Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hacker Hunting Initiative Announced

2»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016

rodarin said:

Exactly what Trion did in Archeage, the future of this game is looking darker by the day....

That's true, but didn't it cost labor to report people? Also, Trion was really light on the bans when people were caught. I've heard Daum is too but we'll see. If even die-hard fanboys like our own LacedOpium are considering quitting over this, maybe they'll take it more seriously.

"The real issue are all the idiots who think it's funny to report non-botters/hackers and then Daum has to wade through all that nonsense. "

That's true, and so far Daum has not shown to have much manpower for CS. Maybe they'll hire more people.

In any case, this announcement is some kind of response. In BnS, we have not received the same pleasure yet, and people have been hacking/botting in BnS for much longer.

I wish William Murphy would reach out to NcWest regarding the hacking in BnS, too. Looks like in this instance he actually weighed in on their decision process.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Worked OK with ESO as I recall.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I find it funny as soon as i clicked this thread my anti virus popped up lol.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited April 2016
    Ozmodan said:
    Reizla said:

Leiloni said:

On the one hand the idea of getting the community involved sounds smart, but on the other it just feels desperate, from a company that was well aware of the issues many months prior to launch and did nothing.

No, not desperate... WE the players are the ones who see bots/hackers/exploiters much faster than the GMs do in the logs. And unlike most companies where you can report bots/hackers/exploiters and it'll take like forever for the GMs to respond or even to ban that player, DAUM tells us that they will ACTIVELY respond to our reports. And on top of that we get a small reward as well (haven't seen any publisher do that yet).
    Sorry but the naivete in your post just made me chuckle.  Sure you will get the kids who are blatant about it, but what about the smart ones who just turn the hacking up a little?  How are you going to note that it was a hack over skill that killed you?  Right, you can't and since this is essentially a pvp game, Daum's suggestion is just a complete waste of effort.

You can't ban someone because you think they are cheating, it has to be very obvious and with no server side tools to detect the nonflagrant ones, you are relying on a visual identification only.  

Have fun in the game, but forget the pvp, you will always be on the bottom looking up.  Since the end game is pvp we all know how that will go.  
    plus what about all the carebears running around complaining about "that guy" that has been killin him or his mates over n over ..they are sick of it and cant do nothing about cuz they blow in pvp and just wanna farm ...so they roll out tickets saying the pvp player or players are "hacking" ...if the devs / company cant tell..well wtf..the game is lost imo ..no turning back and its sounding more n more that they dont want to spend the money that their making to better their own title..

also ppl gotta realize that this is a korean mmorpg..sooner than not they will do what ALOT of their titles do..cut their losses or gains and recycle the next one to come out...or not dump recourses into the american version because alot / most of the americans that are playing BDO want a totally diff game thats not pvp centric..if they were smart they would roll out a farmville2.0 since theres sooo many BDO ppl that love going afk fishing and building chairs n stuff for their house all day...

ppl can say all day till their blue in the face that im wrong but most of the ppl playing BDO / these forums are "doing it wrong" in BDO..but to each their own

You wouldn't last 2min in a full loot PvP game with actual risk vs reward.  I love the "PvP" crowd that doesn't have the guts to really put time and effort/risk vs reward on the line.  This coming from a primarily PvE player whom has played the games you are too scared to.  Keep ripping on BDO farmers, you are just as risk averse as they are.

There is no reason to PvP in BDO currently.  Maybe eventually there will be a reason.  This is a first step against the hackers, but there had better be some bigger changes from PA/Daum coming soon.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     I've been doing pretty much nothing but world bosses the last few days and haven't seen one person hacking that I could report. At this point I doubt I'll even be able to participate in this event. I've seen people play the blame game in chat, but who knows if the person they were fighting was really hacking without video. 

So far, from the forum posts and footage I've seen it looks like much of the hacking is happening on Croxus, Jordine, and Edan, I've seen a few reports for Orwen/Uno, but nothing like the other 3 where entire guilds were banned already. 

