Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is Craig? Or any of the other owners?

2»

Comments

• freakkyfreakky Member UncommonPosts: 113
    edited April 2016
    Sorry have to agree many of the articles are maybe self censored bias towards the game companies then to the user. Understand the site makes money on ads, so it wouldn't be in "mmorpg" best interest to not bash games with an honest hard review. Youtubers offer more of honest review of games. Video reviews are king these days too. Unless you have a really skillful writer.

Good lucks and have fun. 
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Wizardry said:
    I am not talking about straight up advertising,we know what to expect there as there are laws to govern that as well as unfair marketing laws.I would talk more about misleading articles and reviews where their REAL agenda is to generate $$$ and NOT articles based on passionate gaming.
    Sounds like someone read a positive article about a game he hates. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited April 2016
    The way i see it, is that the genre is in a slump, so there's not new material for new titles, except for update notes and expansion details.

If it were to focus on just MMO's, it would be covering games that are 5+ years old already.  GW2, ESO, FFXIV, etc..  are all nearing around 3-4 years old already.  The newest games are asian titles such as AA and BDO.  The only upcoming major titles are kickstarter projects such as Crowfall and Star Citizen.

I don't mind single player games being covered, as long as they have some form of RPG elements to them.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    no offense to the staff trying to keep this site unbiased but I think before admins should take into consideration any criticism about this site they should look at the posters history. Lets be honest here there is a VERY and I mean VERY vocal sub community here that pretty much hates every game being released today and is in search of that perfect mmorpg that is never going to happen. They hate themeparks on this site, they hate open world pvp, they hate graphics, they hate story etc. The culture here on this site honestly seems to be to hate everything released nowadays. Nothing is ever good enough and nothing is ever worth anything to certain people. I think the issue is people and companies have changed but some of the gamers are still living under a rock and not adapting to the new culture. While there is nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in, I think hating everything is just going to stress yourself out and your going to be bitter. I think people just cannot seem to move on from hobbies very much even though they hate the current versions.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    freakky said:
    Sorry have to agree many of the articles are maybe self censored bias towards the game companies then to the user. Understand the site makes money on ads, so it wouldn't be in "mmorpg" best interest to not bash games with an honest hard review. Youtubers offer more of honest review of games. Video reviews are king these days too. Unless you have a really skillful writer.

Actually, you'd be surprised how many YT folks are paid to endorse a game and don't announce it. It's like organized crime for nerds. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Honestly i dont give a single care about what they post.As long as my weekly reviews ( i check this website everyday for at least an hour even if i dont type many comments and i embrace this concept like a 1960 dad embraces his newspaper) are there i just enjoy them."Let the people do what they do" i think when the subject is money, like the other side of the world is not corrupt and like this world is not based on corruption itself.Meh.

I wouldnt mind if they took large amounts of money for paid reviews.One can see the difference within the article regarding honesty if reads deeply enough. ( its a gaming site ffs )

I like the site, appreciate people doing their work and never ever thought of complaining about something.
    Unlike @Wizardry which in time became one of the most negative members i believe.And this belief is not based on some short term observation, im talking of months and months, years and years of  posts.

I dont mean any offense but since i dont actively write here in this site, i just wanted to get it out.

beLIEve

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well if there was a better site that focused more on MMORPGs and less on games I'd be there in a flash.

It's just they're out of business as MMORPGs have gone out of style.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's my favorite gaming site by far so I have absolutely zero problem with the expanded coverage. The name of the site is MMORPG.com but that's just a legacy issue and literal-minded people just need to get over that.

I especially love the coverage here of single player, co-op or minimally multi player RPGs and even those genre bending RPG-lite games that are not so easy to pin down.

I do see the lunatic fringe posts subtly or not so subtly alleging pay for review shenanigans. Not surprising really since the whole gamergate thing insinuates itself into all gaming sites these days. But all gaming sites have chaff from posters. At least here it's moderated to a dull grumbling.

The staff here is professional and very reasonable in their reviews and forum participation. As an old dead-head I'll just say keep on truckin.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Torval said:

The main site really needs its update. Not much to say there other than I'll be glad when it happens. The new forums are a huge improvement, despite some kinks, and do continue to improve.

The site definitely needs an upgrade.  I've been here since around 2004 and i think it's only changed once or twice, which were subtle changes anyway.  I can't say i'm a fan of the new forums though. [insert old smiley with thumb]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I personally think post like the OP are actually part of the bigger issue in gaming.  We have these people some are part of the entitlement generation and some old school who have come up with this thought that game developers or website employees need to call them to get their input.  I for one never will understand this mentality.  I'm not saying feedback is bad I'm saying when it goes beyond feedback like the OP clearly did its an issue in my opinion.  

