Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial Kickstarter Tiers from IRC

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    blur13 said:
    The Internet is such a bizarre place, I swear. People running around talking more about the things they hate than the things they like. It's kind of mental behaviour when you sit back and think about it. 
    You mean as mental and bizarre as telling people NOT to discuss something on a public forum?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554

Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. While I doubt someone who leaks information like this to the public cares much about the lives of the people it puts at risk, the least you can do is be a bit less cavalier when talking about the potential failure of a project that has a real impact on peoples families.

We take the success or failure of the Kickstarter very seriously. We ask that you do too. Or if not, silently gloat to yourself.
    Openly allowing anyone to enter an IRC channel, that appealing to authority when some news nugget comes out from that open IRC channel?
    Really?

Here's a clue:  Don't post information on a public channel.

Then you follow that up with  Shut the fuck up about our kickstarter cuz peoples got jobs on the line?
    Really?

Here's a clue  Don't do a goddamn kickstarter.  Then people can't comment on your kickstarter. 

Here you are (again btw) telling us to STFU until after you kickstart.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Hey Timberhick, nice to see you're still around trying to cause trouble.

There's nothing wrong with inviting people into an open channel, sharing information, and requesting that the information not be shared outside of the channel. It's a gentleman's agreement, and so long as everyone present are gentlemen (or gentlewomen), everyone is happy. 

If we really thought sharing the information would injure our business we wouldn't have shared it. We accepted the risk and felt it was worth the benefit we get from the feedback we receive from the community.

We also didn't tell people not speak about the Kickstarter because peoples' jobs are on the line. In fact, nobody from Soulbound Studios has told people not to talk about the Kickstarter here on MMORPG.com since the thread arose.

We just asked that the OP be less cavalier about the whole "maybe you'll fail, maybe you won't" attitude. People are working hard to bring this game to everyone. That deserves respect. Agree with what we're doing, disagree, the choice is entirely up to you. But people working this hard deserve respect.

Also, thanks for your feedback, but we'll be moving ahead with the Kickstarter.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    @SpottyGekko @Dakeru I agree, having a big name attached to the game would probably make it sell better. But I'd take a team that gets more done in less time than a big name any day.

At the end of the day, having a big name just helps get funding, it doesn't help get the job done. That may be part of the reason crowd-funded MMOs have been struggling lately. Maybe they rely too much on the name.

If people are going to judge our ability to get the game made solely by the name attached to it, rather than the quality of the work we do, the list of previous titles we've worked on, the rate at which we're putting out content, and our commitment to the project - demonstrated by our own personal investment, then the world may indeed not be ready for Chronicles of Elyria.

It comes down to this... if you want a different kind of game made, you need a different sort of team working on it. Going back to the same people over and over again to make your games is only going to result in the same games being re-made multiple times.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • SerylliousSeryllious Member UncommonPosts: 43
    @SpottyGekko @Dakeru I agree, having a big name attached to the game would probably make it sell better. But I'd take a team that gets more done in less time than a big name any day.

At the end of the day, having a big name just helps get funding, it doesn't help get the job done. That may be part of the reason crowd-funded MMOs have been struggling lately. Maybe they rely too much on the name.

If people are going to judge our ability to get the game made solely by the name attached to it, rather than the quality of the work we do, the list of previous titles we've worked on, the rate at which we're putting out content, and our commitment to the project - demonstrated by our own personal investment, then the world may indeed not be ready for Chronicles of Elyria.

It comes down to this... if you want a different kind of game made, you need a different sort of team working on it. Going back to the same people over and over again to make your games is only going to result in the same games being re-made multiple times.
    I find this amusing. Since the Kickstarter Leak happened, the views on our CoE related vids skyrocketed. Last night, in a period of about 6 hours, I got over 20 new comments from people asking about the Kickstarter and wondering how they can throw their money at Soulbound Studios.

Really, we should be thanking @Timberhick and the OP for all of their hard work bringing attention to CoE. Every time they get vitriolic on MMORPG.com, my subs and view counts go up, and I'm certain Soulbound is seeing a similar effect in registered community members and fans.

You guys are doing a lot to make Soulbound look good. So -- Thank you.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Really, we should be thanking @Timberhick and the OP for all of their hard work bringing attention to CoE. Every time they get vitriolic on MMORPG.com, my subs and view counts go up, and I'm certain Soulbound is seeing a similar effect in registered community members and fans.

You're welcome!

Please be sure to come back after the Kickstarter and thank us again :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SerylliousSeryllious Member UncommonPosts: 43

You're welcome!

