Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung developing 'wireless and dedicated' VR headsets

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Here is what John Carmack said about Samsung. Its not a quote but close

'Samsung decided to go ahead with VR with an 'innovators edition' to test out the market to see how customers responded and if positive then they would consider a full retail'

yeah...not exactly a stretch what I am suggesting here

Here is a little test. 
    What am I suggesting? lets see if get the answer right
    Links.
    it was a 90 min or so interview with Joh Carmak I saw on youtube over a year ago. unfortunately I dont recall WHICH event it was. Do you think I am liying or mistaken on this fairly simple point?

I mean I know testing out an unprooven new market with something called an 'innovators edition' to see if the market responds positive before going full retail is crazy talk but it does happen from time to time
    Your paraphrase of how you interpreted a John Carmack interview from a year ago isn't really relevant. Not only that, but John doesn't work for Samsung so he's not really saying anything but his opinion and what he may have heard at the watercooler. His opinion isn't the Samsung strategy. His interpretation is irrelevant.

Again, you're drawing conclusions based on assumptions and hearsay from third party sources.
    lol..

you can believe what you want to.

I doubt most of you even understand what my point was to begin with.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited April 2016
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    it was a 90 min or so interview with Joh Carmak I saw on youtube over a year ago. unfortunately I dont recall WHICH event it was. Do you think I am liying or mistaken on this fairly simple point?

I mean I know testing out an unprooven new market with something called an 'innovators edition' to see if the market responds positive before going full retail is crazy talk but it does happen from time to time
    Your paraphrase of how you interpreted a John Carmack interview from a year ago isn't really relevant. Not only that, but John doesn't work for Samsung so he's not really saying anything but his opinion and what he may have heard at the watercooler. His opinion isn't the Samsung strategy. His interpretation is irrelevant.

Again, you're drawing conclusions based on assumptions and hearsay from third party sources.
    lol..
    you can believe what you want to.
    I doubt most of you even understand what my point was to begin with.
    Like I said earlier, you haven't made a valid point yet because your argument isn't valid. 
    how can you say I havent made a valid point when you dont even understand the point I made.

let me ask you point blank and please answer short and sweet

'what was the point I was making'?

for fun read this:
    http://www.vrfocus.com/2015/03/carmack-gear-vr-response-way-better-expected/

and this:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/oculus-ready-to-go-full-consumer-on-gear-vr-later-this-year/

edited April 2016
    Torval said:
    Excerpts from the article:

Carmack expressed some surprise that the reaction to the existing "Innovator Edition" Gear VR has been as good as it has been, given technical limitations like a 60 Hz refresh rate and a lack of full head or body tracking.

"We have a plan, we have a date," Carmack said. "Oculus is going to go as hard as we can, to sell as many units as possible, to unleash the full marketing power of Samsung with the next edition of Gear VR."

Samsung will also start pushing consumer-facing Gear VR units for the Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S6, but these plans were still unclear in Carmack's talk.

"Oculus can't twist Samsung's arm" as Carmack put it. That said, the plan is expected to go forward "barring some calamity."

Carmack said he considers mobile VR a key "infection vector" for the idea of virtual reality,

"There is no way a PC or a game console ends up being the path that people end up with" for that extreme level of worldwide consumer penetration, Carmack said. "The VR headset of our dreams doesn't have wires on it, but it's not here now, and it's not going to be here for a while."

Carmack said he envisioned a point in the future where every cell phone store in the world would have a Gear VR demo station running on high-end Samsung phones. He predicted those kinds of demos would "move tons of [units]," because virtual reality is much more immediately compelling than the "gimmicks" that are used to try to set most phones apart from the competition.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he predicts a lot of things, mostly which none have come true, like VR demos in every cell phone store. He also says some pretty silly marketing spin like VR being a compelling selling point unlike those gimmick such as battery life, camera quality, signal strength, biometric security, and application performance. Right, I bought my iPhone because of VR, not those other gimmicks.

He points out quite clearly that they have a plan and will go forward with it, regardless of reception, unless there is a calamity and it all falls apart.

Carmack sees the mobile market as a key infection point to garner adoption which is why they're pushing so hard with this. The key to the success of the Rift and VR in general hinges on mobile adoption.

So they're not going forward based on reception. They're going forward based on their marketing and adoption plan because if it's not adopted by the mobile market it will be relegated to a deep dark nerd niche.

Thanks for proving my point Sean.
    sorry I didnt read any of his predictions in that article. not saying they are not there just saying I didnt focus on that. What I noticed was phrases like 'more than expected' which is not a prediction its a stated state.

also...not sure what your point is given that you dont even understand my point so its a bit pointless not even knowing my point to try and proove a point that counters a point that you dont even know in the first place.

and also keep in mind I didnt suggest that either of those articles where posted as proove of my point which is a point you dont know. I just said they were interesting

lol

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited April 2016
    The largest developer in VR right now is probably government. Not consumer companies.
    Even years ago the US Army was using VR for FTX exercises at Fort Benning and Ft Stewart.
    The proliferation of VR in the consumer market, in my opinion, is only the tip of the giant iceberg that represents VR usage and adoption. Government and Institutional usage via Education will have a profound impact on VR from a business stand point. Not gaming. 
    I dont completely agree with that for a few reasons.

1. consumer market as a whole is monotonously larger than the productivity needs of the entire government unless every single government employee has VR.

