Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Engineers(1.6/2.1) Road to Beta Video's

TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
FD have posted some videos from the live stream showcasing some of the new features that will be included in 1.6/2.1 patch that will be going into beta May 8.  

Thermal Shock:  For the other ship to overheat.  

Regeneration Sequence:  Allows you to repair the shields of a wingmate

Outfitting:  New way to outfit your ship

Map States:  Easy way to find missions and events.  

Map Bookmarks:  About time, no need to purchase Sidewinders

Hardpoint - Multicannon:  New Huge weapon

Hardpoint - Beam Laser:  New Huge weapon

Force Shell (Montage):  New way to troll other players

Full stream:  On the Horizon – Countdown to The Engineers Beta Livestream: Part 1

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I see they're still adding systems instead of meaningful content.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    DKLond said:
    You need systems in place to add enough variety of content to use those systems. Work it out ffs :D
    wyldmagik said:
    DKLond said:
    You need systems in place to add enough variety of content to use those systems. Work it out ffs :D
    We have lots of systems, what we don't have is content.

I don't mind more systems, but content is key.

Unless you're in denial and you just like watching numbers grow, of course.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2016
    DKLond said:
    Yeah, because new systems =/= content, yet meaningful, right?

/yawn
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn
    I'm trying to make sense of that, but I can't. Could you rephrase?
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn
    How hard can it be to grasp? The more systems/features in a game relating to "control of your character choices" is == having more variety in style and progressing content in missions, making you use all the available "systems/features" to your ability to complete said mission.

Why did I have to waste my time explaining to you, are you really in need of hand holding?
    wyldmagik said:
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn
    How hard can it be to grasp? The more systems/features in a game relating to "control of your character choices" is == having more variety in style and progressing content in missions, making you use all the available "systems/features" to your ability to complete said mission.

Why did I have to waste my time explaining to you, are you really in need of hand holding?
    So, you're saying you don't mind not having more content so long as you have game systems to enjoy the incredibly repetitive missions and ultra-derivative planets in a zillion ways?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    DKLond said:
    So, you're saying you don't mind not having more content so long as you have game systems to enjoy the incredibly repetitive missions and ultra-derivative planets in a zillion ways?
    You are slowly getting there...
    To each his own, I guess :)

Enjoy your systems, in that case.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Oh look, quality of life changes that should've been in the game from the beginning!

That's free right?  Don't need to pay $60 $38 for UI tweaks?

I know Engineers is supposed to pave the way forward for actual simulation content (ie; not being a lifeless void with nothing but text for people and objects), but seriously.. it's been over 2 years since the playable alpha and the game is almost as bare as it was back then, except it got more expensive.

While Star Citizen isn't complete, they're making soooo much more progress than Frontier despite starting development later.  By the time E:D gets any meaningful content, Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will have taken their audience.

Oh, and No Man's Sky.. totally forgot about that.  $60 is still less than what I paid for E:D+H, so I guess I can accept that price.  We can actually walk around planets with life!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Missions are being worked on, they have been updated and will continue to recieve updates.
    Planets are based on First Principles, if you have a problem with their composition take it up with the Universe.
    The second livestream "Countdown to The Engineers Beta" is tomorrow night, 7PM BST - https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/live
    DKLond said:
    wyldmagik said:
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn

Is that at all what I said? No. I like the way you take something that is so obvious in a reply and just let it go right over ones head and then slip in your own nutty half assessed vision.

What you should of interpreted is that some of us are abe to wait for more indepth "longer played out" missions if that means adding more systems and features into the game first. Anyone with half an ability to fathom this would appreciate having more to do to get something done in the game. Sure we can say right now things are extreme in the simplicity of mission types and what needs to be done with them, but to complain about a developer putting in more systems/feature first to allow more variation in gameplay is counter productive.

Please do tell everyone, how would you like them to add more depth to missions with the tools that are only right now available to us all? The deeper the systems the better fleshed out missions can be. All this really boils down to is that some people and sure they have the right to say so are not happy spending a little bit of money on a game that is in an on going dev status and then have to be patient.

There is plenty else to do in the world with your life right now, don't get yourself all eaten up on one thing, move around and return when the grass is much greener, play little and often and enjoy what you can for the time being. Jumping up and down wanting things to be better right now is not how the world works. Just go look at the doom and gloom on the news and see how long shit takes to get done even with the real world.
    wyldmagik said:
    DKLond said:
    wyldmagik said:
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn

Is that at all what I said? No. I like the way you take something that is so obvious in a reply and just let it go right over ones head and then slip in your own nutty half assessed vision.

What you should of interpreted is that some of us are abe to wait for more indepth "longer played out" missions if that means adding more systems and features into the game first. Anyone with half an ability to fathom this would appreciate having more to do to get something done in the game. Sure we can say right now things are extreme in the simplicity of mission types and what needs to be done with them, but to complain about a developer putting in more systems/feature first to allow more variation in gameplay is counter productive.

Please do tell everyone, how would you like them to add more depth to missions with the tools that are only right now available to us all? The deeper the systems the better fleshed out missions can be. All this really boils down to is that some people and sure they have the right to say so are not happy spending a little bit of money on a game that is in an on going dev status and then have to be patient.

There is plenty else to do in the world with your life right now, don't get yourself all eaten up on one thing, move around and return when the grass is much greener, play little and often and enjoy what you can for the time being. Jumping up and down wanting things to be better right now is not how the world works. Just go look at the doom and gloom on the news and see how long shit takes to get done even with the real world.
    They could simply add scripted missions worth doing. Like a story campaign. Are you saying the game can't support a bunch of text with voice-overs?

As for being willing to wait, I'm more than willing. I already paid a fortune for the game, so I'll be happy if it ever becomes worth my time.

That doesn't change that they're not adding what I want, though.
    DKLond said:
    They could simply add scripted missions worth doing. Like a story campaign. Are you saying the game can't support a bunch of text with voice-overs?

As for being willing to wait, I'm more than willing. I already paid a fortune for the game, so I'll be happy if it ever becomes worth my time.

They could indeed add a story campaign consisting of scripted missions and voice overs except that is not the ethos of Elite, nor has it ever been. Anyone who bought it for that bought the wrong product.

DKLond said:

They could indeed add a story campaign consisting of scripted missions and voice overs except that is not the ethos of Elite, nor has it ever been. Anyone who bought it for that bought the wrong product.

exactly, when I want that I will go play my ESO or SWTOR etc. Which I do. DKLond is just probably passionate about wanting to play a great fleshed out space sim, we all do, but at least we are not in the waiting que that is star citizen. We have that to be thankful of, and ED is at least giving us stuff we can actually get on with over nothing much but fly around the same system/s. Which will be exactly what SC is going to be, limited play area not a full galaxy or multiples of. Remember SC was all about the universe is your home do as you pleaes type sales pitch, now look at it.

I always look at other games and what was promised when sizing up games that are getting stick etc, and elite dangerous is at least delivering each of its modules for  system and feature progress and on track.
    edited April 2016
    wyldmagik said:
    DKLond said:

exactly, when I want that I will go play my ESO or SWTOR etc. Which I do. DKLond is just probably passionate about wanting to play a great fleshed out space sim, we all do, but at least we are not in the waiting que that is star citizen. We have that to be thankful of, and ED is at least giving us stuff we can actually get on with over nothing much but fly around the same system/s. Which will be exactly what SC is going to be, limited play area not a full galaxy or multiples of. Remember SC was all about the universe is your home do as you pleaes type sales pitch, now look at it.

I always look at other games and what was promised when sizing up games that are getting stick etc, and elite dangerous is at least delivering each of its modules for  system and feature progress and on track.
    Actually, the very first Elite had a story campaign  - even if it was incredibly simple and most was told in a separate novella. Frontier - First Encounters also introduced story.

So, I can't agree it couldn't be part of a "true" Elite game and work. Also, I believe Braben fully intends to add more story at "some point" - so even he would seem to disagree, or maybe I misunderstood what he said.

However, I'm not telling them what to do - and I'm not asking them to do anything.

All I'm saying is that I require real and meaningful content to enjoy a game.

