Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real Life Strikes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageReal Life Strikes

Having had a very busy week I’ve not once logged into Black Desert Online. My time has been short and when I did want to go on the computer recreationally I wanted something immediate. In many ways I’m grateful that Black Desert Online is Buy to Play so that I don’t feel pressured to log in. On the other hand, I still feel somewhat anxious when I don’t. Years of a gear treadmill or handing over for a subscription fee tends to have that effect.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Those pics are from another game. Download the right game first.
  • blutm8blutm8 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited May 2016
    if the lack of long term relevance for mmo(rpg)'s help to get the developers think about what they are doing at the moment (only trash and shit, nothing innovating) maybe they will finally come up with the conclusion that they now REALLY should start thinking about their development befor releasing the next gen AAA trash game...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I have always loved roleplaying, pvp, mmo's...  Open world pvp and battlefronts.  Yet for some reason I have over 1600 games in League of Legends and yes I get burnt out from time to time but I can pick it up again in a year and have another run of 400 games without batting an eye.  I think one of the problems is mmo's stick you in a character and you are limited to 3 roles sometimes.  In the MOBA's you are able to play hundreds of different playstyles and without grinding another character for 200 hours.  MMO's are my preference but untill they can fix the pvp aspects it will always be third rate compared to moba's.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    edited May 2016
    If your life is so busy maybe you should stop playing games. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2016
    carotid said:
    Did you even attempt to read the article?

All they are saying is they now understand why people play more then one type of game. Sometimes you have time for an hour or two and an mmo like black desert won't make you progress that much in that short time span so might as well go spend your limited time in  another game until you are free to go on your mmo of choice.
    Post edited by Vaross on

edited May 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    carotid said:
    Did you even attempt to read the article?

All they are saying is they now understand why people play more then one type of game. Sometimes you have time for an hour or two and an mmo like black desert won't make you progress that much in that short time span so might as well go spend your limited time in  another game until you are free to go on your mmo of choice.
    I did read it.

To quote him - " I can’t really achieve much in that time and the sense of accomplishment is sorely lacking for immediate satisfaction."

Se those two words? "Immediate" and "Satisfaction"

My first reply stands.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    After coming from a long day of work, maybe you also had to stay overtime and have maybe 1-2 hours of play time you can barely do anything in BDO or most mmorpgs.

That is actually true in my experience as I often don't feel like logging in the game because an hour is not enough time to do anything.

Bloodaxes said:
    After coming from a long day of work, maybe you also had to stay overtime and have maybe 1-2 hours of play time you can barely do anything in BDO or most mmorpgs.

That is actually true in my experience as I often don't feel like logging in the game because an hour is not enough time to do anything.
    Fine, than don't log in. What's the big deal?
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    The issue is -you've made no attempt to be constructive in the forum community or at least add any better ideas. you've basically just trolled with weaksauce. "oh if I have only 1 hour to play a day, I shouldn't play games at all?" great response. he's pointing out the pitfalls of todays mmo. granted its not for everyone. and also why today's MOBA's are gaining ground. todays market won't be the same 6 months from now and companys need to react to survive.
    carotid said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Fine, than don't log in. What's the big deal?
    Again no big deal.

He's not complaining/whining as you say. He is understanding why some people play more than one game due to time constraints. @DMKano should be one of the most people qualified in this discussion as he plays more than one game.

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    This whole premise goes back to an mmo needs 10 million people playing it to be successful, it doesn't. Wherever there's a dollar to be made, you can guarantee someone will be there to snatch it up. Personally, I'm very happy for the popularity of LoL's and the like, even the internet has its corners. I love to pvp, but I also like to have options in a game. With the success of WoW, ESO, GW2, FFXIV, BDO, Rift, SWTOR, Eve, and on and on; I really don't think there's much to worry about any time soon. There's a huge market for mmorpg's and its only going to get bigger as more and more mmorpg's get ported to consoles. Can't wait for the PS5.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    edited May 2016
    Op is 100% correct especially with a complicated game like BDO it can not be played casually otherwise you will forget about the systems, that is why I like story mmo's like TOR and TSW or even Tera and neverwinter for fun mindless grinding after a hard days work making YUGE amounts of money
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited May 2016
    I have said it before that the time commitment on MMOs is too large. It appeals only to a hardcore fanbase and isn't sustainable. Not only that, but you never actually "beat" an MMO, which is a problem because you constantly have to login and complete more content to remain "the best of the best".

