Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What PVE sandpark/sandbox MMO was a user on here talking about?

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Axehilt said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Gankers seem to be the most vocals online and that seems to make developers think that's what all the pvp players want aka "freedom" to do anything without consequences.
    Well yeah they're vocal, but what makes you think developers think that's all PVP players want?  The majority of PVPing happens in games without ganking.
    Well it's not like any of the open world games that released in the past years had any good penalties for ganking thus far promoting it indirectly.

I didn't say people that pvp only gank.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    edited May 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    Well it's not like any of the open world games that released in the past years had any good penalties for ganking thus far promoting it indirectly.

I've been playing the crap out of Don't Starve Together (open world survival). I choose PVE-flagged servers and ganking can't happen.  The most that can be done is griefing (setting fire to things) which does happen but is somewhat rare.

Keep in mind the vast majority of PVP doesn't happen in open world games, so basing your assumptions on those games is a little weird.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Axehilt said:
    Bloodaxes said:

I've been playing the crap out of Don't Starve Together (open world survival). I choose PVE-flagged servers and ganking can't happen.  The most that can be done is griefing (setting fire to things) which does happen but is somewhat rare.

Keep in mind the vast majority of PVP doesn't happen in open world games, so basing your assumptions on those games is a little weird.
    Had no idea don't starve together could be played with random people.

Interesting.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Axehilt said:
    It's interesting how much Consequences change that notion.

Fortunately, most game developers are too lazy for consequences, "just let the little bastards PK each other, it's all they want."
    What game do you feel lacks consequences?  To be a game, decisions must exist.  Once decisions exist, consequences are their inevitable outcome.  So all games have consequences.

The decision/consequence set isn't always hard to master (Tic Tac Toe), but that's just bad game design.  
    When's the last time your fighter returned to town only to be greeted by an entire armed militia backing a sheriff and his men? Arrested, throw into a dank jail cell to rot?

When's the last time you got old, slowed down, were unable to continue because of accumulating injuries and scars?

When's the last time your "army" had you tossed in the brig for deserting your post and sneaking across the lines without orders (again)? Conducting your own vigilante war? Murdering some innocent civilians? No military justice in your "army"? No discipline whatsoever?

No consequences, no penalties, no realism. Just anarchy lite, mindless 8-bit arcade violence for men who don't think about their game worlds very much.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Fallen Earth? 
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Kyleran said:
    It doesn't currently exist.  There are a couple of indie /KS titles that might show promise, around 2018 or 19 perhaps.
    pretty much this
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Dullahan said:
    You might enjoy Project Gorgon. Haven't played it myself personally because I've been biding my time while they get more of the game finished and polished. Its currently in open test phase and very playable. I've heard nothing but good things outside of the fact that development is slow going.
    What he said.  It is very different, but in a good way.  Small development team but they keep in touch with their player base and let them know what they are planning.  Should give it a look.

Has a really old school feel, the graphics are a little sub par but the things you can do make up for it.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I'm waiting for Gorgon to go on Steam (it was supposed to by now, but guess it got delayed). But that is high on the list of MMOs I'm watching.

Till then, I went back to playing Guild Wars 2. Its at least not the typical themepark, and its a lot of fun to play. It doesn't really have quests, and you are pretty free to do whatever.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited May 2016
    Wurm Online is a full fledge sandbox, you can play on a PVE server if you like but the PVP server is much more fun imo.
    When's the last time your fighter returned to town only to be greeted by an entire armed militia backing a sheriff and his men? Arrested, throw into a dank jail cell to rot?

When's the last time you got old, slowed down, were unable to continue because of accumulating injuries and scars?

When's the last time your "army" had you tossed in the brig for deserting your post and sneaking across the lines without orders (again)? Conducting your own vigilante war? Murdering some innocent civilians? No military justice in your "army"? No discipline whatsoever?

No consequences, no penalties, no realism. Just anarchy lite, mindless 8-bit arcade violence for men who don't think about their game worlds very much.
    "Here's an extremely narrow list of consequences that don't exist in games, so games have ZERO consequences" is not a rational argument.

Games have tons of consequences.  Every decision they offer involves consequences, big and small.  And they offer a lot of decisions.

A game has to choose what it's about, and typically games don't seek to simulate every nuance of real life (when they do, they end up doing everything very poorly, and the overall experience suffers.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Axehilt said:

"Here's an extremely narrow list of consequences that don't exist in games, so games have ZERO consequences" is not a rational argument.

Games have tons of consequences.  Every decision they offer involves consequences, big and small.  And they offer a lot of decisions.

A game has to choose what it's about, and typically games don't seek to simulate every nuance of real life (when they do, they end up doing everything very poorly, and the overall experience suffers.)
    So do you really not know that when he says "consequences" he's talking about game penalties for over-doing ganking to try to tone down its frequency or are you just pretending you don't understand?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Axehilt said:

Examples, please.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    carotid said:
    Axehilt said:

Examples, please.
    Respawn and run back when you lose? Turrible!

That penalty doesn't apply to ganking newbs sixty levels lower, of course.

For some reason, the most psychopathic and antisocial behaviors don't seem to have any consequences at all.

Ban? Force me to log in with a new account? Turrible!

