Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial Kickstarter Tiers from IRC

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

1. Cut down on the number of tiers.  There are simply too many and it creates clutter and confusion.

I think your #1 should be applied to pretty much every KS I've seen.  They all have way too many tiers and promises getting in the way of actual development of the game.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Deekins said:
    8bitgamer said:
    Deekins said:
    I just don't do kickstarter. If they want my money before the game is ready, well let me buy into the game as a investor. I can then see a return on my investment should the game succeed. Sadly to many just do kickstarter with no real repercussions. Though I have read that Kickstarter has added a you must deliver clause or something to that nature.

Still rather it be the old ways, you get your own damn money and make the game. Then we pay you when it is ready. Anyone else remember when you didn't have to pay to do alpha/closed beta and some actually got paid for that? Those days were much better. 
    You can't invest in games unless you meet certain criteria, hence how kickstart is able to "invest" in projects without the legal requirement. People are donating to it.
    Yes, I know it is donating to the game. My point is, I get no return on my investment. And no the game getting made is not a return on my investment. That is me giving money to a company to make their game and reap the rewards. If I'm going to just throw my money into someone else's project/game, I want a return on my investment, whether that be in stock in the company I can later sell off or money back in my pocket. I don't donate to people's dreams and ideas and I damn sure don't donate to game companies I don't know.
    This thread is about donations toward a kickstarter for the game CoE in reflection of the unofficial tiers leaked, not a generic "here's what i will and wont spend my money on, in case anyone was interested".

We're not. 

Kickstarters are not investments. Its well known that no one gets a direct financial return on their donation. No one cares what you or anyone else wants to invest in. If you're not here to talk about donations in regards to these tiers, then you are in fact on the wrong thread.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    For Kickstarter/EA, those are pretty good prices.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Deekins said:
    Yes I know, if you would of read my post. I said I know it is donating, I know what the fuck Kickstarter is. But I can say why I won't donate to kickstarter and how I would give my money to said company. Guess what it's a forum, I can debate on it how I see fit or until the mods lock or edit my post. And since they haven't done that yet with these post, I guess I'm not breaking any rules.

So, no I'm not in the wrong thread, I'm debating something, about how a company could get my money. Don't like it, don't read it. 

Actually I will amend my statement "Don't like it, don't read it.", to if you don't like it, ignore it. Go on talking about Kickstarter, and I'll continue to post what I want about how a company can get my money. These are forums, where last I checked we can still debate something till a mod steps in.

So what i'm getting from this is that you understood that this thread was about kickstarter donations, you already knew you didn't support kickstarters, so you chose to come on to the thread to talk about how you don't do kickstarters.

That's like finding some people talking about wine, knowing you don't drink wine and only drink beer, so you come over to the group for the express purpose of saying "hey guys i wanted you all to know i don't drink wine, i only drink beer". And then everyone is just looking at you wondering why you even came over.

On topic: i'm not worried about the number of tiers or the price points (in this version, I agree that I think its a little cluttered). Its well known to be a work in progress and I believe they'll narrow the scope and adjust the prices as they see fit before May 3. I decided a while ago I was going to throw $250 at this game regardless of what that ends up getting me, so for me its kind of a happy surprise to see what i'll end up getting.

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Deekins said:
    Vucar said:
    Deekins said:
    Yes I know, if you would of read my post. I said I know it is donating, I know what the fuck Kickstarter is. But I can say why I won't donate to kickstarter and how I would give my money to said company. Guess what it's a forum, I can debate on it how I see fit or until the mods lock or edit my post. And since they haven't done that yet with these post, I guess I'm not breaking any rules.

So, no I'm not in the wrong thread, I'm debating something, about how a company could get my money. Don't like it, don't read it. 

Actually I will amend my statement "Don't like it, don't read it.", to if you don't like it, ignore it. Go on talking about Kickstarter, and I'll continue to post what I want about how a company can get my money. These are forums, where last I checked we can still debate something till a mod steps in.

So what i'm getting from this is that you understood that this thread was about kickstarter donations, you already knew you didn't support kickstarters, so you chose to come on to the thread to talk about how you don't do kickstarters.

That's like finding some people talking about wine, knowing you don't drink wine and only drink beer, so you come over to the group for the express purpose of saying "hey guys i wanted you all to know i don't drink wine, i only drink beer". And then everyone is just looking at you wondering why you even came over.

