Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one of the many reasons its so laggy here and how to get rid of it.

alex007152alex007152 Member Posts: 178

its the SPAM forum, i dont really see the point of it. People usualy spam when its not allowed, for them thats the fun of it. i think that the spam forum should stay BUT all those pages full of spam are not used, make something that deletes all the useless spam crap on page 25 or something.
i think it would help a little bit, but this can also be used in other forums, if a thread hasen't used for like 2 years, whats the point of it? (im not talking about sticky's, anouncements, etc).

so if the owners of mmorpg.com would make such a thread eater that destroys every thread that comes on page 50 or 100, there would be less lagg.

tell me what you think of this idea.

~Alex007152~

Comments

• ClaudeFRClaudeFR Member Posts: 376

The real problem is this:

Members Online:
    Guests Online:

This is the number when i just had
    "The site is curr. under maint.", cookie errors and empty, reloading pages etc etc.

With not even 500 users online, the site should definatly not perform that bad.
    I have a commercial site running with constantly 500-800 concurrent users on it (a big community site in Europe).

The server behaviour here is making me think, the code isnt optimized at all, the servers aren tweaked at all.

I think no thread should be thinned out for the sake of a poor site performance, thats not curing the cause.

The server and the site code (Cold Fusion isnt really good for such site) need a major optimizing.

The MMORPG support told me, they bought 3 new servers with a loadbalancing mechanism, which will be online soon®.

Such setup should handle, considering the surfstrategy here, 2000 concurrent users easily.

Claude

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

The site was not built with its current size in mind. The numbers you quote are from the middle of the night. Normally, during the day, we're up above 1000 total, at least according to that stat tracker.

As you said, we've invested in new hardware, but again, the site was not built to exist over multiple machines. That is the reason it has taken so long. The word is 'any day now', so hopefully everyone can stick with us for a while longer while we sort this out.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I talked to Craig about it alittle via IM the other day here. From the sound of it he has some real solid upgrades planned any day now that should perk things up alot.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ClaudeFRClaudeFR Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Lepidus
    The site was not built with its current size in mind. The numbers you quote are from the middle of the night. Normally, during the day, we're up above 1000 total, at least according to that stat tracker.As you said, we've invested in new hardware, but again, the site was not built to exist over multiple machines. That is the reason it has taken so long. The word is 'any day now', so hopefully everyone can stick with us for a while longer while we sort this out.

Thank you for your reply, Dana.

But unfortunatly my previous posting was misunderstood ? Maybe its because english isnt my native language, so i try again:

I said, the numbers ive posted were taken by me EXACTLY the moment i had much of the laggy/weired/timeout/maint.message behaviour here.

I said this to show that the site is even performing bad when "only" 481 users on it, which should not put a server into stress like it does here, considering a good configured environment.

I mentioned this to show, that the problems are obv. "housemade" by the coding/server tweaking itself, BECAUSE its going down with only 500 peeps already.

I mentioned it to show, that the new servers will not help THAT much without tweaking the code/servers massivly.

This wasnt meant offensive, it was meant constructive.

Claude

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Hello,

No offense taken. The point I tried to make - although not terribly well - was that to go with the new servers, they're re-writing much of the ancient code that makes this thing tick.

Dana

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios