Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirate Server Admins Invited to Blizzard Campus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imagePirate Server Admins Invited to Blizzard Campus

According to a Twitter post from the admins of the now-closed pirate server Nostalrius, the group has been invited to Blizzard's headquarters this coming weekend.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jovan021jovan021 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    It's A Trap!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    jovan021 said:
    It's A Trap!
    LOL -- without regarding the issue at all beyond Blizz calling it a "pirate server", my thought was that the FBI / CIA / LETTERGROUPOFCHOICE would be waiting outside twirling cuffs on their fingers. :dizzy:

Regardless, it's a big 'something' and should be interesting to keep an eye on through the weekend. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I am sure this is a good sign ... Shows that maybe the guys with a shoestring budget and heart can do what the Pros say the cannot do.
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    The times are a changing! I gotta salute Blizz for this, and I have faith that the Nost team will represent Vanilla players with class, as they have through this entire ordeal.

Allow Nostalrius to reopen, or release official Vanilla servers. I'm fine with either option.
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    I'm going to personally keep expectations low, regardless of my dreams of a true vanilla server.

Hopefully something good for the community comes from this even if Blizzard doesn't necessarily offer a legal avenue to a "legacy" server.
    Kilrane said:
    I'm going to personally keep expectations low, regardless of my dreams of a true vanilla server.

Hopefully something good for the community comes from this even if Blizzard doesn't necessarily offer a legal avenue to a "legacy" server.
    Well said. Either way, I hope those who have so loudly and profanely abused Blizzard as some corporate monster rethink their words. It's an amazing thing they've done and my hat's off to them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I would so ask a Blizzard rep to come visit me, in a neutral country, with no extradition treaties.

I would think even flying into the country and walking through an airport, I would have my doubts about even getting to collecting your suitcases stage. 

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    SBFord said:
    Kilrane said:

Well said. Either way, I hope those who have so loudly and profanely abused Blizzard as some corporate monster rethink their words. It's an amazing thing they've done and my hat's off to them.
    yea over the years i have talked my share of trash about WoW but i gotta give credit where credit is due.even if nothing comes of it good job blizz for at the very least being willing to have a sit down with them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I can see negotiations going smoothly until blizz says that there will be a subscription for the new server.
    Haroo!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I would still prefer a wow expansion that signals a step back towards the ways of the old game (open world leveling as opposed to queue spamming, talent trees to theory craft with, etc)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:
    Kilrane said:

There are a few who should rethink their words from both sides.

I've always believed that Blizzard would act in a much more intelligent and respectful manner than what some so called investors professed.

Blizzard has shown in the past that they are capable of listening and changing directions away from bad idea.s

I'm looking at you D3

If Blizzard allowed for Fan run Vanilla Servers, I would instantly pre-order Legion and resub to WoW to show my appreciation for what would be an absolutely First Class move.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    odiasuda said:
    WoW vanilla wasn't great - not sure why people would want it. Now a WotLK server would be awesomesaucez.

Maybe it wasn't great to you. But for me, Vanilla WoW is the best MMO ever made.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited April 2016
    Ive been wanting a 'vanilla' Hearthstone for months!= how come i wasnt invited then!!!?bring back physical cards back!!!...

yah... my point= pointless pacifying fanbois who cant conform to change on an old mmo to bring in a new generation of players.

moving along now... bottomline- they were using stuff own by blizzard illegally- end of story.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    They are going to serve them subpoenas to appear in court when they show up.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    edited April 2016
    image Please... Come in...
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    If I say I was part of the pirate team (arrrrrgggh) can I get a tour of Blizz? :chuffed: 
    We don't know how Nostalrius  were accomplishing what they were doing. But how ever they were doing it, Blizzard is showing that they don't see it as a disrespectful criminal act.

Theft of and infringement of code etc. might not apply in the situation. (I have no idea)

A court challenge regarding this type of issue could be very a costly in its decision. It can be a roll of the dice that might not go your way.  It might be more productive and safe to work it out in a way that serves your best interests.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    As I said in another post. I would hire them and put them in charge of a vanilla server. Hopefully this invite is to have a look at them and determine if they are worthy. :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Yup hire them and then charge money for the servers .Win Win for Blizzard.
    Chamber of Chains
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    All I ask is for a WotLK server.
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    If I say I was part of the pirate team (arrrrrgggh) can I get a tour of Blizz? :chuffed: 
    We don't know how Nostalrius  were accomplishing what they were doing. But how ever they were doing it, Blizzard is showing that they don't see it as a disrespectful criminal act.
    In the official Blizzard letter, the server and others like it were termed "pirate" which is why that term is used. However, your point is valid that, while using the term, it may not have been perceived as hyperbolic as it sounds. After all, and I'm going to keep saying it, this is not about sides. This is about a spectrum of players, each enjoying different aspects of the same game -- despite allegations that they're not the same. At the core, no matter your "era", it is WoW and WoW is what we all love.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I am sure this is a good sign ... Shows that maybe the guys with a shoestring budget and heart can do what the Pros say the cannot do.
    To be fair... the Nossy server was working minimum viable product mode even at the best of times... No disrespect because it is a massive workload to get it even there. 

Blizzard would need to have their service working at AAA level... So it does not really compare. 

But it is still interesting to see what comes out of this... I could see them setting something up for the time after the expansion that will come after Legion.. that i guess will be the last. So maybe 4-6 years away. 

Maybe... 

This have been a good conversation

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Blizz: We've got a crazy idea. We'll let you run your pirate... I mean private.... servers and all you have to do is pay us $15 per user, per month. In return we will host your private server on our servers, set up your group with cubicles co-located with our developers, and we will pay you an hourly wage for doing your work. Deal?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Jermzy said:

I can see negotiations going smoothly until blizz says that there will be a subscription for the new server.

Blizzard would have charged a fee anyway. If they just host the vanilla servers for Nostalrius and take a fee off the top, still a win. They are protecting their IP, get paid, and players will put up or shut up.

If they do, watch out any other private servers.. They will definitely come after you then.