Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about hackers that aren't idiots?

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
I don't want to add too much to the fire here, but I'm curious what you guys think about hackers that aren't idiots.

So far we've all been talking about hackers that blatently go up in your face in god-mode and kill you, literally screaming "I am a hacker".

But what about the hackers that don't do that?  How much faster can they blow through the grind and upgrade that much faster than legit players?

It seems to me a smart hacker would do all their hacking in PVE and then come and own you "legit" with their overpowered gear.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hackers that aren't idiots?

good luck finding one of those!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    depends on how good if any data analysis tools the game has hooked up. If it is good enough it can track things that go beyond human skills and flag that for a CSR to look in to. 

Either way most hackers slip up sooner or later, or just get bored and move on. 

This have been a good conversation

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    @OP this has always been a problem and why it has been so tough to stop hacking.It takes a LONG time to narrow down the cheats that are not in your face,sold and in the public's eye.

The problem is and ALWAYS will be server side versus client side and no game is going to nor can it run 100% client side nor can it constantly check client side files.

SO what is the answer??Well as already witnessed a developer would have to RISK utilizing lawyers and try to convince a judge that the cheating hacking has cost them money allowing for lawsuits that would deter the cheats.Also ACTIVE/proactive GM's instead of LAZY reaction GM's goes a long way to deter cheats,especially if you ban their account within a day or two making it a costly endeavor to cheat and reboot a new account.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    As in any game, those that hack "responsibly" will in all likelihood remain undetected forever.

The trick is to remain merely "above average" in your progress/results. The moment you start looking "godly" is when the axe falls. Not many players have the required patience and restraint though. Thankfully ! :D 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    tawess said:
    depends on how good if any data analysis tools the game has hooked up. If it is good enough it can track things that go beyond human skills and flag that for a CSR to look in to. 

That's my point though.  By putting the onus on players to record and submit recordings of hackers for review for ban, it implies they have no data analysis tools to find hackers.  Otherwise they'd just use those tools to ban them and not need to involve the community.

Believe me, I find it crazy that this is true but it seems to be (and it's not unique to BDO either, it seems most games do not have the capability to trace gamebreaking behavior)..

So my question is- how can the player initiative work if hackers are actually careful and don't hack when other people they don't trust are around?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2016
    tawess said:

That's my point though.  By putting the onus on players to record and submit recordings of hackers for review for ban, it implies they have no data analysis tools to find hackers.  Otherwise they'd just use those tools to ban them and not need to involve the community.

Believe me, I find it crazy that this is true but it seems to be (and it's not unique to BDO either, it seems most games do not have the capability to trace gamebreaking behavior)..

So my question is- how can the player initiative work if hackers are actually careful and don't hack when other people they don't trust are around?

It is strange. I know in Elite they require proof when people log off during combat to avoid getting their spaceship blown up but seeing the player to player instances are peer-to-peer and it's a specific type of activity being exploited it's understandable to ask for proof, which we know they then verify via server logs etc.

To have so many things exploitable in a server->client model and require player reporting/proof for all? of these things is a bit worrying.

Hopefully they can get on top of it asap.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2016
    I see those programs all over Youtube.  Someone who uses just a radar program to find or avoid other players in PvP would probably be the hardest to catch.  Also botters who just sit there and watch the program level for them could just stop the program and do natural looking stuff until they're alone again.  WoW hated cheaters so much they would buy the software and run it to find new ways to detect it as well as sue the makers.  As once mentioned in a WoW forum, cheating forums give detailed information on what's being use and how many people are actually getting caught using their programs.  

Few companies would put the kind of energy into stopping cheaters that WoW did and yet they still had thousands of cheaters.  Good luck with BD.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I don't want to add too much to the fire here, but I'm curious what you guys think about hackers that aren't idiots.

So far we've all been talking about hackers that blatently go up in your face in god-mode and kill you, literally screaming "I am a hacker".

But what about the hackers that don't do that?  How much faster can they blow through the grind and upgrade that much faster than legit players?

It seems to me a smart hacker would do all their hacking in PVE and then come and own you "legit" with their overpowered gear.
    Its the same problems FPS have, the guys who hide it well and look like " good players " when they really arnt are the ones that never get caught.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    And what about idiots that aren't hackers?  :angry: 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    What about idiots that aren't hackers? :p
    Don't worry about that, lol, the chances of being banned for being and idiot are vanishingly small ! :D :D
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    tawess said:

That's my point though.  By putting the onus on players to record and submit recordings of hackers for review for ban, it implies they have no data analysis tools to find hackers.  
    I don't think it implies that. I do think it implies that they have a lot of data to sift through and its' more "immediate" to look at what could be "actual" cheaters.

