Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you play a VR MMORPG?

rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
Im talking only playable via VR a complete vr experience, with a highly detailed open world etc 
imagine wow but through the eyes of your character .

Comments

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Would I? I've been waiting for it for years.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    same i think it will be the next big thing :D imagine thowing fireball at a huge ass dragon as big or bigger than an house thats got to be pretty amazing 
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I would but, right now VR is not quite where i want it to be yet.

I'd love to mess around with it, but as long as theres no dedicated walking solution that developers pile onto, i just wont be able to dedicate myself to a MMO type game, the teleporting in limited space would get annoying fast when you're looking at hundreds of hours of play.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

An MMO, yes. An MMORPG . . . only if could also be played on a 3D monitor.

Based on my past MMORPG experience, I'd be playing in 3rd person view 95-99% of the time and virtual reality wouldn't suit me for that playstyle. I also expect to play games with costume creators that offer quite a large amount of options so I can enjoy the looks of the characters I create. Playing in 1st person would prevent me from seeing my work. I'll take 3D over VR when it comes to RPGs.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited May 2016
    rush1984 said:
    Im talking only playable via VR a complete vr experience, with a highly detailed open world etc 

Probably not, for one thing it would look pretty terrible and have horrendous FPS issues, unlimited people = mass fps drops and in a system like VR that would be hilariously bad.  It would have a small playerbase and in a market that is already struggling it would be a massive fail for whoever was stupid enough to put the money down to get it made.

A VR MMORPG would be an guaranteed financial disaster.

An MMO, yes. An MMORPG . . . only if could also be played on a 3D monitor.

Based on my past MMORPG experience, I'd be playing in 3rd person view 95-99% of the time and virtual reality wouldn't suit me for that playstyle. I also expect to play games with costume creators that offer quite a large amount of options so I can enjoy the looks of the characters I create. Playing in 1st person would prevent me from seeing my work. I'll take 3D over VR when it comes to RPGs.

but you could just look at yourself, look down see your legs look at your arms your shoulders , hell they could even give you a virtual  mirror to admire yourself /  reflections in water windows etc
    edited May 2016
    scorpex-x said:

scorpex-x said:
    rush1984 said:

Probably not, for one thing it would look pretty terrible and have horrendous FPS issues, unlimited people = mass fps drops and in a system like VR that would be hilariously bad.  It would have a small playerbase and in a market that is already struggling it would be a massive fail for whoever was stupid enough to put the money down to get it made.

A VR MMORPG would be an guaranteed financial disaster.
    Thats the good thing about technology ....it gets better over time, believe me this is only the beginning the future is looking great !
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Ummm how long ago did we have the Nintendo guns,20 years ago?They never improved,matter of fact they just stopped doing it.
    This is obviously a different era,they see more people wasting money,so yes i expect this new wave of VR will slowly improve but prices will be way over the top for a bunch of transistors and diodes that cost pennies.The lens is pretty much the only cost,since we can get eye glass lens for small dollars,these 600+ VR sets are ridiculously priced.

Even if we overlook or don't care about the cost of VR sets,the more important fact is the games and the development costs added to them.Devs right now are NOT putting much effort into their games,so to think they will add more cost and time,is a false dream.Sure they will add some VR support but the rest of the game will suffer badly,we won't see a good complete VR game for a VERY longtime,so ev1 right now is wasting their money.
    I would say that everything you see for several years will be ideas you can pull off without VR or visually you won't notice the difference.I have seen some unique gimmicks/ideas ,example with mobile phones,but no real games with anything worthwhile.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Hell yea.  As long as it's well done.  I'll hold it to the same standard as regular platform games.  few bugs, good content, interesting .....  also, will wait a bit until the tech matures and comes down in price drops some.  

But yea, looking forward to the day.

I self identify as a monkey.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    if the price was right sure but atm its impossible  to do so. maybe in 5-10 years we have actually mmo's in VR or full drive VR
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Chances are I wouldn't play a VR MMO for the same reasons I don't play normal MMOs.

However, given a good MMORPG crops up, of course I'd rather do it in VR. I wouldn't even mind if it was 100% first-person perspective. Full immersion, baby.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    First in line

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited May 2016
    Probably not I worry about the headaches for such  long periods. I play MMORPGS over several hours so it will be a definite problem the headaches. I get headaches from FPS so this will be a big issue for me. Any game that has some weird FOV even third person like the Witcher senses in Witcher 3 also gave me problems with nausea.

If I was on Star Trek and the Enterprise I bet I would be the one person avoiding Holodeck.
    Chamber of Chains
  • EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Yes I have.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited May 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Ummm how long ago did we have the Nintendo guns,20 years ago?They never improved,matter of fact they just stopped doing it.
    This is obviously a different era,they see more people wasting money,so yes i expect this new wave of VR will slowly improve but prices will be way over the top for a bunch of transistors and diodes that cost pennies.
    Dumbest comparison ever. No real need to elaborate on this one. Also, they did make an improved NES Zapper. It was called the LaserScope. The LaserScope was made for one specific game but also worked for all the games that the Zapper was designed for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserScope

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2012/05/29/the-konami-laserscope/#7341539d5ca7 

As far as the OP goes. I would definitely play a VR MMORPG. It is still a long ways down the road but when it happens I'll be the first in line.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Who needs that when we have WOW and Pong.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Same with DMKano.
  • maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    DMKano said:
    No because nausea after about 15 min (occulus rift happens every time).

then dont buy the crap lol.. and but the propper once like HTC Vive..
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    It s VR in general not just the Occulus. Some people won t do well with VR.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    It probably will happen, just like vr shooters will happen and perhaps new type of games designed for VR. I'll be VERY happy if it happens in the next 10 years, with decent image resolution. But I doubt it. For me this might be the ultimate experience. I'm the explorer and wanderer kind of MMORPG gamers. I can understand this might not work for raiders but devs may find a way to make it playable in first person VR.
    For me it's a big yes.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    DMKano said:
    No because nausea after about 15 min (occulus rift happens every time).

Definitely gonna be an issue for some.  Hopefully, they are able to tighten this up a bit as the tech matures.  Although, realistically, there will always be a population that has this issue.  Hopefully, it's as small as possible.  

Sadly, there are some people just destined to not be able to take that cruise.

I self identify as a monkey.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Consider they come with serious health warnings for extended use absolutely not.  I know many gamers that will do 8,10,24 hours or longer in an mmo play session. Do that with VR and you are in trouble.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am also considering the liability involved. It is pretty much a guarantee someone is going to go blind, get a brain turmor,  inner ear or balance issues, who knows what. When the lawsuits start flying you really don't wanna be a software developer named in the suit along side the hardware developer. 
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Nope , no headset wanted on my face , etc.

Sounds like the OP didn't actually want to know about folks opinions as he can't stand the ones already saying no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다