Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile Gaming is King, and Consoles retake lead from PC

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Nanfoodle said:

What do you all think?  Is Mobile the future?

It depends on what your standards are.

For me mobile gaming is a bit like virtual sex.

Not as good as the real thing and only for people that don't have access to the real thing. 
    I call mobile gaming, poop gaming. Its games that can keep you busy while you poop. Thats why games like Clash of Clans, Clash Royal, Candy Crush are doing so well. When you have a few min to spare, there are tones of games willing to fill that need. As for playing for hours and hours on your phone. I will never see that being a thing for most people. 
    I agree with Nanfoodle, mobile gaming is not gaming it is something that I do if I am bored and waiting on something.  I will never spend a dime on mobile gaming.  I play games on my PC, and consoles if I am looking for fun.  If it is MMO it is PC for me, if it is single player will probably be console. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:

Not as good as the real thing and only for people that don't have access to the real thing. 
    Yeah, not true.

I've been playing computer games since age 4, and I have something on my phone right now that is way beyond anything we had back then, and just as entertaining to me as the gamut of current Steam offerings.

In fact, it's seamlessly cross-platform; If I were to so choose, I could continue on my PC right where I left off on mobile, and vice-versa.

Oh gawd!!! That's not even fair! What is it? Are you in marketing? :) 

I tend to agree. I have a game on mobile right now that I might play more than I do console or PC games. It's totally P2W but I have some friends who brought me into it and I like the strategery involved.
    We're all in marketing, man, although not all of us understand it.  Ever watch The Jonses? Marketing is part of what I do for a living, but it has nothing to do with my posts here.  This is strictly a hobby, for me.

As far as what it is, I have a superstition about stating its name.

Ok, message me? :) I'm always looking to try new and interesting mobile games. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2016
    I play games on cell and tablet but prefer using the pc.  It is a great time to be alive.  I'm looking forward to using a cell or table to log in ESO and feed my characters horses.  They do have apps for this but can't recall any really good ones off hand.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The "boom" in mobile gaming might even turn out to be a very good thing for PC and console games ! 

Thousands upon thousands of mobile game developers will fail to make any money whatsoever in that highly competitive market segment, and may well turn to the less cutthroat PC and console market... :D 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    k61977 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I call mobile gaming, poop gaming. Its games that can keep you busy while you poop. Thats why games like Clash of Clans, Clash Royal, Candy Crush are doing so well. When you have a few min to spare, there are tones of games willing to fill that need. As for playing for hours and hours on your phone. I will never see that being a thing for most people. 
    I agree with Nanfoodle, mobile gaming is not gaming it is something that I do if I am bored and waiting on something.  I will never spend a dime on mobile gaming.  I play games on my PC, and consoles if I am looking for fun.  If it is MMO it is PC for me, if it is single player will probably be console. 

I think MMOs could go a long way with limited play on mobile apps. Like letting you work the AH, craft, send companions on missions, chat with guildies. I would pay an extra buck or two a month to be able to do that. One a one time fee. So far MMO apps have been lame. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I don't really agree that mobile games are all gamer-lite. 

When android first became popular, one of my first app purchases was an SNES emulator.  What was once considered a core game platform back in the 90s was available, in my pocket, at any time.  I coupled that with wiimote support so I could connect the Wii controller to my phone and I could play SNES games with a controller anywhere.

These days I can do the exact same with PS2 and N64 games and a PS4 controller

Lately I've been interested in mobile games more as I don't have as much time as I once did.  I still have my PC games and my consoles and I'll play games on them at an ever decreasing rate as less games launch that I find worth the purchase.

Phones are getting more powerful.  I in no way am saying that I plan to adopt a mobile only play style, but I'd love to see better games on mobile that would keep me playing for longer.  

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Nanfoodle said:
    k61977 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I think MMOs could go a long way with limited play on mobile apps. Like letting you work the AH, craft, send companions on missions, chat with guildies. I would pay an extra buck or two a month to be able to do that. One a one time fee. So far MMO apps have been lame. 

