Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's May 3rd! Where is the Kickstarter?

Comments

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Dakeru said:
    black777 said:
    Dakeru said:
    I don't see anymore mention of a 3 months headstart so I take my comment about this being p2w back.

BLOODLINE (digital)

• Mount: thoroughbred horse¹ for breeding or travelling
    Help flesh out the world and story with access to 3 month game intro - servers will not be wiped 
    • Choose your own custom surname³
    • 100 Influence Points (IP) - see chart for options
    • Digital town guide (PDF)
    • In-game decorative plaque¹ (exclusive to Kickstarter backers)
    • Forum Badge - Bloodline

+++ Plus all previous rewards +++

Ouch lol
    Have you never started playing a sandbox after release date?

What exactly are people so terrified of?

If having a headstart in an open world sandbox game was such a death sentence, EVE would have died years and years ago. And yet somehow it continues to gain new players...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Vucar said:
    Dakeru said:
    black777 said:
    Dakeru said:
    I don't see anymore mention of a 3 months headstart so I take my comment about this being p2w back.

BLOODLINE (digital)

• Mount: thoroughbred horse¹ for breeding or travelling
    Help flesh out the world and story with access to 3 month game intro - servers will not be wiped 
    • Choose your own custom surname³
    • 100 Influence Points (IP) - see chart for options
    • Digital town guide (PDF)
    • In-game decorative plaque¹ (exclusive to Kickstarter backers)
    • Forum Badge - Bloodline

+++ Plus all previous rewards +++

Ouch lol

If having a headstart in an open world sandbox game was such a death sentence, EVE would have died years and years ago. And yet somehow it continues to gain new players...
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you backed the game at a level that gives you the 3 month head start...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• therdretherdre Member UncommonPosts: 50
    This game on paper looks great, but I feel like while they have the best of intentions they are definitely overreaching on what they will be able to do.  Also a few of the mechanics are things that sound cool but when implemented might be more of a pain in the ass or just not fun (mini-games for crafting comes to mind).  One question I do have though is since you stay in the world even when you log out, can somebody kill you when your logged out and reduce your lifespan? I hope that's not the case that would be the dumbest idea for a game I've ever heard.  (Key word being this is a game, its supposed to be fun not punish you for not being constantly logged in).  Anyways I'll be watching, I doubt I'll back it unless they can really show that they can implement all of these amazing features in a fun way.  The only two games I've back were Elite:Dangerous and Shroud of the Avatar so....I've learned my lesson from kickstarter games
    therdre said:
    This game on paper looks great, but I feel like while they have the best of intentions they are definitely overreaching on what they will be able to do.  Also a few of the mechanics are things that sound cool but when implemented might be more of a pain in the ass or just not fun (mini-games for crafting comes to mind).  One question I do have though is since you stay in the world even when you log out, can somebody kill you when your logged out and reduce your lifespan? I hope that's not the case that would be the dumbest idea for a game I've ever heard.  (Key word being this is a game, its supposed to be fun not punish you for not being constantly logged in).  Anyways I'll be watching, I doubt I'll back it unless they can really show that they can implement all of these amazing features in a fun way.  The only two games I've back were Elite:Dangerous and Shroud of the Avatar so....I've learned my lesson from kickstarter games
    Avoid logging out in places that aren't safe and you should be fine.

If you made a homestead out in the middle of no where, much like real life, don't expect to feel safe. No one's coming to help you.

You cannot lose spirit more than once in 2.5 hours. Additionally, who ever does this will be accruing more potential spirit loss by murdering you than you lose by being murdered.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    Vucar said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you backed the game at a level that gives you the 3 month head start...
    I didn't back it at any level, yet agree that the idea that 3 months head-start, somehow hurts a game is quite silly. It would be no different than starting a game a few months or even years after release (as Vucar pointed out). People do it all of the time, that's individually; yet they can still do fine...