Anarchy for Lightweights. Seems to be what PVP titles "choose to be about," and the only item on the sandbox menu. Anything else is an "infringement of mah phreedums."
    edited May 2016
    carotid said:
    Examples, please.
    Every decision has a consequence.
    • Engage a mob too close to another mob and the consequence is more mobs attacking.
    • Use ability A instead of ability B and the consequence is you'll do less DPS.
    • Spend your time grinding mobs instead of questing and the consequence is you're advance slightly slower.
    • Spend your time in town socializing and the consequence is you'll make some friends but not advance at all.
    Now you: name a single decision which lacks consequence. (hint: you can't. Decisions by their nature involve consequence.)

• MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I'm waiting on Linkrealms to be released on Steam this month. It'll have a PvE server and is sandbox.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    kairel182 said:
    Everything is the same and these 'consequences' are absolutely the most brain dead basic nuances of not only everything but every game in existence.
    Go easy on him, stating the obvious is all he's got.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

kairel182 said:
    I have to say without a doubt that this list is the most retarded things I've read in a while.  It's like saying buying an ice cream cone has the consequences of it being unhealthy for you when you completely ignore the fact that ice cream is the ONLY fucking option available to eat.

Everything is the same and these 'consequences' are absolutely the most brain dead basic nuances of not only everything but every game in existence.
    Perhaps before responding you should take some time to think and post something rational.

Your example is a decision.  Knowing ice cream cones aren't terribly healthy, you can either decide to eat one or not.  Neither decision magically escapes consequence.  If you eat one, you'll have consumed something unhealthy but you'll probably enjoy it a lot while eating it.  If you don't, then basically the opposite happens.

They don't magically stop being consequences just because you want to call somebody retarded on the internet.  So you're just being wrong.

Sure they are consequences, but they are the most banal things that exist at the most simple level. They are not all that meaningful in their nature because fundamentally those consequences carry next to no weight or impact to the player.

A "game of consequences" is one where the actions you take have much more of both discrete and broad repercussions that means more than whether or not a number is a little bigger or gain xp. It's about creating events as a cause of actions.

As it applied to what they said before, the focus seems to be on meaningful consequences in PvP and the world for how players are treated. Like making it so there is a semblance of authority there to enforce civility through giving actions of unnecessary violence repercussions.

Seriously, not hard to wrap your head around this kinda stuff.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Axehilt said:
    carotid said:
    Examples, please.
    • Engage a mob too close to another mob and the consequence is more mobs attacking.
    • Spend your time grinding mobs instead of questing and the consequence is you're advance slightly slower.
    • Spend your time in town socializing and the consequence is you'll make some friends but not advance at all.
    Now you: name a single decision which lacks consequence. (hint: you can't. Decisions by their nature involve consequence.)
    I wanted you to list consequences. Your list consists of reasons that will slow down your character advancement progress.
    carotid said:
    I wanted you to list consequences. Your list consists of reasons that will slow down your character advancement progress.
    All decisions have a consequence and I listed decision-consequence pairs for you.  This isn't really that complicated to understand.

Here, this should help you: consequence.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Torval said:
    filmoret said:
    For some reason sandbox and ffa pvp means the same thing.
    Freedom and Sandbox go hand and hand.  It's not an illogical step.
    If you and three other kids are playing in the sandbox at recess and you throw sand in their eyes, there will be consequences. Of course our typical mmo discourse dictates that we discuss things on the most absurd and overly simplistic level as possible. Please carry on with all things trite.
    There is a huge difference between experiencing consequences for throwing sand in another kid's eyes and a magical invisible barrier that prevents you from throwing sand in the first place.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Using the "sandbox" analogy, little Billy is free to make whatever he wishes in the sandbox , but he isnt free to kill all the other children that are in the sandbox with him.

Oh, little Billy is free to kill alright, its the consequence of that act that is missing in non consensual OWPvP games. I doubt many would have a problem if once a player made the conscious decision to kill another player, once caught, that player would be sentenced and banned from the game for 10 to twelve years or more.  The act isn't whats missing, the penalty is.  

Most pro-OWPvP are always quick to define a sandbox as being able to freely do whatever they want, including killing another.  That rationalization, however, ceases at the point of consequences.  They want to freely kill in a sandbox, they do not, however, want to pay the consequences of that act in a sandbox.  In other words, as far as they're concerned, the act defines a sandbox, the consequences of that act, however, do not.  

Here's how it works in the game I play:

https://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/7/31386

Try it for a month and then tell me how much 300 million credits is.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Axehilt said:
    carotid said:
    Examples, please.

your list is wrong.  Well wrong for everyone.  Consequence almost always carries a suggestion of something potentially or actually negative. The last two on your list might be personal negatives but not universal negatives.  What you have listed are actually outcomes.  Which is just a factual result from an action carrying no negative or positive.
    Re: @Antiquated ;

I've seen entire tides of wars change over something as simple as a newbie-kill.  Games can mirror real life in this regard; recall WW1?

There are dazzling layers of complexity that can occur not just from game systems but player organization in OWPvP with consequence.  Calling it "mindless 8-bit arcade violence" is as much of an oversimplification as @Torval suggests proponents of OWPvP oversimplify 'systems with guard rails'.

Axehilt said:
    carotid said:
    All decisions have a consequence and I listed decision-consequence pairs for you.  This isn't really that complicated to understand.

Here, this should help you: consequence.
    That's about as handy as me linking this.

It's useless information and it's the most trivialized concept of what consequences are or can be, as other's have clearly pointed out to you.