Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Static NPC’s Bother You?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDo Static NPC’s Bother You?

“Hasn’t he been standing here since the game launched?” My brother asked. It turns out this particular NPC had and I then had to explain that as a starting area, many of the non-player characters were static or had fixed routes around set locations.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReaderXReaderX Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2016
    I feel like they are an acceptable limitation and don't necessarily interrupt the verisimilitude.

There is an 'allowable' amount of behaviors in a game that while not realistic, are not sufficient in destroying immersion. I've ruminated on the topic for a very long time and decided that ultimately games need these exemptions in order to still remain games instead of becoming simulations.

One of the examples that have messed with me recently is in some games, particularly mobas, when a character has a projectile skill-shot. Usually the animation has the attack fly out and then when it reaches it's ultimate distance, it immediately and unceremoniously disappears. This really gets me. Or in Paragon where physical ranged attacks like Sparrow's arrows can only travel X distance before poofing into the aether.

I meant to add one last point. NPC's repeating a task day in and out isn't completely unrealistic. Our culture is largely one where people who have jobs are generally required to perform the same tasks most days of the week. That being said it's not the same as these NPC's literally doing nothing else. But most of them do break to go to "sleep" in the evenings, which is a part of their routine I appreciate and helps to cultivate a since of believability. For example, when it's the middle of the night and you have to turn in a quest or stow your horsey but the NPC is missing and where his person stood instead stands a sign saying "Sleeping BBL".
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited May 2016
    I was actually thinking this yesterday while chopping wood at Epheria in front of the storage dude who is making the same movements over and over. I end up turning my sound down too because they repeat the same thing over and over. I think most of the npcs in BDO do a good job at creating the illusion of a living world. They are only meant to be noticed in passing, not studied. MMO's are not meant for people watching. They create enough ambience in the world for me, until we have cpus that can handle it better I don't think we need a ton of npc's with unscripted AI.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • delakdelak Member UncommonPosts: 25
    It is one of the biggest problems I have with mmorpg's.... to me it takes part of the the RPG element out of the game. I had high hopes for games like Guild Wars 2 and EQ Next that talk about smart AI, especially EQ Next with the emergent AI system. With this day and age of computer power and knowledge of AI, static NPCs in mmorpgs should be a thing of the past and I know for me it is one of the factors keeping me away from some MMO's like Black Desert.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I like this article and I've thought about this subject quite a bit. There are a ton of things developers could do to add some 'life' to NPC's. It would be nice if they moved around a bit more. If they're shop owners it would be nice to see them moving about stocking shelves and what not. Naturally they would stop whatever it is they're doing and help you when you need to buy/sell/repair etc. While it can add to the immersion factor, having shops close at night can get annoying. Maybe the could rotate in the 'night shift' NPC's. Also seeing town guards rotate in 'fresh' soldiers every so often would be neat.

So yes it would be nice to add some life to NPC's, but not at the expense of logistics. If I have to run around to find a basic General Good vendor I would get annoyed quickly.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Since first getting into gaming back in the early 80's and since getting into online gaming specifically the lack of advancement in AI and even simple mechanics to give the illusion of AI is really behind the curve imo. 

I used to imagine NPC's being designed to have basic functions worked out by now such as working out where to sleep, where to eat, where to pass free time, who they know. Forget the more advances stuff like knowing friend from foe, hunting patterns, migration from town to town, improving their home and town, births & deaths, inter rivalries....

The fact that it is 35 years since I started gaming and we still don't have games with NPC's that even move let alone do anything else....yeah very disappointing. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    If some are static no, if all are static yes
  • GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137
    edited May 2016
    It depends. If their loop is long enough then no, it's not a problem. However Arenanet and Daum both made the same mistake. They put a very vocal NPC on a short loop near locations that players are apt to linger.

Since this article is within the context of BDO I think we all know that NPC.

"Do it BETTER!"

"AUGH, you suck!"

Now you know it.

If an NPC is going to be static then it probably shouldn't be vocal. And if it's vocal it shouldn't be on a 3 minute loop with some of the most aggrivating vocal work ever. And if it is, don't put it next to the fracking BANK! >.<

Not just another pretty color.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Not at all. I much prefer static NPCs to one's that have short pathing.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Greyed said:
    It depends. If their loop is long enough then no, it's not a problem. However Arenanet and Daum both made the same mistake. They put a very vocal NPC on a short loop near locations that players are apt to linger.

Since this article is within the context of BDO I think we all know that NPC.

"Do it BETTER!"

"AUGH, you suck!"

Now you know it.

