Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hacker Hunting Initiative Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageHacker Hunting Initiative Announced

Black Desert Online is giving players a chance to take part first hand in the effort to hunt down hackers and cheats in the game. A new post on the BDO forum has announced the "Hacker Hunting Initiative" that gives players the opportunity to report bots, hackers and "disruptive hackers" (i.e. griefers). The reward? Elion's Tears and GM's Blessings.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited April 2016
    On the one hand the idea of getting the community involved sounds smart, but on the other it just feels desperate, from a company that was well aware of the issues many months prior to launch and did nothing.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Hrm...they must have some good excess of resources to waste them on something so inefficient as this.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    great ..ppl reporting ppl for griefing / pvping ..a element of the very game that they made and based upon..this game has gone down the crapper rather quick..cant say i told ya so..buuuut..but hey keep faith in that "carebear" poll on their forums , gluck!
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Leiloni said:

On the one hand the idea of getting the community involved sounds smart, but on the other it just feels desperate, from a company that was well aware of the issues many months prior to launch and did nothing.

Thing is I'm kinda thinking Daum can do nothing to fix it; it's up to Pearl Abyss at this point. Whether they knew this was gonna be a problem, who knows? At least they seem responsive now lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The usual PR smoke-and-mirrors.

They have to be seen to do something, of course. Either fix the technical shortcomings, or go on a PR offensive. No prizes for guessing which option they'll run with... :D 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

great ..ppl reporting ppl for griefing / pvping ..a element of the very game that they made and based upon..this game has gone down the crapper rather quick..cant say i told ya so..buuuut..but hey keep faith in that "carebear" poll on their forums , gluck!

hmmm that's not how I read it. They are talking about people who are attacking you using hacks.

I think "hacks" is the key word here.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Well played Daum.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Leiloni said:

No, not desperate... WE the players are the ones who see bots/hackers/exploiters much faster than the GMs do in the logs. And unlike most companies where you can report bots/hackers/exploiters and it'll take like forever for the GMs to respond or even to ban that player, DAUM tells us that they will ACTIVELY respond to our reports. And on top of that we get a small reward as well (haven't seen any publisher do that yet).
  • CaeruleiCaerulei Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Let the headhunting commence! A great idea on Daum's side, and very reasonable. Just because something is happening in a game, does not mean the devs are these almighty gods that see all. There is a lot of player data to sift through (like Library of Congress amount of information), and in many ways it is impossible to find hackers without players reporting them.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Reizla said:

Leiloni said:

No, not desperate... WE the players are the ones who see bots/hackers/exploiters much faster than the GMs do in the logs. And unlike most companies where you can report bots/hackers/exploiters and it'll take like forever for the GMs to respond or even to ban that player, DAUM tells us that they will ACTIVELY respond to our reports. And on top of that we get a small reward as well (haven't seen any publisher do that yet).
    Sorry but the naivete in your post just made me chuckle.  Sure you will get the kids who are blatant about it, but what about the smart ones who just turn the hacking up a little?  How are you going to note that it was a hack over skill that killed you?  Right, you can't and since this is essentially a pvp game, Daum's suggestion is just a complete waste of effort.

You can't ban someone because you think they are cheating, it has to be very obvious and with no server side tools to detect the nonflagrant ones, you are relying on a visual identification only.  

Have fun in the game, but forget the pvp, you will always be on the bottom looking up.  Since the end game is pvp we all know how that will go.  
    Sovrath said:

hmmm that's not how I read it. They are talking about people who are attacking you using hacks.

read the part where it says "disruptive hackers" ( i.e griefers )  <-- unless he's mean ppl that are "hacking" while pvping ..he didnt elaborate
    Sovrath said:

read the part where it says "disruptive hackers" ( i.e griefers )  <-- unless he's mean ppl that are "hacking" while pvping ..he didnt elaborate
    I did read that part. Griefers as a word doesn't imply hacking.

the addition of "disruptive hackers" along with griefers implies people who are griefing by disrupting another's play with "hacks".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I really like the idea. We'll see if it works.
    Ozmodan said:
    Reizla said:

Leiloni said:

Sorry but the naivete in your post just made me chuckle.  Sure you will get the kids who are blatant about it, but what about the smart ones who just turn the hacking up a little?  How are you going to note that it was a hack over skill that killed you?  Right, you can't and since this is essentially a pvp game, Daum's suggestion is just a complete waste of effort.

