Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift is going to destroy families and relationships

ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

Oculus Rift turned out to be an unintentionally ideal name for a gadget dedicated to carving ruptures between people. They also could have called it the “Digital Chasm” or the “Interaction Canyon.”

The virtual-reality headsets, available at 48 Best Buy stores beginning May 7, promise to widen further what is already an alarming, tech-induced gap among couples, friends and families. Smartphones have already whipped up a wasteland of blankness — the real-life equivalent of dead air on the radio.

We’re living in “Um, honey?” time. As in, “Um, honey, how was your day at school?” (No answer. Lots of tapping.)

“Um, honey, have you seen my glasses?” (No answer. “Memes” are being considered.)

“Um, honey? I need your attention, please. Please? We have an infestation of gila monsters. The house is burning down. I’m leaving you for another family.” (No answer. Snapchat being checked.)

The Oculus Rift? It’s basically a smartphone you wrap around your face. Put it on; reality can’t get in. This is the appeal of drugs, too.

As with drugs, easily bored young people are particularly susceptible. Think your kids are hard to connect with now? Wait till they get themselves an Oculus Rift and begin to expend all their attention, instead of just most of it, on the Great Elsewhere. They’ll be off in a world of their own imagining: hiking up Everest. Having a light-saber duel with Kylo Ren. Joining the Kardashian family.

Full Story: http://nypost.com/2016/05/05/oculus-rift-is-going-to-destroy-families-and-relationships/

Comments

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    This reminds me of the geniuses that said TV was going ruin everyone's minds.......
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This reminds me of the geniuses that said TV was going ruin everyone's minds.......
    Wait, I thought they did. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Well if you look at the number of reality shows I'd say it has.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    lol. I thought about posting that article as well.

1. they said that about TV back in the day
    2. they said that about computer games just a few decades ago
    3. they assume any and all human realtionships are better to have then a digital life and for those who come from families of abuse I think its fair to say their realtionships with technology is better than with people so I dont accept that realtionships with people are by default better than realtionships with technology.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    When growing up, I didn't have all these devices, I actually had to go outside and play. If I wanted to pretend, I didn't put on goggles, etc, I just did.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    botrytis said:
    When growing up, I didn't have all these devices, I actually had to go outside and play. If I wanted to pretend, I didn't put on goggles, etc, I just did.

Now, you just troll gaming forums.  
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Sensationalist article is sensational.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    moshra said:
    botrytis said:

Now, you just troll gaming forums.  

No - jes stating a fact. If anything your post is the troll. Parents need to take responsibility for their children, not just give them everything and hope for the best....

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    SEANMCAD said:

3. they assume any and all human realtionships are better to have then a digital life and for those who come from families of abuse I think its fair to say their realtionships with technology is better than with people so I dont accept that realtionships with people are by default better than realtionships with technology.

I saw it on Drudge report and thought I should forward this lol... Thought it was interesting topic for discussion..

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    SEANMCAD said:

I saw it on Drudge report and thought I should forward this lol... Thought it was interesting topic for discussion..
    Yea Seanmcad had to put up with those naysayers back when televisions came out and now he has to put up with this.  Give the dude a break..
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    SEANMCAD said:

I forgot to add number 4

4. if a relationship are so fragile that they can be destroyed by TV...oh I mean by video games...oh I mean by VR then maybe a relationship is over rated

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    botrytis said:

You are right, Mom just threw is out the door in the rain, snow, sleet, or shine and told us to come back at dinner.

Our days were full of fun activities such as smoking cigarettes, reading Penthouse, Hustler at the local bookstore, vandalism of private and public property, gang fighting, trying to get in a girl's pants, alcohol and illegal drug consumption.

But good thing we didn't waste any time on computer games. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    To a great extent all these things have created gaps and divides.  No doubt.  It does not mean they do not have merit and tremendous value.  You could say the exact same about drugs, bicycles and books.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The NY Post lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    The NY Post lol.
    they just found out about VR today so we should cut them some slack...lol

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    The NY Post lol.
    I'm just surprised they didn't find some drunk to pose as a doctor and say that it also causes blindness.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    At the current asking price it won't be affecting that many relationships. The rabid fans who are willing to pay for it now are probably "relationship challenged" anyway.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Just a nonsense advertising article, they are trying to make out it's something amazing when most people don't care or know about it.
    edited May 2016
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    The NY Post lol.
    I'm just surprised they didn't find some drunk to pose as a doctor and say that it also causes blindness.
    or compare the technology attempt to that of the first CRT monitor.

ha!

or how people will end up in the hospital in the masses from neck injuries.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    To prepare myself for when I actually get a OR.  I broke up with my girlfriend today.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    'Lil Wayne in a rowboat with Wesley Snipes' ...

nuff said.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    kitarad said:
    Well if you look at the number of reality shows I'd say it has.
    +100 Accuracy
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117

Model railways, post stamp collecting, bird watching, golf... all time(and money)-consuming hobbies that may serve as escapes from reality and can potentially harm human relationships.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    And that differs from now how? I already have friends who lost wife and kids to Wow, the people who would waste all their time on VR already do so with something else.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    And here I was uninformed that at least 60% of households dont even have the tech to run OR properly....yeah, the end times are upon us. Sadly, not many people are gonna drop 1k on a rig and like 400-600 on the OR?