Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Monthly Development Reports

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    How is this all possible if they are not really building a game?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    goboygo said:
    Only the very naive think they are NOT building a game.  Both sides have their extremists.  The far left thinks its all a scam and the far right thinks everything is great and Chris is building the greatest game this planet has ever seen.  The rest of us (The vast majority) have varying degrees of issue with the way Chris Roberts has handled the project.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Brenics said:
    Then we have a comical video.

This video was only linked for the comical factor and is no way attempting to make fun of the concept demo. 
    OMG, that video is funny.  While I agree we have yet to see the final graphics for the SC MMO (Cant wait until 2020) that video is funny as all heck.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Talonsin said:
    goboygo said:
    Only the very naive think they are NOT building a game.  Both sides have their extremists.  The far left thinks its all a scam and the far right thinks everything is great and Chris is building the greatest game this planet has ever seen.  The rest of us (The vast majority) have varying degrees of issue with the way Chris Roberts has handled the project.
    The latest 'RtV' was proof that even internal staff has problems with how this project is handled and was shown to backers. Not exactly a confidence booster.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    mr1602 said:
    The latest 'RtV' was proof that even internal staff has problems with how this project is handled and was shown to backers. Not exactly a confidence booster.
    Kinda creepy about things, too. Lesnick comparing himself as "Erin" to Lando's "Chris", because Ben is the "hard working one". Lando has some vague monologue and stares at the camera for 45 seconds.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Tunnel view leads to excessive interpreting of things without the proper distance to distinguish between selective perception and what really is going on. 
    Talonsin said:
    goboygo said:
    Just like real life then.  In the end everyone is just human, some chasing their passions others driven by their emotions.  To me its just a game and  I will wait to pass judgement on the game or the developers until it is completed.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    You guys must understand and see for the past 5 years CR has been building a game that he adds things to and then he has to start over and then repeats it every year. What the heck did you think Ben was saying when he said he was Erin the hard worker. He was not joking in the sense you think he was clearly telling you guys CR is bad for this development and why there is no game. 

Wake UP!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited April 2016
    Starting to think Chris Roberts is like the Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

I think he was saying that Erin is the hard worker. A reflection on Erin's work ethics and dedication. However feel free to read whatever extraneous interpretations into his statements you like to back up your own personal vendetta. Its always puzzled me how Chris Roberts is always painted as a bumbling moron by you guys who at the same time apparently commands the respect of the entire gaming industry where he has the supervillanesque power to make sure any public dissenting worker's career sleeps with the fishes. Like he's some idiot savant Machiavelli. Which is it guys because it sure as hell can't be both.
    No I think the whistle blower stigma scares people. But one someone does it and doesnt feel any repercussions the flood gates will be open.

As for the moron stuff. I think many think its an act and thus give him more credit than he deserves. I said that a year ago, and more recently when he fumbled around that live stream trying to start his computer. Was that an act? Who knows I dont think so but he looked SOOOOOOOOOO dumb most people thought it was.

The truth about him is not unlike this game probably somewhere in the middle of reality and fantasy.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited May 2016
    The Monthly studio report for April 2016 is out - in depth coverage of the ongoing work at CIG.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15325-Monthly-Studio-Report

Some of my personal highlights:
    "As we have explained in the past, the Tech Content team is unique. While amorphous in form, its functions and directives are very clear under the leadership of Sean Tracy. Sean has been composing the design docs for how the Character Customization tech will function while Senior Technical Artist Mark McCall has tackled the task of R&D. This is to become the system that will allow players to customize their in-game characters. It makes you wonder whose character’s face will be immortalized in Star Citizen? Will yours go down in infamy as a vicious pirate who disrupts trade lanes in their never-ending quest for loot? Or will it be a benevolent face of a loved politician? Perhaps an epic beard will give you a dashing, roguish look that can charm the masses. These are the things we imagine as we think about where Star Citizen will take us all."

"Another major feature we’ve been working is Port Modification. We’ve been working with the UI Team in the UK to implement a new app in the mobiGlas that will allow you guys to customize your hangars and eventually much more. We’ve ported our hangars and flair objects over to using the new Item System 2.0 so that now you can access specific “ports” around your hangar and place things wherever you like! Eventually this will allow for customization of ship loadouts as well. We’ve gotten the ball rolling in fleshing out a design for using this app in other locations as well, like the Crusader map."

"...And finally, it has been 0 days since a member of QA has died to the airlock."  ;-)

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Some good info in that monthly report.
    I liked the bit about Squadron 42 (my main interest) but what do they mean by a "vertical slice level"?

I saw that procedural generation is coming along and that they're looking at large scale solar systems which is great to hear.
    Some good info in that monthly report.
    I liked the bit about Squadron 42 (my main interest) but what do they mean by a "vertical slice level"?

I saw that procedural generation is coming along and that they're looking at large scale solar systems which is great to hear.
    http://videogamebuzzwords.wikia.com/wiki/Vertical_Slice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_slice

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited May 2016
    I was more wondering how it pertains to a single level and what the purpose of that level will be, ie will it be a demo level for fans to play or something to show the press at studio visits or SQ42 gameplay to show off at events, perhaps even all 3?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I forgot all about this game. 

Does this game even have a release date yet? 
    Recore said:
    I forgot all about this game. 

Does this game even have a release date yet? 
    According to Squadron 42 website the single player game will be out in 2016 (expect late 2016). 

