Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This gameplay footage was before they raised 1 dollar.

124»

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Didnt you know? Such companys dont sell products, they sell concepts!
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:

(Player made Video is from a few days ago, the Top 5 fan made videos have more than 3 million clicks)

I dont think that is a fair measurement of the games current activity level.  Some of the guys creating those fan made videos have millions of subscribers and would get over a million views if they made a video of them using the toilet.  They also cover many other games.  Here is an example of one.

FrankieonPCin1080 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxbivvwPkudpfWrLQHGHQyw

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Distopia said:
    How did this discussion turn into one about 32 vs 64 bit?
    Because the video is from almost (if not more than) 5 years ago, and the biggest reason for the delay is they remade the engine to handle 64 bit (the way they want to) I then mentioned how its all hands on deck for SQ 42 NOT Star Citizen proper. Which then leads tot he whole SC proper, was supposed to be released in Nov of 2015 and then that leads to all the other missed deadlines and failures.

SO that brings us back to the video and the 'alpha' and how the 'alpha' may look prettier it is (as mentioned in this thread somewhere) 64 bit. Which leads to the whole argument people have made since it was announced a couple years ago, 64 bit was and still is a complete waste of time and resources. But really only if the goal was to deliver a game and not simply be trying to extract as much money as they could from people, while also trying to make a game (minimally viable one anyway).
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Haven't watched this myself but thought it rather appropriate, Scott Manley describes how 64 bit works in Kerbal and Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSaNhyzfNFk&feature=youtu.be
    CrazKanuk said:

rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    Deja vu.

Same people, same arguments, same interpretations, same results. 

Have fun
    Because its what we have always said it was and what it has been since this video was shot. Cant really change the argument until something else changes. THATS what you guys dont get. Youre so hung up on trying to spin this and make every failure and missed deadline some sort of 'its normal' campaign you lose sight of the reality of it all.

I said there wasnt a single video if star citizen with a 64 bit system, you then went off on a tangent about Space Engineers. Then after I addressed that you tried to claim the 'alpha' was in 64 bit, I said it wasnt then you went through your whole posting of (completely irrelevant and proving nothing) links and then you basically come to the realization (or you knew it all along and didnt want to admit it) that there is in fact nothing about anything anyone has ever seen from SC that show anything 64 bit.

SO why would we have to change our arguments?

I would disagree about the video. It's very easy to say "Hey! Look! It's exactly the same thing." For those who believe that it's that shallow and argument are obviously uneducated about what it takes to make a game. If you want to fly around in a 500 meter cube with static asteroids, cool! Shipped! 

On top of that, I'm sure that you would contend that the Jennison letter is real..... so if art assets take so long at CIG then why are you wondering why it's taking so long? 

Then you go on to talk about 64-bit and how it isn't done and how it's a massive issue. 

So, basically, there is all this talk about how they haven't made any progress, but you go on to describe areas which are still being addressed. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that planetscape, stations, multiplayer, etc. have been added in. 

Just saying, everything here is quite contradictory. If you really want to make an intelligent argument, I wouldn't put all my eggs into the "they haven't made any progress since 2012" argument. 
    Nah I wasnt talking about the video I was taking about what they have that will actually turn into an MMO. You can cite multiplayer, and artwork and all that you like it still doesnt even have a persistence to it yet. The stuff that has changed is basically the cheapest and easiest stuff there is to do. At least on the scale they have done it which is basically smaller than what all the 'survival' games have done with less time and A LOT less money.

The point about 64 is the crux of the major issues this game had when it was announced. It was and still is the perfect example of Chris Roberts most fatal flaw, over reaching. The irony is they had 'only' raised about 50 million when he claimed it could be done. They have more than doubled that, (allegedly) gotten the guys who helped build the engine to teach people, and have had 2 years to produce something, anything that shows theyre truly able to utilize 64 bit the way they claimed and the way people think it will.

Of course lack of evidence isnt proof of non existence but in this case it probably is because they show 20 and 30 seconds shots of crap that they THINK people will get excited about all the time. But the SINGLE most important stumbling block this game has is all claims and conjecture. As the old saying goes 'wish in one hand shit in the other'.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    rodarin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    Deja vu.

Same people, same arguments, same interpretations, same results. 

Have fun
    Because its what we have always said it was and what it has been since this video was shot. Cant really change the argument until something else changes. THATS what you guys dont get. Youre so hung up on trying to spin this and make every failure and missed deadline some sort of 'its normal' campaign you lose sight of the reality of it all.

I said there wasnt a single video if star citizen with a 64 bit system, you then went off on a tangent about Space Engineers. Then after I addressed that you tried to claim the 'alpha' was in 64 bit, I said it wasnt then you went through your whole posting of (completely irrelevant and proving nothing) links and then you basically come to the realization (or you knew it all along and didnt want to admit it) that there is in fact nothing about anything anyone has ever seen from SC that show anything 64 bit.

