Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, what's going on with the Repopulation?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Zeplini said:
    What's going on. They finally decided to wake up to the fact that the hero engine sucks donkey balls and are re-writing the whole thing on the Unreal engine instead. Time consuming but worth it in the long run.
    Unreal is a great engine, but not great for MMO's...... UDK was even worse...Look at Mortal Online, what a mess...and it was made with UDK, then to Unreal 4.... So Unreal yes can make some great games, but not great for open world MMO's at all...That is why Hero was used, because it was a great MMO engine and the price for indies was right... So before you bash understand how games are made....    Also heavy on performance and lighting issues, that they will fight with being not that experienced..... I use it professionally and Unreal can be a pain ... So with an indie company oh they are going to suffer to..Because Repopulation will NOT pay real developers to help them.,.... They pay mainly people who game for a living...Now the few main developers have  backend  experience and I believe networking, but I know they lack when it comes to the actually development aspect and listen to someone who never made a game in there life....  In Hero there UI was a mess...and they never would listen to anyone that does it for a living... So once they stop with that nonsense and hire some real developers to help them, just maybe they would have a chance... That is my 2 cents.
    I agree, hero engine is pretty good and the set up seemed perfect for indies, 2 major mmo's use it so it cant be that bad, only issue is the company was run by a bunch of morons.

I hope the repop pull it off, would be sad to see it turn into a fail
    No, only 1 MMO has used it, and they had to massively modify it even then, and it still didn't scale well. There was a very good reason that Hero Engine didn't get picked up by other developers, and thats because it just wasn't good enough, if it had been, they wouldn't have gone out of business.
    Hero Engine became a victim of Darwins Law.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It'll happen. Just afew years off yet.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    edited April 2016
    GeezerGamer said:

What I read on their site.....It wasn't confusing. That link is still up on Repop's site. If that wording is incorrect or misleading, I suggest they have it corrected and let people know that there is still the intention of releasing a sandbox MMORPG. 

Otherwise, people might get the idea that some SWG spiritual successor is somewhere in the works.
    Sorry, I'm not sure which part is confusing? If you can point it out, I'll see to get it corrected.

Let me repeat this so it is clear : ABT is making a sandbox MMORPG.

Burntvet said:
    Proving again that crowdfunding and MMOs do not mix.

SPGs, fine. Other kinds of games, why not?

MMORPGs, no: the timeline to get anything decent is too long, and the amount of money required to get a good result is too much.

Crowdfunding is a tool, and not every tool is right for every job.

There are many crowdfunded MMOs that are pending release or have already released : http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/02/make-my-mmo-april-2-2016/

That being said, I agree it is different in terms of development cycle vs. other games or software. Backers should understand that and producers should make sure they do.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Is somebody playing with the hype meter?
    As far as I can tell the game is not repopulating...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Burntvet said:

MMORPGs, no: the timeline to get anything decent is too long, and the amount of money required to get a good result is too much.

There are many crowdfunded MMOs that are pending release or have already released : http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/02/make-my-mmo-april-2-2016/

That being said, I agree it is different in terms of development cycle vs. other games or software. Backers should understand that and producers should make sure they do.
    Not to nitpick or anything, but nothing on that list that has released that is to be considered an actual MMO. Lots of crap and lots of canceled/abandoned/no one knows.

Elite:Dangerous comes the closest, but even that had a lot of outside investor money. And it was mediocre/unfinished on many levels.

The next time there is a quality, well made, non 8-bit, majority crowdfunded MMO launched, it will be the first time.

The only game that would maybe fall into that category with be Star Citizen, and that that will likely be far less than what was promised (especially for the amount of money raised).

As far as I can tell the game is not repopulating...
    Can't wait for the day we can go back to repopulating :D
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I'm still waiting on this game... I don't want to try it until it's ready.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Burntvet said:

A real pity you don't get your facts straight,the only reason Repop has stalled is because of the parent company of the Hero engine not providing the quality of service for ABT,so ABT have had Fragmented in development for a while maybe as a backup plan.

