Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anniversary event

AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
I'm not sure if mmorpg reported on it, but the event is currently live.

Although I've played the game on and off for 2 years (as my 2 year gift tells me), I've never taken part in the event before.

What I like about it, similar to most of LOTRO's events, is that it's not really about grind if all you want is a nice mount and maybe an outfit or two. I got the goat mount by just doing the events once and attending a couple of firework displays (which are quite fun). Of course you can get loads more if you do want to grind, but compared to most games, I think they do this stuff really well.

I assume the goat's new since it's the most expensive (40 tokens), and that's all the more impressive that it's basically no grind to get it, regardless of whether you're a free player or not.

Comments

• NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I loved playing this game, but I quit due to an extremely low pop. Last year I tried it again and played for over 6 hours, did not see anybody roaming around my area and the chat was also totally dead :|.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I loved playing this game, but I quit due to an extremely low pop. Last year I tried it again and played for over 6 hours, did not see anybody roaming around my area and the chat was also totally dead :|.
    The population is pretty decent but it was spread over way too many servers. Since they recently reduced them it's much more visible on all of the remaining ones.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Athisar said:
    I assume the goat's new since it's the most expensive (40 tokens), and that's all the more impressive that it's basically no grind to get it, regardless of whether you're a free player or not.
    Yep, as it's in my comment under the news post of Suzie :wink:  Goat is this year's mount, and the Moria-inspired housing items, and the cloak with the firework explosions on the back.

Events can be grindy, if you want everything, but if you have all, it's more like for the fun (and if you play them every year, you probably have everything...). Bree fireworks can be massive, I have some cool screenshots about it from previous years, coordinated shoots look great. The hobbit version is more of a mess, quantity over quality :lol:
    And the beer brawl returned a couple years ago into the rotation, that's fun too.

Might check back, 20 days ago they removed the closing servers from the launcher, so now everyone is cramped onto the remaining 10 servers, and they're pretty crowded. I barely can grab envelopes on Laurelin, Bree is filled with people... not that I crave them much anymore, since the steeds were removed from the envelopes a few years ago, sadly.
    (I miss the old servers, after everyone moved away... there was a Treasure Hunt weekend in March, a bit before the close-up, I was alone there - all the dig sites for myself, without competition :waving: )
    Po_gg said:
    Athisar said:
    Yep, as it's in my comment under the news post of Suzie :wink:  Goat is this year's mount, and the Moria-inspired housing items, and the cloak with the firework explosions on the back.

Events can be grindy, if you want everything, but if you have all, it's more like for the fun (and if you play them every year, you probably have everything...). Bree fireworks can be massive, I have some cool screenshots about it from previous years, coordinated shoots look great. The hobbit version is more of a mess, quantity over quality :lol:
    And the beer brawl returned a couple years ago into the rotation, that's fun too.

Well, I love the goat. It feels very... sturdy. Though it makes weird noises! I've got it with my lowbie LM together with the new cloak. It looks great for a level 15 character. I'll probably upload a screenshot later.

The brawl seems an easy way to get tokens if you want everything, since it restarts every few minutes and takes little effort.

As for population in Bree, it's packed on Landroval no matter what time of day. The daytime task to find places for fireworks is difficult as someone else is always getting them first.
    Also very handy, since (as we can know from the books and the movie) no steeds or ponies go into Moria. So, unless you want to walk around all the way under the mountain, you need a goat, and all of them are pretty expensive and/or grindy. Probably this new one is currently the easiest and cheapest to get, goofing around the festival for a day and that's it. I too plan to grab it on my characters who don't have a goat yet.
    Po_gg said:
    Also very handy, since (as we can know from the books and the movie) no steeds or ponies go into Moria. So, unless you want to walk around all the way under the mountain, you need a goat, and all of them are pretty expensive and/or grindy. Probably this new one is currently the easiest and cheapest to get, goofing around the festival for a day and that's it. I too plan to grab it on my characters who don't have a goat yet.
    Good point, and it helps that you get a nice variation of a mount. Adherence to lore means it's normally just horses/ponies for everyone. I'll probably try to pick up the goat on a couple of other characters.

