Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirate Server Admins Invited to Blizzard Campus

Comments

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Haradeas said:
    Vanilla wow was great, no crappy expansions, no team finder, just old skool find a guild , clan, party by spamming the chat... 40 man raids were great.

This made me laugh. It looks like a child saying everything was super awesome.  WOW was severely limited back then, 40 man raids were not *great*. Vailla wow had terrible balance issues, many classes had OP abilities. I am an average pvp player, but with my MAGE I could easily kill any warrior, no matter how good they were.

I see so many people that felt special back then trying to grab that feeling back with *illegal* private servers. It's so sad tbh, some people just can't move on ;(

''Move on'' On to what this pathetic arcade game WoW current is? Lmao. Vanilla was better and its not even close. To be precise Vanilla was an MMORPG, WoD is  like an a arcade browser game
  • subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    muffins89 said:

waynejr2 said:

odiasuda said:

WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.

Wotlk was where the game turned for me.  Vanilla and TBC are great then it starts going down hill.  Let's not even bring up cata.

I started playing WoW 4 years after it released. I didn't buy WotLK until the final THe Lich King himself was able to be fought. WotLK is by far the best expansion they ever had.

Nah TBC was the perfect expansion.It took all the issues of Vanilla improved them and made the perfect MMORPG expierience. No scaling difficulty  raids, but MANY rdifferent raids with different diffuculty.

Proffesions were at their best, with having special perks(like elixir master/transmute master..in the other profs aswell). Economy was at its best, fantastic dungeons and raids/Kharazan-->ST- BT- SSC

Guilds were at its peak,guilds were small communities.

In WOtlk game started shifting, that being said it was still good untill the very last big patch that messed up the game even more.

TBC was the perfect MMORPG expierience, in terms of raiding/proffesions/socializing/pvp aswell
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The LAW decides what is pirate servers NOT Blizzard not me and not anyone else.
    Each person is allowed their own opinion ,mine is if a game is using Blizzard assets,it is 100% pirated and illegal ,UNLESS closed down denying gamer's the right to play the game they purchased.

Even having said that,the LAW is not always right,that is why sometimes laws change or are tweaked,that is why we have brains to think for ourselves and to criticize when something is just plain WRONG or unjust.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MegaMouseGWMegaMouseGW Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Blizzard is in it for the money they could care less about the little guys.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    SBFord said:
    Stop with the shilling, they aren't pirate servers and have never been called pirate servers before this. They are called private servers because they are privately hosted, and this goes back to Ultima Online private shards. They didn't pirate the game, these are fans of the original out of the box WoW, which pretty much all of us have purchased. The scripting and programming is all emulated, not pirated. Seriously, those who have absolutely no knowledge of basic rhetoric shouldn't attempt to use it.
    Blizzard reps called them pirate servers in their communication last week. *shrugs*
    She has been doing this over the course of her last several articles.  It's just like pro-choice people calling pro-lifers "anti-abortion" to put a negative association with it, regardless of their name or who they are generally referred to by the public.

She doesnt like them, and she has refused to discuss the issue of ownership and if private servers and owners of vanilla have a right to access a game they paid for.

It is what it is, time to move on and let her keep doing her thing.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    filmoret said:
    I'm fairly certain they are trying to come to an agreement.  I bet they want the nost game.
    Nost game? what the hell is that? You think nostashit just used their own code and such for their server? No they did not! It is the accumulation of thousands of people and million hours of man hour, people who worked before them to complete a database for vanilla wow, along with tbc and wotlk. People dote on these 3 iterations of WoW so they have been the most worked on. The time i was working on a vanilla 1.12.1 private server we had over 2000 people actively working on the emulator and the database. People who came before nostashit put their work on public source code saving sites like sourceforge and such. nostashit just copied from where the others left off before they were shut down by blizzard too. It is amusing to see these vultures who used content thousands of people like me worked on to develop getting this much support and credit. Worked 2 years on a server, not going to give you embellished shit data like them, we had 10K unique players playing regularly, i was kicked out of project because i was in the support of UDB and pristine blizzard parameters for UDB and soon after blizzard shut down the server because one of the fools asked for donations on forums..
    Yep. These guys may have become to largest private server but there were many before them and there are still some ( even vanilla ) and there will be more after them. It isnt difficult to run one of these servers ( I ran one back in 2005ish for a couple years with custom content - Slysters WoW - haha ).

