Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar May Be Shut Down in a Few Months ?

2»

Comments

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Not surprised.. It just was not fun regardless of class or faction. The setting and the story were just not that interesting.

I can't think of anything they could do to get me to play this game other than pay me $25/hour plus benefits. 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I started playing again because I want to experience the game before it may go missing.

Having said so: They just added a new area. That's not an indication for an imminent shutdown.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Dakeru said:
    I started playing again because I want to experience the game before it may go missing.

Having said so: They just added a new area. That's not an indication for an imminent shutdown.
    Lego Universe added content right up until the close announcement...
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I still remember those wildstar fans when it was close to launch together with ESO. Eso wont hold it. ANd look now.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    parpin said:
    i am downloading the game to see why it is dying for myself, but in general even 3rd class asian mmos are surviving, it is very secure market and you dont hear closer of an mmo often actually it is kind of rare for an mmo to die for past 5 years.
    but yes it is shame if ncsoft simply pull the plug rather than trying to solve the game problems even if they have to take down the game and do some rework on it like FFXIV.
    Whilst in no way wishing WS ill your comment is one I haven't read for a while - it used to be pretty common some years back. When mmos started to close down however not so much.

We have already had closures (plural) this year.

And if NCSoft is losing money - even if it is just covering its costs (but lowering its overall profitability) - NCSoft will probably close it down. If they do though no one will have been able to say, imo, that NCSoft didn't try. A big marketing push at launch; a second chance with a f2p launch and - we are told - a Steam launch.

Although as the days go by one starts to wonder whether that is going to happen - if there is a stumbling block I suspect it will be over how much Steam are paid. Steam will want paying and probably a slice of any cash shop revenue going forward as well.  

Edit: you mention FFXIV being "reworked". What SE were really doing was protecting the Final Fantasy brand which is valuable in its own right and will live on in other games, films, figures etc. - not simply FFXIV. WS has no brand value beyond WS the game, so it will or die based on the revenue it is generating. Hope you enjoy your time as well. 
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    For the pve f3gs this is the game. I really dislike the PvP and combat overall so i'm gonna pass on the game, but i've heard many good things about the PvE and i've seen a friend stream some high end raids it looked kind of decent he fought a boss that reminded me of the vampire boss in ICC wotlk WoW.
    Dragnelus said:
    I still remember those wildstar fans when it was close to launch together with ESO. Eso wont hold it. ANd look now.
    Not just before the launch but also afterwards when it was clear that the game was having problems.

Have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6555793

While it's amusing to read that it also shows how whiteknights are dangerous to a game.
    Their mentality of "only we count, the game doesn't need anyone else but us!" is poison to any business.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    muffins89 said:
    they spent too much money making the game to just shut it down.  it'll go through another free to play revamp.  the investors want some return on their money.  good luck.
    But if it is costing them money to keep it open? Lowering the investors return? What would you do?

What NCSoft are doing is a) making an attempt and b) letting time pass. And as time passes WS becomes "old news" and disappears from the quarterly results headlines; investors "accept" that NCSoft "lost money" on WS and so when they announce that it is closing at "the end of the year" (or whatever) no one will make a big deal about it. All about damage limitation.

Who knows maybe it will move to Steam and maybe it will turn around. And maybe it will make some money for NCSoft. Would you take the gamble though - paying Steam (investors) money to launch and probably signing over not just a share of any future revenue but probably a guaranteed chunk of money as well? 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I think that steam might save it, as long as they do it right, and advertise it right. Which they have failed to do so far. But it's a good game, in my opinion that deserves more population than it has. I really hope for the sake of the game, that NCsoft doesn't just shut it down. Which I'm surprised they haven't done yet, but who knows what will happen.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Honestly lasted longer than I thought it would. Good riddence to bad rubbish mmos

MurderHerd

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    would be a shame to see it die.. i myself cant really enjoy because of how the combat and classes work(no fun).. but the world they created is amazing. and there are still people playing it that has been there since day one.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2016
    Its because of the way Wild Star was developed it doesn't feel like development was taken seriously all around, Cartoony Characters, Classes, Class Locks, Faction Locks I think if I remember correctly I played for 10 minutes and uninstalled the game like a year ago tried it again couldn't get around making a character to even try the game.

Classes are a thing of the past everything should be Do-Able on a single character by changing spec of the character something future developers need to learn on.

Perhaps its just me being burnt out on MMO's all together, and hopefully future MMO's in development such as new 2016 games will not have faction, or class locks its just stupid.

This is a reason why I tried DCUO as a game, and couldn't keep playing because of the class / power locks as a premium subscriber the game should have specs that can be swapped in a persons home at any time.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I warned these guys in closed beta that their combat needed an overhaul. You don't listen to the players then you bite the dust. The concept was great...except for one critical thing...combat. 
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Dakeru said:

It's not an indication for long term support either. Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes still had big updates in the works when they shut down, NCSoft just didn't tell the developer until the last minute.

Omali said:
    Dakeru said:

It's not an indication for long term support either. Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes still had big updates in the works when they shut down, NCSoft just didn't tell the developer until the last minute.
    That is true.
    I still hope it won't shut down though. The quest spam you get via mic in the middle of fights can be seriously annoying.. but I don't hate the game and would like to see the full story at least once.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    NCSoft:  They kill worlds!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Wildstar would have to make it another 13 months to be as 'successful' as Scarlet Blade in terms of longevity.

For me, the problem with Wildstar is that it was too much like World of Warcraft. The combat was just too close to the system that I was already burned out on. Adding player housing is nice, but the world wasn't interesting enough to want to live there.

It wasn't that I disliked anything specific about Wildstar, it was more that there was nothing particular that I liked about it.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    They should have never gone the action combat route. The worst thing about this game is the combat. I would still be playing it if not for the combat.
    Chamber of Chains
  • stimulus999stimulus999 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    for me WS was just boring...non stop grind and very little fun to be had. common theme in todays mmos unfortunately. "Dont make the game too fun, or players wont have incentive to buy the fun"..
    ive been warned .lol