Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirate Server Admins Invited to Blizzard Campus

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

waynejr2 said:

odiasuda said:

WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.

Wotlk was where the game turned for me.  Vanilla and TBC are great then it starts going down hill.  Let's not even bring up cata.

I started playing WoW 4 years after it released. I didn't buy WotLK until the final THe Lich King himself was able to be fought. WotLK is by far the best expansion they ever had.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    tawess said:

There's little to no chance Legion will be their last expansion.  They still aren't in maintenance mode for WOW.  D3 on the other hand is unlikely to get an expansion and some key devs have quit or moved to WOW.
    My bad.. is was unclear. I meant that the expansion after Legion might very well be the last. And once that is done they might look at developing a vanilla servers as WoW in essence will be in maint mode. 
    Last blizzcon Blizzard said next expansion is already being worked on and the story board for the one after that is already finished. So one way or the other we will have at least 2 more expansion.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

waynejr2 said:
    odiasuda said:
    WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.

Wotlk was where the game turned for me.  Vanilla and TBC are great then it starts going down hill.  Let's not even bring up cata.
      Iam pretty much sure if we now start a petition for a cataclysm legacy server we would get over 100K sign.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

filmoret said:
    I'm fairly certain they are trying to come to an agreement.  I bet they want the nost game.
    Nost game? what the hell is that? You think nostashit just used their own code and such for their server? No they did not! It is the accumulation of thousands of people and million hours of man hour, people who worked before them to complete a database for vanilla wow, along with tbc and wotlk. People dote on these 3 iterations of WoW so they have been the most worked on. The time i was working on a vanilla 1.12.1 private server we had over 2000 people actively working on the emulator and the database. People who came before nostashit put their work on public source code saving sites like sourceforge and such. nostashit just copied from where the others left off before they were shut down by blizzard too. It is amusing to see these vultures who used content thousands of people like me worked on to develop getting this much support and credit. Worked 2 years on a server, not going to give you embellished shit data like them, we had 10K unique players playing regularly, i was kicked out of project because i was in the support of UDB and pristine blizzard parameters for UDB and soon after blizzard shut down the server because one of the fools asked for donations on forums..

• SpiraldeathSpiraldeath Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Personally i would prefer to see a TBC server.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Personally i would prefer to see a TBC server.
    Be cool to have a server for every Xpack so everyone can play their favorite.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    It does sound rather like the classic Free Prizes sting. (a.k.a. Get Them To Extradite Themselves)

:: paranoia will destroya ::
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I'd just love to have to put work into getting gear again, in vanilla getting a blue item was not common and an epic almost never happened, I grinded the dragons in azshara for the blue bow for weeks and got it, ran ZulGrub every week for months and months to get the ZG bow. My server had a Horde guild who would constantly raid Alliance city's by training world bosses to them, good time I hope to see again. Remove Flying mounts, Crossrealm, make gear epic again and leveling take time.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    tis is just media trick to fool players. tis is all part of legion preorder boosting. they not gonna give vanilla servers.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

odiasuda said:

i guess u never played vanilla wow. pvp in vanilla was EPIC, it was huge war 200v200. and no it was not pvp balanced but its feeled more;mage beat warrior,warrior beat rogue,rogue beat mage....
    i liked that.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

waynejr2 said:

odiasuda said:

People really didnt play vanilla. It was great. Oh you wana be retri paladin? Inta kick. Wanna be Druid? Insta kick. Want to OPVP? It sucks so bad id died instantly when battlegrounds opened doors.

People are so much nostalgic it borders altzheimer.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Jermzy said:
    I can see negotiations going smoothly until blizz says that there will be a subscription for the new server.
    IF, and that's IF Blizzard will open vanilla server(s) , I am pretty sure that having an active subscription for "current" WoW , will give you access to Vanilla too! So 2 "games" for 1 subscription.

That makes sense. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    At this point I don't think Blizzard has a choice.  They will put up legacy servers because the pr is getting ugly.  Knowing it will probably flop they are being forced.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    tawess said:

@SedrynTyros Well.. Going by the regular dev cycle of WoW stuff the next expansion will be started already so you got another... 3-4ish years before there is a spot to implement a proper deployment of a blizz sanctioned classic server. Then it need to be done..so add another year or so at least. 