You can't ban someone because you think they are cheating, it has to be very obvious and with no server side tools to detect the nonflagrant ones, you are relying on a visual identification only.  

Have fun in the game, but forget the pvp, you will always be on the bottom looking up.  Since the end game is pvp we all know how that will go.  
    plus what about all the carebears running around complaining about "that guy" that has been killin him or his mates over n over ..they are sick of it and cant do nothing about cuz they blow in pvp and just wanna farm ...so they roll out tickets saying the pvp player or players are "hacking" ...if the devs / company cant tell..well wtf..the game is lost imo ..no turning back and its sounding more n more that they dont want to spend the money that their making to better their own title..

also ppl gotta realize that this is a korean mmorpg..sooner than not they will do what ALOT of their titles do..cut their losses or gains and recycle the next one to come out...or not dump recourses into the american version because alot / most of the americans that are playing BDO want a totally diff game thats not pvp centric..if they were smart they would roll out a farmville2.0 since theres sooo many BDO ppl that love going afk fishing and building chairs n stuff for their house all day...

ppl can say all day till their blue in the face that im wrong but most of the ppl playing BDO / these forums are "doing it wrong" in BDO..but to each their own

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Interesting. So after I get beat down, I can report the person who did it. How are they going to know if that person hacked or not? Check some log files or database? Then why not check it now?

Or, if they can't independently verify that person was hacking, what are they going to do?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Every single report of alleged hacking has to be verified by a GM of course, which takes many manhours. Many of the bans will be contested, and the resulting correspondence will take more CS manhours.

Let's hope there aren't too many hackers, else this could all take quite a while. I'm sure I've seen a few complaints about Daum's CS being awfully slow. I guess it's about to get a lot worse, lol
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    olepi said:
    Interesting. So after I get beat down, I can report the person who did it. How are they going to know if that person hacked or not? Check some log files or database? Then why not check it now?

Or, if they can't independently verify that person was hacking, what are they going to do?
    You need to submit a video of it happening.  Read the article before making assumptions.

You could submit a video of some random guy ganking you, but it won't get them banned.  I'm assuming the evidence is going to have be very clear to ban anybody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Cheecher2Cheecher2 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited April 2016

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/PxueGid.png

script kiddies can now frame legit players by changing other players name to whatever they like and report the wrong person to get it banned. So watch out for falsely bans.

Cheecher2 said:

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/PxueGid.png

Hackers can now frame legit players by changing other players name to whatever they like and report the wrong person to get it banned. So watch out for falsely bans.

Priceless ! :D 
    Personally I think this is a terrible idea. The community is going to police the community? No one honestly thinks this is only going to be used to report people suspected of hacking do they? This will be abused and create a whole new set of issues. Bad idea. We shall see how long it lasts.
    The idea is that the community brings certain instances with a certain degree of proof. That's what the quote says.

All players are going to do is flag things.

The real issue are all the idiots who think it's funny to report non-botters/hackers and then Daum has to wade through all that nonsense.

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    WTF do you guys want a few days ago people were bitching that reporting people did nothing and now it is a total about face. They are asking you to report and you are bitching.

Just like you will bitch when they institute server side checks. You know they did it in ESO and there has been no end to the bitching that PVP is so laggy that everyone has quit. Pick your poison. I played eso with their server side checks that still allowed for different types of exploits and now am trying BDO. Who knows maybe they will come up with something. But I would really like an example of a MMO that had massive PVP battles that doesn't have either lag or punishing hacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Exactly what Trion did in Archeage, the future of this game is looking darker by the day....
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Lol, one dumb move after another.