Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What PVE sandpark/sandbox MMO was a user on here talking about?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Someone on BDO forums told me to play a PvE MMO if I don't want to PvP.

Except, I can't find any sandpark/sandbox PvE mmos that aren't ancient or dead?

Ryzom - Dead, barely gets any updates. It at least still looks good
SWG - This WAS the best one, and there is a server, but its so old...
Asheron's Call - I loved this one, but its older than even SWG
Anarchy Online - Again, its so old
Ultima Online - As old as the internet itself

So out of those, only Ryzom looks good graphics wise. Except its so dead, and never updates except one or two times a year.

Can't find any modern, up to date PvE sandbox/sandpark MMOs though. Dunno what the person was talking about, but am I missing a NEW PvE sandbox/sandpark MMO that I'm not aware of?

NO THEMEPARK MMOS, thanks :)

Thanks for the help everyone :) I might just be out of touch with new PvE sandbox/sandpark MMOs. Ones without forced PvP (pvp optional is fine).

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    It doesn't currently exist.  There are a couple of indie /KS titles that might show promise, around 2018 or 19 perhaps.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Oh. I was told to play a PvE MMO since I wasn't having fun with PvP in BDO because of all the hacking lol.

2018 and 2019 is kinda a long time for something that has a good chance of not being finished.

Was the guy just trolling me then? Or did he mean for me to play one of those boring themepark PvE MMOS :(

I've been waiting for a new, up to date PvE sandpark/sandbox for ages lol. BDO has awesome PvE, but the PvP kinda ruins it for me. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't run into a group of hackers that I had no chance of killing. If I could do just PvE in BDO, that be perfect and I wouldn't care if hackers just cheated in pve, because at least it doesn't really affect me as much.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    For some reason sandbox and ffa pvp means the same thing.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    filmoret said:
    Lol  no it don't  People throw names around, and have no clue what they mean, I have a degree and been in this industry 15 years drives me nuts when people throw these words around call games like Call of Duty a MMO....  It's match making... or other games Open World...Open World Sandbox does not mean PVP....  Skyrim, is considered  Open World..     
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Why MMO?

There are several great non-MMO sandbox experiences, from the most literal sandbox (Minecraft) to a-little-less-sandbox games like Don't Starve Together and ARK (assuming there are non-laggy servers for ARK; the official servers had cripplingly bad server performance issues when I tried it, even though the gameplay seemed solid.) Some of them do border a little on tedious, and there's lots of room for improving that, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

The difference in concurrent players between an MMO and non-MMO sandbox just doesn't make any meaningful difference in how these games are experienced.  If you have 10 players grouped up doing things together, you've basically hit the peak and there's diminishing returns to the value that more players adds beyond that.  

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

filmoret said:
    Lol  no it don't  People throw names around, and have no clue what they mean, I have a degree and been in this industry 15 years drives me nuts when people throw these words around call games like Call of Duty a MMO....  It's match making... or other games Open World...Open World Sandbox does not mean PVP....  Skyrim, is considered  Open World..     
    Sandbox is suppose to give players freedom to do anything.  Which includes stealing or attacking anyone anywhere.  It should also include an environment which can be molded by the players.  Which is why sandbox mmo's don't work because you can't have everyone running around molding a world without limits.  You will build a house and really enjoy it because of sandbox I can come around and burn that house down.  Obviously you can see why this becomes a problem giving players freedom.    That is why sandbox and ffa pvp is always mingled together.  I'm not saying it should but it always does.  Look at all the sandbox online games in steam right now and they all include ffa pvp.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You might enjoy Project Gorgon. Haven't played it myself personally because I've been biding my time while they get more of the game finished and polished. Its currently in open test phase and very playable. I've heard nothing but good things outside of the fact that development is slow going.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Sandbox is find a mountain, level it or build one and put your house on any unclaimed land. But then what isn't sandbox is other players being unable to touch that stuff without proper permission from the land owner. So, that is what towers and detectives can counter.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    You could try Uncharted Waters Online.  It's not strictly PVE, as much of the oceans are free for all PVP, but there are such harsh penalties for piracy that you'll rarely get attacked by other players.  I think I got defeated in PVP three times total in about two years of playing the game, and all three were because I was careless.

