Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound Studios Talks Crowdfunding, Funding Fatigue, and Transparency - SPONSORED ARTICLE

13»

Comments

• AaronVictoriaAaronVictoria Member UncommonPosts: 25
    SedrynTyros, I never saw any context on the videos, or read any context on the page that suggested that the videos they shared were simple test or groundwork presentations. Nor have I heard any phrases like, "there are plans" or "we're planning to" in their dialogue. All I'm hearing is "we have" or "the game features", which naturally gives off an "it's done" vibe. If they would have done a video with just them discussing plans, and openly informed people that this was all ideas and concepts, this conversation would probably not have been going around the internet; someone even has a few forum threads on their site regarding this exact matter. There is a reason they included a montage of visuals, and it was done for he purpose of making the pitch more alluring. I won't say they had intentions of deceiving people, because that's something I can't honestly say. But the way it's present just doesn't feel right (to me).
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Point being, they are an inexperienced team and there have been far more experienced teams that have failed at far less complex designs.  I wish them luck, but their best chance is to scale back the game and hope to add some of the more complex mechanisms later.  If they were at least up front about doing that, they might face less criticism.

Without some kind of realistic design, their entire kickstarter is a complete joke.
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

DMKano said:

Could the mods add (Sponsored) in the title for clarity?

The bright orange Sponsored Button by Title isn't enough?
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

SedrynTyros, unlike you, a majority of people don't like to blindly throw money away.

ORLY? Tell that to Las Vegas.

• SanguineshSanguinesh Member CommonPosts: 3

Jonnyp2 said:

One big difference - there is no pay to win in CoE and what may appear to be an early advantage is in fact just a way to further flesh out the game pre launch.

So I'm curious how these Baron/Count/Duke/King tiers work. Are you paying somewhere between $350 and $10k in order to start the game in control of territory ranging from a village to an entire kingdom? I just skimmed the kickstarter page, but if that's the case then it seems extremely p2w. Much more so than any game in recent memory.

Then you also have the $120 tier for 3 month early access. Don't most people complain when games give 3-5 days of early access for their $120 pack? A 3 month EA forces anyone serious about this game to invest an excessive amount of money in order to not fall behind. Idk I mean I get that you need to properly incentivize people to fund your game, but some of these decisions seem sketchy.

First off, just because you "bought" a title and lands does not mean you will keep them. Just like a real medieval world, people with power want more power and will try to take yours. If you dont manage your lands/kingdom well, you people may revolt and oust you. The real perpose of the titles and land with 3 months head start is to "flesh out" the world before thefull launch. By giving backers that time and those "perks" it allows the world to come to life and develop before the mass influx of gamers. If you think about it from that perspective I think you will agree it's actually a fantastic idea. I encourage you to join the community irc at http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=ChroniclesofElyria. There are always many community members there and the Soulbound team are there VERY frequently. Come and see, you will like it.
  • SanguineshSanguinesh Member CommonPosts: 3

SedrynTyros, unlike you, a majority of people don't like to blindly throw money away. Seeing a quality product, investing in it, and then seeing it come to an unfavorable conclusion is one thing. Unknowingly throwing money into something you think is a quality product, based on an illusion, seeing it come to an unfavorable conclusion, and saying, "Oh well if millions of dollars are flushed down the toilet,... no big deal", is a completely different stance. However, I respect your opinion and your point-of-view. Thanks for sharing them.

But your entire stance is incredibly unfair.  There's no product to evaluate yet; only a plan with some rough sketches.  Investing in a detailed plan isn't blindly throwing your money away.  And the plans don't get much more detailed than what Soulbound Studios has shown us.

When movie producers pitch a movie to a studio they're not expected to show up with half the movie finished.  And the expectation here should be no different, but you imply otherwise.

So, with respect, I don't think your point-of-view does any good whatsoever.

Is there a timeline posted that shows how's the promised features will be worked on and how many resources are planned for them?

I have seen no "detailed plans". All I have seen are storyboards about how cool these features are. They have told you what they want to do but not HOW. That's not a plan. 