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    You probably played before they did the server mergers. It's much better now! All the remaining servers are highly active. I was playing at 2am(PST) this morning and it was pretty amazing to see how busy Bree was.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Which server were you on?  I play on Arkenstone myself think there has actually been a massive increase in players lately.  Played off and on for 9 years myself.  Should pop into the server and take a look.  Its hard to find an area even in the older content where there are not people running around now.  The only real down size is it can be hard to find players interested in the lower level dungeons like Barrow, etc...  It's important in this game to find a good kin, there is tons to do solo but having others around can increase the fun ten fold, the game actually rewards group play.
    Athisar said:
    Po_gg said:
    Also very handy, since (as we can know from the books and the movie) no steeds or ponies go into Moria.
    Good point, and it helps that you get a nice variation of a mount. Adherence to lore means it's normally just horses/ponies for everyone. I'll probably try to pick up the goat on a couple of other characters.
    Actually it was fun, when lore and gameplay collided:  "give us something else, no elf would ever mount a goat, what a horrid idea - Well, no steeds go into Moria, that's lore too. You can still walk if you want" :wink:

You get a base goat in Moria (slow and dies a lot), next to that I guess all the goats are either in the Store for high price, at the end of faction reps (Thorin's the fastest, but still a grind), event grind (Treasure hunt, Ale Association), or by luck, a very rare drop at the Treasure hunt event.
    This goat is almost like a freebie compared to those. It's perfect for a speedy and sturdy ride around in Moria.
  • PropaPropaPropaPropa Member CommonPosts: 4
    hi i am new here . is the game to recommend ?

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Festival is nice, if one does not take into account security precautions with fireworks. You know, tens of player launching fireworks, some drunken spectators neary... :lol:
    If seriously: festival offers some nice items, like Moria mirror, Moria crystal-like stuff and lots of cometic clothes.
    Earning tokens is simple: at night - 4 tokens from fireworks, at day - 4 tokens from lost letters and inspiring interest in fireworks. When it's night, fireworks quest has 30 minutes cooldown.
    This year we have Anfalas starlit crystal (warning: bind ion acquire!) and Essence removal scroll. Both are usefull and surely worth of some work if you have under-lvl.100 toon.
    Overall, Festival is nice and barter items are nice too.
    A couple of photos as I said I might.

The goat, a sunny quiet afternoon in the Shire :)

And the cloak I bought, my lowbie LM by the Mill in Hobbiton.

edited April 2016
    Nice one, Obsidian is a cool goat indeed.
    But (and not party-pooping here, just correcting :wink: ) the cloak is not the new one, that's the Odogil cloak from the 7th Anniversary. There's a matching robe, and the steed of that year was Odogil too, with a similar caparison - too bad currently only available through MC...

A very great set, black is quite rare (and thus cool) in LotRO, both the default ones like this set, as the modified items, since black dye is the most expensive dye (a dye-maker scholar can be a real money-maker :wink: Or at least in the past, now that all servers have cca. 3 servers worth of population, I guess the prices will change a bit too).

There was a post about the new items (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?612459-Fantastic-Festival-Items!!&p=7580385#post7580385 ), except the cloak. It has firework explosions on its back, and if you dye it, you change the colour of the explosions. Looks neat. Much better than the two older firework cloaks.
    Ah, well I liked this cloak and it cost next to nothing :)

Not bad all that for a low level character and no grinding.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Depend's on what you're looking for.  If it's a PvP game than I would say no.  There is some but that's not what the game was designed for.

If it's PvE with lot's of quest's that you really really should read to enjoy the game than yes.  And while you don't have to know anything about the Lord of the Ring's it helps.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Nebless said:

Depend's on what you're looking for.  If it's a PvP game than I would say no.  There is some but that's not what the game was designed for.

If it's PvE with lot's of quest's that you really really should read to enjoy the game than yes.  And while you don't have to know anything about the Lord of the Ring's it helps.
    I'd say that knowing the films is probably more than enough to get by in terms of the story. It's all very well explained (storytelling is something the game excels at).