This isn't the best solution we could hope for that's for sure, but as the community becomes more aware, and vigilant about capturing hacks with video and reporting, I'm sure these hacks will pop up less and less over the next week.  Preferably I'd like to see Xigncode actually be worth a damn, but that's another story. 

TLDR: Not the best way to handle this, but it's a decent start. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They do realize even with this its not gonna fix the real problem of it still being client side....
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I wouldn't know what I'd be looking for to be honest. I'm usually too busy doing my own thing to notice.
  • ApexDescendApexDescend Member UncommonPosts: 27
    as long as they dont only rely on us finding the hackers its just another tool to find them. its better having this then not having this.

now ofcourse, this is one of those "PR" smoke and mirrors that makes the player feels like he's in charge. nothing different than supermarkets putting the more expensive products on the middle shelf where we look more often. we arent massively complaining about that either.

blocking out hackers completely is impossible. we knew this from the start so lets not pretend it finally hit us. row with whatever paddles we are provided. saying you quit the game and looking down upon people that don't is just rediculous >.<
  • ApexDescendApexDescend Member UncommonPosts: 27
    edited April 2016

Personally I think this is a terrible idea. The community is going to police the community? No one honestly thinks this is only going to be used to report people suspected of hacking do they? This will be abused and create a whole new set of issues. Bad idea. We shall see how long it lasts.

take it with a grain of salt, we really arent in charge
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    So basically we are being asked to do their jobs for them now and clean up this mess? No thanks. All this is going to is waste time with a lot of false reports and possible bans on legit players. They are using the Archeage playbook and it will end up the same way..... failure. No more Korean grindtastic RNG shitfest MMO's please.
  • tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited April 2016
    Oh well for the lack of anything else I really enjoy at the moment I'll keep playing and see how this all turns out . I don't think I will be buying anything in the cash shop in case the game does become a mess and I quit sometime in the not too distant future .

If I only get several months gameplay out of Black Desert its no big loss really because its quite low priced and if I brought a single player game for a similar price I probably wouldn't have got much more out of it .
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Well all I can say is I am impressed by BDO response to anything in their game! It seems to me that they are actuality active and willing to fix problems, and or respond to the players. I have played game where I have reported problems and never hear a thing from the GM or CM, or anyone, so I think this is a big plus.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I don't know why people are so negative about it.
    At least they are trying something, unlike other companies which pretend it's not an issue.

How many times we suggested that the game companies let the Players help them getting rid of bots?
    Now that a company finally decides is not such a bad idea, people say they are desperate.
    Go figure.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2016
    Personally I think this is a terrible idea. The community is going to police the community? No one honestly thinks this is only going to be used to report people suspected of hacking do they? This will be abused and create a whole new set of issues. Bad idea. We shall see how long it lasts.

Ever heard of "community based policing?"

No police force can, or will, ever be effective without the help of the community.  This is just one measure that they are rolling out in their effort to combat hackers and cheaters. It's not a "be all end all" in that effort, and they have made that perfectly clear.

While true that it will not catch all hackers and cheaters, it does serve as a deterrent.  Preventive measures are a major factor in the containment and deterrence of crime/malicious acts.  Any measure, no matter how small, that can be implemented to combat against nefarious acts is a step in the right direction.  If this event discourages even one would-be hacker or cheater from buying any of these hacking and cheat programs, and engaging in hacking or cheating in the game, then the event will have been well worth it.  

I bet many, even some in this very thread speaking against this event, that may have either already engaged in, or thought about engaging in, hacking and cheating in BDO may/will now discontinue, or at least think twice, about engaging in hacking and cheating based on this announcement alone.  That's a good thing.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  Some people find a reason to complain about every damned thing.
    Post edited by LacedOpium on
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I love these "lets make the community do the work for.us" kind of initiative. And people cheeeeeeeer at this sort of crap lol. People love being used and i cant have enough laughter out of it every time it happens. Soon youll be flipping your own burgers at mcds and youll love it lol