This would be many people joining at the same time, when the full player base jumps in, which means doing "fine" would be that much easier... Plenty of fair competition to be had, as well as plenty of players to join up with. I fail to see an issue with that. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

I didn't back it at any level, yet agree that the idea that 3 months head-start, somehow hurts a game is quite silly. It would be no different than starting a game a few months or even years after release (as Vucar pointed out). People do it all of the time, that's individually; yet they can still do fine...

This would be many people joining at the same time, when the full player base jumps in, which means doing "fine" would be that much easier... Plenty of fair competition to be had, as well as plenty of players to join up with. I fail to see an issue with that. 
    How many full loot open world PvP games you you joined 3 months after release?  EVE is a one off the same way WOW was.  The MMO graveyard is littered with the corpses of PvP games that thought they were the next EvE.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

How many full loot open world PvP games you you joined 3 months after release?  EVE is a one off the same way WOW was.  The MMO graveyard is littered with the corpses of PvP games that thought they were the next EvE.
    Most of those games fail because of production value and/or rotten communities. if that's the case with this game it won't matter who starts 3 months out, most won't be playing for or after 3 months anyway. 

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

Most of those games fail because of production value and/or rotten communities. if that's the case with this game it won't matter who starts 3 months out, most won't be playing for or after 3 months anyway. 
    So your answer is zero I take it.  OK thanks.

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

Your point has little do with those failures though so it's still silly...

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

Sure. You gave an example of talking about how it's no different than starting a game a few years after release. I asked how many times you had done that in a full loot open world PvP game.  Your answer is zero.  Thus my point.

if people WANT to join a game 3 months after release they should feel free to do so. I just do not believe that most even realize there is a 3 month Headstart for backers wo pay $120 or more.

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Vucar said:

Sure. You gave an example of talking about how it's no different than starting a game a few years after release. I asked how many times you had done that in a full loot open world PvP game.  Your answer is zero.  Thus my point.

if people WANT to join a game 3 months after release they should feel free to do so. I just do not believe that most even realize there is a 3 month Headstart for backers wo pay $120 or more.
    Maybe not completely full loot, but partially loot OWPVP - Uncharted Waters Online. Started several years after release and had a blast. If the world is big enough, has stuff to explore and such than its no big deal who started when. 

Actually I offered a reason why that disadvantage would mean even less in this case, as the extended player-base would be coming in as a whole at that time. 

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    In a game that is not level or gear based a 3 month head start is nothing really. Also, its not a full loot PvP game. There wont be anyone permadead in that 3 months getting fully looted. It also seems like so many people here think CoE is a PvP focused game. Its really not. Yes, theres open world PvP, but that doesnt make it a PvP centered game. With the harsh penalties put on those how coup de grace people and get caught I dont think you will see nearly as much of that in CoE as everyone seems to think. So many people think CoE will be like Ark or Mortal Online where almost everyone you see will just attack you on sight. I dont think that will be the case at all. I think this game has different systems in play that will help curb the rampant kill on sight mentalities of so many survival games.

The 3 month head start is to allow for players to create families and dynasties. For them to start planning villages and things like that. Its not like youll have anyone mastering anything in that 3 months. They wont be repeating the final raid boss 1234135 times in that three months(because those dont exist in CoE). They wont just be farming loot or gold, as those two things are nearly impossible in CoE. The head start will help those that get in, but it wont cripple anyone who starts after.
    @Deffcon_1 for some perspective, did you back at a level where you will benefit from the 3 month Headstart?

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    This game requires people to build the world.  3 months is enough time to set up the initial world (towns and whatnot) for the main population to interact with.

Sure, if you want to be a landowner, you'd probably want to get in early.  But keep in mind you might die earlier than you expected.
  • drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    This game requires people to build the world.  3 months is enough time to set up the initial world (towns and whatnot) for the main population to interact with.