I think a vanilla WoW Server would work, because there would be a cap to how strong a person can be, eventually. The same raids will always be there and eventually everyone could be geared in them.

I think sandbox games like BDO could work as well, IF the gear-treadmill stops at some point. When developers bank on the "I need to login today, or I'll be left in the dust!" gamer, this gamer will eventually get discouraged and quit. MMOs need to be more about fun, and less about stacks upon stacks of progression. And less about New vertically-based content. An MMO should encourage you to login to PvP, PvE up until a certain point and you've beaten the game, but other PvE activities for max geared players that reward cosmetics, mounts, pets, housing decor, crafting mats, etc. Add things to the game like mount racing, housing, dungeon creator, new crafts and professions, new activities like hunting, fishing, fishing tourneys, boats, sailing, exploration. Optional non gear-based fun.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Must admit, there are times when i just have too many other things to do that i can't spend hours online playing MMO's, thats life however.
    Seriously though, i have never considered MOBA's as a replacement, i think perhaps the problem is not so much that people often lack time to play, but that instead of just using what time they have, and have fun playing the game, the perception that, if you can't level up or achieve X goal within a certain time frame, then its not worth playing at all, is so prevalent that people prevaricate, waste time doing something they aren't really enjoying, because its a 'time filler'.
    That i think is the true waste of time, rather than playing the game they do enjoy for a shorter time, regardless of whether or not they will level up etc. Like the saying goes, half a loaf is better than no bread.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630
    Lewis, your comment

"When I’ve got an hour or two, the thought of diving into Black Desert Online just doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t really achieve much in that time and the sense of accomplishment is sorely lacking for immediate satisfaction."

describes my daily playtime to a tee and I guess that's why I've backed off of playing BDO lately in favor of double XP events in MH, SWToR, Tera, plus some ESO time.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    Most MMOs are not BDO. In most MMOs, you can log on and do a few dailies or dungeons and accomplish quite a bit in a couple of hours. In BDO the best way to progress is through very long periods of grinding.

So I think most MMOs have catered to a "MOBA crowd" quite fine, going back to WoW dailies and when they introduced the dungeon finder.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Should change the title. The post was a good read, but it really had little to do about BDO and was more a discussion about the difference between the gaming genres. Personally if I enjoy a certain gaming genre I will find time to play it, all though I am not the one to concern myself with being in the top tier of any game.... I play for enjoyment not to wave my epeen around.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited May 2016
    I think BDO is in the minority when it comes to necessary time investment. I agree that games should allow you to progress in shorter periods of time, but many MMO's are already doing things differently to appeal to today's busy gamer. My two games of choice right now are ESO and TSW. I can log in and quest on my main or an alt and enjoy some story, and at endgame they're both games that are fairly easy to gear up in since they don't have an endless gear treadmill that gets worse with every patch. So you can just hop into your fun activity of choice for a bit and enjoy yourself without feeling the need to grind forever to get to the good stuff.

Then there's games like Tree of Savior that is fun for some grinding, or SWTOR that I keep meaning to go back to for the tons of story and solo content there on my various characters. And of course Guild Wars 2 is one I always go back to as well and is a great game for casual play, too. Crowfall has potential in the future so we'll see if they can live up to that. I think with the campaign system, they have the ability there to appeal to a variety of types of gamers, both casual and hardcore, within the same game.