2. What makes VR compelling is the Experience it provides, not the productivity it enables. I used to CAD drafting for many years, I didnt do 3D modeling but I knew people who did and I understood the needs of 3D from a productivity standpoint. VR does not add much to the table in that are around productivity (aka making that widget better, faster or otherwise). However, the experience 'space' is much more of an impact.

however I do think there is a compelling chance that VR will be more popular in the 'narrative' space than in the gaming space (that meaning TV, movies etc)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited April 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    The largest developer in VR right now is probably government. Not consumer companies.
    Even years ago the US Army was using VR for FTX exercises at Fort Benning and Ft Stewart.
    The proliferation of VR in the consumer market, in my opinion, is only the tip of the giant iceberg that represents VR usage and adoption. Government and Institutional usage via Education will have a profound impact on VR from a business stand point. Not gaming. 
    I dont completely agree with that for a few reasons.

1. consumer market as a whole is monotonously larger than the productivity needs of the entire government unless every single government employee has VR.

2. What makes VR compelling is the Experience it provides, not the productivity it enables. I used to CAD drafting for many years, I didnt do 3D modeling but I knew people who did and I understood the needs of 3D from a productivity standpoint. VR does not add much to the table in that are around productivity (aka making that widget better, faster or otherwise). However, the experience 'space' is much more of an impact.

however I do think there is a compelling chance that VR will be more popular in the 'narrative' space than in the gaming space (that meaning TV, movies etc)
    1) The consumer market is only larger than government and institutional usage if VR adoption rates are high. To this point they are not yet. The government and educational institutions have been using VR for years already. We had a VR lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison years ago. The Military has used VR for over 15 years.

2) What makes VR compelling for the consumer market is the experience you mean.
     It goes well beyond that for Institutional usage. That has already been proven. The US Army at the School of America's in Fort Benning, GA have used VR for their infantry soldiers for over a decade now. It is a way to simulate being on a battlefield. Police academies across the US,Canada, Great Britain,Japan and South Korea are also using VR applications for cadets entering the force.They have for some time now.
    Being able to virtually operate on a patient has a profound impact on a surgery students ability to learn as they do in John Hopkins and at Duke Medical.   

1. that is true the jury is still out however I think consumer use will outpace the entire 15 years of VR use from both education and all government within a year. Personally I think you are confusing years of use with wide adoption which clearly isnt the same but you still could be right.

2. no what I mean is that for any and all possible uses and all people who use VR. the Experience factor is much higher than the productivity factor. VR is used in psychology for explicitly this reason, to replicate and control the real life experience that is trying to be corrected as much as possible. Speaking as someone who did CAD for a long time and knew and understood 3D CAD I can tell you needing to find and modifiy that widget is not that much easier in VR as it is using a standard large monitor with 3d Software like autocad. HOWEVER...doing it in VR is more fun and 'lifelike' but it doesnt increase my productivity in the matter

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The market is in development.  More players will experience VR through a cellphone then going out and buying a decent VR headset unit.  They already have the cellphone and just have to install some software.  Also they don't have to buy a high end computer or upgrade their mid-range computer.  If you already have a PS4 or Xbox they would probably more likely to try it out also then pc users.
    Using Android to VR pc games.

You know, when I make my little sarcastic comments regarding VR being nothing but strapping a pair of iPhones to your face... I didn't really think it could be done like that. But now you really can just strap an iPhone to your face! Absolutely hilarious! Just grab some $10 ear buds and you're all set to have an 'amazing' VR experience!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

The market is in development.  More players will experience VR through a cellphone then going out and buying a decent VR headset unit.  They already have the cellphone and just have to install some software.  Also they don't have to buy a high end computer or upgrade their mid-range computer.  If you already have a PS4 or Xbox they would probably more likely to try it out also then pc users.
    Using Android to VR pc games.

You know, when I make my little sarcastic comments regarding VR being nothing but strapping a pair of iPhones to your face... I didn't really think it could be done like that. But now you really can just strap an iPhone to your face! Absolutely hilarious! Just grab some $10 ear buds and you're all set to have an 'amazing' VR experience!
    actually what is interesting is that for more than a decade I have been asking myself 'wouldnt it be easier if they could make small monitors that you can just attach to your face.

well the answer as to why they havent done it until now has many factors but namely pixel density is why they havent done it yet in the same non- 6 degrees of movement perspective.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    This review contains a few pointers as to why VR is more than just "strapping a small screen to your face":
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-htc-vive-review

The Vive setup (reviewer calls it "installation") sounds rather daunting, but the result of motion-tracking the players' head AND controllers is quite significant. It's first-gen gear, so very clunky.

I don't believe that Samsung's phone-based VR will give anything remotely close to a fully headset + controller setup. It will most likely be a really sub-par VR experience. Samsung apparently are thinking along similar lines.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

Mars Immersion: NASA Concepts Bring Precision to New Virtual Reality Experience

Concept image of an astronaut drilling for samples on Mars

Advances in virtual reality are creating remarkable opportunities for individuals to immerse themselves in worlds that are impossible, unlikely or simply out of human reach right now. Mars 2030, a new interactive, virtual Mars experience, would allow people to simulate life on the Red Planet. The project, a collaboration between NASA, multi-platform media company FUSION Media and MIT’s Space Systems Laboratory, is expected to debut at South by Southwest in March 2016.

Full story: http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-concepts-bring-precision-mars-to-virtual-reality

I wonder if Samsungs direct access to bendable OLED screens might make them in the end the best VR option out there.

Oculus and Vive both have to ask phone companies for access to tech a company like Samsung has all of that literally in the office

• vrbenefitswhomvrbenefitswhom Member CommonPosts: 4
    SEANMCAD said:
    I wonder if Samsungs direct access to bendable OLED screens might make them in the end the best VR option out there.

Oculus and Vive both have to ask phone companies for access to tech a company like Samsung has all of that literally in the office
    HTC makes the Vive. They are a phone company!