UWO is about as sandbox as it gets.  Exploration and trading are each as important to the game as combat.  It originally launched in Japan in 2005, and has been steadily updated ever since.  They don't deprecate content like most MMORPGs do when they release expansions and raise the level cap, so the game has enormous amounts of content by now.

Do be warned that it's a weird game that is totally different from anything you've ever played, so there's a long learning curve to figure out how the game works.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Axehilt said:
    Why MMO?

There are several great non-MMO sandbox experiences, from the most literal sandbox (Minecraft) to a-little-less-sandbox games like Don't Starve Together and ARK (assuming there are non-laggy servers for ARK; the official servers had cripplingly bad server performance issues when I tried it, even though the gameplay seemed solid.) Some of them do border a little on tedious, and there's lots of room for improving that, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

The difference in concurrent players between an MMO and non-MMO sandbox just doesn't make any meaningful difference in how these games are experienced.  If you have 10 players grouped up doing things together, you've basically hit the peak and there's diminishing returns to the value that more players adds beyond that.  
    People like the experience of playing with others. That doenst mean it has to be killing others, but working together. Hence why Raiding (pve) is so popular.  

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Never listen to the suggestion of random forum user who is probably nothing but some 40 year old living in his mom's garage.
  • PednickPednick Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Pantheon is coming out I think in 2016 sometime and that's what I'm waiting for since it has "old school classes" which I prefer, now I'm just wasting time in Tera, which is alright, but is "anime" however you spell it, which I'm not a fan, like not at all. ;)

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I would have said the repopulation but that is on hold.  Survival games all suck to the poster that told op to play those.  Character building is important to some people.

I finally started playing ffa pvp sandbox type games as I was so tired of linear quest hub themeparks.  I was killed a lot but had some intense fun sneaking around (played darkfall uw).  No reason to worry about open world pvp if there is no risk vs reward as 99% of the open world pvp mmos are.  Get killed go to spawn point and jog back while the attacker receives nothing but negatives consequenses.  
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Not Pantheon....not yet.

BDO is good PVE for me...but the "experts" will turn you off of it. Fun for me for days now without PvP.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Istaria
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    FWIW Ultima Online was a MASSIVE PVP game. 

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    filmoret said:
    The Darkfall Effect will fade if we're patient.

I notice that many modern sandbox fans even spell and punctuate properly.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2016
    Sadly there's none and that is why I'm playing BDO for the time being. It's the closest there is, and there's karma for pking which might dissuade some people from random pking.

I hate it when people suggest you to go play a single player game. It's not the same thing.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited May 2016
    This post struck me as OP's entitlement that BDO should change their ways and make a PvE Server or something stupid like that. Make your own PvE sandbox.

If the OP is serious about finding a PvE sandbox, there is ARK which has PvE Servers and is a true sandbox for all other intents and purposes. H1Z1 has PvE servers I think. Minecraft. Even Trove is sandboxy. 

Post edited by JDis25 on
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    JDis25 said:
    This post struck me as OP's entitlement that BDO should change their ways and make a PvE Server or something stupid like that. Make your own PvE sandbox.

If the OP is serious about finding a PvE sandbox, there is ARK which has PvE Servers and is a true sandbox for all other intents and purposes. H1Z1 has PvE servers I think. Minecraft. Even Trove is sandboxy. 

Lets be real here.  There is no reason they shouldn't offer pve servers.  They can make more money from it without losing anything.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Axehilt said:
    Why MMO?

People like the experience of playing with others. That doenst mean it has to be killing others, but working together. Hence why Raiding (pve) is so popular.  
    Are you under some mistaken belief that MMO stands for "multiplayer"?  It doesn't.

It stands for "massively multiplayer online."

Every example I gave was a multiplayer game where you played with others, so your response makes absolutely no sense.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Maybe try Ascent: The Space Game?

It just formally left Early Access last month, which is a pretty important milestone to me.  The last time I tried it was a couple years ago on a Chrome browser, and the experience was pretty rough.

However, it is what you might call a "PvE sandbox".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Play Ark Survival on the pve server

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    filmoret said:
    Well sandbox implies freedom. Having a huge/hard "you can not..." above your head kinda ruins the whole freedom thing...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Does Ark have less exploits and  hacking than H1Z1 then?  H1Z1 is a good start except for all the glitchers.