Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's Gate MORPG

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    So the game is being sold as a Balder's Gate MMORPG yet on steam it is sold as.....

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/41973820513775922/?l=polish

"The game was never trying to be Baldur´s gate. Swen has mentioned Ultima over and over again during his blog posts. 

I guess you never played that, and are just going off the "baldur´s gate" buzzword.

Also, Baldurs gate has the same thing with voice actors. Ton of it are text...did you even play the game."

Like I state in my posts we just can't believe what any developer says anymore. 

I will check the game out but highly doubt i will play it because of different comments about how they sell the game. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Brenics said:
    So the game is being sold as a Balder's Gate MMORPG yet on steam it is sold as.....

"The game was never trying to be Baldur´s gate. Swen has mentioned Ultima over and over again during his blog posts. 

I guess you never played that, and are just going off the "baldur´s gate" buzzword.

Also, Baldurs gate has the same thing with voice actors. Ton of it are text...did you even play the game."

I will check the game out but highly doubt i will play it because of different comments about how they sell the game. 
    Did you post this in the wrong thread?

That link and your comments are not relevant to this thread at all from what I can tell. 

This is about a Baldurs gate Persistent world using NWN2...unless I have totally misread the OP...
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Yanocchi said:
    I never realized until today that the game has almost 300 magic spells just for arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, bards) alone. The total number of spells must be well over 500 with divine spells.

Found a list with 277 arcane spells today.

Going by a quick reading of that list, they didn't add that much more than vanilla NWN2+expac offered.

That was the good old time.
    Brenics said:

That link and your comments are not relevant to this thread at all from what I can tell. 

This is about a Baldurs gate Persistent world using NWN2...unless I have totally misread the OP...
    Well I did a search for a BG MMO and I guess I was fooled by how the OP put it. So yeah I guess I was wrong. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Brenics said:

I don't think he realized that the info he put was for Divinity Original Sin.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Brenics said:

I have no real excuse for the mistake, other than I was on my cell at the time. Cell phones are still new to me, am old school and just recently moved to a cell. 

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    The next video shows a concept which is at the opposite extreme in relation to the free-to-play concept that puts fashion and cosmetic items for real life money in microtransaction shops.

As illustrated in the video, a game with no incentive to milk real money can just give player an item changer system that allows him/her to customize character's appearance in great detail with hundreds of variations for each piece of equipment to enable very individualised fashion appearances. :)

Anyway, this is how fashion works there.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Brenics said:
    Sovrath said:
    Brenics said:

I have no real excuse for the mistake, other than I was on my cell at the time. Cell phones are still new to me, am old school and just recently moved to a cell. 
    Funny that, I bought a new "smart phone" and I feel like a luddite on the damn thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Fun project. :)

I have hopes that Shards will let us create even more interesting worlds once it releases. NWN 1 & 2 do have the limit that the D&D rules aren't perfect for long persistant worlds, you do level up and get good gear easily even if the right customization can limit the issue.

Forgotten realms is a great IP for MMOs, too bad that Neverwinter isn't capturing it as well as it could.
    edited April 2016
    Loke666 said:
    Fun project. :)

I have hopes that Shards will let us create even more interesting worlds once it releases. NWN 1 & 2 do have the limit that the D&D rules aren't perfect for long persistant worlds, you do level up and get good gear easily even if the right customization can limit the issue.

Forgotten realms is a great IP for MMOs, too bad that Neverwinter isn't capturing it as well as it could.

The game engines of NWN 1 and possibly NWN 2 can be reshaped into completely different forms. CD Projekt made their first Witcher game on the Aurora engine from NWN 1. Some colleges and universities in Great Britain and the USA have reshaped NWN 1 into educational software in the past. Some enthusiasts have also made sci-fi modules based on less modified NWN 1.

I'm keeping an eye on Shards but so far it feels like the company is trying to combine a similar concept with "lite" game engine and graphics. It doesn't feel like a modernised version of NWN, though perhaps the modding community will be able to do some technological wonders with it. It was disappointing that The Sword Coast Legends went down the "lite" path too with its implementation of multiplayer component.

Fortunately, there is still some longevity left in NWN 2. Developers can import graphics from modern games into NWN 2 without noticeable loss of fidelity. For example, some objects were imported directly from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for a game map in the Baldur's Gate world.

