own. But I really really really do hope Funcom doesn't listen to posts like yours.

MMO Fav List:
    Lineage 2 | 5x Silver Ranger, 7x Shillien Elder <- Active
    WoW | 6x Rogue, 1x Priest
    Anarchy Online | 8x MetaPhysicist
    Saga of Ryzom | Matis Light Armourer

Waiting for: Age of Conan, Lineage 3

• exzireexzire Member Posts: 7

Sigh. When are you going to give up? is your ONLY intention to drag the game into the mud, under false pretenses?