Assuming you're not yanking my chain, your estimate exists only in your mind and nowhere else.  They either have the original code, in which case they port it to their existing infrastructure, or they don't.  If they don't have the code, there's no way they're going to recreate it from scratch.  That would require way too much investment for them to even consider it.  In that fictional scenario, then yes it would require several years no doubt, but they wouldn't even consider doing that so it's not worth talking about.  It's going to be either port the old code or license a 3rd party.  There's no 4 to 5 year scenario.

If the original developers aren't incompetent boobs (and I'm going to assume that they aren't because the original game was amazing), then they still have the old code.
    Not yanking your chain at all. We know for a fact that the code is not plug and play ready (they said so them self.) So all in all i´d give the time needed to get things up and running about the same as an average expansion. And we know that work on the next one has started if there is to be another one seeing as Legion is more or less gold at this point. So that would put any major time/developer investment in to a "classic server at the end of the next expansion cycle.

But Tawess moronic amoeba you say... even then what will take such long time. 

Now beyond plugging the actual boxes in they do need to go through a lot of the old assets to make sure it is not broken and patch any thing that is. This take time, especially of you have a smaller team (because f they are not making a full expansion they expect less return on the money spent and that means shifting parts of the team to other projects like HoTS and Overwatch.) so that is why i do not see the time investment change much from a regular expansion. 

Now ofc they could have been lying out their collective arses and if so i grant you it might just take a year or so to get this up and running. 

This have been a good conversation

• tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I wonder if the pristine servers would offer what is tantamount to an advanced mode WoW ?

I would certainly be tempted back by either pristine or legacy servers ( or hopefully both ) to see what they were like for a month or two .

If they were any good I might even return to WoW full time ( hell must be freezing over because that is something I never thought I would say )
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    If they make a pure vanilla server, I will definitely roll a couple of chars on it, most likely a Night Elf Druid and a Tauren Shaman, for old time's sake and memories, and play through it to the end.

I'd love a WotLK era server too.

But my ideal WoW server would be:
    - The world not destroyed by Cataclysm, but still flyable.
    - The pre-Cataclysm non-linear quest system.
    - The character progression of WotLK, when the talent trees were at their best.
    - The PvE/PvP progression of TBC. You could PvE with PvP gear, PvP with PvE gear, nobody was left behind, it was just great and fun, the dungeon were challenging. I'd just get rid of the complex and boring keying process.
    - All the new areas, Pandaria and Draenor included.

Will never happen of course.
    And people wonder why Blizzard drags its collective heels. They will never be able to accommodate all of the "I want this...but not that..." types. It's like opening the floodgates. LOL :dizzy: 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited April 2016
    SBFord said:
    Kilrane said:
    I'm going to personally keep expectations low, regardless of my dreams of a true vanilla server.

Hopefully something good for the community comes from this even if Blizzard doesn't necessarily offer a legal avenue to a "legacy" server.
    Well said. Either way, I hope those who have so loudly and profanely abused Blizzard as some corporate monster rethink their words. It's an amazing thing they've done and my hat's off to them.
    There are a fair number of people that harbor a jealously of others success so deeply that they make it their life's mission to attack anyone ( and yes corporations are made up of people not artificial constructs ) that has managed to accomplish more in life than keeping a roof over their head and their belly full.  Heck some people are jealous of others that have managed to accomplish only that.

Peoples memory's are pretty short about what Blizzard has done with their company over the past 5 years, they are anything but the monster under the bed that people have created in their own heads.

They have reverted their "cash" auction house in Diablo
    They paid what 8 billion in cash to get out from under Vivendia's control
    Cancelled a project they invested MILLIONS in because in just wasn't up to the standards of the company
    Just to name a few things.

And Blizzard doesn't need to "hire" these guys to run a vanilla server, that would be idiotic fantasy land stuff.    If Blizzard wants to run a Vanilla server they will do it no one else, that's the way it should be done.