I do think you have an interesting point when looking at the genre's longevity. For now those of us playing MMO's will continue to do so in the future. Many gamers are getting older and their lives are changing, but they still want to game. That's why we've seen so much change in MMO's in the past several years, as the genre tries to change with us. So in that sense, the genre will be fine as it retains it's current audience. The problem is that they're not earning new, young gamers as much as they could. I'm not sure if it's game design, or just lack of knowledge among those younger gamers. Console releases are helping with that a bit but more could be done.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2016
    Dunno if it was a good read tbh....Not bashing but it just sounds like the author grew up? Welcome to adulthood, there's less time to do recreational activities for most of us....A perfect tie in is the recent vanilla server thing for wow. If people honestly thought back to the time they were playing vanilla or other 'slower' versions of games (for me FFXI), they'd realize that they honestly wouldn't have time for all that involves. Games were heavily server and people reliant back then which is why I kind of feel for blizzard when they combat this since they might want to put the servers up but also implement accessible methods for people to enjoy the game while still having busy schedules.

Not every game is for everyone, even if people think they are the same person over 10+ years.
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Its just your experiences. I have an 13 year old Nephew that has played several MMOs and is currently playing FFXIV as well as a 10 year old niece that is deep into Skyforge. They have friends that play.

The idea that just because there are many playing MOBAs there cannot be many playing MMOs is ridiculous.

Also, just because you cannot spend 40+ hours a week playing, doesnt mean you have to give up on playing MMOs...seriously, you shouldnt have been doing that in the first place.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's why with a few MMO's like GW2 and MH's I can login and play a dynamic event or two. Other games I know if I played them I would get lost in the dynamics of exploring or following a lengthy quest line or working to get that extra skill in the thief skill line. Same with RPG's.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

NobleNerd said:

Should change the title. The post was a good read, but it really had little to do about BDO and was more a discussion about the difference between the gaming genres. Personally if I enjoy a certain gaming genre I will find time to play it, all though I am not the one to concern myself with being in the top tier of any game.... I play for enjoyment not to wave my epeen around.

Ive noticed a pattern, and sure enough this guy posts every single monday with a topic that applies to general MMORPGs yet it gets posted as a BDO feature.

This is most certainly a paid weekly advertisement column.
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited May 2016
    First of all let me say there really are some nasty and vicious a**es in the forums. Secondly, mmorpgs require time investment, but not necessarily hours each session. Sometimes I have signed on just to kill a few little things and gladly sign off knowing that (unless it's some type of event) I can pick up where I left off when I signed off. That said, mmorpg means I get to create a character and role play. Normally, I like that, but yes lack of innovation or diversity within many games has made it less appealing to play mmos at all. I have complained about this for awhile.

Black Desert isn't bad. I don't think so anyway and I don't particularly like PvP, but I can do other things if I like and there is group content (not entirely like I'd like it to be structured, but its there). As far as time investment, BDO can be time consuming,but the plus about it and some other games is you chose what you want to do with your time when you log in. MOBAs remind me of console games like Street Fighter or something. Pick and character and FIGHT!

Hope I understood you correctly. I'm a mmorpg'er and I approved this response. :p
    Post edited by DztBlk on
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Sad souls feel the need to attack the OP simply because of his status.  You don't have to like, enjoy, or read anything mmorpg publishes.  But you could at least stop acting like a bunch of haters with nothing better to do.  Disagreeing or agreeing with the OP is fine but attacking his writing style that just shows how unprofessional and low forum users can stoop for attention.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    As one of those 'busy' people who splits very limited game time between multiple games AND making videos, I can say one great thing about Black Desert Online is there is no hurry. You don't 'need' to rush to max level. In fact, unless you plan on being right up there with the 'no-lifers', then it actually benefits you to take your time and fully develop your character before you reach level 45.

Where games like Blade & Soul make it very easy to work the main quest line or run a dungeon with only an hour (or so) of gameplay, it's not very inspiring entertainment. So, yes... MMORPGs like B&S are on thin-ice with casual players. When faced with the choice between an hour of predictable and perhaps even boring gameplay in an MMORPG or an hour playing something like Heroes of the Storm or even Witcher 3, then many will opt for the latter choice.

Black Desert, on the other hand, has completely optional questing. In an hour, you can tame a horse and start leveling it. You can setup a new crafting operation. You can work up some abilities or crafting skills. You can grind. You can do a lot of things. And if it takes you a long time to reach the soft cap... well, since you weren't one of the first to do so, even better.