Them getting so much credit and publicity is a shame.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Stop with the shilling, they aren't pirate servers and have never been called pirate servers before this. They are called private servers because they are privately hosted, and this goes back to Ultima Online private shards. They didn't pirate the game, these are fans of the original out of the box WoW, which pretty much all of us have purchased. The scripting and programming is all emulated, not pirated. Seriously, those who have absolutely no knowledge of basic rhetoric shouldn't attempt to use it.
    You obviously have zero knowledge on how these people run private servers. I will not discuss anything in detail but what they do, what private server developers like me did was totally illegal. We needed to gather data on every single npc, every single ability, every encounter, every script, how do you think we did that? Not by any legal way.
    Illegal?

Welcome to the real world. You software types really do seem to believe that you live in an alternate reality. Some realy do believe that they are special snowflakes. What do you think is the first thing that happens when a new product or technology is released? Patented or not?

The competition gets one and takes it apart to see how it ticks. To see how or if they can circumvent any intellectual property protection.

Pretty much every product in the known world would have been made illegally with your train of thought.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    laserit said:
    You obviously have zero knowledge on how these people run private servers. I will not discuss anything in detail but what they do, what private server developers like me did was totally illegal. We needed to gather data on every single npc, every single ability, every encounter, every script, how do you think we did that? Not by any legal way.
    Illegal?

Welcome to the real world. You software types really do seem to believe that you live in an alternate reality. Some realy do believe that they are special snowflakes. What do you think is the first thing that happens when a new product or technology is released? Patented or not?

The competition gets one and takes it apart to see how it ticks. To see how or if they can circumvent any intellectual property protection.

Pretty much every product in the known world would have been made illegally with your train of thought.
    Stop with your nonsense. You have no idea what you are talking about. This is not simple copying idea.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    laserit said:

Illegal?

Let me counter that... =)

No private server can do much without publishing copyrighted material... As in any and all art, audio and lore assets in the game... You buying the disk does not give you any right to publish those without consent from Blizzard... .. . 

So,,,, We are still back at illegal (as in so far as it is a breach of contract) 

This have been a good conversation

laserit said:
    Illegal?

Stop with your nonsense. You have no idea what you are talking about. This is not simple copying idea.
    Simple copying? Nonsense?

I couldn't count the number of non disclosure agreements I've signed.  I've seen and been involved with  some things that have taken over a decade of research and development  just to get a working prototype. I have a part library of over 70k strong.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2016
    Thupli said:
    SBFord said:

Blizzard reps called them pirate servers in their communication last week. *shrugs*
    She has been doing this over the course of her last several articles.  It's just like pro-choice people calling pro-lifers "anti-abortion" to put a negative association with it, regardless of their name or who they are generally referred to by the public.

She doesnt like them, and she has refused to discuss the issue of ownership and if private servers and owners of vanilla have a right to access a game they paid for.

It is what it is, time to move on and let her keep doing her thing.
    What part of Blizzard's letter to the community did you miss when they said these servers are "pirate"?

Let me find the quote for you for your enlightenment:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

As for the copyright thing: There is no discussion or legal precedent at this time that says that these servers are able to run counter to the current law as Blizzard and Activision interpret it. Whether it goes anywhere or not in the nations  where they are attempting to prosecute remains to be seen.

Additionally, there are obviously a wide variety of interpretations regarding the legal rights of those who bought software and the meaning of "game play experience may change online" though from my personal perspective, it's pretty clear.

To quote @tawess :

Let me counter that...

No private server can do much without publishing copyrighted material... As in any and all art, audio and lore assets in the game... You buying the disk does not give you any right to publish those without consent from Blizzard... .. . 

So,,,, We are still back at illegal (as in so far as it is a breach of contract) 

And, really...the irony. My ostensible 'refusal' to swing to your interpretation is no more "close-minded" than your refusal to swing to mine. Our viewpoints are shaped by our locations, political affiliation and a thousand other things. If and until this issue is resolved legally -- and it will go to court to determine ownership (or not) of all purchased software -- we can simply agree to disagree.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    tawess said:
    laserit said:

Illegal?

Let me counter that... =)

Exactly... whether server code belongs to a private server or not, the game it is supporting does not, nor do they have permission or authorization to offer their own version of it. Every single aspect of World of Warcraft is a protected property. Those protections are in place for exactly this reason.

In the end it's up to the owners how far they'll allow "fans" to offer their creations into that IP. As a hypothetical example they may let you take RPGmaker, slap WC's theme on a hobby effort and offer it up as fan homage to the franchise for free. OR make a fan comic, Art, film, etc..etc..etc.. As long as those things don't directly compete with something they're trying to sell, you're usually good (usually)....

The second you move into the realm of stepping on their toes, they'll do what they can to shut you down, this is common with just about any property in existence.

This has nothing to do with the comparison Laser was trying to offer, as what he said about circumventing patents is exemplifying this point. The second you start taking another products imagery, or anything else that is protected you're no longer circumventing those protections. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Illegal?

I have a part library of over 70k strong. 
    Right...so i am gonna just sit over there..away from 70K strong parts...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    SBFord said:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

As for the copyright thing: There is no discussion or legal precedent at this time that says that these servers are able to run counter to the current law as Blizzard and Activision interpret it. Whether it goes anywhere or not in the nations  where they are attempting to prosecute remains to be seen.

Additionally, there are obviously a wide variety of interpretations regarding the legal rights of those who bought software and the meaning of "game play experience may change online" though from my personal perspective, it's pretty clear.

I think the dispute on this stems from the semantics - if Blizzards does as they proposed and licensed the right for 3rd parties to host the game, then at that point it would no longer be a pirate server, just a privately hosted one.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Cyrael said:
    SBFord said:

I think the dispute on this stems from the semantics - if Blizzards does as they proposed and licensed the right for 3rd parties to host the game, then at that point it would no longer be a pirate server, just a privately hosted one.
    Agreed. But if and until that happens, it's a moot point. Right now they call it pirate (whether or not we agree or regardless of what the law actually says, by the way).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    also while we are on the subject  i am pretty sure any newly created code also falls under copyright.. So if Blizzards coders have written any code that did not exist before... they own that too. But i might be wrong. 

This have been a good conversation

laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Illegal?

I have a part library of over 70k strong. 
    Right...so i am gonna just sit over there..away from 70K strong parts...
    Every single one of those Cad files in my servers hard drive is an intellectual property.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Haradeas said:
    Vanilla wow was great, no crappy expansions, no team finder, just old skool find a guild , clan, party by spamming the chat... 40 man raids were great.

This made me laugh. It looks like a child saying everything was super awesome.  WOW was severely limited back then, 40 man raids were not *great*. Vailla wow had terrible balance issues, many classes had OP abilities. I am an average pvp player, but with my MAGE I could easily kill any warrior, no matter how good they were.

I see so many people that felt special back then trying to grab that feeling back with *illegal* private servers. It's so sad tbh, some people just can't move on ;(

2-5 million people completely disagree with you.  But keep on spouting your opinion as fact.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:
    You know it makes me feel utterly unclean and dirty to admit it.  But as much as i bitch about Blizzard and their Hubris.  As much as i bitch about how they ruined the genre with WoW...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and until pantheon releases, i would gladly play a vanilla WoW server because that would far and away be the closest thing to an actual MMO that would exist in the current field of games that are called MMO's now.
    I'd say that would be EVE. Certainly not any version of WOW.
    If you're into PVP i would agree with you.  However we're talking about a (primarily) PVE mmo.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    I doubt this means that they will allow any type of private server, but this is at least hopeful news that they might open a vanilla server in the future.   It kind of reminds me of that european conference they had for Hearthstone a while back.  
  • NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited May 2016
    Hrimnir said:
    Haradeas said:

2-5 million people completely disagree with you.  But keep on spouting your opinion as fact.

2-5 million loved raiding did they?  2-5 million people loved 40 man raiding?. Back in vanilla the raiding community was a small percentage of the player base. Most people did not bother with it. I played wow since 2004 and the US beta, so I know what I am talking about and it's not just my *OPINION*.

