Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

House pledgers dislike the instanced house proposition

2»

Comments

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:

Kyleran said:
    Some folks in this thread seem to have a real dislike/envy of the "big spenders" (who helped get this game made in the first place).

They claim their personal interest is for the "good of the game" but is coming across more as simple jealousy that someone spent more and expect more for their greater support.
    Read Sedron Tyros well explained reply and i hope you start to understand why this game (hopefully none in the future) is so bad, not just the game itself but especially the standard they try to set. 

When playing a game the ones with less real life money should of course expect to have the same in game fun as the one with a lot of real life money. When game companies like this one try to deliver more fun to the rich player then even you should understand that it is seriously wrong.
    Following your logic, should the ones who pay no money expect to have the same in game fun as those who pay "some" money?  Should everyone have the same level of fun, regardless what they pay?

Might have worked that way once before, but this is a brave new world, and going forward they are going to be designed and cater to those who pay for them, and likely favor those who are willing to pay more.

Stop thinking in terms of right, wrong, fair, and unfair, think in terms of "makes money", make's more money, makes shitloads of money" and you'll get a better understanding of the future.

There will likely be those games that take a different path, trying for less money from a great number of players, but not every game of course.
    You really expect this game to become a success?

There decision to finance the game by selling houses to rich people and also deciding others shouldn't have one is most likely the number one feature why this game will fail.

Creating and financing games where players start the game differently/less/more fun will never be accepted by any large number of players. 

And getting numbers are more important then creating a game for a few rich ones.

A host of ftp titles survive on the spending habits of a very small percentage of their playerbase, 1 to 2% by some accounts.

Their decision to sell overpriced housing which many if not most players won't give a care about will not make or break this title.
    I disagree.

Delivering a different game dependent on your real life wealth will break this game. And i for sure is glad it will.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    First price for a plot is not $1000 but $550. And you are not forced to buy one, you can also acquire one via in game mechanics.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of that virtual estate for real money thing, but I only pledged the $45 Adventurer pack and I'm still having a lot of fun in the game.
    You get a tax-free row deed at $275 that also includes a row house, not $550.

But then you probably wouldn't know that at the $45 "homeless dumpster-diver" pledge level. *snicker*

• catnipgamescatnipgames Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Howdy, just here to correct more postlarval misinformation.   Portalarium has repeatedly said there will be significantly more lots available in game than we are selling to make sure that there are plenty available for people who want to purchase them in game.  Player owned towns are just extra lots on top of that and will likely create even more in game availability for lots.

$45 pledge is not a dumpster diver and is what the majority of people in the game have.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Howdy, just here to correct more postlarval misinformation.   Portalarium has repeatedly said there will be significantly more lots available in game than we are selling to make sure that there are plenty available for people who want to purchase them in game.  Player owned towns are just extra lots on top of that and will likely create even more in game availability for lots.

$45 pledge is not a dumpster diver and is what the majority of people in the game have.
    I took postlarvels comment as a joke, and not made with actual malice.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The devs have stated that there will be exactly as many lots as lot deeds sold. That means if you pledged at the $275/$375/$450 level you get a row lot deed (rent free) for a row house in a city. For $550/$570/$575/$800 you get a village lot deed (rent free). Everyone else at $1200 and above gets a town or bigger lot deed based on how much they spend.

There are currently 4,486 deeds issued. How many get used is up in the air, but I can't imagine many who will pass up a lot when they pay no rent, even if they are going to live in a POT.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11NTsnRRN9zcDVwv-d15dYcdSf8UC4LtRNXuC5hzLBhU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1933397109

Everyone below $275 and all newcomers at launch will have to buy lot deeds with in-game currency and those deeds have rent attached to them that must be paid (I think weekly). You'll have to grind your heart out to get the deed, but there will be no guarantee of a lot to place it on until one frees up.

Portalarium is in a bad place because many people will pass on the game due to this and they also can't free up additional lots after selling their backers rights to limited housing. An uprising either way.

That's what happens when you let a bunch of drunken monkeys run a company.

Agree.

Developers have also said that there will be some few houses to buy with in game currency, but houses will continue to be rare ( it's a a way to protect the ones that paid a lot of money for their houses)

Keeping houses rare was also something proclaimed during kickstarter. It was one of the reasons many bought into this house "market". Not holding their word on this and that way devalue these house investors investment have always started an uproar. As the instance proposition. 

Richard Garriott have estimated 20% of the player base will own a house of their own.

Richard Garriott - [quote] But whatever happens make no mistake: "Real Estate is the most precious material of the game. We don't want to swamp the world with new territory, with new lots, that suddenly those lots people paid a lot of money for are worthless [endquote]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-02-shroud-of-the-avatar-real-money-housing-market

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/434752

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

lulz

I'll consider the wagons circled.

