Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which gaming site reviews do you trust?

reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Which gaming site do you guys read reviews from and agree with most often?

I'm just over Gamespot.  I know you can't agree with a site 100% of the time, but I don't know what's up with them.  I used to trust their reviews but it just seems like something different is going on over there. 

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Gamespot and the IGN network are really annoying if you ask me. Its like they are paid to given certain games good reviews. If you can you should use a free trial to play the game to base your own opinion. However, this sometimes cannot be done; so I trust people more then a biased reviewer. Sure some people are just trolls, and some people are fanboys; but every once in a while someone will tell the truth about a game. You can tell who this is too because they arent at the ends of the spectrum when it comes to talking about the game; they will typically mention good and bad points.

• I listen to my fellow gamers (the ones who aren't agents of corporations) and to my own experience. Gaming forums are loaded with corporate goons posing as gamers; their main goal is to spread developer friendly "ideas" like: sandbox game, permadeath, "good graphics are for sissies", purging, etc.. MMORPG.com has been compromised by hackers, bots and corporate agents. Take a look at the game rating system for example; EVE online has 80,000-90,000 subscribers and is rated #1 while World of Warcraft has 6,000,000 subscribers but is rated #3.

If you want to find out who owns a website checkout http://www.whois.net/

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Originally posted by Cleffy

Gamespot and the IGN network are really annoying if you ask me. Its like they are paid to given certain games good reviews. If you can you should use a free trial to play the game to base your own opinion. However, this sometimes cannot be done; so I trust people more then a biased reviewer. Sure some people are just trolls, and some people are fanboys; but every once in a while someone will tell the truth about a game. You can tell who this is too because they arent at the ends of the spectrum when it comes to talking about the game; they will typically mention good and bad points.

Very true.  I've gotten tired of Gamespot myself.  I really don't even go to their site anymore.  I used to check them out a lot.  Lately I get the impression they're just a little too cozy with some of the industry. 

I've been checking out this site and so far I have been pretty impressed.
    http://www.gamedaily.com/

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

You really can't trust anyone but yourself to judge whether or not you will enjoy a game. That having been said, I trust PC Gamer with their reviews. They seem to have impartial professionals who aren't swayed by popular opinion.

I trust nothing on the internet though except myself.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Believe it or not? I trust gametrailers.com the most. They are extremely balanced and offer great video reviews. However, they are an up and coming website, so naturally advertisement is a must. Therefore, you have to take into consideration that the games that they advertise (specifically Ghost Recon: AW and DnDO) may be portrayed with a little bias. The funny part is, though, that if you pay close enough attention, they almost warn you to realize that this game is one of their advertised games.

Bottom line: www.gametrailers.com offers the most thurough video reviews, very easy to access, very easy to understand, and they offer great gameplay footage.

-Machiavelli

• Gouki4uGouki4u Member Posts: 215

I don't listen to any reviews. They are useful if they talk about certain features of the game, and how they work, but I ignore the opinions of the people who write them. The only time I'll pay attention to a game's reviews is if it gets universally really high, or low scores from various sources.

Oddly enough I usually agree with the guys over at penny arcade, but they don't really review games. I just have similar tastes, and usually like the games they like. Since they are completely upfront about why they like certain games, and don't pull any punches if they think a game is garbage I don't feel as if they are trying to giude my money to their advertisers.

So basically I never buy a game just because it gets a ton of good reviews. I buy games that look interesting, but will avoid something if enough people warn me away from it.

Sometimes for a laugh I like to read "user reviews" over at ebgames.com. Rampant fanboism can be funny.

When people will pay others to play a game for them it might be a sign the game isn't all that fun.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I actually trust the guys at Penny Arcade pretty implicitly. ( www.penny-arcade.com )

Every so often they'll talk about a game and what they liked about it or what they disliked. They were talking about how much fun they had with the Burnout series of games (which I'd never really seen or played before) so I took a chance and fell in love with the game. I generally find that every time they say a game is good, I like it as well. However, I'm sure there are people out there who differ in opinion with them.

The thing is you gotta just keep looking at review sites and reading the reviews. You then have to try the games (always important) to find out if you agree with the site's rundown on the game. You basically just have to keep trying until you find a site that generally feels the same way about games that you do. If you find a site where you agree with most of the reviews, chances are they'll help you out in the future.

I know how you feel though, I have a friend who lives his whole gaming life based on reviews. He won't even touch a game unless he sees (good) reviews on it first. If a game gets a bad review, he won't even look at it. It's very frustrating cause I find these great games which he won't even bother with cause he hasn't found a review on it yet, so I play and he doesn't, then months down the road he finds the game and likes it and I've been done with it for a while, heh.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953
    Player reviews.  Read about 30 of them and you get the general gist of it.  Its easy to spot the company posting bots (aka fanboys).
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

The reviews here are too fluffy.

