Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Static NPC’s Bother You?

124»

Comments

• GraySealGraySeal Member UncommonPosts: 26
    MMO game investment speculation money should be insisting a talent such as IADaveMark is on the project.  His ideas are the future just around the corner.  These ideas will be embraced by the paying public.
  • CoyotecCoyotec Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I have been an RPer since 1980, I am drawn to the MMO's as well but I really don't think of them as being one and the same. It is possible that some day all the NPC's will be able to interact, change and learn. But it isn't there yet, the most sophisticated AI today became a Nazi loving crazy within hours. To expect AI right now is expecting way too much. Heck, the idea of being friends or whatnot with AI NPCs is an amazing to think of. Heck, even scripted can be expanded on. But this has limits right now. Play with real people if you expect roleplaying. Expect the NPCs in the background to be just that, heck the noise of idiot players I find worse than any scripted NPC.
  • IADaveMarkIADaveMark AI Design on EQNMember UncommonPosts: 15
    GraySeal said:
    MMO game investment speculation money should be insisting a talent such as IADaveMark is on the project.  His ideas are the future just around the corner.  These ideas will be embraced by the paying public.
    That's what my current client thinks. ;-)

President & Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm,
    Author of Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI,
    Game AI consultant, GDC AI Summit advisor, co-founder of AIGPG | IntrinsicAlgorithm.com

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Not at all.

Nevertheless, I do understand how they can negatively affect immersion for some people.

I am pretty sure it was a huge problem for you in SWTOR though. I remember the shit storm that was about static NPC in SWTOR.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Greyed said:

It depends. If their loop is long enough then no, it's not a problem. However Arenanet and Daum both made the same mistake. They put a very vocal NPC on a short loop near locations that players are apt to linger.

Since this article is within the context of BDO I think we all know that NPC.

"Do it BETTER!"

"AUGH, you suck!"

Now you know it.

If an NPC is going to be static then it probably shouldn't be vocal. And if it's vocal it shouldn't be on a 3 minute loop with some of the most aggrivating vocal work ever. And if it is, don't put it next to the fracking BANK! >.<<br />

Yeah Shia is hella annoying. Some others I find annoying.

"You came to see me. I guess you're pretty good at sensing where the money is" Suita the trade manager in Heidel

What the hell are you talking about? "You about to make me angry" -some kid in Heidel by the tipped over cart

the extra loud "HELLO I'M LARA!"-Lara in Heidel

And never fish on the docks in Velia with the sound on...ever..or you will be tortured with a Nicolas Cage sound alike.

LOOKING AT THE SEA... MAKES ME FEEL RELIEVED... LIKE WHEN MY MOTHER HOLDS ME! :/

I TOLD HER I WOULD NEVER LET HER STARVE...MAYBE THAT WASN'T THE RIGHT THING TO SAY.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I think that diversity is the answer here. Several types of NPCs in the same game would make that game better. Some examples:

-Some NPCs are essentially controls that the player needs to access, and those characters should be largely static.

-Other NPCs are quest givers or start event chains, I think those characters should be mixed with "Flavor" NPCs who have longer and varied paths. Paths that are tied to the game world Time/Events are also a good thing. I personally like it when Merchants go home at Night, and I would love it if Taverns became more crowded and raucous at night.

-Then there are NPCs that are characters in their own right and vie with Players for importance. Kings, Heroes, Archenemies, Spies, Kingmakers, etc. Some NPCs should be given dynamic pathing and AI to allow for them to come and go in more unpredictable patterns and to do things that make sense for their story. A world that happens outside of the actions of the players is a more realistic one, especially considering that most players are simply following the gravy train from one combat breadcrumb trail to the next.

-Easter Egg NPCs are neat to have in a game: an NPC who appears in random places and at random intervals but who adds some little piece of flavor. This is not a "fair" feature where everyone gets to find the guy, but a lotto of sorts designed to add to the perceived life force of the game world.

-Quest Objective NPCs: I can't remember a version of this that wasn't completely predictable, but having a Quest to find an NPC that isn't always in room 2, floor 3 of castle black would be great if it took a long time and had some sophistication to the mystery/hunt.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    In most MMORPG's existence of much more serious problems do not let me care about "static kind NPCs".
    If we speak about BDO, I was sure that the article is about two non functional NPC guards that always stand very close to any vendor or bank NPC. That really makes mad a lot of players. One coming to a bank access NPC, clicks in the middle of a crowd and usually interact with one of guards instead of banker! That can enrage any normal player, not "repetitive" NPC behavior. Also BDO have some NPCs that behave "realistic" way, like disappear during night hours. Maybe a few players like it, while majority curses game devs for such inconvenience.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    DMKano said:
    It is my goal to fix this... one I work on every day. And really, what got me into doing game AI in the first place.

Don't give up hope! It's out there... and not as far away as you might think! ;-)

Well what storybricks promised for EQN was fantastic - I definitely had dreams of NPCs having their own virtual lives and tasks - but with death of EQN and death of storybricks - that's sort of gone for me.

I was completely heartbroken to see storybricks shut down :(. I wish they come back somehow :(.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.