Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endless dungeons & Content Deprecation - Eorzea Reborn

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageEndless dungeons & Content Deprecation - Eorzea Reborn

Victor talks about a new feature coming in Patch 3.35, as well as his fears for it.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Me and my FC runs Diadem every night. We also still chocobo race. Have you queued for chocobo racing? the queue is like 10 seconds. Lords of Verminion should have been it's own stand alone game like HotS or whatever.

And yes, almost everybody will run exploratory missions after the next expansion. Why wouldent we? Everything in this game has a purpose.
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    My worry is that exploratory missions won't get upgrades, but I do see your point. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    >Play solo or in a party of up to 4 adventurers.

MMO that encourage to play solo -_-
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well this content is on a completely different progression scale where you literally start at level 1 on a particular class and work your way up per class. It has potential....but so did Diadem.
    Scellow said:
    >Play solo or in a party of up to 4 adventurers.

MMO that encourage to play solo -_-
    In this defense, we do have a lot of FORCED GROUPING in the games so....yeah.
    Albatroes said:
    Well this content is on a completely different progression scale where you literally start at level 1 on a particular class and work your way up per class. It has potential....but so did Diadem.
    Diadem will get the attention it needs soon. If they just add incentive to go in for some. But, most do play Diadem still, HM and NM.
    Aori said:
    I loved the game but I'm a lone wolf player or open world group player. I loathe forced grouping instanced content, just can't tolerate the community it fosters. It also feels less like an MMO and more like a lobby game.

So the idea of solo dungeons is kinda nice.
    Vindictus is a lobby game. FF XIV ARR is far from it.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Aori said:

I loved the game but I'm a lone wolf player or open world group player. I loathe forced grouping instanced content, just can't tolerate the community it fosters. It also feels less like an MMO and more like a lobby game.

No, Aori is right, this game is VERY instanced based, at least the endgame/group content is. Its actually one of the things that put me off the game (along with a long list of others coming from FFXI)

Also that new content sound more like Salvage from XI where you climb up floor levels and hit save points and found items that unlocked things or gave buffs with more to it you would likely never see in XIV.
    zanfire said:

Aori said:

No, Aori is right, this game is VERY instanced based, at least the endgame/group content is. Its actually one of the things that put me off the game (along with a long list of others coming from FFXI)

Also that new content sound more like Salvage from XI where you climb up floor levels and hit save points and found items that unlocked things or gave buffs with more to it you would likely never see in XIV.
    No, thats fine, what is wrong and NOT makes it a lobby game is were not stuck in ONE town at all times and we have to leave to do open world stuff and cant log off there or just adventure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchmaking_(video_games)

"

Lobbies[edit]

Lobbies are menu screens where players can inspect the upcoming game session, examine the results of the last, change their settings, and talk to each other.[2]

In many games players return to the lobby at the end of each session. In some, players joining a session that has already started are placed in the lobby until the start of the next. As lobbies consume very few resources they are sometimes additionally used as a "holding pen" for players while a suitable host for the coming session is found.

Lobbies created by playlists often have a countdown timer before the session starts, while lobbies created by a player generally transition at that player's discretion.[2]"

===========================================

FF XIV ARR is NOT a lobby game and far from it.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited April 2016
    Deekins said:
    I enjoy pet classes, I loved BST in XI. I am hoping at some point that YoshiP adds a proper pet class. And no I don't consider SMN a proper pet class, it really is nothing like SMN from XI. The Egi or whatever they are look like a mutated shit from the actual Avatar itself. And 3, 3 whole pets to summon. At least give me more. 

I guess that is fine since XIV is a game on its own. But I want a pet class that is an actual pet class. The day they add BST I may actually play this game quite a bit more than 1 month at a time. But for the time being I find almost every class so damned boring it is mind numbing.

I do enjoy XIV for what it is though, and I'm glad those that enjoy it have something to play. I just wish they had more classes that appealed to me. I found NIN ok, but really I just prefer pets in a game.
    i hear u , i was bst in FFXI too , SMN and PUP too :3 , but FFXI is a different beast (pun intended) , i dont think BST will be  implemented the way we the players want it.... and it will another letdown (like SMN)

the new content looks awesome , i have hope ...but after diadem , LoV ...i dunno ...

afaik , in FFXIV pets do 30% of the dmg for SMN aprox.... but in FFXIV u can resummon it instantly using swiftcast (1min CD) , plus pets are nearly inmortal anyway =/
    edited April 2016
    Monks is the top class for a reason is one of the top DPS PLUS IS THE TANK of the game (huge hp pool) , is mandatory for all the content , and the more u have the better u do .

BST is 1% because is has been always a "solo" job , isnt stelar on parties (FFXI is almost based on doing content with parties ) is no wonder bst is 1% , choosing btw BST or any other dps ....that means BST is usless? FAR FROM IT , bst shines in lots of content (lowman ) can even offtank , CC and have some burst , but cant come close to what other dps can do (the utility of lets say SAM , PUP (can change to whm automaton and heal) ect...so in the end BST is limited in party content , u cant have everything in FFXI...some jobs are close tho :open_mouth: 

anyway calm down :) :anguished: 
    edited April 2016
    u guys are going to nowhere..... D:

FFXI is almost done ...sadly because no other mmorpg will take its place in my heart :heartbreak: :(  , SE said that they was done...later on said that nope , who knows... i for one would love to see FFXI : A real reborn ;) , but SE has now FFXIV as main mmorpg and its the "future" ....

