Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Truth About Gaming

jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
This struck a chord, everything this guy says is completely true. Scarey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEhgqGlyjQ

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    edited April 2016
    Yup... Just look at all the suckers who think a subscription buys them better quality.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I'm probably just old, but I prefer reading to watching youtube videos.

Is there a way you could just state the point briefly?
  • larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    DKLond said:

I agree... absolutely agree
    I dont know if its the age of rebellion or just
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited April 2016
    basically is an joke announcement about a console with games /electric brick :lol: ,consoles that are made to fail in 1-2 years , so u can buy a new 1! , and the same games u have now, but NEW! ,and how games arent ready when they are announce they show footage and make u think is an awesome game and hype...blababal, that u can preorder! but the game isnt ready yet.....and that games are not even ready when u are playing ...he talks about DLC and how slice a game to milk your wallet , about exciting ways to get your money $_$ (sub based broken games)

dont know if its funny / sad or everything at the same time ....but is kinda true
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Warlyx said:
    basically is an joke announcement about a console with games /electric brick :lol: ,consoles that are made to fail in 1-2 years , so u can buy a new 1! , and the same games u have now, but NEW! ,and how games arent ready when they are announce they show footage and make u think is an awesome game and hype...blababal, that u can preorder! but the game isnt ready yet.....and that games are not even ready when u are playing ...he talks about DLC and how slice a game to milk your wallet , about exciting ways to get your money $_$ (sub based broken games)

dont know if its funny / sad or everything at the same time ....but is kinda true
    Ah, ok - thanks for the info :)
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Warlyx said:
    I am pretty sure the video was stupid in the first place...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Quirhid said:
    Yup... Just look at all the suckers who think a subscription buys them better quality.
    Well, a subscription buys me EVE, which is the best on the market, so it must be true.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:
    Well, a subscription buys me EVE, which is the best on the market, so it must be true.
    It's never specifically been that sub games are "of higher quality", but they are held to a higher standard.

Being "ok" as a B2P game does actually mean more than if you're "ok" as a F2P specifically because the fact that you already know you have to give up money for the title means you've become more critical of it's content as you are judging if it's worth parting with your cash.

Aside from that, while it's by no means a guarantee, the idea behind paying people regularly is that they are doing something to your benefit. When it comes to games, that means offering a more stable release of game content. People buy subs in F2P games now for the same reason as ever. It gives them perks and it's an investment into future content.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:
    Not to mention it is the only game that allows you to buy and max all the skill points with real cash. 
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:
    Not to mention it is the only game that allows you to buy and max all the skill points with real cash. 
    Eve? Best on the market?  o.O

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    So computers have other uses besides gaming? I never got that memo...*hides*

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Ya he explains it better, the things we already know

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Quirhid said:
    The game may not be a guarantee, but that sub places a hurdle in front of whacky freeloaders, making the quality of players much better, overall.

OT: I enjoyed the video.  Pretty much sums my thoughts on the video game industry.  The top point for me was innovations now occurring only in the ways to get gamers' money.

VG

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:
    Eve? Best on the market?  o.O
    Best p2w .. where else can you bypass ALL the skill building with cash?
  • wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited April 2016
    Oh honesty, how wonderful, so beautiful that people forget it after 5 minutes, since the reality is so grim no one wants to hear about it., and all the pretending & conscious ignorance,...starts all over again
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Quirhid said:
    The game may not be a guarantee, but that sub places a hurdle in front of whacky freeloaders, making the quality of players much better, overall.

OT: I enjoyed the video.  Pretty much sums my thoughts on the video game industry.  The top point for me was innovations now occurring only in the ways to get gamers' money.
    Actually, of the sub games remaining, where do you see a "quality of players much better"? EVE? Lol, that's hilarious. Even the WoW community has descended into a bunch of immature assholes. This is such a fallacy. If that's what you believe, though, keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

As far as the video goes, I found it funny. What I also found funny is that it struck a chord with someone. I mean this is cracked, right? Like it's a comedy site, not a real journalism site. It's not based in reality. It's meant to take opinions and blow them up. It's like saying that an article on The Onion really struck a chord and you totally identified with it. 

Are people being real here? Like, honestly, is this serious? Or did people not get it? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited April 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Quirhid said:

Actually, of the sub games remaining, where do you see a "quality of players much better"? EVE? Lol, that's hilarious. Even the WoW community has descended into a bunch of immature assholes. This is such a fallacy. If that's what you believe, though, keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

As far as the video goes, I found it funny. What I also found funny is that it struck a chord with someone. I mean this is cracked, right? Like it's a comedy site, not a real journalism site. It's not based in reality. It's meant to take opinions and blow them up. It's like saying that an article on The Onion really struck a chord and you totally identified with it. 

Are people being real here? Like, honestly, is this serious? Or did people not get it? 
    Hmm, comedy ..the video bellow is also a comedy, probably you are still very young,..

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited April 2016
    wiennas said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Quirhid said:

Hmm, comedy ..the video bellow is also a comedy, probably you are still very young,..

Lol, oh you..... I'm not trying to say there isn't bullshit involved, but not to the conspiracy theory levels that so many seem to think. Why is it that we take things to those extremes these days? 

It's like this. We bitch and whine about how horrible everything is. Then people improve stuff. Then we bitch and whine about how they are always changing stuff. 

Reality:
    Cost of a video game adjusted for inflation.... cheaper than ever. 

Cost of an average game developer...... increasing over time

Cost to develop games, on average...... Increasing incrementally

However, I guess it's bullshit that a company wants to make money. It's really difficult to make arguments about being robbed when game company closures in recent years has been almost pandemic. 

I would argue that if you're complaining about video games and the costs of games, YOU are obviously the one who is still very young. If you never shopped for an Atari game and have your parents lament about how expensive they were, then you have no frame of reference. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    See, I'd have no problem buying a new console every 3-4 years, as the $500 or so to do that is still a better value than spending thousands on a new PC and then that same 500+ every 3-4 years to keep it current with new graphics cards and such.
  • stimulus999stimulus999 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    fact of the matter is gaming development companies' greed is ruining gaming altogether (has been happening with movie devs  in that industry for about 20 years now). Soon no one will want to play because they will realize that everything out ,now and in the future,  is a cash grab scam. And as with all scams , its very much a "fool me once , shame on you . fool me twice, shame on me" type of situation. until development is made from the standpoint of making a good game , rather then making as much money as possible, this is going to be the state of gaming.
    ive been warned .lol
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    ... Soon no one will want to play ...
    The amount of players and the amount of money made by the games industry increases every year.

There are more games available to play today than at any point in history, and more people to play them.

Things may not be going in a direction that I particularly like, but there's no denying that the industry is booming, lol
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's funny, but I'm not having a moment of truth type experience here. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Great video, we do buy games in advance when they haven't been finished and people do look at the videos about the game thinking or hoping the game will be just as good as the video.

The only thing he left out were players who think they are supporting the game when most of the money is going to management performance bonuses, (they should of shown the guys nice new cars and big house he got from bonuses and percentages of subscription money).  That's why games are cutting back on quality so more money goes to the top.  Not the bottom, which they think of as putting back into the game itself.  Business 101, the more you charge, the more stuff you charge for, and the cheaper the product, the more pure profits are made, the richer you become.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    DKLond said:

I never click on the videos.  I also don't watch the videos that MMORPG.COM puts out for various stories.  I prefer reading when it comes to this sort'a thing.

I self identify as a monkey.