Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone playing Fable 3?

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
Hello!

I was a huge fan of Fable back in the days, but never made it to play Pt.3

Atm i'm having a moment of nostalgia and think of giving it a try. But before it buy it, i'm looking for some input from somebody who knows his way around in the Fable world.

How does #3 compare to the previous parts? Is it the same experience or did they change something so significantly that we've got a whole different game here? 
The game received alot of praise allover the media, but i'm rather looking for some info coming from a fellow gamer and fan of the series instead.

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I personally tried playing the third twice but both times ended up stopping because it's not that good imo.

Fable 1 is the best and the second is not bad.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited April 2016
    I agree with Bloodaxes. F1 = Best, F2 = okay, F3 = okay if you like Fable a lot.

But each title in the series is progressively worse, in my opinion, of course.

As a Fable fan, you will (probably) enjoy it, but play 2 first if you haven't already. 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I can't explain one of the game's biggest problems without spoiling the story, but let's just say the second half of the game is where it falls apart, both in terms of game play and story. What I can about the latter half is that it's almost impossible to get a decent ending without cheesing the game's mechanics. 

There are a few things in the first half and mechanics in general I can talk about though:
    1. The map is useless. Completely useless. Half the time it doesn't even match the area layout. This is rendered even more annoying because the little gold line which leads you to quest objectives tends to bug out and either disappear, or lead you in the wrong direction entirely. 
    2. Quests don't pay anything. The only way to make cash is to work at various trades, which are presented as minigames. You'll be playing these a lot until you've bought up enough property to bring your revenue via rent to a comfortable level. Problem there is, by the time that happens you generally don't need it. 
    3. A muscular female character looks like Reb Brown in drag. 
    4. The inventory system is fucking atrocious. You basically 'beam into' your lair and have to walk to the equipment section to change out your gear or spells... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And yes, there is a load screen. The only good thing is that you can see how large your mountain of gold is when you're rich. Sadly, you can't swim in it Scrooge McDuck style. 
    5. Even without spoilers, I can say that the overall plot makes absolutely no sense. At all. And I'm not including the ending in that assessment. It makes Diablo 3's base plot look like Tolkien by comparison. Some of the side quests are alright. 
    6. Less emotes and actions than the previous two games. 
    7. Zones feel smaller than F2's. 
    8. The multiplayer may as well not even exist. 
    9. Have I mentioned how bad the plot is yet?
    That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I honestly can't recommend the game at full price unless you absolutely adore the Fable series, and even then I'd say wait for a really good sale. There are some high points like the graphics, combat, and definitely the humor, but they're far outweighed by the bad. 

I was, and still am, highly disappointed by the game. The only way I'd ever play a Fable 4 is if Molyneux were prevented from coming within five or six miles of the game's assets and developers, or anything else having to do with it. 

Just go replay 1 or 2, and let your memories of the series remain untainted by the third. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I agree with Solar that it would be better to pick up on sale (at a deep discount).

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I only played it very briefly - and I stopped because performance was awful - and it smacked of being a rush-job.

I'm a fan of the original - which was quite endearing, if a bit too short.

I liked the sequel - but never got very far.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Being a Fable fan, I really enjoyed Fable 3.

Both the art style and the setting are great. The world feels quite vibrant and alive, true to the Fable franchise.

It is not an exact replica of Fable 1, so there are bound to be differences. Fable 1 was really groundbreaking for its time, which Fable 3 perhaps isn't. But does that mean Fable 3 isn't worth playing at all? Probably not.

I only stopped playing right before the end. Without spoiling the story, there is a gameplay mechanic where to get the best story outcome, you need a lot of gold. I thought this was a little silly, as you can literally leave the game running over 2 real life nights and be a winner. And if you don't, chances are it will be bitter sweet.

Other than that though, I'd say playing the game is better than not playing it, especially if you are a fan of the series.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Thank you everyone for your input :)