Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scam or real?

rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
Got an email (looked legit) that claimed to offer a free (digital) copy of Warlords of Daenor (last time I played WoW was Cata), boost to level 90, and 7 free days.

Offer expire May 16th.

Clicking the "play free now' link in the email does take me to (a legit looking) battlenet login page.

At least this one is in English generally the tuff I get from obvious scams is in some weird language that isnt quite Spanish or Portuguese.  

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited April 2016
    Why would they give you WoD for free?

I'd run a virus scan after clicking that link.
  • larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    it still sounds fishy though O.o
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited April 2016
    I got WOD for free, and Mists for free also. The last xpac I bought was Cata. Although I didn't receive any email.

Edit Screen Grab for Proof: Note the Expired Game time date.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Always a good idea to not follow hyperlinks you receive in an email, they could be legit, but most of the time, they really aren't.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    It is real, but it wasn't on my account when I logged in, only by the link. The way to check that it is real though is, sign in before clicking the link. Then when you do click the link, it will take you to your already signed in account if it is valid. If it asks you to sign in, while you already are, then it is fake.

So for me, under the game codes part, it offered my 7 days free, but manually doing it, it wasn't an option. I wish they just gave a code to input so people wouldn't have to be so wary about if the email is fake or not.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Seeing as you hate SC so much...

Go for it, I can see nothing going wrong.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Seems to be real, I've got WoD on my account too although on my alt account it offers me 10 day trial, go figure lol

imageimage

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2016
    If you're not sure about a link, don't use it.  Log directly into the site without using the link.  Also check the email address it came from against the regular email address they use, they should be the same if they're legit.

Checked my email and I got one also, it looks good.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I got the same email and clicked the link. I'm pretty sure it's legit since I accidentally typed my password in wrong at the battlenet site, and it told me it was wrong. If it was a phishing link it woudn't know my password was wrong. 

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    been alot of posts about this on various sites and as far as i can see it's legit. apparently they did the same thing with mists of pandaria. anywho dont click links like that if you are unsure.. go straight to battle.net and login through there. it should be available to you once you logged in with or without the email.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    It's legit. I received the email today. Just manually go to the battenet website and log in. It will show that  you own draenor and a pop up comes up saying if you want to use your 7 day free trial.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Never click anything from an email you are unsure of. Always open a fresh web page and type in the address you need to go to. In your case I would have gone to www.blizzard.com and navigated to my account. If the offer is there you're good to go. At this point I would check your PC and make sure it's not been compromised.