Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lamentations of a Vanilla player

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
I wasted so much of my life in Zul Gurub.   Our guild wasn't that good, we couldn't finish BWL.  AQ was a joke, wasn't going to happen.  I may not have been better or worse than my guild, some people just can't stay out of the fire.  We never stepped foot in Naxx. My particular guild wasn't interested in it, but I loved pvp, I got the old fashioned Warlord tag on my hunter (a troll of course).  High Warlord required 6 additional months and a potential divorce so I decided to leave that one alone.  I also managed to get Lok'Delar, the epic hunter weapon which required an item from Azuregos the world dragon and another item from the chest of Majordomo, followed by a painstaking 2-3 day quest of hunting world quest spawns and proving mastery of the class.  I loved the theory crafting and I spent so much gold remaking my talent tree trying to make the perfect PVP build and the perfect PVE build.

They announced Burning Crusade, and it meant all my accomplishments were about to be vaporized.  I took this to heart and decided to walk away.  I don't know if my guild ever finished BWL, or if they ever got ZG on farm, I don't even remember what the guilds name is now.

Several years later, my wife decides she wants to play video games with me, and we buy the updates and log into WOTLK, right as Cata is being announced.  I made a DK and leveled it up and got to max and finished heroic instances right as Cata was ready to be installed and then played the entire Cata expansion with my wife.  From punting questers off the top of Mt. Hyjal into Ashenvale, to Hero of the Horde RBG Champion.

I wish I had seen BC, not just the drive by version I saw with my DK, I wish I had been able to do the pvp, and the really hard raids.

I keep seeing these posts talking about Vanilla server, private server, blah blah I'm not playing a private server.  Tell you what I wish for, and you tell me if it makes sense:

Set of Vanilla servers.. Blizzard is smart enough to know how many.. Set of BC servers... same,  set of WOTLK servers, so on, additional expansion servers.  If I make a guy in the Vanilla server, I can play there as long as I like, until I'm fulfilled with the game.  Once I make the choice. I can pay blizzard a fee to transfer to the BC server.  I could of course make a new character on the BC server without paying Blizzard I suppose, but if I want I can transfer there.  I can find fulfillment in BC and then pay again to move to WOTLK.   This would give players the opportunity to spend time with people actually interested in the expansion they're participating in.  Since players could move forward and never backwards, there would be no OP carry driving you through the instance.

I just see this as a way that Blizzard could get my account signed back up and start getting money out of my wallet again.  I'd play those old expansions and I'd love them. 

Comments

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Good idea!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    problem with multiple generations of legacy serers are the cost to maintain the code. For every generation you need to teach at least a few support people to be able to make sure it does not implode. Same goes for customer support. And customer support is very expensive compared to what it does. 

So we might get some sort of legacy server once they are done with expansions... but i have a hard time seeing multiple legacy types.

This have been a good conversation

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    tawess said:
    problem with multiple generations of legacy serers are the cost to maintain the code. For every generation you need to teach at least a few support people to be able to make sure it does not implode. Same goes for customer support. And customer support is very expensive compared to what it does. 

So we might get some sort of legacy server once they are done with expansions... but i have a hard time seeing multiple legacy types.
    I'm pretty sure cross training will come in somewhere
    Abuz0r said:
    I'm pretty sure cross training will come in somewhere
    You can only cross-train so much. Support staff would still need to be expanded upon... On both sides. 

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Why go through all of that only to discover that the change that matters is not what happened to the game, but to you as a player.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    A good idea however unless Blizz thought it would bring in enough profit to justify the additional cost, they are just going to invest their cash in a new mobile WOW game or something.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    We should hear something in the next few months what Blizzard plans to do because of the Nost team meeting with Blizzard on the Blizzard campus this week.  Add to that Mark Kern and Mke Morhaime will be meeting in the next few weeks.  I do know that Mark Kern is pushing to have at least Vanilla WOW and TBC because people want these versions of WOW.  Who knows how many other versions.  

I think a lot will depend on if Blizzard developers find the old code or they need to use an emulator.  
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    The only reason they need historic servers at all is because they turned a highly replayable game into a one shot pony thanks to overly streamlining the game and focusing on one linear corridor of a major storyline.  The original game had orcs, dragons, and scourge story arcs all packed into one game and told through the factions dealing with them.  They had a bunch of characters all over and there was no single super hero character doing all the heavy lifting.  Somehow, this all devolved into our character being the chosen godling or something. o o;
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    This was an idea I had when Nostalrius first went down.  Same as the OP.  Servers for each expansion and character transfers allowed going up through the expansions.  This would be an awesome idea for them to cash in on.  Allows anyone the ability to play ever iteration of the game at which ever expansion they want and the ability to work through all of them at their own pace.

Completely agree with the OP, this is the best idea for them, imo.  
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    So it's gone from...Please Blizz all we need is 1 vanilla server and you'll be swimming in cash from nostalgic vets, to....Please Blizz all we need is 9 different versions of the game that we can hop our characters between at will. 

By this time next week there will be calls for individual servers based on patch numbers.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    So it's gone from...Please Blizz all we need is 1 vanilla server and you'll be swimming in cash from nostalgic vets, to....Please Blizz all we need is 9 different versions of the game that we can hop our characters between at will. 

