Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

God-Mode Hack Possible, Daum and Pearl Abyss Reacting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageGod-Mode Hack Possible, Daum and Pearl Abyss Reacting

Reports are coming in that nefarious players are using different ways to hack cooldowns and make them non-existent, and to hack Health and Mana in Black Desert in order to make themselves invulnerable. We've reached out to Daum Games, and received the following response...

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    The game doesn't need a better "anti-cheat system". It needs to get core game mechanics OUT of the client and on to the server!

I'm glad I don't care about this stuff. I'm still enjoying the game.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145

The game doesn't need a better "anti-cheat system". It needs to get core game mechanics OUT of the client and on to the server!

Well put. This is bad game design pure and simple. Camelot Unchained is doing their engine right so crap like this doesn't happen.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Well put. This is bad game design pure and simple. Camelot Unchained is doing their engine right so crap like this doesn't happen.

Yeah, I think client-side game mechanics died with the original version of Ultima Online. EverQuest had everything on the server. Some MMORPGs have since experimented with exactly what functionality could be leveraged on the client, but core game mechanics like cooldowns and attack timers have always been on the server (at least with NA developers).
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516

it would mean more expensive for them, you know the stuft who are in everyone computer mean it less expensive for them and make a lesser load for the system they run ? pretty much all crappy asian f2p system do it this way because it less expensive for them....

but for their defence in asia and korean you need a korean citizen id for play, when you get banned it got more implication....

wonder what they will do, this would be a pretty big change for them, when you think they need change the core game system. when the east only got a translation and just some small change ?!
    .. lol

will probably not happen, enjoy your ruined game honestly
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    'We are aware of the situation and we will work hard to make things better.'

I'm too old to believe this standard reply has any meaning.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Gamers, ruining games since...well..forever...

Granted a lot of this is on bad design practices, that's still no excuse for wanting to cheat in the first place. I just don't understand what kind of satisfaction it brings to win because you cheated, bottom of the barrel is the only thought that comes to mind.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    I am not aware of any major MMO where HP, mana and ability cooldown were not server side enforced.
    Same thing I was thinking. That's not just poor game design, that's simply inexcusable. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited April 2016
    Distopia said:

Granted a lot of this is on bad design practices, that's still no excuse for wanting to cheat in the first place. I just don't understand what kind of satisfaction it brings to win because you cheated, bottom of the barrel is the only thought that comes to mind.
    It's probably that for some people their self worth comes in winning, not in how they won, but just that they won.

Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

DMKano said:

And people harped on Shadowbane and ArcheAge having hacks, which they did but this is on a different level.

I am not aware of any major MMO where HP, mana and ability cooldown were not server side enforced.

Black Desert really went into a whole new territory here with trusting client on everything, it's really mind boggling that this moon sized gaping exploit  was deemed ok.

Last night my group ran into 3 different players blatantly exploiting - the funny thing was 2 of them actually tried killing each other at one point not realizing they were both hacking.... (all 3 reported)

Kinda sad indeed that BDO didn't put this kind of stuff server side.

But now I'm starting to what's taking all the bandwith that BDO uses. I've monitored my system quite a lot while playing BDO and it's using between 5 and 10% of the bandwith my LAN has (100Mbps due to a switch). Hack, if my son or wife are watching YouTube movies I can't even stream internet radion normally any more (32Mbps/3Mpbs VDSL only here)
    5-10Mbps is an aweful lot for a game to 'talk' with the server. Most other MMOs I've played came out around 1Mbps (or even lower).
    Anyway, can't really be bothered at the moment about the hack. I've kinda overplayed BDO (almost 30 days active gametime since launch) and only log on for the event to get the bird. Might be active again next week or so...
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Dakeru said:
    'We are aware of the situation and we will work hard to make things better.'

I'm too old to believe this standard reply has any meaning.
    It is not about being too old to believe that, it is about being old enough to understand you cannot get any other reply...
  • XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:

It's probably that for some people, their self worth comes in winning, not in how they won, but just that they won.

I doubt this is the case, I see a lot of this sentiment.  Sure cheaters suck and ruin things for other people, but I sincerely doubt they get their "self worth" from cheating and winning.  More likely they think its funny and are excited that cheating in that way is possible.  In the end this type of thing is a short lived reward and kills the game for the cheaters as well.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Xyire said:
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:

It's probably that for some people, their self worth comes in winning, not in how they won, but just that they won.