As for Repop the game was damn near feature complete and would have hit a late beta stage this year,.but you need servers and Idea Fabrik should  provide that and much more as a whole package.

And you say Mo's don't belong on Kickstarter check out Project Gorgon developed by 2 people one an ex Everquest Vet and his wife,currently as I type this it is sitting at number 2 in the hype chart !,backed this as well btw.  =)

p>
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    jozeph said:
    Assuming ABT is able to deliever a game.......... What exactly is this game that ABT is going to deliver? As I understand, it's gone from a classic sandbox style MMORPG to a shooter. If that's the case, Nahh, not interested.
    That's only a stepping stone. They will make a survival game with assets from the game, to earn some money. The survival game is a basic version of the future MMORPG. They are still working on the MMORPG.
    Sounds a lot like the story of 38 Studios and look how well that all turned out. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Kyleran said:
    jozeph said:
    Assuming ABT is able to deliever a game.......... What exactly is this game that ABT is going to deliver? As I understand, it's gone from a classic sandbox style MMORPG to a shooter. If that's the case, Nahh, not interested.
    That's only a stepping stone. They will make a survival game with assets from the game, to earn some money. The survival game is a basic version of the future MMORPG. They are still working on the MMORPG.
    Sounds a lot like the story of 38 Studios and look how well that all turned out. ;)
    Completely different story, but I can see why you're comparing. The difference with 38 is that they had a lot of private investors money and they mismanaged it. ABT got into issues with a business partner and now had to reinvest their own self and $$$ into it to produce Fragmented to push ABT and the next version of TR forward.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    darker70 said:
    Burntvet said:

A real pity you don't get your facts straight,the only reason Repop has stalled is because of the parent company of the Hero engine not providing the quality of service for ABT,so ABT have had Fragmented in development for a while maybe as a backup plan.

As for Repop the game was damn near feature complete and would have hit a late beta stage this year,.but you need servers and Idea Fabrik should  provide that and much more as a whole package.

And you say Mo's don't belong on Kickstarter check out Project Gorgon developed by 2 people one an ex Everquest Vet and his wife,currently as I type this it is sitting at number 2 in the hype chart !,backed this as well btw.  =)

At the end of the day, the why doesn't matter, only the what. Everyone has excuses as to why their crowdfunded MMO failed.

But up to now, they have pretty much all failed.

People "pledged" (but really pre-purchased) the Repop, it did not launch when it was supposed to, and promised to, and it got sent back to the drawing board for 3 more years of development.

People paid for a completed game, and didn't get it.

End of story.

Burntvet said:
    darker70 said:
    Burntvet said:

At the end of the day, the why doesn't matter, only the what. Everyone has excuses as to why their crowdfunded MMO failed.

People "pledged" (but really pre-purchased) the Repop, it did not launch when it was supposed to, and promised to, and it got sent back to the drawing board for 3 more years of development.

End of story.

They will get it, will just take more time. No one said it was cancelled.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    What's up with the hype meter anyway, Zod?
    I actually look at the hype meter periodically.  Not for the hype, but sometimes a game pops up that I haven't been watching, so I go take a quick look.  Not what it was intended for, but it keeps me 'in the loop' so to speak.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Phry said:
    Zeplini said:
    What's going on. They finally decided to wake up to the fact that the hero engine sucks donkey balls and are re-writing the whole thing on the Unreal engine instead. Time consuming but worth it in the long run.
    Unreal is a great engine, but not great for MMO's...... UDK was even worse...Look at Mortal Online, what a mess...and it was made with UDK, then to Unreal 4.... So Unreal yes can make some great games, but not great for open world MMO's at all...That is why Hero was used, because it was a great MMO engine and the price for indies was right... So before you bash understand how games are made....    Also heavy on performance and lighting issues, that they will fight with being not that experienced..... I use it professionally and Unreal can be a pain ... So with an indie company oh they are going to suffer to..Because Repopulation will NOT pay real developers to help them.,.... They pay mainly people who game for a living...Now the few main developers have  backend  experience and I believe networking, but I know they lack when it comes to the actually development aspect and listen to someone who never made a game in there life....  In Hero there UI was a mess...and they never would listen to anyone that does it for a living... So once they stop with that nonsense and hire some real developers to help them, just maybe they would have a chance... That is my 2 cents.
    I agree, hero engine is pretty good and the set up seemed perfect for indies, 2 major mmo's use it so it cant be that bad, only issue is the company was run by a bunch of morons.

