Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we just agree that the state of mmorpgs have gotten worse in 2016 so far?

15678911»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

OT, no, I still don't think we can agree, after 2 days I still feel the same about it  :p

do you ever think that there will be agreement on this forum? Has that actually happened?
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited April 2016

Xorian7 said:
    Xorian7 said:
    Moirae said:
    What people need to get over is that it costs to play these games. Deal with it. It's the f2p aspect thats destroying the industry. 

hmm .. i just played Marvel Heroes for 30 min .. costs me nothing except electricity. Deal with it. Some of us can play f2p without paying a dime. 

Sure, it costs the whales, but I am not one of them. 
    I thought we where talking about mmorpgs, marvel heroes is mmo lite at best, but its good for what it is, and I dont know any mmorpgs that are fun for free.
    We are. This site classified MH 2016 as a MMORPG. You don't think you are the one who control the definition for all websites, do you?
    You really dont want to have this conversation with me but I guess by those standards league of legends and warframe are mmorpgs. And I dont know anyone who really agrees that mh is an mmorpg.
    that's where you'd be wrong. . .I agree with him.  though I dont play that game for free   ive spent around $800 on it over the course of 2142 hours played on steam. I also know that one can play MH (as well as numberous other F2P titles) and fully enjoy it without spending one red cent.

but on to a more pressing issue

i see that you just used a tried and true internet forum argument tactic, that is to say instead of disproving that nariusseldon could possibly play a game like MH for free, you simply dismissed his argument by moving the goalposts from a f2p game to a f2p MMORPG. stop that.
    Post edited by sayuu on
    sayuu said:

i see that you just used a tried and true internet forum argument tactic, that is to say instead of disproving that nariusseldon could possibly play a game like MH for free, you simply dismissed his argument by moving the goalposts from a f2p game to a f2p MMORPG. stop that.
    That is ok .. i think he understands what he is not able to do (prove anything), so he does what he can (moving the goalpost). I understand. 
  • Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    sayuu said:
    Xorian7 said:
    Xorian7 said:
    Moirae said:
    What people need to get over is that it costs to play these games. Deal with it. It's the f2p aspect thats destroying the industry. 

hmm .. i just played Marvel Heroes for 30 min .. costs me nothing except electricity. Deal with it. Some of us can play f2p without paying a dime. 

I thought we where talking about mmorpgs, marvel heroes is mmo lite at best, but its good for what it is, and I dont know any mmorpgs that are fun for free.
    We are. This site classified MH 2016 as a MMORPG. You don't think you are the one who control the definition for all websites, do you?
    You really dont want to have this conversation with me but I guess by those standards league of legends and warframe are mmorpgs. And I dont know anyone who really agrees that mh is an mmorpg.
    Xorian7 said:
    Xorian7 said:
    Moirae said:

that's where you'd be wrong. . .I agree with him.  though I dont play that game for free   ive spent around $800 on it over the course of 2142 hours played on steam. I also know that one can play MH (as well as numberous other F2P titles) and fully enjoy it without spending one red cent.

but on to a more pressing issue

I can see your using a tried and true internet tactic considering he mentioned one game which isnt even an mmorpg not to mention very fun playing the same content all the time to grind out unlocking more characters, also this thread was never about if you can play f2p games for free in the first place hence the tried and true tactics of distracting the topic.
    edited April 2016
    Xorian7 said:
     And I dont know anyone who really agrees that mh is an mmorpg.
    because you don't know many people? Is "you don't know anyone" really a strong argument? By the same logic, I also don't know anyone who play minecraft .. i guess no one is playing it.

The sysop of this site obviously agree that MH is a MMORPG, and sysop of many other websites. I guess you do not know them. 
    I know lots, how can you even make that kind of assumption? I dont care what the site saids its not an mmorpg, I guess diablo 3 is an mmorpg to. Path of exile has far more in common with an mmorpg then marvel heroes.
  • MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Xorian7 said:
    So after a long break I tried to look back into mmorpgs again, owning guild wars 2 I decided to look into it and yep same problems as before, many things are still not even being looked into and the same knee jerk force into playstyles people dont want to play.

I finally gave into neverwinter and gave it a try and loved it but people still complain about p2w at endgame and pvp and its really to bad because I really liked the combat and customization, not to mention its fantasy which I enjoy allot.

I tried blade and soul and it was a cool game but I couldnt get past that story and voice acting.

Ive looked into others but really they are buy to play and im not going to spend my money without a free trial im talking about black desert and eso right now.

I wouldnt mind giving wow another go if I could get into the combat but I cannot, if that was the case id just go back to eq1, hek I would of went back long ago, I couldnt even get back into eq2, single player rpgs have ruined mmorpgs for me lol.

And i already knew everything about the others and looked at them again and yep still in horrible states. So objectively this seems to be the case, and people need to learn to agree on this.

mmorpgs are what they are maybe you have changed as the games have also changed but the net-net is take them or leave them..its that simple. I still  play wow and enjoy it for what it is not what it is not.  Do I agree with all the changes over the years? No. Is anyone forcing me to play? No. Will moaning on the boards help? No. So play on I will until I dont. Who knows what tomorrow will bring....
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    I'm not really sure that the state of MMORPGs is in a bad place as much as they are shifting direction to try and target another generation of players, some of which are really more interested in games found on mobile systems like smart phones and tablets.  

Companies are doing this because they want to find the next big alchemical mix for success, but I'm highly skeptical of the directions taken by some of these companies, such as WoW with Warlords of Draenor.
    Xorian7 said:

I know lots, how can you even make that kind of assumption? I dont care what the site saids its not an mmorpg, I guess diablo 3 is an mmorpg to. Path of exile has far more in common with an mmorpg then marvel heroes.
    "you know lots" .. that is your argument?