If you don't, that's great - and I have no problem with that. Thankfully, there are other games out  there - but very few modern multiplayer space sims.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    I have to echo the question @DAOWAce asked.

Will these features be a free upgrade?

I'm in the same boat as @DKLond and many others I'm sure as far as this game is concerned. Still waiting for content. Still waiting to get my $50 worth of a game.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited April 2016
    Some of these features will be available for people that only have the base game. Some of them require ownership of the expansion. If the base game was the only requirement then nobody would buy the expansion, this way everybody gets a bit of pie.

In the same way that a patch for WotLK would have required ownership of WotLK, one wouldn't expect the patch to apply if they only owned Burning Crusade.

In all honesty, it sounds like you would be better off letting the game simmer for 2 or 3 more years, at which point it will have had the average development time of your normal game / MMO.

I swear we only discussed this a couple of days ago.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited April 2016
    Some of these features will be available for people that only have the base game. Some of them require ownership of the expansion. If the base game was the only requirement then nobody would buy the expansion, this way everybody gets a bit of pie.

In the same way that a patch for WotLK would have required ownership of WotLK, one wouldn't expect the patch to apply if they only owned Burning Crusade.

In all honesty, it sounds like you would be better off letting the game simmer for 2 or 3 more years, at which point it will have had the average development time of your normal game / MMO.

I swear we only discussed this a couple of days ago.
    So yes it's free then. That's nice of them. =)

I understand with the splitting of the game their are now 2 iterations (1.6 and 2.1) I was just wondering if this was an agreed upon paid addition. I am glad they are trying to make this game better for both groups.

You are correct about "letting the game simmer for 2 or 3 more years". I fully expect by then for it to be finished. I also believe that they will give the full game to those that bought it before launch like myself. That would be the correct thing to do. I am not a "hater" per se but I do think this parting out policy is bullshit. But if folks want to pay that then sure go ahead. More money more game right? I for one will just wait until I get my full game I paid for. I have many games to play in between.

EDIT: BTW I'm surprised to see the Bars on you. You seem to be a level headed, civil dude, even when you are being a contrarian. I won't hold it against you! ;)

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:

EDIT: BTW I'm surprised to see the Bars on you. You seem to be a level headed, civil dude, even when you are being a contrarian. I won't hold it against you! ;)

Thank you :) Generaly I'm quite level headed but I can get a bit irate, especially when I'm being accused of things that aren't true. There are also people on these boards who know how to leverage the moderation system for their own benefit, which I happen to think is quite cowardly.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Gdemami said:
    DKLond said:

/yawn
    If I were to go by Steam reviews it would tell me there is a significant difference between systems and "meaningful content", but hey why would I let people who play the game tell me it's current issues.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Hmm, that's more of a problem with Steam's clientele tbh, and lets face it, on the whole Steam reviews are worth less metacritic reviews for objectivity. When you have gems like "1550 hours played - game is not worth your money" or "Got griefed by NPCs this gaem is crap", no-one should take them seriously.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Hmm, that's more of a problem with Steam's clientele tbh, and lets face it, on the whole Steam reviews are worth less metacritic reviews for objectivity. When you have gems like "1550 hours played - game is not worth your money" or "Got griefed by NPCs this gaem is crap", no-one should take them seriously.

I've read a lot of their reviews, while there are plenty with the age old 10/10 would do it again crap you see there, there were plenty that gave sound reasoning for their reluctance to recommend a purchase and almost all of them cited the same thing as being the problem, most of the content (especially planet side) simply isn't fleshed out yet. I really don't want another X-rebirth in my collection at present.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

To me, the sad thing is that the technology and core systems are really solid. Game looks great, feels great and even sounds great.

I have a Saitek x52 pro setup - and the game is a joy to control.

It's just that it feels so incredibly repetitive and pointless after a short while. I mean, I stopped being interested in accumulating wealth for the sake of wealth with Pirates! back in the 80s.

I don't need that much, just a story or the promise of something truly unique or worthwhile to find while exploring.

But I absolutely despise "generated" content with zero human craft behind it. It's so painfully dull and obviously systemic.

That's just me, though.