Face and hair paks is one of the other examples how the game's lifespan is being prolonged. The image above shows face and hair selectable for a female sun elf in original NWN 2. The image below shows one of the modern selectable alternatives for a female sun elf's face and hair in the Baldur's Gate world.

edited April 2016
    Here's a couple of more comparisons between old and new versions..

Drow

Human

Moon Elf

Post edited by Yanocchi on

TY Yanocchi! I think it's working. Synchronizing a lot of content first.
    @CoolWaters Did you get in? What are your first impressions like? :o

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Loke666 said:

It's a crying shame that after all these years we still haven't seen a true FR MMO.

DDO was a  cool experiment(not FR though) into the hub-based dungeon romp style. 
    But, it should have made them see the obvious opportunity of a true MMO based on their FR IP.  They really missed a golden opportunity by doing a repeat with Neverwinter instead of a full-blown, open-world FR MMO.
    They would have had a raving success if they had ever released a true MMO based on their lore and characters.
    Yesterday I made a level 1 druid character to show how the life of a new character begins in the world of Baldur's Gate. The first video shows the character visiting a few buildings in the eastern part of the city of Baldur's Gate. In the second part the character goes to a graveyard close to Baldur's Gate and groups up with 2-3 other player characters to hunt some undead.

• Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Those pics took nearly the entire page was that really neccesary?
    Game Trailer

A lot shorter new trailer with a lot more content in it.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I bought NWN2 from GOG.com and installed it. I set updates to 'Manual', so my game is currently at the correct version. Unfortunately, the game won't run on my system. I don't even make it to loading screens or splash screens to say nothing of a menu.

Maybe some other day.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I bought NWN2 from GOG.com and installed it. I set updates to 'Manual', so my game is currently at the correct version. Unfortunately, the game won't run on my system. I don't even make it to loading screens or splash screens to say nothing of a menu.

Maybe some other day.
    I had the same issue when I ran NWN 1 a few years back. Try to start it legacy mode as XP, might work for NWN 2 as well.
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I really like what I've read and seen.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Sorry, My MMO fix is on hold until CoE. Going to let the absence of MMOs build up my enthusiasm.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Loke666 said:

Maybe some other day.
    I had the same issue when I ran NWN 1 a few years back. Try to start it legacy mode as XP, might work for NWN 2 as well.

That's very strange. I am really sorry to hear that, BitterClinger. :cry: I've seen your videos about MMORPGs. It would be very interesting to get your perspective on the Baldur's Gate Online experience if you could get it working.

Unlike NWN 1, NWN 2 doesn't need to be run in compatibility modes in Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10. GoG copy should work without issues just like old copies from Steam, Gamersgate or the original boxed version copies. You can even mix different versions with each other in some cases. For example, I have NWN 2 + Mask of the Betrayer from the original boxed versions released in 2006-2008 and I have Storm of Zehir expansion from a Gamersgate version I bought a few years ago in 2012-2014. The Gamersgate SoZ expansion was installed and works without any issues with the boxed versions. Also, NWN 2 is not squimish with modern quad CPUs, modern graphic cards and drivers. It even works very well in 3D mode with nVIDIA 3D Vision 2.

The community of Baldur's Gate Online is very supportive and usually tries its best to help everyone who has some issues with NWN 2. There are people in the community who seem to know a lot how to fix the game if someone has issues. In the past they have even succeeded helping people who have tried to run NWN 2 on Mac instead of PC by providing some really elaborate technical solutions. There's a good chance they will be able to pinpoint the exact problem and suggest the right fix. http://bgtscc1.com/forum/index.php

Avanah said:
    Sorry, My MMO fix is on hold until CoE. Going to let the absence of MMOs build up my enthusiasm.

Baldur's Gate Online (and release version of Star Citizen) will be my fix until CoE. :awesome:

Loke666 said:

Maybe some other day.

Found this thread discussing the GoG copy of NWN 2. Some people were able to solve their NWN 2 problems with the following solutions.

- running the game either in XP SP2 or XP SP3 compatibility mode (SP3 might not work but SP2 might or vice versa)
    - disabling EAX sound (might cause issues with certain soundcards)

As Loke suggested, compatibility mode could provide a solution even to NWN 2 after all.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Ok, I did get the game running in Windows 7 SP2 compatibility mode. Now I am waiting for a 'Multiplayer CD Key' from GOG. I'm not sure what the turn-around on this will be.