They are are promising launch in Dec 17.  That means the game has to be ready for early entry in Sept. As you say there is "no product to evaluate yet".  Yet somehow they are going to go from pre-production to full functional early entry in 16 months?  With 2 programmers?

I'd honestly love to see the "detailed plans" that lay out how that happens.  If those exist please link them.

No, they are not promising launch by dec 2017, they are promising delivery of tier rewards at that time concurrent with ALPHA1 testing. Your anger blinds you, your hatred makes you weak - thats why Jedi always defeat your kind.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

A: It depends on our funding levels, as that will enable us to hire more staff to allow for concurrent development. Right now we’re aiming for December 2017 for full release. Alpha & Beta dates have not yet been released, as we’ll need to iterate on development and internal testing before each of those releases, so things are more fluid in those stages of development.

Last updated: Wed, May 4 2016 10:33 PM CDT

From their crowd funding page.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

A: It depends on our funding levels, as that will enable us to hire more staff to allow for concurrent development. Right now we’re aiming for December 2017 for full release. Alpha & Beta dates have not yet been released, as we’ll need to iterate on development and internal testing before each of those releases, so things are more fluid in those stages of development.

And by December 2017, they mean that's the date when everyone who likes getting pissed off should get outraged that the game isn't finished, lol.  Seriously, I've never in my life seen a game worth playing release on schedule so I don't know why anyone who's been following game development would expect differently on any project.  Right now Camelot Unchained is almost a year overdue for releasing their beta, and the guy running that project is the creator of Dark Age of Camelot.  It's not like he didn't have experience in making games, but shit happens.  Game development is far too complex to be able to guarantee a delivery date for a finished product.  You can come up with a best guess and try to meet the deadline you set for yourself, but the game isn't ready until it's ready.
    The constant delays is a plague on kickstarters and its one of the reasons I find that its a bad model for funding mmorpg's. If you say you can release your mmorpg within 3 years you are most likely a liar. If your model is based on securing funds for 2 years of those 3 years you haven't secured enough funds.

In this case 3 years is basically the best case scenario, at this point they mostly have artists and its usually the technical side of mmorpg's that drags it down, which means a hiring process that always take much longer than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if its going to take them 5 years until they are done with everything.

3 years minus 9 months (current amount of development) is mid 2018, 5 years minus 9 months is mid 2020. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    edited May 2016

SedrynTyros, unlike you, a majority of people don't like to blindly throw money away. Seeing a quality product, investing in it, and then seeing it come to an unfavorable conclusion is one thing. Unknowingly throwing money into something you think is a quality product, based on an illusion, seeing it come to an unfavorable conclusion, and saying, "Oh well if millions of dollars are flushed down the toilet,... no big deal", is a completely different stance. However, I respect your opinion and your point-of-view. Thanks for sharing them.

But your entire stance is incredibly unfair.  There's no product to evaluate yet; only a plan with some rough sketches.  Investing in a detailed plan isn't blindly throwing your money away.  And the plans don't get much more detailed than what Soulbound Studios has shown us.

When movie producers pitch a movie to a studio they're not expected to show up with half the movie finished.  And the expectation here should be no different, but you imply otherwise.

So, with respect, I don't think your point-of-view does any good whatsoever.

Is there a timeline posted that shows how's the promised features will be worked on and how many resources are planned for them?

I have seen no "detailed plans". All I have seen are storyboards about how cool these features are. They have told you what they want to do but not HOW. That's not a plan. 

They are are promising launch in Dec 17.  That means the game has to be ready for early entry in Sept. As you say there is "no product to evaluate yet".  Yet somehow they are going to go from pre-production to full functional early entry in 16 months?  With 2 programmers?

I'd honestly love to see the "detailed plans" that lay out how that happens.  If those exist please link them.

No, they are not promising launch by dec 2017, they are promising delivery of tier rewards at that time concurrent with ALPHA1 testing. Your anger blinds you, your hatred makes you weak - thats why Jedi always defeat your kind.