SO why would we have to change our arguments?

I would disagree about the video. It's very easy to say "Hey! Look! It's exactly the same thing." For those who believe that it's that shallow and argument are obviously uneducated about what it takes to make a game. If you want to fly around in a 500 meter cube with static asteroids, cool! Shipped! 

On top of that, I'm sure that you would contend that the Jennison letter is real..... so if art assets take so long at CIG then why are you wondering why it's taking so long? 

Then you go on to talk about 64-bit and how it isn't done and how it's a massive issue. 

So, basically, there is all this talk about how they haven't made any progress, but you go on to describe areas which are still being addressed. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that planetscape, stations, multiplayer, etc. have been added in. 

Just saying, everything here is quite contradictory. If you really want to make an intelligent argument, I wouldn't put all my eggs into the "they haven't made any progress since 2012" argument. 
    Nah I wasnt talking about the video I was taking about what they have that will actually turn into an MMO. You can cite multiplayer, and artwork and all that you like it still doesnt even have a persistence to it yet. The stuff that has changed is basically the cheapest and easiest stuff there is to do. At least on the scale they have done it which is basically smaller than what all the 'survival' games have done with less time and A LOT less money.

The point about 64 is the crux of the major issues this game had when it was announced. It was and still is the perfect example of Chris Roberts most fatal flaw, over reaching. The irony is they had 'only' raised about 50 million when he claimed it could be done. They have more than doubled that, (allegedly) gotten the guys who helped build the engine to teach people, and have had 2 years to produce something, anything that shows theyre truly able to utilize 64 bit the way they claimed and the way people think it will.

Of course lack of evidence isnt proof of non existence but in this case it probably is because they show 20 and 30 seconds shots of crap that they THINK people will get excited about all the time. But the SINGLE most important stumbling block this game has is all claims and conjecture. As the old saying goes 'wish in one hand shit in the other'.

Ahhhh, ok. Sorry, I thought you were saying that the gameplay video is indicative of what's currently playable. I tend to agree that there are technical issues which are difficult. I think that's one of the reasons that S42 is a priority right now. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Doesn't mean it won't be done. Just requires time. Simpler minds have solved the issue. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Haven't watched this myself but thought it rather appropriate, Scott Manley describes how 64 bit works in Kerbal and Star Citizen

His first statement says it all and why Erillion is wrong, and why I always preface my 64 bit comments with "AS THEY INTENDED IT TO BE". Because theyre trying to 'cheat' the way everyone claims it has to  be done.

But even he ASSUMES this is what SC is going to de because despite everything he said (that was mostly accurate) he still doesnt know how SC is actually going to do it or even if they have. Although he speaks like he assumes they have it done.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Thank you for that link.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kefo said:

Jesus I must have hit a nerve or something. I asked for proof, not to be buried under a mountain of links and most of which have nothing to do with what I asked for. At least you did what I asked but almost not worth it since I had to dig through the garbage to find the one nugget I wanted.

Yes I do mean James Hicks. The guy who said that if they did solve the 64 bit problem they open themselves up to even more problems. The same one who says how Derek Smart was the one who solved the problems CIG is having back in the 90's or is wondering why Braben isn't saying anything about the subject. How about how he says

"CIG, from an outsider’s perspective, appears to have failed comprehensively on both fronts (64bits in June 2015 reads like a miss, and apparently Smart offered them help at the outset and was ignored — also a miss), but the company has now paid for that failure by doing everything itself. "

A general take away from that article is that Hicks is more criticizing CIG then praising them.

On a side note you do know you can say Derek's name right? Hicks seems quite fine with giving praise to Derek but yet to you he might as well be Krampus.

Lol, when he says it was "a miss" does he mean a mistake. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Derek's past, but he's been quite helpful to other companies. Try googling David Allen and Quest Online and maybe you can gain some insight into how he helped David. Just saying..... You know how there are some people who you should just steer clear of, regardless of what they might know or not know? Yeah, he's one. Honestly, I don't blame them for avoiding taking advice from DS. 

You'd be right except in the same paragraph right beside the Derek smart comment he is saying that the June 2015 announcement of 64bit reads as a miss. He's not saying it was a good thing they ignored Derek, he's saying it was a bad thing. 

Besides you are getting into crazy territory with that comment. Asking for Derek's help doesn't mean he can suddenly take over the company. Chris would have to sign ownership over to him and I seriously doubt he would do that. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    OK After this discussion I ate the pie like everyone else and sat back quietly.  Untill I saw this  which was the kickstarter original video which claims the animations are from the game engine and not a cinematic trailer.

Are you onto something or just on something?