No, only 1 MMO has used it, and they had to massively modify it even then, and it still didn't scale well. There was a very good reason that Hero Engine didn't get picked up by other developers, and thats because it just wasn't good enough, if it had been, they wouldn't have gone out of business.
    elder scrolls and old republic. sums  up to two :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    This is depressing.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    mgilbrtsn said:
    What's up with the hype meter anyway, Zod?
    I actually look at the hype meter periodically.  Not for the hype, but sometimes a game pops up that I haven't been watching, so I go take a quick look.  Not what it was intended for, but it keeps me 'in the loop' so to speak.
    This is exactly how I use the hype meter.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Burntvet said:
    darker70 said:
    Burntvet said:

End of story.

Being someone who has developed games, I would never ever, ever do a KS even with my 15 years experience of development and I have my degree in game development... and I will tell you why.... For one to many  things can happen that you may foreseen  ,   Which happens all the time in development, also money is always an issue, always....   I worked for large and small companies and now my own.... I stick to smaller scales games now, because you should spent the time on making money for larger projects and the company to buy software.... Another reason is you should be building a team that  you can depend on, which is not easy in the gaming industry....     

So I tell others this all the time, stop making a KS game as your first game!!!!!! I do not care how many years you programmed, or  did some 3d work.... or what ever...    I do not care if your a gamer, no offense gamer's you do not know what you think you know..TRUST ME I was the same way before...  

DO you know how many people finish college for game development??/ Very few I went to college with  hundreds of people in my class, and only about 30 of us finished...   To many people think game development is all fun and games an so easy...Well it's not!! It's real work, and a real skills... Plus the main issue so many fail...They have no business sense what's so ever..... They think hiring interns, or so called  graphic's designer to do the UI , or hire a 3D guy to do the UI....or some wanna be programmer to do the net code...

So  people stop using KS as a way to make your dream game, make small games like flappy birds... or Pac Man.... or w/e...Then after awhile build up from there and make single player games for mobile and atleast get a few games making money and successful... Then build your team with larger games, move to co-op, local co-op or what ever.... Then you can make games like Ark.. or The Forest...    I personally would not make MMO's  until your company has been around for years... Yes you can make these games with less money then some say with the right  team... But it will still close alot... Be smart about how you spent your money... Most do not...

Anyways now that I left other company's a year or so ago, I  have  started this process and it is working so far.

Do you need a degree...No...You do not need...Do you need skills, yes, just because you used Unity for a few months does not make you a programmer.... Practice alot...  Stop using KS.... and EA in Steam, just to make your self look stupid with a buggy horrible game..

Oh to the gamers Asset Store in Unity and Unreal are NOT bad, so stop crying, and saying it is, I do contact work for AAA and indie's and its the same process...Do you think people like Blizzard make the whole game?? No they do not..,They contract people out..The asset store is the same thing, indies are contract work  out by , buying a tool that will help them finish the game, with out the asset stores they would never finish games........So understand this is a  normal process for ALL companies!!  

Sorry if I got off topic a bit, but I wanted to explain why KS fails.... 
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Phry said:
    Zeplini said:

The Main reason is not that Hero was bad, because I have used it, it is actually limited to only MMO's..

Most AAA companies that made MMO's had there own engine..... and MMO development has slowed down alot through the years from AAA....Also more popular engines out there that indies use such as Unreal 4,  Unity is free.... and you aren't limited ...Hero it is mainly for MMORPG's   That is it...