I doubt this is the case, I see a lot of this sentiment.  Sure cheaters suck and ruin things for other people, but I sincerely doubt they get their "self worth" from cheating and winning.  More likely they think its funny and are excited that cheating in that way is possible.  In the end this type of thing is a short lived reward and kills the game for the cheaters as well.
    I've met two people that I know cheat at every game they play no matter what is at stake.  I felt they did it for respect because they have self esteem issues.  "People admire and respect me for winning at Monopoly."  Yet somehow they keep doing it and I always wondered what it did to their self esteem when they lost after cheating.  Which I also witnessed many times with these people.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I hope they update there cheat system.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Statistically, the vast majority of players in competitive online games will be average or below average in performance.

So it's no surprise that so many people cheat in an attempt to improve their results. Of course, the more people cheat, the more the honest players come under pressure to cheat as well, simply to remain in the "average results" band...
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited April 2016
    Was'nt it the same kind of issue The Division had during their last Beta (As in Ammo, armor, stats, etc. that were managed on the client side, which lead to easy hacks on PC) ?

I have'nt found anything related to any fix for this, outside of the reply from their PR similar to the one given by Daum here. But judging by the amount of hacks that still exists (not counting exploits that give an edge to the few who use them until they get patched), I don't think whatever they may have done was of much help anyways, so I doubt we will see much done from PA... and all Daum could do is ban the guilty ones... we will just have to wait and see if they have the balls to do it or not.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    Xyire said:
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:

I've met two people that I know cheat at every game they play no matter what is at stake.  I felt they did it for respect because they have self esteem issues.  "People admire and respect me for winning at Monopoly."  Yet somehow they keep doing it and I always wondered what it did to their self esteem when they lost after cheating.  Which I also witnessed many times with these people.
    It could be that those two have self esteem issues, but there are lots of other problems that can cause behaviors like that other than self esteem. For instance, they could also just enjoy games, but realize they suck at them so cheating makes them on a more even playing field.  Or, there could also be a compulsion to cheat much like pathological lying - knowing they can cheat makes them want to do it. It could even be an extension of min/maxing behavior where you do everything possible to make your character the strongest it can be. Also, as SpottyGekko said, people tend to cheat to improve their results.  This is true in life and games, and lots of cheating happens in both for this very reason.

I didn't mean to say that no one who cheats has self esteem issues, more of a there are many different facets to that particular problem.  Cheaters are frequently thought of as low self esteem people. I believe that sentiment is mostly trying to make the non-cheaters feel like they have done the right thing by not cheating and accounts for a tiny portion of the people who are actually cheating.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

All joking aside, this never should have happened to begin with.  
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Xyire said:
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:

While I did say "some people" I should point out that there are studies that look at how one's self esteem relates to cheaters. It's not like this is being pulled out of thin air.

However, I would agree that there are probably many reasons why people cheat.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    BDO .........circling the Bowl
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    The game is big enough to take a hit and come through unscathed. But they need to double time their efforts; the longer it takes for them to fix these issues, the more people will start using these cheats. Chop chop, Daum.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Sovrath said:

Distopia said:

It's probably that for some people their self worth comes in winning, not in how they won, but just that they won.

You forget the people who like to just generally piss people off.
    Nanfoodle said:

Sovrath said:

Distopia said:

You forget the people who like to just generally piss people off.
    Which usually stems from self esteem issues or sadism take your pick :P.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I'm shocked that any of these things are sitting on the client.  I just assumed that after years of understanding how exploitable it is, no game developers were dumb enough to code it this way.

Mind blowing.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

H0urg1ass said:

I'm shocked that any of these things are sitting on the client.  I just assumed that after years of understanding how exploitable it is, no game developers were dumb enough to code it this way.

Mind blowing.

You would think so huh? Kinda like common sense is not so common, so it would seem lol
    H0urg1ass said:

Mind blowing.
    I'm more shocked it's just now coming to light TBH. You'd think this would have been a big topic long ago; before it even hit the west. I doubt the west is any more prone to have cheaters in games than anywhere else, unless you count those not playing on their own machines in Asia (cafes).. or am I wrong about that?