Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok.. got to ask a comp help question

Ok,  I ordered a laptop from Dell about a month ago (Inspiron 8200.)  I'm not gonna waist time with all the specs but I have a question about the graphics card.  It came with a 32mb ATI Mobility Radon 9000, I've heard it's not a great (maybe not even a good card.) So, I'm wondering if anyones had experience with the card; does it run new games well, I'm looking to buy WOW think I'll need something better?  And if anyone knows about Dells/laptops in general, is it possible to change the cardimage

Thnx  image

Thinking of strange days
And wet-dream escapades
Oh this summer is sweet sleep
Because we are living day dreams

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

k well i havent had the 9000 but im assuming it compares to like the geforce 4 mx40 --or wahtever it was

i havent heard good things

had a gateway solo though...and gateway is just like dell

never upgraded it though...just sold it

sorry for not being able to helpimage

• findnolimitfindnolimit Member Posts: 112
    All good Murt thnx for posting...  I'm getting the comp on the 22nd so I'll know when I try it.. but I'm worried that I'll be stuck with an expensive laptop that can only serve as a trumped up word processer... and I'll be damned if I can't at least try WOW

Thinking of strange days
    And wet-dream escapades

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984
    Lol... imageimageimage hehe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Oh my god... dont ask where i found it

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

yea lol

i really don't like laptops...except only for business and work

i would get a desktop

then if you get more money a laptop

• findnolimitfindnolimit Member Posts: 112

No dice on the desktop... I move around to much and don't have a big enough place to be hauling something like that around.  I used to play AC1 off a laptop and it was great... Just wanted to know how the card help up in todays game market.  Guess I'll put up some other specs...  to see if my system will hold up too... 2.2 ghz pentium 4 with 512 mb DDR ram... anthing else important?

Thinking of strange days
    And wet-dream escapades

its an alright system

wont run extreme though

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Ok... I guess before I say anything else I would ask you... why did you order it without knowing what you were getting? A little late to be asking if you purchased a "really expensive word processor" since the thing is already on the way to you. =)

Other than the graphics chipset, the most important thing in a laptop is probably the hard drive. The RPM/ seek times on mobile hard drives are probably the biggest bottleneck in laptops. The one you got is probably 4500 RPM. The system you ordered will probably play most games out now passibly well... But it is not a DirectX 9 graphics chip... so upcoming games may be a problem.

Here's a review of a system very similar to the one you purchased... the review is a year old, but it shows performance under UT2k3, JK2, and also some of the features of the chip.

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1692&p=1

fozz