Other companies did use it , but they aren't as known as SWTOR....   I  said since day 1 not to use Hero unless they do what SWTOR did and buy the license , they said they couldn t afford it... I would of never done that, because of what happen, you should never be at the mercy of anyone..
  • PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited June 2016
    payed for an AAA swg like MMO; played some times, few months ago, the game was not bad but it's over now
    I have a CCC Ark like fps
    cannot have refund
    i'm done 
    I'm sure devs are serious but they need 2 or 3 years of hard work more
    We can say it's a dead project  :(
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    @Holyavenger1 ;

I had written this game off as a lost $100, but with my recent disappointments in SWG EMU I think I will be playing Repopulation once it's finished. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Archlyte said:
    @Holyavenger1 ;

I had written this game off as a lost $100, but with my recent disappointments in SWG EMU I think I will be playing Repopulation once it's finished. 
    What are those? They just pushed publish 8 and after years of thinking it ran like crap myself, it seems they got it working (well besides all the server reboots) I'm not gonna say it's the best thing ever cause we all know pre-cu was pretty broken and unbalanced, but you can at least play it and get it out of your system. I kinda look at it as a great museum visit.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited June 2016
    I"ll wait for repop reborn. As I see nothing interesting in MMO world since... 10 years ?  and i'll wait for pantheon too. for same  reasons.
  • XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Burntvet said:
    darker70 said:
    Burntvet said:

End of story.

Being someone who has developed games, I would never ever, ever do a KS even with my 15 years experience of development and I have my degree in game development... and I will tell you why.... For one to many  things can happen that you may foreseen  ,   Which happens all the time in development, also money is always an issue, always....   I worked for large and small companies and now my own.... I stick to smaller scales games now, because you should spent the time on making money for larger projects and the company to buy software.... Another reason is you should be building a team that  you can depend on, which is not easy in the gaming industry....     

So I tell others this all the time, stop making a KS game as your first game!!!!!! I do not care how many years you programmed, or  did some 3d work.... or what ever...    I do not care if your a gamer, no offense gamer's you do not know what you think you know..TRUST ME I was the same way before...  

DO you know how many people finish college for game development??/ Very few I went to college with  hundreds of people in my class, and only about 30 of us finished...   To many people think game development is all fun and games an so easy...Well it's not!! It's real work, and a real skills... Plus the main issue so many fail...They have no business sense what's so ever..... They think hiring interns, or so called  graphic's designer to do the UI , or hire a 3D guy to do the UI....or some wanna be programmer to do the net code...

So  people stop using KS as a way to make your dream game, make small games like flappy birds... or Pac Man.... or w/e...Then after awhile build up from there and make single player games for mobile and atleast get a few games making money and successful... Then build your team with larger games, move to co-op, local co-op or what ever.... Then you can make games like Ark.. or The Forest...    I personally would not make MMO's  until your company has been around for years... Yes you can make these games with less money then some say with the right  team... But it will still close alot... Be smart about how you spent your money... Most do not...

Anyways now that I left other company's a year or so ago, I  have  started this process and it is working so far.

Do you need a degree...No...You do not need...Do you need skills, yes, just because you used Unity for a few months does not make you a programmer.... Practice alot...  Stop using KS.... and EA in Steam, just to make your self look stupid with a buggy horrible game..

Oh to the gamers Asset Store in Unity and Unreal are NOT bad, so stop crying, and saying it is, I do contact work for AAA and indie's and its the same process...Do you think people like Blizzard make the whole game?? No they do not..,They contract people out..The asset store is the same thing, indies are contract work  out by , buying a tool that will help them finish the game, with out the asset stores they would never finish games........So understand this is a  normal process for ALL companies!!  

Sorry if I got off topic a bit, but I wanted to explain why KS fails.... 
    At least we know he can't be a coder... with spelling and grammar like that, he'd be fired right after he's caught googling how to spell his first #ifndef
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D