LOL

You were saying?

PS: "Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken... about a great many things."

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• fawofawo Member CommonPosts: 4
    I will tell you atlest with 2milion they can pay real life bills, montly payout`s to dev. , artist, pay office where they work... and next 1.5 year dont need to think about people working on this MMO. Like you say man tools for making this stuffs is cheep right? they will not need to spend money on that stuffs, you are coder right? Than you know 1 code for something = 1 guy who is writing it, they with this money can ex. give a job to few people more to do some features they miss... That is money that they need, and its good that you are sceptics and that drama is born, because for tham this is really nice advertising on lunch day when it come its garanted massive player base, all you sceptics will buy the game to check out to whine abit more. But you will eat your word`s i already sayed 1:5 real life bets accepting... END OF STORY!
    And i will give explanation about slapshot character and few more people who talking here:
    (I dont insult tham becouse im coming from same place like most of tham)
    You guys are from some poor countrys where 50$ is much, where is avarage wage is 200$ and you always want to get something for free or to play something for free or to earn something from game you play... But each month you give that 50$ on on cigaretes and alcohol ... And you thinking only fair price for game to give is 5$ but you want to get king rank with that 5$ that you invested... And you will whine about all kind of stuffs over and over and making some points from nothing. Most of people who backing the game they can spare that kind of money on idea nobody took money from our mouths its money that we dont need or we will spend it same as you on cigarets and alchol or some other kind of entertement and we paying now this enterteiment WE WANT TO WATCH WHAT WILL HAPPEND IN NEXT 2 YEARS, only watching and reading about stuffs is worth that money! (reading this whine, hate and small mind people like you is worth that money also).
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    The sith win this round.

fawo said:
    I will tell you atlest with 2milion they can pay real life bills, montly payout`s to dev. , artist, pay office where they work... and next 1.5 year dont need to think about people working on this MMO. Like you say man tools for making this stuffs is cheep right? they will not need to spend money on that stuffs, you are coder right? Than you know 1 code for something = 1 guy who is writing it, they with this money can ex. give a job to few people more to do some features they miss... That is money that they need, and its good that you are sceptics and that drama is born, because for tham this is really nice advertising on lunch day when it come its garanted massive player base, all you sceptics will buy the game to check out to whine abit more. But you will eat your word`s i already sayed 1:5 real life bets accepting... END OF STORY!
    And i will give explanation about slapshot character and few more people who talking here:
    You guys are from some poor countrys where 50$ is much, where is avarage wage is 200$ and you always want to get something for free or to play something for free or to earn something from game you play... But each month you give that 50$ on on cigaretes and alcohol ... And you thinking only fair price for game to give is 5$ but you want to get king rank with that 5$ that you invested... And you will whine about all kind of stuffs over and over and making some points from nothing. Most of people who backing the game they can spare that kind of money on idea nobody took money from our mouths its money that we dont need or we will spend it same as you on cigarets and alchol or some other kind of entertement and we paying now this enterteiment WE WANT TO WATCH WHAT WILL HAPPEND IN NEXT 2 YEARS, only watching and reading about stuffs is worth that money! (reading this whine, hate and small mind people like you is worth that money also).
    Now I know how other people must feel when I use Google Translate to type something...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    SedrynTyros, I never saw any context on the videos, or read any context on the page that suggested that the videos they shared were simple test or groundwork presentations. Nor have I heard any phrases like, "there are plans" or "we're planning to" in their dialogue. All I'm hearing is "we have" or "the game features", which naturally gives off an "it's done" vibe. If they would have done a video with just them discussing plans, and openly informed people that this was all ideas and concepts, this conversation would probably not have been going around the internet; someone even has a few forum threads on their site regarding this exact matter. There is a reason they included a montage of visuals, and it was done for he purpose of making the pitch more alluring. I won't say they had intentions of deceiving people, because that's something I can't honestly say. But the way it's present just doesn't feel right (to me).
    They talk about what they are going to do on the Kickstarter video