How about factually .. this site classified MH as a MMORPG. Obviously you don't care anyone who says something different from you.

But hey .. you are just a random dude on the internet who claims "you know lots". At least website owners spend the effort of putting up a website and maintain a list.

Guess whom I am going to listen to?
    edited April 2016
    Xorian7 said:

How about factually .. this site classified MH as a MMORPG. Obviously you don't care anyone who says something different from you.

But hey .. you are just a random dude on the internet who claims "you know lots". At least website owners spend the effort of putting up a website and maintain a list.

Your right I dont care what a site classifies it as, its simply not the correct genre, it has mmo elements but it really isnt an mmorpg, where does it say I have to agree with the label? I said I know allot of people if you read what I was replying to. And I do know lots of mmorpgs and I have  played lots of mmorpgs. I do know allot of things and im sure you do to.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't see much difference between today and 1/1 (2016), besides EQN cancellation but that wasn't a total surprise even if it was a sad thing. So, no. I don't think we are worst off now. 

We are worst of then 5 or 10 years ago, far more AAA MMOs in development then, at least western ones. But on the plus side are there some new thinking crowd funded games in development, if one of them are really good things would turn fast.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Loke666 said:
    I don't see much difference between today and 1/1 (2016), besides EQN cancellation but that wasn't a total surprise even if it was a sad thing. So, no. I don't think we are worst off now. 

We are worst of then 5 or 10 years ago, far more AAA MMOs in development then, at least western ones. But on the plus side are there some new thinking crowd funded games in development, if one of them are really good things would turn fast.
    What people are lamenting most likely is the transition to faster, more immediate reward systems in online titles compared to the old days.  World of Warcraft basically went down this route and can almost be played with just 10 minutes of free time available.  Assuming a person doesn't do garrison choirs.
    Xorian7 said:
    Xorian7 said:

Your right I dont care what a site classifies it as, its simply not the correct genre, it has mmo elements but it really isnt an mmorpg, where does it say I have to agree with the label? I said I know allot of people if you read what I was replying to. And I do know lots of mmorpgs and I have  played lots of mmorpgs. I do know allot of things and im sure you do to.
    hmm ... repeating what you have said does not make your argument stronger. And clearly you don't agree with this site.

But again, why should i listen to you than this and other websites?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited April 2016
    Wrong place
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Xorian7 said:
    nariusseldon said:
    Xorian7 said:

How about factually .. this site classified MH as a MMORPG. Obviously you don't care anyone who says something diff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA
    erent from you.

edited April 2016
    Xorian7 said:
    Xorian7 said:

hmm ... repeating what you have said does not make your argument stronger. And clearly you don't agree with this site.

But again, why should i listen to you than this and other websites?

I didnt repeat anything I simply confirmed I really dont care. And what makes you think I care if you believe me or not? No offense I just dont. But you seem to think things either have to be one extreme or another the game is not mmo complete, thats like saying a game like zelda is a full blown rpg just because there is progression when its really an adventure game.

Does marvel heroes have mmo elements? Yes it does and its really good for what it is/
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited April 2016
    Moirae said:

And its that mind set that will cause the game to fail. How exactly do you think they pay for servers, electricity? Employees? Devs? Think about it. You just robbed them of 30 minutes of cash that could pay for the development of expansions or new games because you're cheap. You don't get to go in to a restaurant, demand a meal, then leave without paying, and think you will get away with it. But that's exactly what people like you think they deserve. And not just once either. You want to do this repeatedly for days, months or even years. 
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Xorian7 said:
    Jeebus...you people would argue anything
    Whats your pic of?
    Rev Jim...Taxi

(before your time?)
    Thats Fred Sanford.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Moirae said:

And its that mind set that will cause the game to fail. How exactly do you think they pay for servers, electricity? Employees? Devs? 
    The whales?

And many f2p games are not failing, but striving, while most players don't pay a dime. It is not exactly a secret that a whale will pay lots of money for even simple games.

In fact, look up the other topic. The top 1% (whales) of PAYING customers pay 58% of all revenue in mobile games.

It is silly to assume everyone has to pay for games to survive. Heck, I even play 5 min of candy crush without paying a cent. Don't tell me that game is failing.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    You should really check out the thread regarding the truth about Titan. Man were you ever wrong.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Moirae said:
    Moirae said:

And its that mind set that will cause the game to fail. How exactly do you think they pay for servers, electricity? Employees? Devs? Think about it. You just robbed them of 30 minutes of cash that could pay for the development of expansions or new games because you're cheap. You don't get to go in to a restaurant, demand a meal, then leave without paying, and think you will get away with it. But that's exactly what people like you think they deserve. And not just once either. You want to do this repeatedly for days, months or even years. 
    Dude chill not everyone has money to spend and marvel makes plenty of money and I doubt it costs that much to run compared to mmorpgs, he didnt rob them for playing 30 min lol wow unbelievable.  Maybe if the market would come out with better games and not try to rip people off with over priced cosmetics it wouldnt be such an issue, look at path of exile that game has done so well because people want to support the game because the devs actually care and there are no pay to win aspects it doesnt even have huge grind walls, its all cosmetics.
    Sukiyaki said:

Not particularly speaking about any specific person of course since the are "lots of people" who misslabel the most blatantly obvious non-mmos as mmos now right?

are you talking about the operators of this website, or do you agree with their definition of MMO in the game list here?