Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was George Lucas "Star Wars" influenced heavily by J.R.R Tolkiens writings.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
While I am not sure how much George Lucas was influenced by J.R.R Tolkien.  I believe he was somewhat inspired.  While I have read many articles saying Lucas was.  The only empirical evidence I found was this.

Still, Kenobi brings with him a new element to the script: comedy. Luke is attacked by Tusken raiders just before he meets Ben; they leave him handcuffed to a giant spinning wheel. Kenobi approaches with a “good morning!”

“What do you mean, ‘good morning’?” Luke responds. “Do you mean that it is a good morning for you, or do you wish me a good morning, although it is obvious I’m not having one, or do you find that mornings in general are good?”

“All of them at once,” replies Kenobi.

"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat. "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is morning to be good on?"

"All of them at once," said Bilbo."

How much of a influence do you believe Tolkien have on Lucas?

Comments