Players seem to think that there are "smoking guns" to solve the cheating problem but I suspect that there are just many tools in their arsenal.

It's like the posts where someone says "just put a gm on chat and every time there is a gold seller ban them. Why don't they do that it would solve their problem".

That won't solve anything. that's what? a handful of gold sellers among hundreds or more? Now, I'm all for having in game gm's that monitor chat but that's not about solving cheaters/gold sellers. That's about PR.

It shows that the game company is being vigilant. This actually doesn't negate that game companies ARE being vigilant by using other tactics that flag thousands of cheaters/gold sellers but players don't see that. All they see is chat and they think that nothing is being done.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    Sovrath said:
    tawess said:

That's my point though.  By putting the onus on players to record and submit recordings of hackers for review for ban, it implies they have no data analysis tools to find hackers.  
    I don't think it implies that. I do think it implies that they have a lot of data to sift through and its' more "immediate" to look at what could be "actual" cheaters.

Players seem to think that there are "smoking guns" to solve the cheating problem but I suspect that there are just many tools in their arsenal.

It's like the posts where someone says "just put a gm on chat and every time there is a gold seller ban them. Why don't they do that it would solve their problem".

That won't solve anything. that's what? a handful of gold sellers among hundreds or more? Now, I'm all for having in game gm's that monitor chat but that's not about solving cheaters/gold sellers. That's about PR.

It shows that the game company is being vigilant. This actually doesn't negate that game companies ARE being vigilant by using other tactics that flag thousands of cheaters/gold sellers but players don't see that. All they see is chat and they think that nothing is being done.

It seems to me that the process should be automated.  The game should be able to check that someone went to full health without using items.

Whatever tools they have will have to be automated at this point considering how many videos the GM team is going to be going through.

Keep in mind I'm not saying this is exclusive to BDO, although the extent that hackers can interfere with your gameplay may be more significant than most MMOs since the game is based on OWPVP at endgame, not to mention I'm not aware of another MMO that has hp/mp on client side.

What's especially strange is that everyone that plays this and BnS literally has an additional program installed on their computer that logs all activity on the computer.  But apparently these programs are completely inept at doing anything, which further begs the question wtf are they doing on my computer logging all my activity?

It's really not a pretty picture.

Both Daum and NcSoft are big enough companies that they would easily be able to divert resources to do what Octagon7711 said Blizzard does in this thread.  Sure you'll never get rid of everything, but you should be able to get rid of the most obvious stuff at least.

The only reason they wouldn't is they perceive net losses from hacking are less than the cost of dealing with it.  That's a crappy attitude.  Say what you want about Blizzard but they care about their games.

Daum and NcSoft would do well to look at Blizzard's profits and how they treat their games and reflect on their own portfolios.

I think these companies are too greedy.  It reminds me of a recent topic I made on BnS reddit suggesting that hongmoon skills be unlocked for Arena to promote "true equalized PVP".  NcSoft actually made a reply, but their answer was, "The real question is do you think serious PVPers would be interested in having these skills in the cash shop?"

Tons of threads about bots and hackers and the one they choose to respond to is mine, only to ask if we think they could sell new stuff in the shop.

I do think Daum's player initiative is a good thing.  It is at least a response.  My point in this thread is just asking how much will it really do.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    When I was a teenager I always loved using exploits on games... about that:

1) It ruins the game.... like using drugs, it's amazing at first, then it just starts to suck.
    2) After using it, you feel like you can't live without it. You usually feel naked when you don't have the cheat but you know other people are using it.
    3) Never, ever do anything obvious.  Offensive cheating is a bad idea, defensive cheating is a lot more productive.
    4) Agree with people who call you a hacker and mock them, yeah... I'm hacking LOL if that makes you feel better about yourself l2play n00bz0r.
    5) I never got caught because I was always vigilant about who was online and what they were in to.  If I've never seen a guy before, there's no way I'd ever do anything close to looking like a hack.

So anyway, yes there are hackers that aren't idiots.  Many games actually tolerate these people.  On the game I hacked while playing for 7 years I used to give my exploits to the player GMs in exchange for being overlooked.

Anyhow, that's been more than 8 years.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    DMKano said:
    The best exploiters are virtually undetectable. 

And this goes for any game not only Black Desert. 

Your average exploiter is using a 3rd party tool, the ones that build their own tools and don't share them with anyone are the ones that you never catch. 

Good thing they are a tiny minority 
    Building your own tool doesn't make you undetectable by itself.  The flagrantly obvious hackers aren't obvious because of where they got the tools.  Now if you build your own tools and only use them to make yourself 10% stronger, that's much harder to catch.