Player owned towns...yes, let the unwashed masses live in an instance run by...well, you know what they're run by...

I'm actually surprised you bothered to come out and respond. Don't you usually just contact the owner of the site, play victim, and get the posts removed. Kind of worked on Steam, although you are still down from Overwhelmingly Positive to Mixed in a matter of months. No worries, I screenshot everything, like several other people do. You have to when dealing with a company like Portalarium. It will be fun to hit you with your own words later.  Oh noes!!! I better post a screenshot in case you start sputtering about misinformation again.

Looking forward to seeing how the game has progressed come your release date...whoops!

You have more unhappy pledges than you realize. How about trying to be honest for once and maybe there won't be people hoping for game's demise. Shroud of the Avatar is the first game I've seen that has an actual hate site dedicated to it. Now why do you think that is?

Reminder: Screenshot this as soon as posted. Check.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    So a few things,
    1) I agree that if people cannot get villages in game that will hurt the game.
    2) I think instanced housing will hurt the game, and every game it's been in.  I personally would much rather live with no house and work towards the day I can finally own one than have it be instanced.  You don't NEED a house in MMOs.  I don't know why anyone would want instanced housing, its another single player aspect to MMOs and makes the world feel less alive.

Obviously if you can never earn a house it would be a problem, what remains to be seen is whether or not that will be the case. 
    edited April 2016
    Xyire said:
    So a few things,
    1) I agree that if people cannot get villages in game that will hurt the game.
    2) I think instanced housing will hurt the game, and every game it's been in.  I personally would much rather live with no house and work towards the day I can finally own one than have it be instanced.  You don't NEED a house in MMOs.  I don't know why anyone would want instanced housing, its another single player aspect to MMOs and makes the world feel less alive.

Obviously if you can never earn a house it would be a problem, what remains to be seen is whether or not that will be the case. 
    Why don't have choice here?

The one's that settle for a instanced house let them have it. Why should the one's that have uninstanced houses dictate the terms?

Instanced houses is only seen by the one that own it so it wont interfere with how you experience the game. It will also remove lag.

Only reason why instanced housing is not in the game is cause player's that invested a lot of money is protecting their investment.

Developer's have decided protecting their investment is more important then letting all have a house.
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Aragon100 said:
    Why don't have choice here?

The one's that settle for a instanced house let them have it. Why should the one's that have uninstanced houses dictate the terms?

Instanced houses is only seen by the one that own it so it wont interfere with how you experience the game. It will also remove lag.

Only reason why instanced housing is not in the game is cause player's that invested a lot of money is protecting their investment.

Developer's have decided protecting their investment is more important then letting all have a house.
    I disagree with this.  I do want to say that I do agree that people spending $$ to get a house in game is not something I personally like in the slightest.

Now then, on to my disagreement.  Instances in general make the world feel less alive.  The apartment style instanced housing in Aion for example was a large put off for me.  I just don't like that style housing in games. I would rather a game have few people who had houses than instanced housing.

Obviously you disagree, but your argument that the only support for not having instanced housing is only the people who spent money to get those expensive houses "protecting their investment" is just not true.

I think game developers deciding that they don't want instanced housing is not just for investors, but to make their game world feel more alive.

I personally am of the mindset that they shouldn't have sold houses and they shouldn't have instanced housing.
  • GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    If you take your average monthly fee MMORPG, which costs $15 every month which means $180 every year, that's also fun for those who have money and no fun for those who don't have it, yet I never saw people complain about that.
    In SotA, everyone can log in, for much less than that.

So what are subscription based MMORPGs? Entertainment for the rich? So all games should be free so the freeloaders can have their fun?
    Worst post ever. What are u talking about?
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2016
    I know some people that have pledged pretty high that are not happy with the game but are too afraid to say anything on their forums. 
    Post edited by Rawyn on
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited May 2016
    I'm one of those pledgers that wouldn't mind an instanced housing area for new players, such as apartment styled instance housing. I don't care if my land is rare or not, it matters not to me.

People can still have fun and enjoy the game with a $45 pledge. I also think there will be plenty of opportunities for them to have a home of their own or rooms from the rental system that we will have. I plan to take my largest home and turn it into an inn of sorts for folks. I bought a 5 story stone and timber city basement that has very nice sized rooms in it, specifically for renting out to people that would just like to have a place to deco and store their items, and maybe don't have a lot of time that it would take to gather enough gold to buy a place. I also plan to charge 0 gold for that rent if at all possible. I'm sure I can't be the only one that plans to provide affordable housing for folks that need/want it.
    Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LacidiousLacidious Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Instanced housing?  And this is supposed to be the UO spiritual successor.  LOL!  

I'll never spend 1 second in this game after that announcement is made.  Of course they already have my money.