By this time next week there will be calls for individual servers based on patch numbers.
    Nah... I just want Purple Orcs

Get it straight.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited May 2016

Don't forget all the hackers and waves of bots knowing all the holes in a old Vanilla code. Then Blizzard will get blame for not fixing the code if they was nice to bring out a Vanilla Sever. I agree no one looks at the bad side for doing so.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

would have to agree that even if blizzard caved in, people would just want more and more like new content for old expansions.
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Don't forget all the hackers and waves of bots knowing all the holes in a old Vanilla code. Then Blizzard will get blame for not fixing the code if they was nice to bring out a Vanilla Sever. I agree no one looks at the bad side for doing so.
    Anything is better than the current pile of shit that is Wow.  However, according to the above folks, wow is just awesome as it is now.....right..
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited May 2016
    Cramit845 said:

Anything is better than the current pile of shit that is Wow.  However, according to the above folks, wow is just awesome as it is now.....right..
    I don't mind Blizzard making a Vanilla server. Vanilla was not that great in system then other being something new that time of date from other MMO. People do talk about social as aspect that the WoW we have now is lacking but they are MMO with social part that WoW use to have still not growing what people say that it would. This current WoW a lot hate it a lot do love it and Vanilla will only bring in the people in the short term as is telling someone, there is endgame but there is no update being added so people slowly will quit. Meaning Vanilla it self have no future.

The problem with WoW a lot the time is lack more funding to the game and focus where they want to be. Vanilla server would just take more time away from the main game that they can spend the time on fix and make it better on the main game then off side things like they been doing for years.

In the long run WoW never be that 12 million hit per month like it use to been. There just to many MMO in the market, and WoW need to be really good to make people leave there main game to start over again.

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Ok, ok, ok, ok.

I want coffee flavored WoW, coffee flavored WoW, coffee flavored WoW.

Man, the admins better look into the bad echo on these boards, echo on these boards, echo on these boards.

:p

In case anyone cares, Coffee Flavored WoW is a WoW server that is only on between the hours of 2 AM and 5 AM so you have to drink a lot of coffee to stay up and play it because everyone knows the best times happen at the tavern in Stranglethorn Vale between 2 AM and 5 AM.

Must ... Beat ... Dead ... Horse!  >:)

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

Haha there's a lot of different takes on this.  I appreciate your input.   I totally get it, this has gone from being an I want vanilla subject to an I want every version of the game.  If Blizzard is wanting to make money, I'm sure there's a way to entertain.

Maybe it is ME who has changed and not so much the game.  However, I'm going to argue, the grind is gone.. the theory-crafting is gone... the 40 man raids are gone...  There's a lot that made WOW unique, be it good or bad, that is no longer available in the market.

Wow has gone from being the golden example of a challenging MMO to the one size fits all shoe with Velcro in case you don't know how to tie them.  I loved vanilla, the hunting, the occasional blue that was super valuable, the twinks in WSG.. It was so fun.

It's simply not in the market any more, every new MMO has a linear path to follow from start to finish, the replay ability is based on different styles of play and not different stories to be a part of.  

Perhaps a compromise... unlocking a legacy server costs a certain amount of $, and a small monthly fee increase.  I'd pay as much as $50 and $5/mo more to play BC.  Not suggesting those be the figures, but there are a lot of people like me.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2016
    Blizzard should raise a KS campaign for Vanilla servers, see if people are willing to put their money on the line.

Should be easy, as there's no doubt Blizz is capable of putting them up fairly quickly after funding is confirmed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Blizzard should raise a KS campaign for Vanilla servers, see if people are willing to put their money on the line.
    Sure dilute Kickstarter even more will you.... it is bad enough that people who have the network to secure financing use it as a easy pre-order/market research system. 

How about they do their own market research... Oh i am sure they did that already. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    tawess said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sure dilute Kickstarter even more will you.... it is bad enough that people who have the network to secure financing use it as a easy pre-order/market research system. 

How about they do their own market research... Oh i am sure they did that already. 
    Who the hell wants to do business the traditional way?

Easy money = easy money

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Because it cheapens the brand...? 

Anyway i was more speaking to the spirit of the concept than how it is used... A bit like steam greenlight... 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Been playing WoW this week on a free week promo...It blows me away how much this game has deviated from the original vanilla version.....If the game I see now is what we would have had at launch i dont think I would have had any interest in it...Heck Im even struggling to get through the free week.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    And they're basically giving away WoD now...

Also, I don't think some form of crowd funding is the answer. The multiple xpack scenario is completely doable. A little Google work by Blizz and they'll discover most of the code work is already done...And we all know their hardware isn't quite as packed as a couple years ago. Clean it up, put it on the server, get subs back. If anybody can do it, Blizz can.
    tawess said:
    Kyleran said:

I don't find anything holy in Kickstarter. It seems to be the current place for cash grabs.  Perhaps having a real pub like Blizzard on the books would give it some relevancy.
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Maybe if every expansion the PB hadn't bitched and moaned that things were to hard, took to much time, couldn't be solo'd on .. you wouldn't have a game that you now bitch & moan is to easy.

Stop blaming Blizz for listening and start blaming the PB that moaned to get the game the way it is.