Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the internet became boring this decade since now everyone uses it?

l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic Discussion
Has the internet became boring this last decade since now everyone uses it? It seems like now that normal people are on the internet they drive out all of the fun and make it a stale experience.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    What makes it stale and boring is poll after poll after poll...
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    l2avism said:
    Has the internet became boring this last decade since now everyone uses it? It seems like now that normal people are on the internet they drive out all of the fun and make it a stale experience.

go back to the late 80s and early 90s and  that I how I felt about outsiders using the Internet.  :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lurleenalurleena Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited November 2015
    If internet became boring this last decade then it wouldn't become part of our lifestyle.
  • haroldgreenharoldgreen Member CommonPosts: 2
    No, it can't become boring. Only certain things get boring.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    The internet is a tool and is much the same as it always has been.

The thing that changes is the content and the vast majority of content has always been boring. However, we've got so much more of it now that there is more interesting things around now than there used to be, it can just be hard to find. 

I do think that the internet has made people more boring, especially social networking. I truly believe that social networking has had a seriously negative effect on western society. Kids and young adults now have significantly less "real" social interaction than they did 10+ years ago, resulting in decreased social skills, increased mental illnesses and decreased ability to deal with life. 

Also, we're just at the end of a bubble. We had the first .com bubble (ecommerce), we're in the second bubble (social), so it feels a little boring but we won't be too far away from the third bubble. My guess is the third bubble will be entertainment (streaming) and so things will get interesting again. We'll see streaming eventually replace live television almost entirely and, once the tech is there, we'll probably see it replace gaming, music, telephone calls etc. We're in the process of switching that way already (skype, spotify, netflix etc) and we're only going to keep getting better. 

The final thing I'm waiting for is digital government, so easy-to-use digital voting, polling, law making etc. Imagine if the government could easily put a poll up about a potential new law and have 80%+ of the population vote on it within a few days. It would be immense! A truly well informed and involved electorate would result in much better politics and government so we might actually stop stagnating and start progressing again.  
  • SharkbunnieSharkbunnie Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Sorry, I couldn't resist myself with that 4th option. :p

I'd say in many ways it's great that the Internet has been so widespread. I now can't really imagine a life without it. I love being able to contact friends and family all over the world (and make new friends all over the world)! Inventions like video calling really are great. :)
  • larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I do think that the internet has made people more boring, especially social networking. I truly believe that social networking has had a seriously negative effect on western society. Kids and young adults now have significantly less "real" social interaction than they did 10+ years ago, resulting in decreased social skills, increased mental illnesses and decreased ability to deal with life.
    I agree! I also think that internet makes people boring :anguished:
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71

It wouldn't be fair not to acknowledge the other side of the coin, where the internet has INCREASED some young people's social skills and ability to deal with life. Though your point is the majority, and I agree with it.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    cameltosis said:

I would actually blame most of this on everyone having cell phones nowadays, rather than the internet directly.  If you put 50 people in a room, at least 40 of them will be on their phones the entire time*.

* numbers pulled out of bodily orifice

As to the OP:
    There is certainly tons of useless crap on the internet nowadays that gets in the way of the good stuff.

But, still, the internet is more amazing than ever.  It's like a massive set of Encyclopedias with all the knowledge and know-how from the entire world.

If people are bored on the internet today, it's because they've grown stale, not because the internet has.  I love being able to pop open a browser and learn practically anything and everything whenever I feel like it.
    The internet is the world's greatest university, and its doors are open to everyone.

But, yeah, I think most people just sit around wasting their time with the social networking... it's a real shame to see such a godly tool being used to spread manure.