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

fawo said:
    Now I know how other people must feel when I use Google Translate to type something...
    Yea yea sure i didn`t learn english in school im from Zimbabwe, and this mambo jumbo english its enough for you to understand me and rest of you... But do i care ? Can we atlest  communicate ? YES WE CAN... you whine here like you give your house to fund this game... And you didn`t get anything in return ... what you expect ? This game is like real world, do you get in real world something for nothing? Enjoy in the show for next 2 years and after that you can whine and hate as much as you can... If your opinion is correct. You stated almost everything that you wanted to say and
    fawo said:
    fawo said:
    Yea yea sure i didn`t learn english in school im from Zimbabwe, and this mambo jumbo english its enough for you to understand me and rest of you... But do i care ? Can we atlest  communicate ? YES WE CAN... you whine here like you give your house to fund this game... And you didn`t get anything in return ... what you expect ? This game is like real world, do you get in real world something for nothing? Enjoy in the show for next 2 years and after that you can whine and hate as much as you can... If your opinion is correct. You stated almost everything that you wanted to say and
    Dude... don't leave us hanging like that!
    :o     

fawo said:
    fawo said:
    Dude... don't leave us hanging like that!
    :o     

Dont worry i will be here with you till this game see day light. <3
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    fawo said:
    all you sceptics will buy the game to check out to whine abit more. But you will eat your word`s i already sayed 1:5 real life bets accepting... END OF STORY!
    Hmm so we are the Sith now...

But I'm glad you Jedi are taking a calm stance without going into the extreme.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • stimulus999stimulus999 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    heh, the "reason" they used kickstarter is the same reason anyone does anything..greed. they saw how much money Camelot Unchained has made from fools and thought .."hey i gotta get in on that!" Cant say i blame em tho. if people are dumb enough to just give money away then ..i suppose it makes sense to take it.
    ive been warned .lol
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Oh these mmorpg.com elitist .....
    Few years ago wield Star wow such a fun game amazing went down the toiled
    Arch Age wow amazing game world pvp WOW WO WO double WOW went down the toiled
    BDO OMG THIS TIME THIS IS PERFECT MMO sold 400k coppies in slowly is going down the toiled
    NEW HYPE for MMORPG.com elitist is another Asian Crappy game Bless or Icarus ....and story will repeat ...
    Or Pathfinder Pantheon StarCitizen Crawfall yeah tell me more dear eletists about how much you value your money ....
    You seems to throw money left in right mindlessly

just accept the fact you are not so intelligent as you pretend ( after all some one who have 5k 9 k 10 k post about mmorpg well what you can expect from such person ) and you wasted lot of money on stupid projects and now you bash CoE for being angry on your own previous failures .

for me CoE is first project that attracted me because they already had raw footage and game play unlike previous Projects that got you into only with Ideas spoken in video ...

I hope COE will succeed and I hope it will have a moderate community...of loyal and adult people.
    Because these elitists loyalty is like prostitutes loyalty they hop from one loyalty to another .

SO dear Elitists what's next BIG MMO Icarus ? XD
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    How do they know it's funding fatigue and people just not wanting to donate to their kickstarter, do they really expect people just to give money to every game using kickstarter.

What is transparent about showing photos and videos of combat is that not something most do because i have seen photos and videos of Patheon and Star Citizen i think they are the only two games to use kickstarter that i have paid any interest too.

If you like the idea donate i am not bashing the game i just think maybe they could of come up with a better sponsored article.    
  • AaronVictoriaAaronVictoria Member UncommonPosts: 25
    If they're asking for more funding it's a safe assumption that it isn't finished yet.  And from what I've seen so far I haven't gotten the impression that the game is anywhere near completion.  There's some demo stuff sure, but I believe a lot of this is still on the drawing board.  When somebody puts up a Kickstarter for a game, I assume there's been some work done but obviously the game isn't close to being finished otherwise why the Kickstarter?