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I personally think post like the OP are actually part of the bigger issue in gaming.  We have these people some are part of the entitlement generation and some old school who have come up with this thought that game developers or website employees need to call them to get their input.  I for one never will understand this mentality.  I'm not saying feedback is bad I'm saying when it goes beyond feedback like the OP clearly did its an issue in my opinion.  
    OT
    what is up with Bars on peoples pictures?
    I was bad...or the mods thought I was bad there are some people on here they protect but that's off topic and I don't expect them to call me and explain it I just deal with the bars...and an occasional red avatar lol. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

OT
    what is up with Bars on peoples pictures?
    I was bad...or the mods thought I was bad there are some people on here they protect but that's off topic and I don't expect them to call me and explain it I just deal with the bars...and an occasional red avatar lol. 
    Anyone with a revered name as that should never have bars! =)
    I agree!  
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Well, I agree.

I really wish developers would stop all this nonsense and go back to the time when they would develop a game without engaging the "community". No early access, no iterative development with players.

I miss the days when you anticipated a title until it was released, you bought it, played it, and you either loved the game game or hated it. No months or years of constant bickering and constant changes triggered by listening to these people. As if players know what the hell they're talking about anyway. This is what happens when schools tell children, "You can achieve anything!", but that's a discussion for another time.

I remember reading an interview with Nick Raskulinecz, the record producer, who said one of the great things about music and computers was the ability to significantly reduce the cost of production. However, one of the bad things was it enabled people who had no business being musicians or in the music industry to become stars. I'm starting to think early access has caused the same issue in game development.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284
    I've been coming to this site since 2004 and writing/working here since 2005. We all work hard looking for good games. If you follow the game industry (as we all do) for the past decade it went from MMOs, to Mobile, to MOBA, to right now esports (yes I know MOBAs are esports). I just came back from PAX and that is the trend. The best thing about MMOs is that they have spawned so many great ideas into other games. Now almost every game has to deal with the menu that MMOs created years ago. They are trying to win players and keep them. 

It has always been our job to find great games that we think MMO players would like. RPGs are a huge part of our industry and there was a time when we did not touch them. However, RPG is still in our title and after a long time we took the leap to start coverage. As a player I put down MMOs all the time to try a new RPG then go back to the MMO. My bet is that all of us do that. 

I also think the trend will swing back where MMOs are growing again. The rise of so many indie MMO titles out there are shaping what games we will play over the next few years. 

So yes, we are a game site that focuses in Online Games and RPGs. That covers a lot of ground in 2016 than it did back in 2003. We can promise one thing, we will look for the best games that we think MMO players will enjoy. 

:p 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    garrett said:
    I've been coming to this site since 2004 and writing/working here since 2005. We all work hard looking for good games. If you follow the game industry (as we all do) for the past decade it went from MMOs, to Mobile, to MOBA, to right now esports (yes I know MOBAs are esports). I just came back from PAX and that is the trend. The best thing about MMOs is that they have spawned so many great ideas into other games. Now almost every game has to deal with the menu that MMOs created years ago. They are trying to win players and keep them. 

It has always been our job to find great games that we think MMO players would like. RPGs are a huge part of our industry and there was a time when we did not touch them. However, RPG is still in our title and after a long time we took the leap to start coverage. As a player I put down MMOs all the time to try a new RPG then go back to the MMO. My bet is that all of us do that. 

I also think the trend will swing back where MMOs are growing again. The rise of so many indie MMO titles out there are shaping what games we will play over the next few years. 

So yes, we are a game site that focuses in Online Games and RPGs. That covers a lot of ground in 2016 than it did back in 2003. We can promise one thing, we will look for the best games that we think MMO players will enjoy. 

You lost your bet. I haven't played any single player games since Fallout 3 launched, and only EVE for almost 2 years now.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have to say a  little bit...
    I do feel really good that Craig is actually paying attention to this site,but i still feel VERY strongly that he is either not being fully honest or his staff is not being fully honest with him.
    I have to ALWAYS use examples because i get immature people saying i talk nonsense sometimes,i guess they are not intelligent enough to figure it out.

I will post one such example >>>>RipprX and his reviews.
    It is not even 100% about ME or weather i accept them,they look 100% FAKE and borderline dishonest>>>misleading  or what i call INDIRECT advertising.

Indirect or misleading information is a form of non posted advertising.In other words you can look at the "black n white" that says we are not doing anything unethical but when you read 100% POSITIVE reviews on EVERY single game by a PAID writer/reviewer sub contracted employee it looks REAL bad.

He KNOWS how to do his videos,that create a POSITIVE monetary vibe and more often than not the site itself seems to WANT to reinforce nothing but positive vibes for every single game becuause it spurns advertising dollars.

I might ,well i guarantee i am not the best English major out there but i would say that MOST understand exactly what i am talking about and know there is OFTEN forms of unethical agenda going on.it bothers me because it is DISHONEST.Anyone with even a remote sense of good judgment can tell when a review of a game is HEART felt truthful passion or just baiting the game developer/publisher into spending money here.
    Past results have PROVEN it to be obvious,reviews happen then 1-3 days later that same game has banner ads,coincidence not on your life.
    So it becomes a battle between ETHICS which btw DO have laws and HONESTY and MONEY/profits.NOBODY would ever say you should not make profits,that to me is a bit of a cop out to even use that statement,we all know money and profits are important.

All i ask is HONESTY.too much to ask?BTW avoiding known problems with a game or problem areas of it's design and monetary systems is the same as lying or trying to mislead people.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.