On topic: i'm not worried about the number of tiers or the price points (in this version, I agree that I think its a little cluttered). Its well known to be a work in progress and I believe they'll narrow the scope and adjust the prices as they see fit before May 3. I decided a while ago I was going to throw $250 at this game regardless of what that ends up getting me, so for me its kind of a happy surprise to see what i'll end up getting.

Yes I came into a forum topic about donations saying I wouldn't donate to a game. And still explaining ways I would contribute to said game. Seems the only ones that have any issue with talking about not donating to the game and ways that others perhaps would, i.e. some type of investment that the company would have to payback are the fanboys of said game. Guess what some of don't just throw money at every game or kickstarter that comes out. We want devs actually held responsible for what they do with the money. Best way for that to happen is if they get their own damn money.

You like what the game is about I get that, fine and dandy. I don't really care one way or the other. But this is a forum and it is for discussing things. If you don't like the way I am discussing topics, or what I write in my post, feel free to put me on ignore, then you can ignore all my post and won't have to take the time to tell me not to post in forum topics. Until you do that, expect me to post more about Kickstarter being a shame for the most part and how games used to be made should still be made that way. Because for the most part there has been barely any Kickstarter game actually released. I think what Elite Dangerous so far? Yep, great track record there.
    Deekins said:
    Vucar said:
    Deekins said:

Yes I came into a forum topic about donations saying I wouldn't donate to a game. And still explaining ways I would contribute to said game. Seems the only ones that have any issue with talking about not donating to the game and ways that others perhaps would, i.e. some type of investment that the company would have to payback are the fanboys of said game. Guess what some of don't just throw money at every game or kickstarter that comes out. We want devs actually held responsible for what they do with the money. Best way for that to happen is if they get their own damn money.

You like what the game is about I get that, fine and dandy. I don't really care one way or the other. But this is a forum and it is for discussing things. If you don't like the way I am discussing topics, or what I write in my post, feel free to put me on ignore, then you can ignore all my post and won't have to take the time to tell me not to post in forum topics. Until you do that, expect me to post more about Kickstarter being a shame for the most part and how games used to be made should still be made that way. Because for the most part there has been barely any Kickstarter game actually released. I think what Elite Dangerous so far? Yep, great track record there.
    I think you need to go away and learn about forum etiquette, just because you are speaking on a forum/online does not mean you can speak to people like crap.
    That's the problem with the Internet and the anonymity that it allows, people don't take responsibility for the words or actions.

Putting that to the side and back on topic. 
    I am a fan of the game but at the same time I am not blinded by this. The developer has donated an immense amount of his own time and money to this game. I have regularly seen him online at 1am his time communicating with the community.
    I haven't donated to kickstarter before but for a game this innovative I can see why Soulbound have to use it.
    Therefore I am donating what I can afford and in return what will I get. I will get a copy of the game with perks just like if I had bought a collector edition.
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited April 2016
    I really don't see what the issue is. There are various 'tiers'. If you want to put some money forward to help the developers achieve their goals, you pick the one that most closely matches your needs and your pocket. If you don't want to do so, then nobody is twisting your arm.

It's like cars. Few people can afford a Ferrarri but they don't go to thair nearest dealer and whinge about the prices. They just buy a car they can afford.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    OMG P2W blah blah ;)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

$75 to join open beta weekends?
    $120 for closed beta?
    $150 for Headstart?

You guys are out of your minds if you pay this kind of money for these crappy games

That is what happens when people surround themselves with yes men.  It's been proven over and over and over again with game development.  It's a shame because I kind of liked the concepts... but I will be utterly shocked if they raise 900k unless they change these tiers prior to going live.

That's something they'll have to live with if that is to be the case. IF they don't listen to you are you going to launch one of your campaigns against them?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited April 2016
    Whats the difference tween the 35$ and 40$ tier and I am wondering what they mean by "custom surname" and a little worried about the "in game antique" thing that leads to a cool item.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2016
    So how does perma death work that is what turns me away from the game???

Your character ages and dies....

1.) Can character inventory be looted if character has a heart-attack.
    2.) If character dies do you make another and have access to loot in your house aka Family members?

How does it work?

This is what turns me away from even doing a donation on kickstarter for this game.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If a game with the scope and feature list of CoE launches a Kickstarter to raise $900K, then they are not really looking for funding, it's primarily a marketing exercise.