The only thing I liked about VANILLA wow was the community, which was a lot better before xrealm and the introduction of exp gain into the bg's. Concerning the wailing about the death of world PVP. You know what world pvp meant, it was higher level toons killing lowbies and mostly legging it when peeps the same level arrived to help.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Hrimnir said:
    Haradeas said:

2-5 million. Yet Nostalrius only advertised themselves as having 850K accounts. Did you learn math via Abbott & Costello? Just curious. Because it's either that, or you're suggesting everyone who quit WoW in the last few years did so because they wanted vanilla...

Also, vanilla was absolutely horrible compared to modern WoW. Terrible class balance across the board, buggy content, simplistic raid mechanics, unbearable grinding, content gaps, unfinished zones and quests, spamming LFG for hours instead of actually playing... and yes, those are all facts. 

Abbott & Costello math lesson, in case anyone is curious: 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Distopia said:
    Exactly... whether server code belongs to a private server or not, the game it is supporting does not, nor do they have permission or authorization to offer their own version of it. Every single aspect of World of Warcraft is a protected property. Those protections are in place for exactly this reason.

I think the main issue lies in the precedence of the past versions of WOW and if it is enough to be considered an  " abandoned game ".   I doubt any court would ever see it that way, but you never know.

2-5 million loved raiding did they?  2-5 million people loved 40 man raiding?. Back in vanilla the raiding community was a small percentage of the player base. Most people did not bother with it. I played wow since 2004 and the US beta, so I know what I am talking about and it's not just my *OPINION*.

The only thing I liked about VANILLA wow was the community, which was a lot better before xrealm and the introduction of exp gain into the bg's. Concerning the wailing about the death of world PVP. You know what world pvp meant, it was higher level toons killing lowbies and mostly legging it when peeps the same level arrived to help.

2-5 million. Yet Nostalrius only advertised themselves as having 850K accounts. Did you learn math via Abbott & Costello? Just curious. Because it's either that, or you're suggesting everyone who quit WoW in the last few years did so because they wanted vanilla...

Also, vanilla was absolutely horrible compared to modern WoW. Terrible class balance across the board, buggy content, simplistic raid mechanics, unbearable grinding, content gaps, unfinished zones and quests, spamming LFG for hours instead of actually playing... and yes, those are all facts. 

Abbott & Costello math lesson, in case anyone is curious: 

The amount of just plain obfuscation and intellectual dishonesty in both of these posts is apalling.  Seriously.

@nokkson you picked the 1 thing out of the list that you was true.  The guy you responded to mentioned raiding as ONE of the things that made vanilla wow great.

@Solar_Prophet See, this is what we call a Straw Man.  It's this type of fallacious argument where you set up an argument that someone else never even mentioned or suggested, and attack that argument instead of attacking the actual argument at hand.

Nostalrius first and foremost had the issue that it was illegal, and a substantive portion of people wouldn't play it for that reason alone. Secondarily, the number i was referring to was AT RELEASE and on up through BC. Obviously those people enjoyed the game as it exploded in numbers and was heralded as the second coming of Christ.

I'm really sick of the bullshit.  Honestly i'm just tired of it.

Anyone who argues that it wasn't illegal is an idiot.  Anyone who argues that there's no real demand for vanilla servers is an idiot.  Trying to take a hardline stance and do mental gymnastics to come to your conclusion, regardless of whether its on the far side of either argument, means you're an idiot.

Blizzard is absolutely correct to say that if they don't protect their IP they can lose it (in a manner of speaking).  However their unparalleled hubris telling players that "they are stupid and they don't REALLY want vanilla servers" is the height of arrogance.  Blizzard remaining utterly silent until they created a veritable shitstorm of negative backlash by shutting down Nostalrius and finally being FORCED to address the issue, once again shows arrogance.

Personally i blame the playerbase.  People have been blowing so much smoke up Blizzard's ass for so long that it rivaled a forest fire.  If you tell people they are gods walking on earth for long enough they start to believe it.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    A vanilla or legacy WoW server will flop.  This is just my opinion.  I could throw a bunch of numbers and hypotheticals at this wall, but it would just be a waste of time, mine and yours.

Now, that being said, I did play WoW beta.  I said WoW would be a big flop also.  :)
    Haroo!