You know why they invited them up there?  Because Blizzard is run by cool people, that's why, and they know why those guys opened that server, FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME, THEIR GAME. And they can understand and appreciate that.

Bllizzard haters go take your torches and pitchforks somewhere else I say!
    Stizzled said:
    filmoret said:
    I'm fairly certain they are trying to come to an agreement.  I bet they want the nost game.
    Nost game? what the hell is that? You think nostashit just used their own code and such for their server? No they did not! It is the accumulation of thousands of people and million hours of man hour, people who worked before them to complete a database for vanilla wow, along with tbc and wotlk. People dote on these 3 iterations of WoW so they have been the most worked on. The time i was working on a vanilla 1.12.1 private server we had over 2000 people actively working on the emulator and the database. People who came before nostashit put their work on public source code saving sites like sourceforge and such. nostashit just copied from where the others left off before they were shut down by blizzard too. It is amusing to see these vultures who used content thousands of people like me worked on to develop getting this much support and credit. Worked 2 years on a server, not going to give you embellished shit data like them, we had 10K unique players playing regularly, i was kicked out of project because i was in the support of UDB and pristine blizzard parameters for UDB and soon after blizzard shut down the server because one of the fools asked for donations on forums..
    Can't be, haven't you been reading these forums? According to several posters all the code was stolen directly from Blizzard. /sarcasm

My personal opinion on what Blizzard wants out of this is just to string Nost along and prevent them from following their original plan of releasing the work they have done on MaNGOS as well as the character data. There are several teams just waiting for them to do so.

Even if Blizzard are starting to entertain the idea of legacy servers they aren't going to give two shits about MaNGOS, and that's where the Nost team's expertise lies. What they want is to score some goodwill from the community by talking with these guys and slowly disarming the situation, all the while hoping to delay or fully prevent another team from picking up all of Nost's data and restarting the server in a "fuck you, Blizzard" country.
    WoW is blizzard's game. Without the game there is no private server. So yes, what we did was outright stealing Blizzard's intellectual property. Whether we made money or not was and still now, irrelevant. I can't go into detail what we did to make out server, we did what everyone else was doing back then, it is outright illegal.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    edited April 2016
    I'm of two minds on this.

A: It could be a genuine good thing. They invite them to Blizzard to show them around and ask questions on how they did it, perhaps really intrigued and bring them on. Maybe a show of good faith.

B: This is a bad thing. And what they are doing are settling this thing out of court, putting on a mask of something good, but behind the doors, having the lawyers there, telling them they are to sign something saying they are NEVER going to do this again, and if they do, they will have the full effect of the law brought down upon them.

• Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    What i fear may happen is instead of giving people what they are asking for Blizzard will go through with the "pristine realm" idea, which sounds utterly pointless. I dont want WOD with more grinding, i want old WoW! No DKs, no Monks none of the new abilities or raids etc...
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    If I say I was part of the pirate team (arrrrrgggh) can I get a tour of Blizz? :chuffed: 
    We don't know how Nostalrius  were accomplishing what they were doing. But how ever they were doing it, Blizzard is showing that they don't see it as a disrespectful criminal act.
    In the official Blizzard letter, the server and others like it were termed "pirate" which is why that term is used. However, your point is valid that, while using the term, it may not have been perceived as hyperbolic as it sounds. After all, and I'm going to keep saying it, this is not about sides. This is about a spectrum of players, each enjoying different aspects of the same game -- despite allegations that they're not the same. At the core, no matter your "era", it is WoW and WoW is what we all love.
    I don't think this issue is just about sides... it's about ownership.  The notion that you bought a game because you wanted to be able to play it, for life.  I mean, people fire up their old game of Tetris because they still have it and it still runs on their system.  Why can we continue to play that game and not vanilla WoW?  That is where the contention arises.  The fact that the game you bought and the game you are allowed to play are not the same.  I can continue to play Tetris, I cannot continue to play vanilla WoW.  Hosted software should go public domain once it has been altered to a state that doesn't resemble the original version, especially if the vendor no longer wishes to host it or sell it. 