I predict they'll raise their $900K without breaking a sweat. I'm sure they already have enough investors line-up to make it happen if the "public" don't respond adequately.

Then the funding campaign will be moved to their own website and be continued independently, just like Star Citizen.

I'm very intrigued by their game design concepts, but I suspect that I'll not be able to afford to play this game at a realistic level, lol
    edited April 2016
    If a game with the scope and feature list of CoE launches a Kickstarter to raise $900K, then they are not really looking for funding, it's primarily a marketing exercise.

I predict they'll raise their $900K without breaking a sweat. I'm sure they already have enough investors line-up to make it happen if the "public" don't respond adequately.

Then the funding campaign will be moved to their own website and be continued independently, just like Star Citizen.

I'm very intrigued by their game design concepts, but I suspect that I'll not be able to afford to play this game at a realistic level, lol
    Agreed, it's feeling a little like Revival for me in that regard, I mean being able to afford to play at a realistic level that is.

One thing about KS ( regarding mmos) that I dislike is that if the game does become successful and you didn't get a high enough tier in KS it almost feels like your at a permanent disadvantage.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Vucar said:
    Deekins said:

You are missing the point by such a wide margin that I wonder if you ever played connect the dots.  This is a forum.  A forum was historically, and is now, a place for public debate.  This is not even remotely like a thread about wine and someone coming in and saying "I hate wine and I like beer".  This is more like a group of people getting together to select their next emperor and someone coming in and saying "We need to stop selecting tyrannical emperors and democratically vote for a president with term limits!"

Video game Kickstarters are insanity.  You are handing someone money, so that they can go on and create a product which may make them wealthy, and in return they are giving you in-game, digital, worthless trinkets.

He's not in any way saying that he wouldn't give this company money to help make their game.  What he's saying, and what I'm agreeing with, is to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars to someone for in-game, worthless trinkets is a sign of mental illness.

I would happily fork over a couple of hundred dollars to help this game, maybe even a couple of thousand, but I do not care about or want any in-game digital trash.  I want shares in the company.  I want to invest.  When these guys make the next World of Warcraft I want to be polishing the Ferrari Italia 458 in my driveway not some ridiculous in-game crown.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vucar said:
    Deekins said:

You are missing the point by such a wide margin that I wonder if you ever played connect the dots.  This is a forum.  A forum was historically, and is now, a place for public debate.  This is not even remotely like a thread about wine and someone coming in and saying "I hate wine and I like beer".  This is more like a group of people getting together to select their next emperor and someone coming in and saying "We need to stop selecting tyrannical emperors and democratically vote for a president with term limits!"

Video game Kickstarters are insanity.  You are handing someone money, so that they can go on and create a product which may make them wealthy, and in return they are giving you in-game, digital, worthless trinkets.

He's not in any way saying that he wouldn't give this company money to help make their game.  What he's saying, and what I'm agreeing with, is to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars to someone for in-game, worthless trinkets is a sign of mental illness.

I would happily fork over a couple of hundred dollars to help this game, maybe even a couple of thousand, but I do not care about or want any in-game digital trash.  I want shares in the company.  I want to invest.  When these guys make the next World of Warcraft I want to be polishing the Ferrari Italia 458 in my driveway not some ridiculous in-game crown.
    Do you understand that your opinion of value is nothing but an opinion?

Also, do you understand that some people actually have a lot of money and the inclination to support games they want to play - and that these "trinkets" are not necessarily the reason they opt to pledge?

There are many people in this world who enjoy playing games - and who don't consider their time spent enjoying themselves as wasted. That's why some of us enjoy supporting the development of games we're likely to enjoy spending our time with.

Essentially, the key is to not let your own limited point of view dictate the level of insanity other people might seem to hold.

Unless you really don't care to understand other people and you just enjoy putting labels on them, of course.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Asm0deus said:
    Whats the difference tween the 35$ and 40$ tier and I am wondering what they mean by "custom surname" and a little worried about the "in game antique" thing that leads to a cool item.
    The $35 is touted as the 'early bird' pricing. As in - first in best dressed get it for $5 cheaper. After that (IE: first 1K - 2K - 5K - 10K or however many they offer) claim it... everyone else after that pays $40 for the same thing. MANY KS's do this.

Renoaku said:
    So how does perma death work that is what turns me away from the game???

Your character ages and dies....

1.) Can character inventory be looted if character has a heart-attack.
    2.) If character dies do you make another and have access to loot in your house aka Family members?