Sure, if you want to be a landowner, you'd probably want to get in early.  But keep in mind you might die earlier than you expected.
    There is going to be alot of land that those 3 months won't really be detrimental for those joining later
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117

I haven't backed but the way I see it, those who start early (assuming for the sake of argument that the game will some day reach that stage) will be the targets for a whole bunch of PvPers for reasons of pride, envy and challengeseeking. Not just combat-type PvP but economically, socially and any other way players can compete. Who are you going to gun for if you're truly a competitive player if not the biggest, baddest target you can find?

I'm afraid the ones who purchase their king titles will be dethroned in the shortest time the game mechanics allow. Likewise, the headstarted merchants will see their goods stolen and their businesses outcompeted, the noble families will be bullied and brought to the gutter.. all because they start the game with big targets painted on their backs. They will be the content, the substitute for raid bosses in other games.

Or so i would guess.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    User836 said:

I haven't backed but the way I see it, those who start early (assuming for the sake of argument that the game will some day reach that stage) will be the targets for a whole bunch of PvPers for reasons of pride, envy and challengeseeking. Not just combat-type PvP but economically, socially and any other way players can compete. Who are you going to gun for if you're truly a competitive player if not the biggest, baddest target you can find?

I'm afraid the ones who purchase their king titles will be dethroned in the shortest time the game mechanics allow. Likewise, the headstarted merchants will see their goods stolen and their businesses outcompeted, the noble families will be bullied and brought to the gutter.. all because they start the game with big targets painted on their backs. They will be the content, the substitute for raid bosses in other games.

Or so i would guess.

This seems much more likely the way it will play out compared to the narrow-minded "It's p2w" idea.

I don't think it will be quite that harsh, but the initial players will be creating much of the content and in some ways will "be" the content themselves when the game is released.

In any case, it's all very interesting and I really do hope the game gets made.

All you people that actually have money unlike myself should back this game!
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    @Deffcon_1 for some perspective, did you back at a level where you will benefit from the 3 month Headstart?

I did not. I backed enough to get the game, and thats all. If I had more I would though.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    User836 said:

Or so i would guess.

The opposite could happen in the case of clans and guilds who are well-organized when they arrive to CoE. The three month headstart might give them the time to learn the ropes and do all the necessary preparations to start blackmailing or bossing newcomers. The three month headstart may give them the time to get some gear and explore the world to find a lucrative place for gathering resources. After the headstart they could have a large group of guild members with adequate gear staying in that place to collect taxes from all the newcomers who visit that area.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Yanocchi said:
    User836 said:

Or so i would guess.

The opposite could happen in the case of clans and guilds who are well-organized when they arrive to CoE. The three month headstart might give them the time to learn the ropes and do all the necessary preparations to start blackmailing or bossing newcomers. The three month headstart may give them the time to get some gear and explore the world to find a lucrative place for gathering resources. After the headstart they could have a large group of guild members with adequate gear staying in that place to collect taxes from all the newcomers who visit that area.

Yeah let's give Goonsquad a 3 month headstart in a full loot PvP game!!

I'm sure this will end well!

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Yanocchi said:
    User836 said:

Or so i would guess.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited May 2016
    So much negativity in this thread. A three month headstart is hardly the end of the world. If that was the case, nobody would ever be able to join a game's community after launch and we all know that's not the case. People come and go all the time, in all MMO's. And in this one, it's necessary to get a basic infrastructure sorted out before the bulk of the population arrives.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
    edited May 2016
    Yanocchi said:
    User836 said:

Or so i would guess.

If you're really that terrified of someone starting any mmo before you, i'd stop wasting time on this subforum and immediately begin searching the internet for all the future mmos you want to play when they release before you miss out on the first day.

Quick! Before they start launching!

Go! You're gonna miss out!.... on something!.... probably!....
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yanocchi said:
    User836 said:

Or so i would guess.

In all fairness, they could show up 6 months late and still crush everyone in a few months because they bring large  numbers and tremendous organization to their game play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon