Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard on Cancelled Titan MMO: "We Failed Horrifically"

13»

Comments

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    gervaise1 said:
    JudgeUK said:
    I believe this failure spread a fear of large scale new development in other gaming companies. With the obvious concerns that "if Blizzard couldn't do it, then can we, and why take this risk now?"

So what we have now are 2nd hand imports, sometimes several years old, marketed to the West as the next great thing.

So after this, the question begs: Will we ever see a brand new grounds up game with all the features of the traditional mmorpg - dungeons, raids, pve and pvp servers, varied questing, good story, wide and varied classes, modern graphics  - and a monthly sub.

Or is FFXIV the last we will ever see, not fulfilling all this, but somewhere along these lines?
    FFXV releases at the end of Sept so is FFXIV the last? Easy answer: no.

Will FFXV attract "significant numbers from WoW"? Harder question: maybe. 
    I just want to point out that FFXV is a single player game and not an mmorpg like XIV or WoW.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited April 2016
    Could be worse, they could have pushed it into an Early Alpha Access release (money for garbage).
    Say what you want about Blizzard- they don't publish garbage.

That's why their customer base is running away en masse because of Blizzard stripping/dumbing down all the content and adding in cash shops to make up for the loss in revenue?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Muke said:
    That's why their customer base is running away en masse because of Blizzard stripping/dumbing down all the content and adding in cash shops to make up for the loss in revenue?
    Occam's Razor: "The game is twelve years old," the simplest explanation.

Why draw in the other myriad things that could be causing or contributing to the decline? Unnecessary complications. The simplest explanation is sufficient.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Most of the reason I left wow was the resources pulled from it for Titan. You could see it happen live in the raids, hell just reading the loot tables for the raids. They pulled their A team from WoW for Titan and they may not have been able to deliver on the premised they were tasked with  but the only people who actually fucked up were those who decided to start pushing expenditures on WoW down toward maintenance levels.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Muke said:
    Occam's Razor: "The game is twelve years old," the simplest explanation.

Why draw in the other myriad things that could be causing or contributing to the decline? Unnecessary complications. The simplest explanation is sufficient.
    Agreed.  A game that old will decline.  Even if they had expansions that people were happy with.  Eventually, people want something different and they move on.  At best, they move on and only come back for the expansions.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Other than being a disaster, I know nothing about it.  Why not let the players see it and we'll decide if it sucked.  Why not do what Id Software did many years ago with that version of Castle Wolfenstein where they decided to just give it away for free.  Was the game that incomplete?  I am thinking Robokapp is spot on. 

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited April 2016
    Thane said:
    Iwaylo said:
    They've been failing for a while with these shitty wow expansions.
    i wanna fail one of my games too like that some day.
    how many users do they have in their failures? 5 million? :)
    I dont think you understood my comment blind fanboy. The game is their biggest success. Facts are showing that their latest expansions are failure though. From cataclysm to WoD the population has been drastically dropping for a reason, because these expansions were FAILURE.

Sephiroso said:
    WoD=highest selling expansion to date.
    Source of this ? If i look at player numbers i'm pretty sure WotLK or even Cataclysm beats WoD. Actually if i look at player numbers WoD is probably one of the least sold expansion.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Curse of the Panda.  When I first saw that presentation my heart dropped.  Now they need an exorcism.
    Now imagine how i felt being a hardcore EQ fan when i watched the EQ:Next presentation (I even took the day off work).

One thing i can at least be eternally grateful for is sleeping soundly with the knowledge of that shit show being cancelled, and cancelled hard.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited April 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    I seriously doubt that scrapped all of the assets, turned off the lights and shuttered months of work entirely. 
    It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Blizzard's internal teams actually run multiple prototype projects and they do passes on each one to judge whether or not it's made enough progress to put more members into and push to completion. There are many partially developed titles by them the general consumers will simply never hear of.

Starcraft Ghost is an example of a title that was publicly announced and previews shown, but still got the plug pulled as well even though it's progress was well past Titan's state was. So it's not that alien of an idea for them to completely scrap a game.

That said, your sentiment on the matter is pretty accurate any ways. The most complete component of Titan was perhaps the upgrades done to their internal engine/software, but that really doesn't mean much if the scope and concept of the game being developed isn't well defined. A lot of the creative leads that made Blizzard what it is, simply are not with Blizzard any more, and it rather shows in the sequels and expansions they've released for a while now.

Instead they have taken to following the market, which means more MOBA games and jumping on the bandwagon that Gearbox et-al had started rolling with the likes of Battleborn, Paladins, etc.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    edited April 2016
    It's not the first time they scrapped  games they were working on, back then they just said, "it wasn't turning out to be the fun game we'd want to play", it's funny how they dress this up as a "We Failed Horrifically" when this is what Blizzard does, just drops something when it's clear  it's not coming together as they planned.

There were making a Warcraft adventure game in the 90's, then scrapped it halfway through and some of the assets from that game ended up in WOW some years later. This is what made Blizz great in the past, they'd scrap a project, and start again, rather than pushing on and release it anyway.

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    They thought Titan was a failure and cancelled it. Shame they didn't apply the same high stand to WoD.