So, everyone is going to interpret what they've seen so far through their own lenses but to me I don't think Soulbound has been giving off false impressions.  They're dreaming big, sure, but they're also asking for help so that's an admission that they can't get this done without more funding.  I'm inclined to give it to them because I want to play this game.  And like I said, there are two possible outcomes; it succeeds or it fails.  I'm prepared to accept that it could fail but I'm not going to ignore the opportunity to see a game like this made.  

It's ironic because if everyone who wanted to play the game just chipped in they'd probably have no issues at all getting whatever other funding they need, but you've got that segment that wants to sit on the sidelines and say "not me, I'm not stupid, I'll wait until it's done".  Because it's so important to some people to pat themselves on the back I guess and reassure themselves they're just too darn smart to donate to a risky kickstarter.  It's not really about the money for a lot of people.  It's about pride.  They're afraid of feeling foolish if they throw $50 at a project and nothing ever comes of it.  Well okay, that's their prerogative, but I see it differently.  I would feel foolish if I didn't chip in because the only way it moves forward is if enough people contribute.
    Thanks for this great, lengthy reply; I really appreciate it. Seeing it from this more elaborate perspective makes far more sense to me. I have 2 friends that threw in quite a large amount, and after telling me about it, they both seemed to be under the impression that the team had a fully playable game. That is really what kind of bothered me. They didn't really commit to the product from your point-of-view. For them, it wasn't about pride, or in order to be influential in supporting a cause. They seemed to impulse invest, thinking "they have most of the game done, and our money will help them get over he hump". Thanks for you detailed input, because I can definitely say I'm on the level with you now.

Maric said:

SedrynTyros, unlike you, a majority of people don't like to blindly throw money away.

ORLY? Tell that to Las Vegas.

Nice rebuttal, but I've honestly never known anyone, personally, to go to Vegas under he impressions that he odds were in their favor. Most of my friends that have gone, and myself as well, expect to lose big. I don't think many people throw money at a Kickstarter project saying, "Here we go.. this project is probably going to fail hard, but let's just see!!" That's how most people go about gambling, and mostly due to the fact that gambling is openly accepted as 50/50 chances to go either way. Which is what I feel Kickstarter tried to infer with their recently required, "Risks and Challenges" section. However, I've never seen any one of them say, "There is an equal chance of failure and success so take a gamble", and leave it at that. The honest posters usually speak about the possibility of failure, and go on to explain how they have various elements in place to avoid failure.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The problem is that developers are still waiting until they are far into the project before speaking to the players. They don't talk to them from the very start. They spend money they don't really have to create the basics, then offer it up to the players to pay for it in kickstarter. And by that time, they've wasted all that money and don't want to give up the ghost on what they've already created because THEIR hearts are in it while the fans may not like what was done.

Just as an example... the artwork in EQ Next and EQ Landmark. Players have been saying for a long time that they don't like it. Over and over again. It's too cartoony for most players. If the devs had bothered to offer up pictures of the designs they were looking at BEFORE development began, the players could have said no and they could have gone a different direction. Instead, they went ahead with it anyway because they had already spent all that money and time developing it. What players said meant nothing. Again. Par for the course for the company but it shows a stubborn and childish non care.

There were alot of other reasons EQ Next went the way of the dodo and eq landmark are still here but the devs STILL aren't learning how this needs to be done. It's quite amazing how incredibly reluctant the mmo gaming industry is to change while everyone else at least tries other things. Heck, even McDonalds has completely revamped their menu in recognition of the need to change the way they do things.

I went back to playing eq2 and in fact paid for a whole year of it. Because it's still better than anything released in the last ten years because the devs WILL NOT LISTEN.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    heh, the "reason" they used kickstarter is the same reason anyone does anything..greed. they saw how much money Camelot Unchained has made from fools and thought .."hey i gotta get in on that!" Cant say i blame em tho. if people are dumb enough to just give money away then ..i suppose it makes sense to take it.
    Didn't this guy sell his house to make this game? That sounds like a really greedy guy unwilling to take risks to make this game a reality to me... Doing it all for the greed for sure...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson