Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirate Server Admins Invited to Blizzard Campus

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    All these cries for a vanilla server are nothing more than a hipster summer fling. Give it a year no one will care about this vanilla thing or remember the nostalrius-affair. Just another hipster thing because even amongst nerds is cool to be "classic" lol

All that time I spent on Nostalrius having the best time of my gaming life... turns out I was just a hipster!! OMG what have I become?!!!
    Your username is "WhySoSerious" and you have a laughing man avatar, it's pretty fucking obvious you've been a hipster all along. How you just found out is beyond me.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    All these cries for a vanilla server are nothing more than a hipster summer fling. Give it a year no one will care about this vanilla thing or remember the nostalrius-affair. Just another hipster thing because even amongst nerds is cool to be "classic" lol
    Gamers have been playing Vanilla nonstop quite many years by now.What was the name of trainer who trained this hipster word for you,must be awesome :)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Work it out Blizz. Make it happen...
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think if they allowed access and hosted, while still calling it 3rd party with no bliz support and you could only access with a WoW sub . . . bah . . dreaming.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Third World War will start after a legion of angry gamers in cosplay attempts to rescue the Nostalrius Team, now Blizzard´s prisoners, and the situation escalaes out of control.

I said it first.
    Remember it as you scavenge for food within the ruins of civilization.

There will be no internet to upvote my comment and i will not be able to say "i told you", but i will be right nonetheless and that will be enough.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited April 2016
    Imagine if the Nostalgia Ruleset of Choice is voted by the players, and ends up Pandaria...

::chortle::

"Sorry, old dudes, but there's more of us than you."
  • West_LightzWest_Lightz Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I'm pretty sure runescape had success hosting an "oldschool" server. If they can make it work then Blizz definitely can. Just make it require a sub post 20 or w/e it is atm and it'll have a huge launch.
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Never to be heard from again, was nice knowing of you fellas.

Also, legacy server(s) incoming? :D
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Vanilla WoW emus have been a thing since before people used the word hipster. Its almost been a decade since I played on the first one. The desire for WoW in its earlier state isn't going anywhere.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Would be nice if this resulted in Legacy Servers...the games basically dead for me and lot of others (some 6 million to be sure).

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    WHo knows could mean legacy servers, could mean Blizzard wants to show them first hand how things are run in a real live environment,  possibly helping all understand what the problem is, as well as why they don't want to/can't do it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    You know it makes me feel utterly unclean and dirty to admit it.  But as much as i bitch about Blizzard and their Hubris.  As much as i bitch about how they ruined the genre with WoW...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and until pantheon releases, i would gladly play a vanilla WoW server because that would far and away be the closest thing to an actual MMO that would exist in the current field of games that are called MMO's now.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    If they make a pure vanilla server, I will definitely roll a couple of chars on it, most likely a Night Elf Druid and a Tauren Shaman, for old time's sake and memories, and play through it to the end.

I'd love a WotLK era server too.

But my ideal WoW server would be:
    - The world not destroyed by Cataclysm, but still flyable.
    - The pre-Cataclysm non-linear quest system.
    - The character progression of WotLK, when the talent trees were at their best.
    - The PvE/PvP progression of TBC. You could PvE with PvP gear, PvP with PvE gear, nobody was left behind, it was just great and fun, the dungeon were challenging. I'd just get rid of the complex and boring keying process.
    - All the new areas, Pandaria and Draenor included.

Will never happen of course.

So at what point in vanilla?  At release?  warlocks.   When changes were made to AV?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

SBFord said:

Kilrane said:

I'm going to personally keep expectations low, regardless of my dreams of a true vanilla server.

Hopefully something good for the community comes from this even if Blizzard doesn't necessarily offer a legal avenue to a "legacy" server.

Well said. Either way, I hope those who have so loudly and profanely abused Blizzard as some corporate monster rethink their words. It's an amazing thing they've done and my hat's off to them.

Hmm, will you still be saying that if it turns out it is a trap? Isn't piracy a criminal offense?
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I think vanilla 1.12 would be easiest to roll out for the community.

however, like jean Luc, an alternate wow would be very cool. Would love to play an alternate wow where the devs start at vanilla content with the lessons they have learned and take it wherever they want.

• HaradeasHaradeas Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Vanilla wow was great, no crappy expansions, no team finder, just old skool find a guild , clan, party by spamming the chat... 40 man raids were great.
  • NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Haradeas said:
    Vanilla wow was great, no crappy expansions, no team finder, just old skool find a guild , clan, party by spamming the chat... 40 man raids were great.

This made me laugh. It looks like a child saying everything was super awesome.  WOW was severely limited back then, 40 man raids were not *great*. Vailla wow had terrible balance issues, many classes had OP abilities. I am an average pvp player, but with my MAGE I could easily kill any warrior, no matter how good they were.

I see so many people that felt special back then trying to grab that feeling back with *illegal* private servers. It's so sad tbh, some people just can't move on ;(

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Thupli said:

however, like jean Luc, an alternate wow would be very cool. Would love to play an alternate wow where the devs start at vanilla content with the lessons they have learned and take it wherever they want.

All this at an exponentially high cost -- it's like asking Blizzard to have a separate development team to not only bring the old stuff back but to push out more content -- aka "vanilla compatible" expansions and extra content.

This is where the biggest problem is with the entire issue. While the clamor is for vanilla servers, the idea of what exactly that means is hardly unified. One group wants this; another wants that; yet another wants something else. Then there are those who, perhaps, hated vanilla but loved BC -- though there would be voices asking for this; others asking for that; still more asking for something else. Rinse and repeat for WotLK; Cata and MoP.

It's a huge tangled mess of issues. Blizzard will never make every group happy, consequently having discontented voices always being raised with this week's demand.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    odiasuda said:
    WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.
    If they announced vanilla servers, I'd resub. If they announced WotLK servers, I would not.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    It sounded like they are trying to integrate existing characters into the vanilla.  Which is why they are having such a problem.  They are famous for giving out lvl 90's with every expansion.  I hope they just buy the modified vanilla from those pirates and set it up on a server and see what happens.  I do see a lot of people saying WOTK is better and that would also be smart for them to place a poll on their forums asking which version people want in the legacy server.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Hrimnir said:
    You know it makes me feel utterly unclean and dirty to admit it.  But as much as i bitch about Blizzard and their Hubris.  As much as i bitch about how they ruined the genre with WoW...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and until pantheon releases, i would gladly play a vanilla WoW server because that would far and away be the closest thing to an actual MMO that would exist in the current field of games that are called MMO's now.
    I'd say that would be EVE. Certainly not any version of WOW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373
    *Yes yes .. bring them in , we will start it all over again ! mwahahaha beautiful moneyyyy!!!*
  • corrosivechainscorrosivechains Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Stop with the shilling, they aren't pirate servers and have never been called pirate servers before this. They are called private servers because they are privately hosted, and this goes back to Ultima Online private shards. They didn't pirate the game, these are fans of the original out of the box WoW, which pretty much all of us have purchased. The scripting and programming is all emulated, not pirated. Seriously, those who have absolutely no knowledge of basic rhetoric shouldn't attempt to use it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Stop with the shilling, they aren't pirate servers and have never been called pirate servers before this. They are called private servers because they are privately hosted, and this goes back to Ultima Online private shards. They didn't pirate the game, these are fans of the original out of the box WoW, which pretty much all of us have purchased. The scripting and programming is all emulated, not pirated. Seriously, those who have absolutely no knowledge of basic rhetoric shouldn't attempt to use it.
    Blizzard reps called them pirate servers in their communication last week. *shrugs*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    You obviously have zero knowledge on how these people run private servers. I will not discuss anything in detail but what they do, what private server developers like me did was totally illegal. We needed to gather data on every single npc, every single ability, every encounter, every script, how do you think we did that? Not by any legal way.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.