lets put some music to the discussion :3

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    edited April 2016
    Oh the amount of wrong you are Mr. Hellboundhearts. Unless you have played both games extensively (someone like myself) dont try and act like you know how things worked or played out (DRG pet doing half your damage...really? that alone makes it clear as day you have NO clue). You must be pretty gullible to believe those "5 million subs" stuff that even level headed FFXIV know is a load of crap, but you must be correct when you post random "top MMOs" and one site that even says it in a way that means its not 5 million at once: "the game has accumulated a total of five million paid subscribers during its 21 months on the market." That means if you basically bought the game or subbed for a single month you were in that list, even if you quit ages ago.
    Deekins said:
    I would love to see FFXI redone as it is today with all updated stuff. But I don't know if that would happen. I don't want to see it rolled back to what it was before all these QoL changes that have taken place. I love the new way of leveling. I love the trust, those things are great, though sometimes they like to go off and do things are their own. But overall an updated engine, some newer graphics and a couple things here and there, that would be great.

Funny enough when FFXIV released I loved it a lot more than ARR. It was a pretty good game like that, though buggy as all hell. But most didn't like how it was setup. To bad really, as I loved the THM than. It was great. And I wasn't really a caster type person. But as all things it evolved into ARR. Which is great for those that love it. I do like the whole Chocobo companion thing.
    How can you say that in it's failing state, XIV was good. It's one of the worst mmo's in history. It was so bad that most left by the 5th day in, me included. It crashed and burned and what we have now is gold. Not even the fanboys could save the train wreck. The name and franchise alone could not save it from destruction. 

No, ARR is the best thing to happen to XIV. It brought us back and were still here. Legacy 1.0 and so is our FC.

When FF XIV ARR shuts down, i'm moving on.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    FFXI has way more grinding than XIV ever will. It took me almost a year to get my first job to 75, and that was when BLM's were considered good in XP PT's. At endgame the XP grind didn't stop because of merits, and then there were endgame activities, all of which took forever. When playing FFXIV, nobody ever called my cell phone at 2 a.m. to tell me to log on because the Nidhogg spawn window just opened. Then I got to sit in Dragon's Aery for three hours only to be out-claimed by another LS. 

I miss FFXI, but it was extremely grindy and extremely time consuming. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited April 2016
    [mod edit]

Edit: On topic, I felt like the way the content was released in ffxiv made it depreciated from the day it was released and the way progression worked. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Dam it .. Dam it all to hell , that sounds fun ... wtf ...... need time ... bahh
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited April 2016
    FFXI isn't done, they decided to carry on with updates. It gets more updates than XIV right now, every month they put out a new patch.

It's PC only now though and they removed almost all of the old grinding.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Can someone please explain how I can buy the expansion? My account for the store is separate from my game account so I don't know how that works... will I get a product code or some other kind of deal allowing me link my Heavensward expac to the game, or what?

Can someone please explain how I can buy the expansion? My account for the store is separate from my game account so I don't know how that works... will I get a product code or some other kind of deal allowing me link my Heavensward expac to the game, or what?

uhm? afaik u can buy it on the mogstation using your log in credentials (same as when u log in on the launcher)

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Thanks Deekins and Warlyx! I'll give it a shot tonight :D I appreciate you guys letting me know so quickly!
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    XI is far from done. That said this sounds good, and hope the GC platoon will let me solo/duo story content with the wife, since our schedule makes it hard for us to group.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I thought the same thing Driven, but I guarantee the rewards will be inferior even to the token rewards.  If not, nobody will do the daily roulettes any more.  In which case, this new content will be worthless. 
    That's the problem with games that are set up for progression to last in three month bursts.  It's also why crafting will never consistently be worthwhile.
    It's because of this that I left and will likely never return.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Me and my FC runs Diadem every night. We also still chocobo race. Have you queued for chocobo racing? the queue is like 10 seconds. Lords of Verminion should have been it's own stand alone game like HotS or whatever.

And yes, almost everybody will run exploratory missions after the next expansion. Why wouldent we? Everything in this game has a purpose.

Saying that everything in this game has a purpose is a stretch, because you know it's a case to case basis. Just because you get "something" out of doing an aspect of the game doesn't mean it holds the same value to everyone, even then it tends to have less value than you think. Not everyone that plays a MMO(RPG) feels the need to complete gearscore irrelevant content because they wanted the reskinned shiny chicken mount; which is becoming its own trend as of late as far as my GF and roomate is concerned. Certain elements of major content drops (primals e.t.c.) struggle to maintain relevance a short few weeks from release both due to the speed at which players consume the content and the speed of which gear becomes irrelevant. Mid patches are also for the most part useless before they even release to players actively playing the current major patch due to the "catch up content" theme they share.

All of this boils down to the ever famous two dungeons (down from 3 due to supposed "new content" to be added which all we have seen from it was the train wreck that was diadem and nothing up until this reported future feature) for the next 6 months for the gear progression centric casual player.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I thought the same thing Driven, but I guarantee the rewards will be inferior even to the token rewards.  If not, nobody will do the daily roulettes any more.  In which case, this new content will be worthless. 
    That's the problem with games that are set up for progression to last in three month bursts.  It's also why crafting will never consistently be worthwhile.
    It's because of this that I left and will likely never return.

This seems to be the constant theme and struggle of this game since 2.0 from what I've noticed. The need to shove dungeons/HUNTS/other boring dead end content that no one wants to do down peoples throats constantly messes with the shift of relevance when the "gearscore chase" this game employs with its "industry approved" vertical progression that EVERYONE loves. All the while running in fear of anything that would suggest player class customization and any form of alternate class advancement.