Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

God-Mode Hack Possible, Daum and Pearl Abyss Reacting

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I'm shocked that any of these things are sitting on the client.  I just assumed that after years of understanding how exploitable it is, no game developers were dumb enough to code it this way.

Mind blowing.
    I'm more shocked it's just now coming to light TBH. You'd think this would have been a big topic long ago; before it even hit the west. I doubt the west is any more prone to have cheaters in games than anywhere else, unless you count those not playing on their own machines in Asia (cafes).. or am I wrong about that?

That seems odd to me as well. 
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I'm shocked that any of these things are sitting on the client.  I just assumed that after years of understanding how exploitable it is, no game developers were dumb enough to code it this way.

Mind blowing.
    I'm more shocked it's just now coming to light TBH. You'd think this would have been a big topic long ago; before it even hit the west. I doubt the west is any more prone to have cheaters in games than anywhere else, unless you count those not playing on their own machines in Asia (cafes).. or am I wrong about that?
    I agree.
    The same issue with The Division was caught in Beta (last one mind you.. but still at least it was found before release). 

Normally, this should have been public knowledge around the same time for BDO at a maximum, so I'm also really baffled as to why it just came out now.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Every mmo game I've ever played has been hacked, DAoC still has working Radar and flyhack programs written 14 years ago. People still do it in WoW as well for interrupts in pvp, ESO has hacks that work, GW2 has hacks that work, fly hacks, wall hacks, all of it.  I don't think I've ever played an mmo that didn't have this problem, and I'm sure it will always exist in almost every new game as well. I do hope they keep banning people, the ban posts have been hitting the bdo forums the last few days for players using 3rd party programs, but of course these people say they got banned for "pvping" which is just bs. 

It's definitely sad that people need to cheat to compete because they suck, but kids will be kids even if their age says otherwise.  The game is still new, so I'm optimistic, but I really hope they take care of this before siege/node wars launch in the west. They would need to re-code the entire game to get actions off client side, which would mean they would also need to re-code every expansion which they aren't going to do. So hopefully they figure it out via other means if they can't redo the code.
  • MyNameIsVMyNameIsV Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Why was no credit given where it is due?
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ brought this to everyone's attention and should be given credit.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    You guys call it cheating. I call it playing it Chinese style.

Lol you guys should see survival mode games with this client stuff.
    It's so much worse. So so much worse.

I recall certain requirements for reagents were client side in UO.
    Those were interesting times but never anything like a god mode haha holy hell...client side everything? Really?

That's not because of culture. That's not because of cheapness. They simply lacked the skill to do server side timers etc. Otherwise they'd of never done client. This is a case of low expereienced networking skills coming together with newbie coders.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Astropuyo said:

That's not a racist comment.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    H0urg1ass said:

Mind blowing.
    I am actually a little shocked. . and it takes a lot to do that to me these days.  I am not sure how this passed through any type of discussion. . unless it was just to save bandwidth. . even then . . I would think they would be:. . "could we. . . .?    Naaaah".

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Astropuyo said:

Lol you guys should see survival mode games with this client stuff.
    It's so much worse. So so much worse.

I recall certain requirements for reagents were client side in UO.
    Those were interesting times but never anything like a god mode haha holy hell...client side everything? Really?

That's not because of culture. That's not because of cheapness. They simply lacked the skill to do server side timers etc. Otherwise they'd of never done client. This is a case of low expereienced networking skills coming together with newbie coders.
    I can't believe you are correct. . . only because it would be even more horrifying.  Seriously. . both options are horrendous!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited April 2016
    It's was about to happen at some point. No MMO is Immune to some type of hack some worst then others. How long would take them to fix this who knows. All I know best is to report them and banned them until they fix this.
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Mind blowing.
    I agree.
    The same issue with The Division was caught in Beta (last one mind you.. but still at least it was found before release). 

Normally, this should have been public knowledge around the same time for BDO at a maximum, so I'm also really baffled as to why it just came out now.

They are written by people who sell them online regularly, they aren't interested in something that isn't going to make them money. So when a game starts to become popular they will attempt to hack it, and squeeze as much profit out of it as they can. Same with the gold spammers etc.

Nanfoodle said:

Astropuyo said:

That's not a racist comment.

@nanfoodle
    Well I am actually half Chinese, my mom was born in Anhui and immigrated over to the US when she was 4. And you know, I find that comment funny lol. Just like in school everyone thought i knew karate and left me alone haha.

I wouldn't say Chinese though, I would say Korean. Every Korean MMO I play ends up being a hacked piece of garbage. I really hoped BDO would be different, but I was wrong.

I will stick it out, since I already invested $230 into the game, but this is a huge slap in the face. I even waited a few weeks to see if there were cheats AND THERE WEREN'T ANY. So I bought it, only to have these very cheats come out 14 days after I gave Da$m my money. Urge to kill rising.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Haunting PVP games with cheat codes since the very first developer got lazy with client/server...

/set godmode=1
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MyNameIsV said:
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ brought this to everyone's attention and should be given credit.
    Because that article was written today and we have been talking about this for a few days now.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    All this means is that when you LD now, which is way too frequent, you'll have to go through a file check to log back in. They'll waste our time instead of fixing the problem. I'm still playing, and enjoying the game, but I doubt they'll spend the coding $ to fix it, even on the kr servers.

edited April 2016

filmoret said:

MyNameIsV said:

Because that article was written today and we have been talking about this for a few days now.

