Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of the Launch Tube EVE: Valkyrie News - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageOut of the Launch Tube EVE: Valkyrie News - MMORPG.com

Just over a month ago, EVE: Valkyrie launched on the Oculus Rift. At EVE FanFest, we sat down with Lead Designer Andrew Willans to look at what they've learned, how the community's developed, and what's coming up in the next year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    hmm, yah maybe what ive learned is that all CCP new games have been failures due to the limited releases to consoles and gadgets.

sad CCP Games isnt what it used to be. even eveonline isnt what it was or could had been. (ive played it for 4.5 years.)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Maybe they should consider coming up with a control scheme for people who think the game looks fun, but won't play because they don't want to spend $600 on a gimmick?

Once again, CCP shows they have the business sense of a retarded wombat.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited May 2016
    They are taking a gamble that the new tech will be a success and that people will like their game. I wonder how many pilots they have online now?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited May 2016
    CCP has the opposite of good business sense in almost all cases.

They continually release games that go against their established player base and against their own best interest.

They announced DUST and a huge cheer went up cause finally we were gonna get to play an FPS on the planets existing in the EVE universe.  Then they announced it would be a Playstation exclusive... so fuck all of you loyal PC MMO gamers who have spent thousands on powerful video cards, multiple monitor setups for each account and basically centered their lives around the PC.  Nope, F you right in the anal canal cause we're gonna give it to the consolers.

Then they announce something that we've all truly been waiting for.  A PC dogfighting game where we can actually play as the fighters that we launch from our carriers in EVE.  Then they announce that it will be 100% tied to a piece of hardware that costs $700 USD and no one knows what the shelf life of this crap will be.  So lets just exclude the majority of our player base by tying to it a gimmicky gadget.

Anyone with real business sense, would understand that you want to sell as many copies of anything you create as humanly possible.  This means that you don't want console exclusives. You don't want gimmicky gadget exclusives.  You want games that play on every system ever created, even a toaster with a monitor if you can help it.  If you find one guy in Paraguay with a goddamn N64, then you find a way to get him to play your game.  

But no, they keep doing these exclusive and cutting their own purse strings every time they do it.  Blows my mind. 
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I said it a million times, there is absolutely no reason why this game could not have normal flight controls as well as the support needed for the dopey ass, overpriced VR devices.

Bad move.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    edited May 2016
    This is how much people care anything about a new product from CCP. This articles been out for almost a whole day and there are 6 replies including mine about their newest high tech game that just dropped a month ago. All negative.

I've been bored with it since the 2nd week. Idiots should have stuck with WoD.

They repeatedly alienate their player bases by doing the opposite of what people want. And it wasn't droves of players who showed up. It was droves of people who would love to play the game but don't have the cash to shell out for the extra hardware needed to play their open beta. Which is what this buggy mess plays like.
  • ZenerenZeneren Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited May 2016
    "laser focused" LoL i know that approach from before... It went bad in the first place, let's see how it will end on the second try, hmmm i wonder...
  • neveserneveser Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Valkyrie is a blast! Rift arrived on Friday and I've been hooked. Great, immersive experience!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    So you don't like Eve, go play another game.  Basic gameplay has changed little since I started playing.  It is still as popular as ever.  Still see 35-45k players every day.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Eve's pop has been dropping steady for years Ozmodan look at the charts we are seeing numbers as low as in 07 so no its not as popular as ever. I have played for 8-9 years and can tell you 45k hasn't been the "daily" norm in a very long time once a week maybe at best.
    As for the OP what a crock of shit.....more trash that no one will play aside from a select few sad part is a ton of people like myself would love to play it but alas I refuse to spend 600+$ on a device that is pretty much 1st gen and to boot you need about a 1000$ CPU & GPU not counting ram and other crap. I will be very surprised if this lasts longer than a few more months before they shut it down or convert to normal controls used by a very large percentage of the average joe gamers. More cool ideas from ccp with just a train wreck of an execution.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    neveser said:
    Valkyrie is a blast! Rift arrived on Friday and I've been hooked. Great, immersive experience!
    I plan to pick it up just as soon as they get Vive support in later this year. 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Its always amusing to watch people make fools of themselves (time after time...) ^^.

Personal Computer?? Its a fad, a "gimmick", only a handful of people will ever buy one!...

Very few people are going to spend extra money on one of those video card "gimmicks"!...

VR headset?? Its a fad, a "gimmick"!...

VR is still in the early adopter phase. Of course its still relatively expensive, all of that R&D, not to mention production isn't cheap. But by the time the second (not to mention third) generation of headsets come out, the price will start dropping.

Most people who actually try it, want more of the experience. Now that technology has finally developed to the point that its practical, all that remains is to get the price point down, and some high quality applications available.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."