Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps I should just quit?

Comments

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    watch movies online, and surf threw games on the internet and steam.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016
    I think if you have to ask this question, you already have your answer. Games aren't going to get better suited for you because someone here says keep playing them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited April 2016
    I would've thrown in the towel a long time ago if not for RP and crafting.  It's very much a genre where you just have to find something to do, rather than have it be handed to you.  The content takes too long to come to you, so you have to make the content via immersion, friends, guilds and general social experiences.  My requirements for games nowadays is:

Role Playability:  Being able to sit in chairs, lay in beds, no severe limits on text (in addition to a /say and /emote chat), ability to post emotes as well as a host of other things such as character creation, aesthetics in the amount of items you can wear, housing, character emotes (permanent ones are a plus), typical MMO movement, walking and generally anything that makes immersion easy to come by.

Guild Systems:  Housing, building things together, inventory space, systems, ways to interact and help each other, goals to reach, points to be gathered, places to be reached with one another, etc.

Focused community:  Any servers that are sections off as "RP" or games that have some requirement before entering, such as purchasing a box or having a subscription fee to cut down on kids trying to troll others just because they think its fun.  I've personally found a server to be amazing when it's full and recognized as an RP server, with the only way to get on being actually transferring (also makes gold sellers non-existent and keeps trolls away since they have to pay extra).

Crafting:  Amazing and intricate crafting systems with thousands of items, many crafts (crafts being classes in of themselves is a plus to ensure they're not just an afterthought).  System that is fun to make currency in and ways to spend massive amounts through constant updates, item introduction, complex systems requiring one another and having aspects to buy and sell.  Housing to buy, furniture to buy, ways to customize, etc.  Maxing the currency cap is a joy when the crafting system is complex with many facets to try and tackle at any given time.

Updates:  If a game frequently updates, including a lot of the little things like new outfits, emotes, hairstyles, furniture, minor system updates as well as adding more content, storyline, sidequests and much more.  The more frequent, the better with my expectations being around 3-4 months per bulky patch, and a smaller one inbetween for thing that could be released then.

Misc.:  The game focuses on a lot of little thing such as lighting, hair or clothing blowing in the wind, weather effects, and the update of such things thereof.

What it can't have is:

-World Whisper system that keeps on popping up with messages from other players or the system. 
    -Inability to ignore someone that is being disruptive.
    -Odd controls or lacking an auto-walk (not auto-pathing) feature whereby you can just press a button and it will keep on walking forward so that you may type.
    -The cash shop having more outfits than are available in game
    -Limited aesthetic options when it comes to clothes
    -Forced World PvP (no PvE server) as it limits RP to instances and emotes can take anywhere between 5-15 minutes to write, which you have to erase each time you're attacked (though virtual reality RP without typing seems to have promise when it comes to PvP)
    -Inability to set up chat controls and ignore specific portions that may annoy you (such as general chat).
    -Phasing that keeps you from playing with your friends (phasing itself is nice, but not if it restricts the social aspects of the game).

To date, there is only one game that has all of my requirements, and avoids each of my "MMO Sins".

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Distopia said:
    I think if you have to ask this question, you already have your answer. Games aren't going to get better suited for you because someone here says keep playing them.
    Not really, there might be a game I haven't tried or a different perspective of looking at it.

To date, there is only one game that has all of my requirements, and avoids each of my "MMO Sins".

And what game would that be?

imageimage

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Do you guys every get tired of talking about the same things over and over and over
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I think part of it is the player and also because how the genre has evolved over the last decade or so. I used to be able to stick with one MMO for more than a few years straight, without playing anything else. I played Asheron's Call for 2 years straight, DAoC for 3 years, WoW for 4 years and LotRO for 3 years. All without playing any other game inbetween those times. But since about 2011 I haven't been able to stick with one MMO for more than a few months at a time before I get bored with it and need to play something else.

I know part of that is me as a gamer. It's the same mechanic over and over, level a class to max level, get the best gear, rinse and repeat. But I think newer MMO's and even ones I played before have been "dummed" down over the years to make them more casual friendly and easier to play. They've pretty much taken the challenge and any choices or thinking you had to do out of these games and now they hold your hand from beginning to end. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I just play the newer MMO's like a single-player RPG.

Also F2P + Cash shops have ruined the experience for me....maybe not for all players but I hate it when there are nice things that are only obtainable with real money rather than doing something in the game. I'd rather play a monthly sub and have 100% of the content accessible through game mechanics.
  • jacker1991jacker1991 Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Good time to stop. Anyways I have something that it's even more fun. From time to time come back to this website and check out the games people are super hyped about. Wait a few months for the game to be released and a few more for the game to be considered a piece of crap. Make fun of the fanboys who claimed said game was the most amazing thing to ever be created in the history of the universe. Rinse and repeat. It is quite entertaining and it takes very little of your time.

You can start with Star Citizen if you are interested. Biggest love story we've had in a few years. The break up is going to be amazing.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Have you really given EVE a good try? 

For many it's the last chance at a more in depth gaming experience.

Trolls seem to hate it too, so one positive.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Usually when I hit the burning out on MMOs stage I change direction and go another route for awhile...I usually pick up a sports game, go sci fi, shooter, some other formula than the fantasy MMO....I expect at some point that these companies wont all try to please the exact same customer base and will get more adventuruous with their gaming approach.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Never play anything you're not having fun with.

