Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Overwatch flop?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited April 2016 in Overwatch
Blizzard has a habit of making extremely popular games.  Even the ones I think are total failures have tons of sales and tons of players.  Will Overwatch the new MOBA / mortal Kombat style game be another huge success for them or will this finally be the game that flops?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    Blizzard has a habit of making extremely popular games.  Even the ones I think are total failures have tons of sales and tons of players.  Will Overwatch the new MOBA / mortal Kombat style game be another huge success for them or will this finally be the game that flops?
     It's not going to dethrone CS:GO or any other top played game. It will be a money maker for blizzard, but that's about as far as it goes imo. CS:GO offers Young Adults ways to gamble skins/money with 3rd party sites via their systems, and LoL has far too many players to be worried. 

I have a feeling it will be more popular on twitch than Heroes of the Storm though, so success is all in how you look at it. 

Edit: Poll didn't have an option I felt matched my view.
  • greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    How is it anything like Mortal Kombat? For that matter, how is it similar to LoL? Its an arena shooter without lanes, without minion waves, no in-game rankups or levels, and its in first person. If anything its similar to SMITE, but even that is a stretch.

• rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    filmoret said:
    See here's the thing. Let it be whatever it ends up being. I will play Battleborn because that's more my thing than Overwatch. Not to be fair I haven't played it but will on open beta day. Maybe I'll change my mind but any success in games right now helps all gamers.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    How is it anything like Mortal Kombat? For that matter, how is it similar to LoL? Its an arena shooter without lanes, without minion waves, no in-game rankups or levels, and its in first person. If anything its similar to SMITE, but even that is a stretch.
    Seems like CoD to me game-play wise.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

It will be huge. It s an amazing game, that ill only get better.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    It will make money because.. Blizzard.

Game will drop down to average interest after the wave of people play it.
    Is that enough? Sure.

Should you consider that enough? No.
    For a company like Blizzard/Activision with 100's of millions of dollars at their disposal. Infinite resources and access to just about anything they want in the gaming world...

Overwatch sucks.
  • ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Wait overwatch is like a moba and mortal combat? Isn't more akin to TF2?

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited April 2016
    Overwatch will be a huge success. Likely somewhere between WoW and Hearthstone (Which is currently their most successful title). They have marketed this game incredibly well, please also remember that the "it will be huge at launch then flop" is irrelevant. The game is B2P, the model is closer to Diablo 3 then HotS or League. Even if the game does poorly after the initial hype, they can easily bring people back with a big juicy free patch. The only things in the cash shop will be the chests which drop pretty commonly in game already from just leveling up.  Blizzard is putting a whole lot into this and as we have seen previously, Blizzard gets what they want typically. Not that they don't deserve it; the game is pretty great. 

One thing to remember that is vitally important to the argument though, is that this game will be on PS4 and Xbox One as well. That is a pretty big deal. There is currently no game of any significance taking up residence where Overwatch would on consoles. TF2 flopped hard on consoles and Call of Duty is not even remotely the same kind of game. The console market still has a majority share on video games; and while it won't sell nearly as much on console most likely since it is Blizzard who has primarily developed for PC in the past, it will probably still grab a few million copies on console. 

This is also filling a hole in their own roster of games. There are tons of Blizzard fans out there who only play Blizzard games; an FPS made by them at this point is a dream come true for those guys. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    This game hits all the right notes in the symphony of FPS combat.

It has a character for just about everyone, and for someone like me it has several characters that I can't wait to try.

Will it dethrone the MOBA scene?  I highly doubt it.  Will it take the market by surprise and do exceedingly well?  I'm pretty sure it will.  In fact, I would expect an army of clones are waiting in the wings to see how well it sells.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    H0urg1ass said:

Will it dethrone the MOBA scene?  I highly doubt it.  Will it take the market by surprise and do exceedingly well?  I'm pretty sure it will.  In fact, I would expect an army of clones are waiting in the wings to see how well it sells.
    Absolutely agree! I think that this is really great for people who like these kinds of games. I only want to see it succeed because I am sick of all the realistic FPS / Call of Duty type games that have come about for over a decade at this point. I want more arcade style paced shooters. May is a great month for us with Battleborn, Doom, and Overwatch all hitting. I hope they all do great! I would LOVE to see an army of clones attempting to do one over on Overwatch as well. Competition is only a good thing. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    It's just a TF2 style team based FPS . . . It'll be colorful, slick, polished, and likely fun to play. It will do very well, but why on earth would anyone think it would come close to LoL? Isn't HoTS Blizzard's MOBA? And it's no where near LoL or Dota2.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Don't think comparing it to LoL fair. They're two completely different genres.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I think it'll do well.

As for me, I probably won't be playing it for long. Overwatch, is, in my opinion, a half-cooked mess with terrible balance between Attack and Defense teams, some really bad maps (coughRoute66cough), and some of the worst matchmaking I've ever seen.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Overwatch has more viewers right now then League of Legends.  I have never seen anything beating LOL in viewers.  twitch.tv
    Are you onto something or just on something?