Same!!!!! I used the WoW app for a while, just for AH, but I would have liked to have more. Didn't use it in WoD though. Mostly because they gutted professions, making the AH useless lol. I'd pay a couple extra bucks a month for them to put professions back in. 

Oops, better not say that too loud. We could end up getting content locks. "You want the old skill system?" $2 a month! Old professions? $3 a month, lol. Oh me.........I'd totally pay it though, lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Generally speaking I am either at home where I just use my PC if I want to game or out doing something. If I am out doing something then I have no need to do any gaming. 

So do people go out and game because they have nothing to do while out and if so why go out?

I fail to understand, other then the 'sitting at home of the crapper', a good reason to use mobile gaming either at home or while out. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Generally speaking I am either at home where I just use my PC if I want to game or out doing something. If I am out doing something then I have no need to do any gaming. 

So do people go out and game because they have nothing to do while out and if so why go out?

I fail to understand, other then the 'sitting at home of the crapper', a good reason to use mobile gaming either at home or while out. 
    Well, if I'm "out" I could be waiting in line somewhere, or maybe I'm at work, at lunch or something and I'm by myself and not doing anything in particular.  When I'm at home maybe people just don't want to sit there in a computer chair for hours.   

A lot of mobile games give you the opportunity to play a few minutes when you have time. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Well, if I'm "out" I could be waiting in line somewhere, or maybe I'm at work, at lunch or something and I'm by myself and not doing anything in particular.  When I'm at home maybe people just don't want to sit there in a computer chair for hours.   

A lot of mobile games give you the opportunity to play a few minutes when you have time. 
    Sounds more like playing because of boredom then actually any keep interest in playing the game to me.

If I am in line I usually an thinking of stuff while waiting.
    If I at work I am working.
    If I am at lunch I am eating. 

Yeah the more people give reasons for mobile gaming the more obvious it is (to me) that it is really just attention deficit at work and a lack of anything fulfilling to do as opposed to any real gaming desire. Again, totally my perspective and not pointing fingers but it is 100% not for me that is for sure. I can at least understand casual console gamers but mobile gaming...not so much. I certainly wouldn't pay to play mobile games if it was just to fill in the gaps. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Sounds more like playing because of boredom then actually any keep interest in playing the game to me.

Yeah the more people give reasons for mobile gaming the more obvious it is (to me) that it is really just attention deficit at work and a lack of anything fulfilling to do as opposed to any real gaming desire. Again, totally my perspective and not pointing fingers but it is 100% not for me that is for sure. I can at least understand casual console gamers but mobile gaming...not so much. I certainly wouldn't pay to play mobile games if it was just to fill in the gaps. 
    What if it's not just to fill in the gaps, but an experience that ties in seamlessly to your PC gaming?

Straight up, there is a mobile title that I've spent well over a thousand hours in between mobile and PC.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

What if it's not just to fill in the gaps, but an experience that ties in seamlessly to your PC gaming?

Straight up, there is a mobile title that I've spent well over a thousand hours in between mobile and PC.
    I don't have gaps I want to fill. I either play games on my PC or get on with the rest of my life.  

And stop trying to advertise or sell shit which I am pretty sure is not allowed. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I don't have gaps I want to fill. I either play games on my PC or get on with the rest of my life.  

And stop trying to advertise or sell shit which I am pretty sure is not allowed. 
    Not selling anything, just speaking from personal experience.

This seems pretty important to you; of course you're free to make up your own mind and have an opinion, as I have mine.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I like mobile gaming for one reason: Retro gaming! So many great games from the past done on mobile. Hell, with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy alone I could entertain myself for months. 

As for consoles, we'll see. If they go the direction of creating modular units with upgradeable components, I may just pitch temperamental and stupidly expensive PC gaming out the door again. Buying new components only to find out new games have already rendered them obsolete is not fun. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    CrazKanuk said:

Yeah, not true.

I've been playing computer games since age 4, and I have something on my phone right now that is way beyond anything we had back then, and just as entertaining to me as the gamut of current Steam offerings.

