Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parkour Preview - Chronicles of Elyria

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageParkour Preview - Chronicles of Elyria

The latest video showing off movement abilities in Chronicles of Elyria

Read the full story here

Comments

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Blink and you'll miss it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Parkour is not a spinning jump animation.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Would be kinda nice having dungeons/area where you can't simply walk into but have to parkour to get inside.

Also easter eggs that are hidden.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    IMHO, parkour is harder to be done in open world MMO (at least to be as interesting as lobby based online game like Warframe).

My suggestion is never advertise parkour as one of CoE features, it is unlikely that devs will deliver parkour like exactly most people imagine.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    That's jumping on buildings. Like Dullahan showed, we've been doing that since EQ1. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to see we can get on top of buildings, might help to get an aerial assault on people or jump them in "dark alleyways" but i'm not sure I'd call that parkour. Now if you can jump from wall to wall to scale a wall ala say "prince of Persia" then that might be something. It's just not something shown in this video...so yeah

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Dullahan said:

The dwarf parkour is better.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You'd think that in a game where you can grow old and die, you could also break your damn leg from a two story fall.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This is the most deceiving preview with a marketing buzzword. Not parkour even in the most simplest form.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    LOL what the hell was THAT?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't know what Parkour they are showing because i am not clicking on click baits.
    However i watched on you tube and shows nothing more than a flip/twist animation off a roof.
    Graphically looks good though except on the final landing there was an animation hitch.

people don't do flips with a half twist off roofs,so yeah it is sort of Parkour or maybe just gymnastics lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

LOL what the hell was THAT?

That was, not a good preview of an ability. I am reading though that this skill is probably going to be attached to at least your agility stat, so some guy in heavy armor/low agility can't really do this. This would have been far better done to polish this up a bit, take time to make it look good and explain it better when releasing it to the public than just release a quick video of someone jumping a building.  My advice to them in the future is stick to official announcements and don't do tweets of things.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Hmmm, it looks good but may be have been a poor choice of buzzword...

On that note, we're missing some context here.  If you go to the actual youtube page the description indicates that this may not be a serious thing and it's just small showcase for the animation.

More interestingly, there's only one negative comment in the youtube comments and not a single positive thing said in this thread.  I thought youtube was supposed to be some sort of cesspool.  What's that say about this place?
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Wow the fact they are claiming that as parkour just convinced me these guys are just another dishonest disillusioned indie developer to avoid like the plague. Thanks for the warning.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Dagon13 said:
    Hmmm, it looks good but may be have been a poor choice of buzzword...

On that note, we're missing some context here.  If you go to the actual youtube page the description indicates that this may not be a serious thing and it's just small showcase for the animation.

More interestingly, there's only one negative comment in the youtube comments and not a single positive thing said in this thread.  I thought youtube was supposed to be some sort of cesspool.  What's that say about this place?
    The YouTube comments came from fans on their Twitter. Many of those would thumbs up a plate with poo.  That said the great thing about "this place" is that you can easily avoid it by not visiting. If you visit a place you consider "a cesspool" you must enjoy it on some level...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Looks nice. But what is the purpose? I don't want to see people doing that all the time, in stead of walking/running around normal.
    jozeph said:
    Looks nice. But what is the purpose? I don't want to see people doing that all the time, in stead of walking/running around normal.
    If what i'm hearing is true (don't take this as any kind of confirmation) and please feel free to look this up yourself.  It appears this will be tied to your armor type and your agility stat.

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Here's the deal, we threw this up on YouTube this morning at 1am with no real description, and no real press accompanying it. What press was given to it was a Twitter/Facebook update that read "With less than three days left until Kickstarter, we're flippin' out!" It was a pun.

The video was just an opportunity to showcase a cool, fun little animation. The use of the term "parkour" wasn't meant to deceive or mislead. The animation is in fact a common parkour/free running move and in CoE is more commonly used to go over barriers. We put it on the rooftop because... well... it's badass to see people flipping on roofs, and that's something we wanted to see. It was unfinished as we don't yet have the drop-roll from height. But that too will be added at some point in the future.

With that said, parkour is, and always has been a planned component of the game since the very beginning, and is referred to on many of our Q&A's on DM21 Gaming, etc...

We feel like the freedom of movement associated with parkour makes you feel connected to the world. It makes you feel more a part of it. Nothing connects you to a game world than feeling like you're fully in control of your character. 

Also, we've long since said we wanted CoE not to play like a traditional flat MMO. We want it to feel more like a platformer with the need to jump, vault, duck, roll, balance, swing, and hang. Why? Because those things require player timing and skill, just like the combat system. 

Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    whilan said:
    jozeph said:
    If what i'm hearing is true (don't take this as any kind of confirmation) and please feel free to look this up yourself.  It appears this will be tied to your armor type and your agility stat.
    So we get to see high agility characters constantly jumping around doing flips? Do we really need another Dark Elf ( WoW ) situation where players would constantly jump just to see the flip...

The YouTube comments came from fans on their Twitter. Many of those would thumbs up a plate with poo.  That said the great thing about "this place" is that you can easily avoid it by not visiting. If you visit a place you consider "a cesspool" you must enjoy it on some level...
    The appropriate response was that "We are discerning individuals" but if your default behavior is to be combative, well then, it seems we're all just peas in a pod around here.

I'd like to see the video again after they finish the rolling animation referenced in the video description.
    Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Here's the deal, we threw this up on YouTube this morning at 1am with no real description, and no real press accompanying it. What press was given to it was a Twitter/Facebook update that read "With less than three days left until Kickstarter, we're flippin' out!" It was a pun.

The video was just an opportunity to showcase a cool, fun little animation. The use of the term "parkour" wasn't meant to deceive or mislead. The animation is in fact a common parkour/free running move and in CoE is more commonly used to go over barriers. We put it on the rooftop because... well... it's badass to see people flipping on roofs, and that's something we wanted to see. It was unfinished as we don't yet have the drop-roll from height. But that too will be added at some point in the future.

With that said, parkour is, and always has been a planned component of the game since the very beginning, and is referred to on many of our Q&A's on DM21 Gaming, etc...

We feel like the freedom of movement associated with parkour makes you feel connected to the world. It makes you feel more a part of it. Nothing connects you to a game world than feeling like you're fully in control of your character. 

Also, we've long since said we wanted CoE not to play like a traditional flat MMO. We want it to feel more like a platformer with the need to jump, vault, duck, roll, balance, swing, and hang. Why? Because those things require player timing and skill, just like the combat system. 

Thank you Jeromy, that does alleviate some of the "worry" I had with this. I'm glad there does seem to be some thought put into this.  I will hold my opinion of the feature until I see more.

SlyLoK said:
    whilan said:
    jozeph said:
    So we get to see high agility characters constantly jumping around doing flips? Do we really need another Dark Elf ( WoW ) situation where players would constantly jump just to see the flip...
    Well if they annoyed you too much you could just..kill them if you wanted to. I mean nothing stops you from doing that >:)

Thank you for the context!
    H0urg1ass said:
    You'd think that in a game where you can grow old and die, you could also break your damn leg from a two story fall.
    Actually if you look at number 2 of this list which is on the youtube video you can at least suffer some kind of fall damage :

1. No, this isn't the only jump/vault/somersault animation we'll ever have
    2. Yes, there's fall damage. No, it wasn't present in the video
    3. Yes, it should have done a drop-roll at the end. We didn't have the animation finished yet but wanted to show a work-in-progress anyways
    4. No. Not everyone can do this vault. Strength, Agility, and physique determine which animations are available to you.
    5. Yes. Assassins are badass and yes, doing this in broad daylight would draw attention to you.

Assuming that all this makes it in. abridge list for easier viewing without all the flair.

1. One of the animation, all are not shown here.
    2. Fall damage possible.
    3. Video shown does not have all animation complete.
    4. Animations/abilities available to the player are based on Strength, Agility and Physique
    5. Doing this during the day will draw attention to you.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    whilan said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    1. No, this isn't the only jump/vault/somersault animation we'll ever have
    I didn't assume it was.  Didn't say anything of the sort!

whilan said:

2. Yes, there's fall damage. No, it wasn't present in the video
    Great!

whilan said:

3. Yes, it should have done a drop-roll at the end. We didn't have the animation finished yet but wanted to show a work-in-progress anyways
    Sweet!

whilan said:

4. No. Not everyone can do this vault. Strength, Agility, and physique determine which animations are available to you.
    Armor?  Carried weight?  Age?

whilan said:

5. Yes. Assassins are badass and yes, doing this in broad daylight would draw attention to you.
    Assassins being badass will be determined heavily by the stealth/hiding system involved.  As someone who prefers the cloaking/stealthy/sneaky sneaky class in almost every game I play, I'll be the judge of "badassery" when that day comes.

For instance, the Assassin I play in GURPS has a high level of personal skills in these areas, which are then backed up by minor magical ability in the illusion college which allows for even more sneaky sneaky.  So, for instance, if I wanted to run across a rooftop in broad daylight, then I would cast invisibility on myself and make a dash for it before the spell runs out.