@filmoret Can you please show me where it was first mentioned?
    Edit: I would like a time stamped link.

mmogfails makes mention of this on the 25'th at 8 AM. Even according to the BDO forums that is the earliest anyone hinted at it. And he full on comes out and states it on the 27'th at 7 AM.
    Once again, even the BDO forums credit that site for bringing this to light, before they got locked anyway.
    WIlliam pretty much plagiarized someone else's work and research, and claimed it as his own. Good article, but credit should be given where it is due.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Released 2014 in Korea, Released 2015 in Russia...   Released 50 something days ago in the US/Europe, and the silliest possible design for a multi-player game is discovered then exploited.

I don't really know where to take that observation, but it's an amusing one.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

MyNameIsV said:

filmoret said:

MyNameIsV said:

mmogfails makes mention of this on the 25'th at 8 AM. Even according to the BDO forums that is the earliest anyone hinted at it. And he full on comes out and states it on the 27'th at 7 AM.
    Once again, even the BDO forums credit that site for bringing this to light, before they got locked anyway.
    WIlliam pretty much plagiarized someone else's work and research, and claimed it as his own. Good article, but credit should be given where it is due.
     Pretty sure if you just go to the BDO forum here there's a thread that's been talking about it for a while, and @DMKano has been ranting about it since before Musa patch.  Are you really arguing who was first to "break" this story which the forums, and twitch streams, and even reddit have been talking about for a few weeks now?
    MyNameIsV said:

filmoret said:

MyNameIsV said:

Actually this particular thread was created because Daum emailed Bill Murphy and told him the rumors were true.  Which if you read the OP you would see they have used nothing from your website.  This article is about the NA/EU version not the Russian version. 
    edited April 2016
    @Realizer and @DMKano
    Sorry, but I used to blog for joystiq, and plagiarism pisses me off.

All I want is a link. A forum post, or anything. Can anyone provide me one? I am providing one that supports my argument right here: http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/
    Can anyone else provide some place that beat him to it?

I check reddit and the official forums constantly. I am an avid poster on both. Never saw such a complete list of hackable things being mentioned before mmogfails.
    MyNameIsV said:
    @Realizer and @DMKano
    Sorry, but I used to blog for joystiq, and plagiarism pisses me off.

All I want is a link. A forum post, or anything. Can anyone provide me one? I am providing one that supports my argument right here: http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/
    Can anyone else provide some place that beat him to it?

I check reddit and the official forums constantly. I am an avid poster on both. Never saw such a complete list of hackable things being mentioned before mmogfails.
    You are getting it wrong here.  This particular thread has to do with the fact that Daum admitted it was possible and for the NA version of the game not just the Russian.  Nowhere in mmogfails has Daum responded to anything.  Also I would like to point out that mmogfails admitted he is responding to emails from players.  Meaning it came from somewhere else first.  

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/449834/the-client-side-skill-cooldown-exploiting-is-getting-worse/p1

We have been discussing this as have many other websites not because mmogfails but because players like the ones using this website have witnessed stuff first hand and want to talk about it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well looks like Daum is not the only one who does not understand how MMO server side design needs to work read this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/analysis-the-division-may-need-complete-rewrite-to-fix-hacking-problems/

Looks like the Division was written by some clueless people too.  You have to wonder what bubble these developers live in, certainly NOT the real world.

I feel sorry for those that enjoy these games, but not much you can do with such a design when the end game is basically pvp.  A client/server rewrite is completely out of the question especially since Daum does not have these problems in Korea.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2016

Regardless of how much I like a game, and I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that I like BDO, I have always told it like it is.  To say that this is a problem for Daum and Peal Abyss is a huge understatement.  This is crisis mode bad.   Short of recoding the whole entire game, there is no fix for this problem. Indefinite mass bannings of players might be a band aid short term solution, but it does nothing for the long term sustainability, viablitily and success of this game.  

Hate to say it but ... you can stick a fork in this baby. There is no coming back from this.  It is all down hill from here unless the hacks and cheats become part of the selling point of the game and it settles down as a niche "god mode" PvP type game with a population of cheaters and hackers.  If that is your thing, have at it, but it won't garner much of a foundation to gain any traction to build upon going forward. This is nothing but vaporware at this point.  Unbelievable how developers of such a beautiful and well thought out game can mess up so bad on such a basic and fundamental level.
    Post edited by LacedOpium on
    edited April 2016

filmoret said:

MyNameIsV said:

filmoret said:

MyNameIsV said:

Actually this particular thread was created because Daum emailed Bill Murphy and told him the rumors were true.  Which if you read the OP you would see they have used nothing from your website.  This article is about the NA/EU version not the Russian version. 

A swing and a miss. Not my site. Just want credit given where everyone else is giving credit and where it is due.
    The game is created by PA, what works in Russia and Korea will work on the US version as well. Daum did not make the game.

Also Bill got the idea after vomomoto made a detailed post about it. He even says so in that thread. I was wrong though. Vomomoto gave credit to mmogfails.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    You know it would almost be worthwhile to buy the cheat and the game, PvE my way to level 45(50?) and then turn on infinite hit points whenever someone tried to gank me, no defending, no attacking back, no running just sitting there harvesting or watching while they whaled on me until they got tired and wandered off. Then turn off god mode and just carry on PvEing.
    You know it would almost be worthwhile to buy the cheat and the game, PvE my way to level 45(50?) and then turn on infinite hit points whenever someone tried to gank me, no defending, no attacking back, no running just sitting there harvesting or watching while they whaled on me until they got tired and wandered off. Then turn off god mode and just carry on PvEing.
    Lol good sir, you are pure evil.