Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Story

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
I'm looking for a single player game  with a story that gives real options that actually affect the outcome. Any topic or genre is fine.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Oregon Trail.  One of my favorites.
    Haroo!
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    All of the Witcher games are like that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Witcher is perfect yes, the best game in year for that particular type of gameplay. There is the Mass effect games but the story kinda grows thinner (quality wise, not quantity) for each game...
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    That's good news because I still haven't played Witcher 3 though I picked it up at launch. I also think I got Mass Effect and ME2 during a Steam sale and haven't played either of those.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Since any genre is fine, I'd mention Bloodlines next to Witcher, it has awesome story with lots of choices and endings / outcomes. And it's on gog now :wink: 
    However, in this kinda playstyle my favourite is still Shadow of Memories. I praised it not long ago in an another similar thread, so I won't recite it all again, just drop the title here.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I thought that Age of Conan had a pretty cool storyline.. grinding through quests is typically done solo..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

@Po_gg ;I have Bloodlines but haven't played that either. I picked up a few games on sale on Steam. I usually keep a list and when the game is on sale for around $5 I pick it up. I have a huge backlog now, so it looks like I should get to it.

@Gorwe I've played and enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. I think I still have PS:T around somewhere on a CD. What is ID?

@Sid_Vicious I played AoC and had a max level char a long time ago. I remember running mansions so many times.... But yes, it did have some cool story elements.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Subjective question... Gothic series is pretty good. I'm not sure how tied in they are but the series continues under the title: Risen.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Loke666 said:
    Witcher is perfect yes, the best game in year for that particular type of gameplay. There is the Mass effect games but the story kinda grows thinner (quality wise, not quantity) for each game...
    Ah yea its been so long I forgot about Mass Effect.  Dragon Age series deserves a mention along with Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, Dishonored...  yea there's a lot more to that list.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Would say any of the games already mentioned are great I own pretty much all of them myself and still play some of them today. 

The older elder scrolls games where right up your ally.  Morrowwind was one of my favorites, can get it really cheap today and has tons of mods you can get.  Oblivion was OK, but Skyrim was better in IMO.

The fallout series is also another good alternative.
    Looks like I've got all of them except Icewind Dale. Looks like I did good with the Steam sales. Thanks for your input everyone.

Morrowind is still my all-time favorite game ever.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Donkey Kong has as story. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The Dragon Age games have what you are looking for also
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    filmoret said:
    Loke666 said:
    Ah yea its been so long I forgot about Mass Effect.  Dragon Age series deserves a mention along with Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, Dishonored...  yea there's a lot more to that list.
    ES are great for their freedom but the story is just ok, not great. As for mentioning ME instead of DA I kinda feel that serie had a better story, at least the first 2 games. Or really, my problem with Dragonage is that most of the npcs are an annoying bunch of whiners, there are enough of those in MMOs. Never tried Dishonored.

NWN and Baldurs gate have neither aged with dignity, same thing with KOTOR. ME works better, even the first game have aged better then the others. There is a new Planescape project in the works, Torment were great when it released.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    Right now I'm loving those aspects in Pillars of Eternity, there's also Divinity OS, as well as Wasteland 2. I find the Story telling in these games to be better than The Witcher, Dragon Age, as well as ME franchises. Especially where choice is concerned.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    k61977 said:
    Would say any of the games already mentioned are great I own pretty much all of them myself and still play some of them today. 

The older elder scrolls games where right up your ally.  Morrowwind was one of my favorites, can get it really cheap today and has tons of mods you can get.  Oblivion was OK, but Skyrim was better in IMO.

The fallout series is also another good alternative.
    Morrowind and Oblivion had a pretty good story, however skyrim's story was actually garbage, as was fallout 4's story too. Bethesda has totally ditched good stories, for making their games more sandboxy action games, and less thought out RPG games.
    waynejr2 said:
    Donkey Kong has as story. 
    True. The story was amazing. Probably the only story that ever brought me to the point of actual tears.

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I thought that Age of Conan had a pretty cool storyline.. grinding through quests is typically done solo..
    I'm curious what's Age of Conan story like, never played it before. Hopefully not 'you're the destined hero to save the world from the evil force of badness like everyone who did it before, everyone who's doing it right now and everyone who will be doing it later' type of story.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited May 2016
    lufiaz said:
    I'm curious what's Age of Conan story like, never played it before. Hopefully not 'you're the destined hero to save the world from the evil force of badness like everyone who did it before, everyone who's doing it right now and everyone who will be doing it later' type of story.
    Well to be honest I felt that overall having the same storyline as everyone else is kind of lame in that game..  for example.... it starts out that you have a tattoo that is special but you don't know what it means.. but everyone has this same tattoo so this is just the lame PVE part of the game. So I can look past this flaw . .. and ignore the fact that everyones quest if for them personally... which encourages solo PVE..

When it comes to MMORPGs I like group PVE quests if I am forced to have to PVE to get to PVP.. and let me explain how AoC do with that:

I guess I just liked how the storyline was simple enough to follow along at a fast pace without making your teammates wait for you while you tried to catch up to the story. It felt a little more adult oriented too. I like the idea of 'harsh reality' in the fantasy setting.. cool stuff... everyone should know in real life that there is no 'fantasy' and that war basically comes down to ruthlessness pillaging and rape, etc. I like to see fantasy that is not so 'kiddie'

The best way to put it simply.. it was more adult oriented and your teammates dont have to wait for you much.

If you want a unique personalized storyline where your story is totally different than everyone else than I recommend something that enforced PVP on everyone and get involved with the community. PVE just simply doesn't do it as well.. in MMORPG its about interaction.... and having a PVP storyline feels more important than a PVE storyline because other people are forced to witness it.

For example... in tortage Underhalls (first dungeon) I had a twink at max possible level by the name of lezbow that I would 'roleplay' with. She was out to kill every man that she could and try to help the women... since they tended to group with each other, she would get jealous and kill them all... hahaha.. was so much fun I cannot even put it into words. Sometimes I'd wipe out all of the men and then chase the women out of the dungeon crying "will you be my girlfriend??" but AoC actually punished me and made me change my name.. lame... at least I know that there will always be a handful of other people who will always remember that experience.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    lufiaz said:
    Well to be honest I felt that overall having the same storyline as everyone else is kind of lame in that game..  for example.... it starts out that you have a tattoo that is special but you don't know what it means.. but everyone has this same tattoo so this is just the lame PVE part of the game.
    Actually not that special, kinda generic "tattoo" simply the others on the ship didn't make it - but there are always a new ships sinking near Tortage every minute, so the there's a constant flow of Marked ones :wink:

@lufiaz the "everyone before and also everyone after you" part is there, since it's an mmo (and I'm sure that's why @d_20 is seeking for single player games specifically, AoC's place here is quite off-topic), but not the chosen one part, neither the world saving.
    It's quite a decent story, fairly good writing, some cool NPCs and sidestories, few of them got books themselves (not kidding, http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Wolves-Conan-Hyborian-Adventures/dp/0441012922  :wink: ), but nothing really extra, mmo-wise.
    What's unique is Tortage's day/night system, where you can play single-mode. Back in the days it was a novum ("single play in an mmo, what?"), now it's quasi-default :lol: True, not on a toggle, that's still pretty unique.

The single player section is nicely written, the 4 archetypes have different parts, which kinda mixing into one storyline, it's cool to play all 4 to see (and combine) the events... but beyond that, it's what you wrote, tons of shipwrecked slaves, all trying to find their former selves, and all end up in the Onyx Chamber...