How does it work?

This is what turns me away from even doing a donation on kickstarter for this game.
    This is covered in many places... most notably...

Under Inventory and Death

Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited April 2016

Asm0deus said:

Agreed, it's feeling a little like Revival for me in that regard, I mean being able to afford to play at a realistic level that is.

One thing about KS ( regarding mmos) that I dislike is that if the game does become successful and you didn't get a high enough tier in KS it almost feels like your at a permanent disadvantage.
    Why do you feel you'll be at a permanent disadvantage? Should read the Inventory link above.

If you get incap'd carrying around that artifact sword... someone can take it off you and (hopefully) run away.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

Would you mind expanding on this? I don't understand what playing at a realistic level would mean.

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Lost me at paying for OPEN Beta.
    edited April 2016
    Maygus said:

Asm0deus said:

Why do you feel you'll be at a permanent disadvantage? Should read the Inventory link above.

If you get incap'd carrying around that artifact sword... someone can take it off you and (hopefully) run away.
    That last bit was towards KS in general, they seem to want to offer special items or mounts and stuff like that in higher tiers.  Also more often that not special items  from KS don't follow the same rules as regular items as in they tend to be permanent items.

Oh yea the EA thing at 35% makes senses, will teach me to post before my morning tea. lol

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Its not a guarantee that they make the kickstarter goal.

Its much harder to raise money through kickstarter today and this title lacks name recognition. The hype for this title is similar to The Repopulation, a game that managed to get $50k back in 2012 and $170k in 2013. Shards Online failed their original kickstarter and managed to get $100k the second time.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Would you mind expanding on this? I don't understand what playing at a realistic level would mean.
    To me, playing the game at a "realistic level" means having access to most of the features. Reading through the KS pledge tiers just leaves me with the overall impression that the monetization of this game is not going to agree with me.

It's hard to quantify, it's just a personal opinion.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited April 2016
    st3v3b0 said:
    Lost me at paying for OPEN Beta.
    these dev clearly loss the meaning of ''open beta''

MikePt said:
    Omg whiners just go back to your  troll cave and keep playing wow let blizzard milk every single penny from you )))) and 3 months after Legion release crawl out of your cave to beach about how bad Legion was....

DO YOU ENJOY STAR CITIZEN MAN ??!!

do you get the 10k ships ???!!!!!!!

who milk penny of who huh lol ? :)
  • xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Well, I guess they are actually gunning for 1,800 hardcore fanboi to purchase $500 alpha access. Ding! $900k achieved.
  • 8bitgamer8bitgamer Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Deekins said:
    8bitgamer said:
    Deekins said:
    I just don't do kickstarter. If they want my money before the game is ready, well let me buy into the game as a investor. I can then see a return on my investment should the game succeed. Sadly to many just do kickstarter with no real repercussions. Though I have read that Kickstarter has added a you must deliver clause or something to that nature.

Still rather it be the old ways, you get your own damn money and make the game. Then we pay you when it is ready. Anyone else remember when you didn't have to pay to do alpha/closed beta and some actually got paid for that? Those days were much better. 
    You can't invest in games unless you meet certain criteria, hence how kickstart is able to "invest" in projects without the legal requirement. People are donating to it.
    Yes, I know it is donating to the game. My point is, I get no return on my investment. And no the game getting made is not a return on my investment. That is me giving money to a company to make their game and reap the rewards. If I'm going to just throw my money into someone else's project/game, I want a return on my investment, whether that be in stock in the company I can later sell off or money back in my pocket. I don't donate to people's dreams and ideas and I damn sure don't donate to game companies I don't know.
    Deekins said:
    8bitgamer said:
    Deekins said:

Like I said, I think you might be in the wrong place. If you want to be an investor in something and get a return then a game forum isn't the place to be.

Kickstarter is not a financial investment, people don't give money there to get paid back. They give money because they believe in a products vision and want to see it come through.

A lot of these Kickstarter companies (especially the games) don't want to let someone else have control over their product and have their own vision for how it should be.  Kickstarter is a means for them to make it happen. 

If you don't do Kickstarter and that's not your cup of tea that's fine, but coming to a kickstarter forum and posting how you don't do Kickstarters is like walking into a steakhouse and declaring you are a vegetarian, there's just not really a point to it.   
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    am i the only one that think this is gm 2 all over again?