I don't like leased software... I like the idea that I can use the software that I bought for as long as I have a machine capable of running it.  I don't expect the vendor to support it beyond a certain point, I just expect to be able to continue to use it.

I think at the very least, players should be able to play the games they paid for... that's how it always used to be.  Leased anything is a snake oil salesman's wet dream.  
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kr3sen said:
    What i fear may happen is instead of giving people what they are asking for Blizzard will go through with the "pristine realm" idea, which sounds utterly pointless. I dont want WOD with more grinding, i want old WoW! No DKs, no Monks none of the new abilities or raids etc...
    Yeah, the "Pristine Realms" sounds more like the EQ Classic Servers, they are not like the real thing (Project 1999 is)
    I want the same Vanilla mechanics, not just the original world with slower leveling.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Pepeq said:
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    If I say I was part of the pirate team (arrrrrgggh) can I get a tour of Blizz? :chuffed: 
    We don't know how Nostalrius  were accomplishing what they were doing. But how ever they were doing it, Blizzard is showing that they don't see it as a disrespectful criminal act.
    In the official Blizzard letter, the server and others like it were termed "pirate" which is why that term is used. However, your point is valid that, while using the term, it may not have been perceived as hyperbolic as it sounds. After all, and I'm going to keep saying it, this is not about sides. This is about a spectrum of players, each enjoying different aspects of the same game -- despite allegations that they're not the same. At the core, no matter your "era", it is WoW and WoW is what we all love.
    I don't think this issue is just about sides... it's about ownership.  The notion that you bought a game because you wanted to be able to play it, for life.  I mean, people fire up their old game of Tetris because they still have it and it still runs on their system.  Why can we continue to play that game and not vanilla WoW?  That is where the contention arises.  The fact that the game you bought and the game you are allowed to play are not the same.  I can continue to play Tetris, I cannot continue to play vanilla WoW.  Hosted software should go public domain once it has been altered to a state that doesn't resemble the original version, especially if the vendor no longer wishes to host it or sell it. 

I don't like leased software... I like the idea that I can use the software that I bought for as long as I have a machine capable of running it.  I don't expect the vendor to support it beyond a certain point, I just expect to be able to continue to use it.

I think at the very least, players should be able to play the games they paid for... that's how it always used to be.  Leased anything is a snake oil salesman's wet dream.  
    I would say the example you bring up isn't apples to apples. Tetris is a stand alone game whereas a mmo is an ever evolving media, and you know this upon purchase. All MMOs undergo changes and evolve over time, this is nothing new. When you purchase a mmo you are basically paying for access to the game, and not the game itself. Whereas a stand alone product like Tetris you know going in what you get is what you get, and it most likely isn't going to change. 

Additionally, I completely disagree with your assessment that old software should become public domain. Companies have a right to have 100% control over the IP's that they own. If they decide to release the code themselves into public domain, that's their decision. However, it's also their right to withhold access. This is especially true when the product in question is still being actively supported. It may not be supported in a way you agree with, but it's still being supported. 

I do feel like Blizzard should release some version of Legacy servers. I don't think their idea of the Pristine server is really all that interesting. They could probably come up with something in between pure legacy and the pristine server idea and it could be a way to breathe some new life into the older versions of the game. Hell, I think an alternate reality server would be interesting. Where things like 2 handed shaman are a thing, but they have some of the new abilities of the current shaman, just made to work with 2 handers. A reality where the horde didn't invade ashenvale, but rather had the night elves join the horde and the forsaken are part of the alliance because the humans have sympathy and shared anger for what happened to Lorderon.

Of course, this is all probably just a pipe dream.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    All these cries for a vanilla server are nothing more than a hipster summer fling. Give it a year no one will care about this vanilla thing or remember the nostalrius-affair. Just another hipster thing because even amongst nerds is cool to be "classic" lol

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    All these cries for a vanilla server are nothing more than a hipster summer fling. Give it a year no one will care about this vanilla thing or remember the nostalrius-affair. Just another hipster thing because even amongst nerds is cool to be "classic" lol

All that time I spent on Nostalrius having the best time of my gaming life... turns out I was just a hipster!! OMG what have I become?!!!