The point of games is fun, so if it's not fun it's not worth playing.  There are too many potentially fun games out there to waste time on the bad ones.

You should be smart about it of course.  Abandoning a game too early can make you miss out on a potentially amazing experience.  I still think I might really enjoy Witcher or Dark Souls, but my early experiences in these games were kinda shaky (and in DS' case, outright boring) so I've never really invested the time to master their systems (where most of the enjoyment would be experienced.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You could take a break. That often helps.

Or you could change your play style and try something you normally don't do (e.g., PvP if you normally are a PvEer). 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    No need to start a new thread.   Just quit.

I self identify as a monkey.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    I wouldn't quit until you've at least tried BnS and BDO.

BnS is a quality traditional themepark with deep equalized 1v1 PVP.

I'm sure you know what BDO is.

Both are sufficiently different from other MMOs that they're worth a try before giving up on the genre completely.

I personally had given up on the genre for a year until I tried BnS.  I've been happily playing that daily for 6-8hours for over 3 months now.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    TaishiFox said:
    Lately I've been finding it really hard to find an MMO that keeps me wanting to play it.  Most MMOs seem pretty stale and vague and mostly all about the grind and getting the oh so uber gear and becoming more epic or whatever.. Honestly I grow tired of this crap and I've played so many games over the past decade or so its not even fun anymore.  Whats worse is I even have some of them installed on my PC and just can't be bothered to play them half the time.  Perhaps its a sign? should I just throw in the towel and be done with MMOs? Even the most recent MMOs don't grasp my interest and I don't want to sound like I'm just joining the paddy wagon here but seriously I want something new and fresh and all we seem to get is the same old stale cooky from the same old cut, sure it may look tastier but deep down its not, infact its just icky and leaves a bitter taste x.x
    Yes you should quit.

In fact, why even bother to distinguish between MMO and other games? Just play whatever is fun for you. And if games are not doing it, try tv, movie, novels, anime or whatever float you boat.

Personally, I do not agonize over if a enjoy a particular genre or not. I just look at individual entertainment products. If it sounds fun, i try it out. It is really no more complicated than that. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    So what mmo's have you tried?  And maybe you just don't like mmo's but haven't figured it out yet.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I am in a similar position. . then I spent a long time playing great single player game and then found MMOs refreshing and fun again. . then I didn't. . then I stopped playing single player games. . now I just visit here instead of playing anything :)    There are some cool games to play but mostly MMOs have gotten stale. . still giving BDO a shot despite the cheaters etc.  Nothing holds me long though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    TaishiFox said:
    Distopia said:
    Not really, there might be a game I haven't tried or a different perspective of looking at it.

How can anyone truly help you based on what you've written in the OP? There's no indication of what you like, what you don't like, what you're seeking, nor what you are not...all it is is a myopic echo of the chorus of disapproval we see day in and day out around here. No offense meant of course, if you just wanted to vent frustration over it, that's all fine and good, it just isn't much to go on to make suggestions.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Why do people feel the need to force themselves into any genre or anything else? Hell, I would love to play an MMORPG right now. But because all the offerings are not to my flavor I have just switched to other games. Even with the cheaters (which havent really affected me), I have been loving The Division. 

Frankly, these kind of threads are weird and awkward to me. "Should I, me of all people quit looking for an MMO to play? Oh please deary me talk me out of this life altering decision."

Just play something else and when an MMO comes out you want to play hop back in. This is also called speaking with your wallet.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Gdemami said:
    TaishiFox said:
    You'd be surprised how many feel that way over those who don't and that is normally influenced from the games they've played so no, its not them, its the games.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all, it is just that they do not matter. Basic statistics.

Nope, it is still them. There does not need to be a game for everyone.
    If that's the case why have MMORPG been abandoned? 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Okay OP, bye? lol
  • SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    I agree, I've felt very 'meh' towards MMOs recently. I played FFXIV since release and took a 2 month break on it between launch of expansion, then I took a 2-3 month break from MMOs recently and have turned gaming time towards playing through the solo play style of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii-U. It stil feels fairly empty though since I've grown accoustomed to the sociability of the mmo crew. 

I wanted to give BDO an honest shot (Played BnS until it was CRAZY token grind) but I couldn't get beyone the bland art style/graphics/boring combat of BDO. It's a shame too because I REALLY wanted to like it but I found myself trying to convince myself it was the game for me when it just wasn't. 

From watching the combat trailer of EQN, I was a bit excited for all the potential for that, but when I played landmark I felt so utterly underwhelmed it made my head spin, then finding out it was axed was saddening.

I will most likely be returning to FFXIV if I can get over their loving want of a token grind, though that depends if their raid content has improved from their Alex Savage 1-4 (totally not fun 3-4 turns). Which was a shame as IMO their raid tiers have always been enjoyable.

A break is required IMO. Take it then come back to something you can sink your teeth into. 

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I'm in a period that i am done with mmo's. Playing Grim Dawn, and loving Layers of fear!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    That's simple: Take a break or quit for good and find something else to do. There are so many ways to entertain yourself in today's world. We live in a world of constant entertainment.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    It's sad that a genre has such a lack of true variety.  Lack of exploiting things only MMORPG can do.  Hopefully this phase is over.