For Star Citizen multiplayer game there is no official date. Personally i expect launch day in late 2017 (with Beta before that). 

Have fun
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I expect these release dates to be as accurate as all the previous ones.   That said, they really need to get Squadron 42 out sometime this year.  Of course, if it comes out titanically buggy, that'd be  a bad thing.   They might release it despite those sorts of issues though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Resume 101 says 'never speak ill of former employers'.   No matter how bad they were.  It's even more important when there are only a small number of job opportunities, relatively speaking. 

Thank goodness for the indie scene.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    What is important is to speak about the game and it's development, rest is fluff story's to entertain armchair forum warriors.
    Looks like more than a 1100 detailed bug reports have been submitted by the Evocati player tester team, with an average of 94 % participation and 5 internal follow up patches for Alpha 2.4. Typical bug reproducibility is high for the same bug. Seems like it was a highly productive move to let a group of dedicated player testers do their thing first before moving on to load testing with tenhousands of player testers.

http://imperialnews.network/2016/05/reverse-the-verse-episode-94-liveblog/

Have fun 

Erillion said:
    The Monthly studio report for April 2016 is out - in depth coverage of the ongoing work at CIG.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15325-Monthly-Studio-Report

Some of my personal highlights:
    "As we have explained in the past, the Tech Content team is unique. While amorphous in form, its functions and directives are very clear under the leadership of Sean Tracy. Sean has been composing the design docs for how the Character Customization tech will function while Senior Technical Artist Mark McCall has tackled the task of R&D. This is to become the system that will allow players to customize their in-game characters. It makes you wonder whose character’s face will be immortalized in Star Citizen? Will yours go down in infamy as a vicious pirate who disrupts trade lanes in their never-ending quest for loot? Or will it be a benevolent face of a loved politician? Perhaps an epic beard will give you a dashing, roguish look that can charm the masses. These are the things we imagine as we think about where Star Citizen will take us all."

"Another major feature we’ve been working is Port Modification. We’ve been working with the UI Team in the UK to implement a new app in the mobiGlas that will allow you guys to customize your hangars and eventually much more. We’ve ported our hangars and flair objects over to using the new Item System 2.0 so that now you can access specific “ports” around your hangar and place things wherever you like! Eventually this will allow for customization of ship loadouts as well. We’ve gotten the ball rolling in fleshing out a design for using this app in other locations as well, like the Crusader map."

"...And finally, it has been 0 days since a member of QA has died to the airlock."  ;-)

Have fun

The amount of information in this update is nothing short of mind boggling.  This game is shaping up to be something incredible, the attention to detail considering the scale they are working with is unprecedented.  How someone can read through an update like that and think "nothing" is getting done is beyond me.

Whats going on there is just staggering to someone that knows even the slightest bit about game development.
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/329778

"2.4 is still progressing on the PTU with the Evocati Test Flight. We're working towards a build that will go out to the next wave of testers, soon. Some fun stats on using a smaller, more focused and committed testing group:

- 87.2% of ETF accounts logged into 2.4.0-353268 a total of 4,243 times.
    - 90.6% of ETF accounts logged into 2.4.0-352849 a total of 4,618 times.
    - 725 bug reports have been entered in the PTU Issue Council.
    - 87 bug reports have ten or more reproductions. "

Have fun

edited June 2016
    Monthly Studio Report for May 2016 is out

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15364-Monthly-Studio-Report

Highlights for me:

"However, the most exciting thing this month was the privilege of an early look at preliminary large scale solar systems with procedural planets, going from space, to atmosphere, and eventually landing on the ground. "

"We’re also growing in Austin, Texas!"

"We’ve done a large amount of work for future ships this month, these aren’t needed for Sq42 but are needed for the persistent universe and to keep on expanding the roles in the games, we have 4 unannounced ships/vehicles in concept right now and they are almost all complete"
    -->  "On the concept side, we are finishing up work on one of the ships you’ve been waiting for: the Drake Dragonfly “space motorcycle.” We think we’ve come up with a plan for a very cool, very SMALL ship that’s going to work very well alongside some upcoming game systems."

"Graham Phillipson’s been busy on the in-game VOIP tech.."

"Level Designers have been working on finalizing the layout for the Outlaw Base"

"The guys are also working hard on the Truck Stop base which is a nice place for pilots to stop to refuel, grab a bite to eat, get some supplies before they head out on big journeys."

On performance capturing --> "Last summer was our main shoot that gave us approx. 75% of all needed material for SQ42’s story. With this new shoot complete and another final shoot upcoming in July we will have collected every bit of performance! Highlight of this shoot were scenes with the Idris’ quartermaster handing out big guns as well as an in-universe spectrum show with a furious and most importantly hilarious host!"

--> I wonder if this show can be seen at GameCom or CitizenCom. Sounds interesting.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
    CIG Germany (Foundry 42 Frankfurt) is expanding:

"The office grew by 2 people in May, Janine helping out with production and David joining the weapons art team. We’re just about at capacity in the office so we officially started an expansion. When we moved into the office space last July the owners of the building put the adjoining space on hold for us for a full year, one of the perks they offer to new tenants. At that time we didn’t know if we would have any need for it, but thought it was a nice gesture."

From Monthly Report May 2016.

Have fun

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Next Landing spot: Levsky

LoveRemovalMachine