If an NPC is going to be static then it probably shouldn't be vocal. And if it's vocal it shouldn't be on a 3 minute loop with some of the most aggrivating vocal work ever. And if it is, don't put it next to the fracking BANK! >.<
    That fucking small chick shouting at the giant really is frustrating! I mute the game if I'm going to afk there.

Keeping with the context of BDO, I've also seen people complaining because certain npcs go away during the night and they had to wait until morning to talk to them.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    no it doesn't bother me. I'd rather them be more like "people" and have their routines but I'm unsure if that's possible given all the npc's. And is it desirable?

If some people are "bothered" by static npc's you can bet there are going to be more people bothered by npc's they can't find. Unless of course there is some sort of gps on them.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    It depends on the NPC. In the case of the game, it probably would be better to have NPCs 'swap' out or other things like that for important NPCs, and keep people moving around. It doesn't have to be all the time, but just having it happen every so often is important. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Honestly, it depends on how they are implemented.  Some games the static NPCs don't bother me and some do.  For instance, the NPCs in SWTOR bother me.  I can't put my finger on it, but it seems a bit forced when it comes to passing different NPCs.  Seems wooden and constant.

I self identify as a monkey.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    When I first started playing, maybe. But eventually I grew accustomed to it. That's just how MMOs work.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm used to it.

That's not to say that NPC AI is not the #1 most neglected issue in MMORPGs. Long overdue for creative solutions.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I was excited about Everquest Next because of how they were supposedly handling NPCs. How they had behaviors rather than scripts. 

Dah well.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I have no problem with this, but I wonder if any developer has considered randomizing the appearance of some NPCs occasionally to reflect a high turnover rate at a bank or whatever. Every time you go in, it's a new person asking how they can help you.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    No problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I think about that every time a log into an mmo and see them and it actually really bothers me because I feel like its a symptom of the larger problem with the genre. Developers don't push boundaries. It's like they have this generic checklist of 'things our mmo needs'.

They're all,"Yo bro, you got that #checklist?" and the other guy pulls it out like its the F-ing golden ticket from Charlie but it's just really a crayon craplist that reads? PVE=check, PVP=check, Crafting=sorta?

Launch time!

I would love to see an mmo where npc's had full anonymity but unfortunately I dont think we'll see that happen any time soon. That feature seems more fitting for a sandbox mmo and well, whatever happened to sandboxes anyways?

And why stop with regular npc's when it comes to anonymity? Wouldn't it something if faction leaders had it too? Forming peace treaties, alliances, waging war, capturing territories, etc. with players contributing all the way whether it be directly on the battlefields, diplomatically or via crafting supplies for the war effort, etc.

But at this point I would honestly be happy with scripted behavior that at least resembled anonymity. Something like Bethesda does with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Someone's immersed toes are gonna get stepped on.

If you have one world, were everything is possible and everything can be changed, you will have that guy who rides into Lowbietown and Noobville on his max level, decked out black knight and kill all the NPCs. Coz he can. No, actually, coz he knows he's griefing dozens of other players who needed those NPCs.

Ok, so then how about we give everyone their own "phase". Yea, go, ask ESO how THAT one worked out. Hint: *points at the smoking ruin that is ESO*.

So, either you limit how much people can interact with the world, or you give everyone their own world..., in a single player game.

Anything else will blow up in your face, unless your brand of immersion is sitting by yourself in a burning village, surrounded by NPC corpses, stuck in your progress, because everyone is dead.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I'd prefer it if daytime NPCs disappeared at night. In hubs there could be a couple of night time replacements. At least give them shifts.
  • qwerhelixqwerhelix Member UncommonPosts: 29
    its imposible. for a single player game, yeah maybe. but not for a mmo. making so many different things would cost billions. its like every npc would be different. its crazy. too much time to make it happen.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I prefer static NPCs. I'm not playing "Find Bjorn Online" I'm playing an MMORPG. It would just get in the way of what I personally want, which is easily accessible functions that these NPCs give. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    I liked Skyrim because, although they all had their own scripted patterns, they still had "pattern" of some sort. They moved around, went to work during the day and the city is booming, off to bed at night and there's not a soul except a few guards in town. It gives the game a degree of immersion that is believable even if it is repeated every day.

I have always hated the idea of static NPCs, even more so questing where all the players will do the same quests from the same static NPC. To me, these game studios cared more about creating an RPG with online elements, than developing a living breathing world. GW2 tried to address this partly, and failed. I've not played BDO but I based on this article it seems that they've at least tried to make some NPCs more alive, which to be fair can be pretty difficult to do, but at least they tried.

I'm not sure its ever going to happen in MMOs though...at least not for another 10 years.