The only reviews I tend to be intrested in are forum based ones, from people with a menatlly noted track record of enjoying the same games as me.

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Can you trust this site?

I understand how good it is for them to get interviews from difficult Developers of certain MMORPGs but when the interview is pure fluff, does your trust in this site go down a little bit when this site then posts said fluff interview? Then you get a sense this site feels proud of that.

Not a fan of the moderation either on this site.

Not a fan that this site dosen't call out games for doing the wrong thing, but supports it by its unbiased forums for certain sites.

I'm a MMO fan, and this is the most concise site to talk about MMOs but frankly they are not passionate enough about MMOs they are trying to be to mainstream. Plus I do not like their stances on certain ads that appear on it. I don't care about the reasons or they whys/why nots, certain ads are just wrong.

I'm trust PC Gamer magazine more than Computer Gaming World magazine.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

I read reviews from multiple sources, including game forums, and make my conclusions by comparing them.

Whether you like a game or not is a matter of taste, of course. Just because some reviewer in Gamespot or mmorpg.com liked it doesn't mean that you'll draw the same conclusions when you play the game. As to this, the most important aspect of a review is focusing on describing the game in as much detail as possible, so that the reader can decide for himself whether that game is for his own taste or not.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

EASY ...NONE!

I base a game on my own gameplay.If it doesn't offer a free trial then the game is garbage as far as im concerned.If there budget is so tight they cant offer a free trial ,then i can only assume the game was made in haste and is most likely fulla holes and missing alot.I have seen a ton of absolutley garbage games ,that people are actually paying to play.Either they are mis-informed or have just graduated from super nintendo ,so every new game will look good in there eyes.

Every interview i have seen ,NEVER hits the topic on the nose but merely grazes the surface with there questions.They leave all the questions "open" to answers that sound like presidential speeches.

example..how does your game differ from all the other mmo's?

"Our game will break new grounds in every aspect ,making it a totally new breathe of fresh air for gamers.Pvp will reach new heights in our game,with a totally new skill system.Players will be able to change the whole face of the game with there own interactions and ideas.[lmao] this is the type of stuff i am reading,they never get to any point or say how they will achieve anything ,they just sound like "Bush"

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

In God we trust..

Everyone else shuffle the cards

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Member Posts: 568

1up.com, Penny-arcade, and joystiq.com - from what I have heard all seem to be good sites.... the penny-arcade forums also are very helpful since if you find the game talked about there its usually good, gamers talking about games, instead of a review site trying to get ad dollars.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

None.

I only "trust" my fellow players, usually the beta testers, to provide reliable information about a new game.

Unfortunately, many are either so emotional they must be discounted or so poorly communicative as nearly useless.

Sometimes you get a good beta tester who has really "tested" the game and is able to provide objective information, with many examples and comparisons, about the game.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

In bittorrent I trust.

No seriously, with so many crap out of the mill games out there, it's no wonder why p2p is expanding. I tend to download a game or try a demo to see if I like it. If I like it enough, I'll buy it.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

www.gamerankings.com

This site takes the reviews from several gaming sites and combines it into an average score for every game. It's a good way to see the general trend of how people reviewed the game. If it's all over the place (60-90%), I try to see why the 60% people didn't like it. If it's nice and close (80-90%), I know that the game is probably pretty good.

Of course, there are games out there that the reviews say are good but we personally just don't like them. I'm pretty sure some of you don't like sports games and I myself think Halo sucks.

• HuntnHuntn Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by anarchyart
    You really can't trust anyone but yourself to judge whether or not you will enjoy a game. That having been said, I trust PC Gamer with their reviews. They seem to have impartial professionals who aren't swayed by popular opinion.
    I trust nothing on the internet though except myself.

I'm neutral about PC Gamer because they have raved about games I've ended up not caring for. I realize it is their opinion against mine, but it appears kind of like news stations who "make" the news by hyping it. However I do believe that most of the games they label as bad are bad. :)

-Hunt'n

-----------------------
    Past MMOs- Planetside, WoW.
    Current MMO:
    Current Games: L4D, Skyrim
    Tried- ATITD, EQ2, SoR, Vanguard,SL,LOTRO,SotNW,SWTOR.
    Anticipating- GW2, Planetside2

• rae1213carae1213ca Member Posts: 64

http://www.ign.com/

I like there reviews. They also have tips and cheats for noobs out there =D. They have movie clips, everything this site has for games stuff =D