Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 10 Day Trial Offered

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew 10 Day Trial Offered

Have you ever wanted to play Funcom's The Secret World? If so, you have a new opportunity thanks to the new 10 day trial available on the official site.

Read the full story here

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would love to play The Secret World. Lots of positives but one glaring negative is the combat.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    don't care for combat TSW is awesome mmoRPG universe with best stories in gaming .just that feeling & atmosphere !
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If you haven't ever tried TSW, this is a golden opportunity to see for yourself what it's all about.

Well worth the effort, imho, it has some really interesting and different quest designs.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Secret World is an excellent game.  In a world of its own.  A one-of-a-kind.  Wish we had more innovative games like it in the MMORPG genre.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Just posted it several hours ago :wink: (with a bit more details)

Word is slowly spreading already, there are significantly more new players than it was for example last weekend. Lot's of questions too... It's kinda cool.
    I'm curious what will be the mid-term and long-term results, though. We'll see, I guess... :lol: 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Po_gg said:

Just posted it several hours ago :wink: (with a bit more details)

Word is slowly spreading already, there are significantly more new players than it was for example last weekend. Lot's of questions too... It's kinda cool.
    I'm curious what will be the mid-term and long-term results, though. We'll see, I guess... :lol: 

It was already preloaded into the system for posting today. *shrugs* Link your thread. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    I have always liked the theme of this game and always wanted to try it. Got this trial and have to say I am pretty disappointed with some of the systems in this game. The UI is god awful and took a while to figure out how to move it after it refused to scale properly to my resolution. It feels really clunky compared to Age of Conan and they both use the same engine. I have to play it some more but so far im unimpressed.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is a good thing to offer trials,ALL games should be doing it.However it is far too long incoming,should have happened a year ago or more.

As noted by others,the combat is just not nearly good enough for me anyhow.The story,that is opinionated,just like SWTOR i never found anything too amazing but instead felt very linear to start in the first several maps.
    I know it is tough to make a non linear story  "VERY tough" but that is what i want or it needs to be an amazing story  aka FFX type amazing with Wakka and Yuna type characters.
    The reason why MOST story telling in games is not good to me is because they feel fabricated one by one ,where as my example of FFX felt like the entire story was created before the game was made.

Personally i know i never gave TSW a long enough try before i quit,i might try it again to see if it gets better beyond the first several maps.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    if only the combat were better and the animatios were cooler D: (magic at least :( ) , give it a try the game has awesome lore and the stories are awesome
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I hate quests and I stuck with this game almost all the way. The builder combat feels like a chore. If they could figure out a way to remove the excessive combat building it would be even better. The ui is also a big challenge.

Love the build customization modern fantasy is sooo tired) creepy setting, open world difficulty and the well written quests. Def worth a try if you can adjust to the builder combat.
  • SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    TSW is one of my all time favorites.   I for one actually like the combat mechanics and the freedom I had to experiment with different builds all on the same characters.  The questing is simply the best I've experienced.  One of the few MMOs I've ever stayed at through end game.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Put the game in the title....so I don't have to click on crap that wastes my time.....please?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

SBFord said:
    It was already preloaded into the system for posting today. *shrugs* Link your thread. :P
    I know, that's why the wink was there, it's not a race :wink: 
    (not link it because it still needs an update... I wanted to test this change before the post)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited May 2016
    The ultimate edition was on sale for $20 last week, so I splurged and decided to get back into it, and start fresh. Haven't had the time yet though. Not sure what build I want to use. Definitely lightning (elemental) and some kind of gun. Pistols, maybe?

The game has the best atmosphere and questing around. Combat is still kind of boring though, and while I love how much cosmetic gear there is, I'm still perplexed as to why there's no housing. This would be one of the most obvious games to feature it, and Funcom would probably make a good chunk of cash adding housing items to the cash shop, especially since so much modern stuff could be sold. Big screen TVs, computers, game consoles, appliances, a closet for your outfits, an armory to display weapons, and so on. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• JGrendahlJGrendahl Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2016
    I want to love this game so much. The questing is awesome; investigation missions are fantastic, even if you've done them multiple times. And that first area, man! As a fan of the Lovecraft universe, it really, really grabs my attention. Honestly, that is my go to area for doing almost anything in the game because I love it so much.

That said, I really don't DO much in the game, because for me the combat is atrocious. I feel like adding in the "action" element with dodges in beta really was an unfortunate move. Not that combat was fantastic before that, but it seemed marginally better. If it were fixed, maybe there would be more people returning/joining the game.

In the quote they mentioned overhauling the ability wheel. That's one of the things I feel is done really well. I love having the ability to customize what abilities/weapons I have and have to not be married to a specific weapon for a type of ability I might want. Guild Wars 2 is always frustrating to me (I do enjoy the game, just not the way weapons are designed), for that very reason.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    JGrendahl said:
    I want to love this game so much. The questing is awesome; investigation missions are fantastic, even if you've done them multiple times. And that first area, man! As a fan of the Lovecraft universe, it really, really grabs my attention. Honestly, that is my go to area for doing almost anything in the game because I love it so much.

That said, I really don't DO much in the game, because for me the combat is atrocious.
    This is pretty much my feeling too.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Mardukk said:

I hate quests and I stuck with this game almost all the way. The builder combat feels like a chore. If they could figure out a way to remove the excessive combat building it would be even better. The ui is also a big challenge.

Love the build customization modern fantasy is sooo tired) creepy setting, open world difficulty and the well written quests. Def worth a try if you can adjust to the builder combat.

I don't understand this. A lot of MMO's have this, like WoW for example. So it's not something new.

Elder Scrolls games have this too.

Having to use sertain abilities to charge a more powerful move.
    JeroKane said:

Mardukk said:

The builder combat feels like a chore. If they could figure out a way to remove the excessive combat building it would be even better. The ui is also a big challenge.
    I don't understand this. A lot of MMO's have this [...]
    Add to that, it's totally optional too. If he wants, he can build a deck without builders and consumers. Actually it's quite fun. Is it "optimal", or "kill fast enough", or any of those BS? Of course not. But who cares, until it's fun? :wink:

If you don't like the builder/consumer setup, at least there's the option for doing something else, which might be more to your liking. In other games with builder/consumer, it is rigged into the system, it's either take it or leave... Here you can build anything what fits the best to your playstyle.

UI is totally flexible too, you can do anything with it, even hiding it entirely.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    TSW Melee Combat:

http://gph.is/XHHjCi
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    edited May 2016
    Im in the minority but I was never impressed at all with TSW...The cities felt ridiculously small, the combat was awful, and the animations were terrible too.....I played Anarchy Online for years but was very disappointed with both AoC and TSW. Also the cutscenes and voice acting were way overdone.
    Probably because of the new trial option, they made a new trailer: https://youtu.be/y_HFb51WmhY
    and a short summary about the game: https://youtu.be/SFO_oXkvw_g   (thought that line of "engaging massive pvp" might be a bit of an overstatement :lol: )