In fact, it's seamlessly cross-platform; If I were to so choose, I could continue on my PC right where I left off on mobile, and vice-versa.

I tend to agree. I have a game on mobile right now that I might play more than I do console or PC games. It's totally P2W but I have some friends who brought me into it and I like the strategery involved.
    We're all in marketing, man, although not all of us understand it.  Ever watch The Jonses? Marketing is part of what I do for a living, but it has nothing to do with my posts here.  This is strictly a hobby, for me.

The point I'm making is that the audience for mobile games is way different from the kind of person that plays primarily PC and console games.   The chances of Mobile ever replacing PCs is basically zero until some kind of amazing virtual control powered by direct brain manipulation is invented.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Plenty of money in PC gaming.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I work at Lowes and the store has over 100 employees.  When I'm at lunch everyone is messing on their iphone.  Most of them are playing games.  Now we can say those games are shallow but we must also realize that iphones can play any game made before 2005.  So those games we called deep back in the 90's and early 2k's are on iphones.  They are still deep games even though they are being played on iphones.  I don't have an iphone myself and don't feel the need for it.  I am not normal by any means because when I look around, everyone has an iphone and just about everyone is playing games on their iphone.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Colt47 said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Yeah, not true.

The point I'm making is that the audience for mobile games is way different from the kind of person that plays primarily PC and console games.   The chances of Mobile ever replacing PCs is basically zero until some kind of amazing virtual control powered by direct brain manipulation is invented.
    You have to think outside of the box here.  Yes we are talking about gaming but we are also talking about the extinction of the PC.  Why or how is that possible?  Because iphones are basically a pc.  People who want a pc can do what they wanted on their iphone.  So why bother getting a pc when you can just get an iphone and do all the internet and computer stuff you wanted?  PC's are going to be in minority and a very small minority soon.  If you remove gaming from this equation then what purpose does a pc have that the iphone cannot attain right now?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    How do you enjoy playing on that small screen of the phone? Personally I don't like it at all. It's okay if I am waiting at the doctor's and play Mahjong or Sudoku but no way will I play games I mean RPGs and so on on them. I guess for people who play those handheld Nintendo or PS vita and so on ... on the small screen will make the adjustment well but I have never enjoyed playing on those small screens.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Almost everyone has a phone and games on phones are easily accessible. I have no facts or numbers, but I would bet most people playing mobile games have never even thought of playing computer and/or console games. ie. My Mom playing Cut the Rope 2.
    Technology is making it a new phenomenon and it has it's place just like other forms of entertainment. It depends on my mood and location many times, but when I'm playing a mobile game I'm always wishing I was on my PC instead.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    phone games have already knocked out things like the ps vita and nintento ds in japan 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    Colt47 said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Yeah, not true.

You have to think outside of the box here.  Yes we are talking about gaming but we are also talking about the extinction of the PC.  Why or how is that possible?  Because iphones are basically a pc.  People who want a pc can do what they wanted on their iphone.  So why bother getting a pc when you can just get an iphone and do all the internet and computer stuff you wanted?  PC's are going to be in minority and a very small minority soon.  If you remove gaming from this equation then what purpose does a pc have that the iphone cannot attain right now?
    Mobile systems enhance a PC, not render it pointless.  There are things people can do on PCs that are just not possible on tablets and smart phones and the future isn't about the extinction of the PC: It's about how will we build on it?  What IS in danger are traditional laptops.  Those were always a compromise between power and mobility, but once streaming improves and we have better internet infrastructure we will have the power of a PC on our tablets and phones thanks to being able to tapped into a PC we own at our own homes.  We can already do streaming via consoles through bluetooth, wifi, etc, and it is a very useful technique to let players with busy lives do some of the smaller tasks in MMORPGs.
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    MMORPG used to be PC exclusive, but we have games nowadays like Dragon Encounter
    and Heroes of the Rift which could give some PC MMOs a run for their money

I feel mobile technology will advance to the point where you basically have a tiny version of your
    current computer's specs in your hands. (Maybe even better)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다