Please be sure to come back after the Kickstarter and thank us again :)

Will do!

We just asked that the OP be less cavalier about the whole "maybe you'll fail, maybe you won't" attitude. People are working hard to bring this game to everyone. That deserves respect. Agree with what we're doing, disagree, the choice is entirely up to you. But people working this hard deserve respect.

Their jobs depend on YOU, not some random internet guy.  If the Kickstarter fails and they lose their jobs it will be YOUR fault.

Despite what you may think, I don't want you to fail but I believe your ask is too high and the KS tiers are not setup correctly.   But this is YOUR responsibility.  If you leave them as it is and it fails and they lose their jobs it will be because YOU didn't listen.  If you hit your 900k it will be because YOU chose correctly.  Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown...

Good Luck.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Every time they get vitriolic on MMORPG.com, my subs and view counts go up, and I'm certain Soulbound is seeing a similar effect in registered community members and fans.
    Vitriolic.. what a nice expression.
    You seriously think the critic voices here are being toxic, don't you?

It's that kind of overly naive stance while playing with the money of people that makes me doubt this project.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited April 2016

Their jobs depend on YOU, not some random internet guy.  If the Kickstarter fails and they lose their jobs it will be YOUR fault.

Despite what you may think, I don't want you to fail but I believe your ask is too high and the KS tiers are not setup correctly.   But this is YOUR responsibility.  If you leave them as it is and it fails and they lose their jobs it will be because YOU didn't listen.  If you hit your 900k it will be because YOU chose correctly.  Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown...

Good Luck.

Kickstarter history proves you wrong, in many cases failing to reach kickstarter goal doesn't mean the end of the game, it means that you return a few months later with another kickstarter or you do the funding through your own site.

Even if they get funding the battle isn't won because they will have to keep selling packages through their own site until they finish the game. The usual delay for full release after a kickstarter is more than 6 months with the delay being much longer for titles that make $1M+ through kickstarter.

(edited due to this site causing wall of text).
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:

Good Luck.

Kickstarter history proves you wrong, in many cases failing to reach kickstarter goal doesn't mean the end of the game, it means that you return a few months later with another kickstarter or you do the funding through your own site.

Even if they get funding the battle isn't won because they will have to keep selling packages through their own site until they finish the game. The usual delay for full release after a kickstarter is more than 6 months with the delay being much longer for titles that make $1M+ through kickstarter.

Proves ME wrong?  The CEO is the guy who said 12 jobs were on the line with the Kickstarter... not me.

Here's the quote (you might want to read the thread next time before responding...):

Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I feel that asking people to tone down their criticism because they may be "jeopardising the future of the game and the jobs of half a dozen developers" is completely inappropriate and unprofessional. That's something I'd expect from some random forum poster, not from an official representative of the dev team.

If the project can't stand up to the scrutiny, that's not the fault of those asking the questions.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Shaigh said:

Good Luck.

Proves ME wrong?  The CEO is the guy who said 12 jobs were on the line with the Kickstarter... not me.

Here's the quote (you might want to read the thread next time before responding...):

Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. 
    Your quote didn't show it but my bad.

Regardless, unless they are running out of money within a few months they will have another shot at doing a kickstarter.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

'If we don't get enough ks money then 12 people will lose their jobs and it's your fault'

Ok now feel free to call me toxic but this is unprofessional beyond the scale.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Dakeru said:

'If we don't get enough ks money then 12 people will lose their jobs and it's your fault'

Well he isn't completely wrong, if a large enough force spreads information and people take it at face value (some people will) then that could cause problems.  Like the saying: Say something enough and people will believe it". You can call it ignorance of the people listening to that information or that "you're not at fault" but word of mouth does tend to have an impact and that increase much more so when people have access to millions of other people.

You know some people will take any information and try and turn it bad, and then spread that as much as possible. If that catches hold that could cause people who might be interested to take that information and not support it.

Either way, the information posted was posted when the original person was explicitly told to not release the information as it wasn't (as the developer feels) ready for the public to look at it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

@whilan ;
    But actually no false information was spread, was there?

'I'm telling you about the tiers but don't tell anyone else' - not really professional either
    Harbinger of Fools
    whilan said:
    Dakeru said:

Well he isn't completely wrong, if a large enough force spreads information and people take it at face value (some people will) then that could cause problems.  Like the saying: Say something enough and people will believe it". You can call it ignorance of the people listening to that information or that "you're not at fault" but word of mouth does tend to have an impact and that increase much more so when people have access to millions of other people.

You know some people will take any information and try and turn it bad, and then spread that as much as possible. If that catches hold that could cause people who might be interested to take that information and not support it.

Either way, the information posted was posted when the original person was explicitly told to not release the information as it wasn't (as the developer feels) ready for the public to look at it.
    Actually I was never once "explicitly told to not release the information".  It was actually posted on at least 2 other forums before I copied it here. I have never even been on the IRC...

And again, the buck stops with the CEO.  This relates to posting information on an open IRC channel, setting up the Kickstarter Goal, setting up the Kickstarter Tiers, and securing alternate funding.

If folks lose their jobs, it's because the CEO failed.  It's not because some random internet guy said something about about the game.

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    liva98989 said:

And which companies or developers do you see as "known" I look forward to you actually listing them. 

Umm... the list was in the post:

·         Crowfall: J Todd Coleman (Shadowbane!!), Gordon Walton (UO, SWG...) 

·         Camelot Unchained: Mark Jacobs (Dark Age of Camelot...)

·         Pathfinder: Well this one failed but had Ryan Dancey (Wizards of the Coast, Eve Online) Mark Kalmes (Cryptic), Lee Hammock (Fallen Earth, Elder Scrolls Online)

·         Torment: Tides of Numenera: Brian Fargo (Seriously.. if you need a list of this guys games...)

·         Pillars of Eternity: Umm.. you may have heard of Obsidian before.  They only made games like Fallout:New Vegas and Neverwinter Nights 2...

·         Elite Dangerous: You know... this is the 4th Elite game... and David Braben is the guy who started it all with Elite back in the 90s...

Folks today have become very hesitant to back Kickstarters for MMOs being created by developers or companies they do not know.  That's just the inevitable outcome of so many hopes so far being unfulfilled.  

Can you give me a list of MMORPG games that have had a successful Kickstarter from an unknown company and developer, that successfully launched?  

"I look forward to you actually listing them."

Again you have posted wrong information about the developers. Caspian has just listed all the games that he team have worked on yet you are still harping on about how the people in the team are unknown.
    Therefore I assume that you don't read what's been posted before.
    you know these type of games often hire 100-300 peoples or more ??
    he listed pretty big budget game where many peoples are involved...
    so he got the guy who did the grass in shadow of mordor ?? mean this game sucess ?

what was these guys position ??

his point still stand, so far that their first game, and no well  know on his team, the fact some of them worked on some of these top game mean nothng his he dont say their position on these project
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Am I missing where they said people would lose their jobs? I see a quote that someone is referencing, but it doesnt say what they say it says.

"Finally, keep in mind that the Kickstarter's success determines not only whether or not people will get an opportunity to play the amazing game we're working on, but it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families. "

This quote does NOT say that if Kickstarter fails people will lose their jobs. Misrepresenting a quote is spreading misinformation. He did not say people would lose their job, you misrepresented the quote to make it seem that way.

@Deffcon_1 ;
    My bad, please give me the correct interpretation for:
    " it also impacts the course of a dozen peoples' careers and families"
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    edited April 2016
    Successful Kickstarter means that dozens of people that arent currently working for Soulbound can be hired. It also could be that with a failed Kickstarter the current staff would be working much harder because of they wont be able to hire more staff. It would also delay the game, meaning the current staff would be working longer before the finished product hits the market.

No where does it say they would be closing the doors or firing anyone. People here misrepresented the quote to further their attacks. They are unfounded. Not that any of the naysayers care. I see no logical point of coming to a forum for a game one doesnt support just to voice that opinion. I just ignore games I dont find interesting. Maybe some people just dont have fulfillment in their life and need to go to the internet and be debbie-downers to make themselves feel better. Who knows.
    As interesting as the psychology discussion might be lets keep this thread on topic. Feel free to start amother thread but let's keep this one on the Kickstarter. 

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    In regards to the KS tiers and how Soulbound have gone about designing them...

A new video from Extra Credits

Keep this in mind when you think about the tiers and eventual gameplay that comes out of those tiers and what they're targetting. Considering EC are saying to break out of the 'casual/hardcore' idea set of things... looks like this is just what SS are doing, if you look beyond the KS to the mechanics available further in the game at varying levels.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Cynicism is probably a good thing, especially where money is involved, but is it really necessary to be mean and disparaging? If you have no interest in the game then why not simply ignore it, like all reasonable people would.

Personally I hope it is successful. CoE is like a breath of fresh air in a stale MMO market and I'm really excited to see how it develops.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
    Deffcon_1 said:
    It also could be that with a failed Kickstarter the current staff would be working much harder 
    Ok then I will not support the KS so they will work the hardest.
    Harbinger of Fools